Texas Fishing Forum

Best rod and Reel

Posted By: Cholo

Best rod and Reel - 02/16/15 02:52 PM

Was wanting some opinions on the best rod and reel setup for jig,worm, and chatterbait fishing.
looking to spend around $150 for each.
Posted By: SteezMacQueen

Re: Best rod and Reel - 02/16/15 02:57 PM

You need to reword that! Hah. Best and $150 doesn't compute.

But, on that budget, I'd suggest a Daiwa Tatula combo. Both the rod and reel can be had for $150 each.

Get a 7'4" heavy rod with a high speed ratio reel. This combo would be great for what you are asking for and the high speed reel would let you catch up to a fish quickly for a hook set and reel line quickly to recast. It would allow you more time in the strike zone.
Posted By: jcarring99

Re: Best rod and Reel - 02/16/15 03:03 PM

Yes those "budget" combos are nice. I have several of them. It wasn't that long ago when a 300 dollar combos wasn't considered entry level was it?

Re: Best rod and Reel - 02/16/15 03:07 PM

Originally Posted By: Coach JC
Yes those "budget" combos are nice. I have several of them. It wasn't that long ago when a 300 dollar combos wasn't considered entry level was it?

Haha. No joke! I remember the days when I had to have a state of the household meeting to spend $300 on a combo. Haha. Nowadays, it seems like a bargain. And really... The Tatula stuff, at this price, is a bargain.
Posted By: Countyline22

Re: Best rod and Reel - 02/16/15 03:09 PM

x2 On the Tatula. Great reel for the money.
Posted By: aggiegolfer

Re: Best rod and Reel - 02/16/15 03:13 PM

x3 on the tatula. It's one of the best casters I've ever used, and I just have the standard version.
Posted By: 921 Phoenix

Re: Best rod and Reel - 02/16/15 03:16 PM

I would go Shimano Curado I and Dobyns Savvy 735 or 734 depending on how heavy of a rod you want.
Posted By: Tristen

Re: Best rod and Reel - 02/16/15 03:41 PM

Originally Posted By: 921 Phoenix
I would go Shimano Curado I and Dobyns Savvy 735 or 734 depending on how heavy of a rod you want.

+1 on the reel, love my shimanos. I wouldn't go with a savvy because it isn't sensitive enough for those applications IMO
Posted By: ezbassin

Re: Best rod and Reel - 02/16/15 03:46 PM

Powell Endurance, or Max rod

Daiwa Tatula R
Shimano Curado E or Citica E
Lews Super Duty or BB1 Pro

As for me, I use a different rod for jig, worm and chatter bait, 3 different rod actions.

Re: Best rod and Reel - 02/16/15 03:47 PM

Uh oh. Here comes the "other guys"!

Just kiddin.

There are lots of great choices in the price range.

I'd throw out another one with my Daiwa rec.

A Lews Tournament MG and a Falcon Lowrider XG. Would come in under budget. And with that combo you'd have money left over for some InvisX flourocarbon for it.
Posted By: jcarring99

Re: Best rod and Reel - 02/16/15 03:53 PM

Originally Posted By: SteezMacQueen
Originally Posted By: Coach JC

Haha. No joke! I remember the days when I had to have a state of the household meeting to spend $300 on a combo. Haha. Nowadays, it seems like a bargain. And really... The Tatula stuff, at this price, is a bargain.

For me I can't justify spending 1200 on one combo. That would be insane for me no more than I fish and even if I fished everyday I don't know that I could do it. I know a tatula isn't a steez/antares combo but for actual cost of what I spent on 10 new combos this year I'm very happy with them. The reels cast great and the rods are light and super sensitive.
Posted By: bassman34

Re: Best rod and Reel - 02/16/15 04:00 PM

denali kovert/tatula
Posted By: JoeyC

Re: Best rod and Reel - 02/16/15 06:40 PM

I would suggest also checking out Ebay. You can find some pretty sweet prices on new reels.
Posted By: bigbass94

Re: Best rod and Reel - 02/16/15 07:10 PM

Dobyns Savvy

Abu Garcia Revo SX
Posted By: SlowDown

Re: Best rod and Reel - 02/16/15 07:52 PM

Cholo, for those applications, I think you would be happier with a Medium Heavy rod, rather than a Heavy power rod. Just my opinion, of course, but based on many years of experience. Another rod option is a Shimano Compre Reaction Casting Rod, either 6'8" or the 7'2" Medium Heavy, Extra Fast, for $109.99 at Tackle Warehouse. I would second the suggestion for a Lew's reel, but would make a step up to the Lew's Tournament MB Speed Spool for $139.99. It is light weight (6.7 oz.) and has a multiple breaking system, comes in a 7.5:1 gear ratio. There are a lot of fine rods and reels you can buy in your price range, so don't be concerned about your price limit. Good luck.
Posted By: RChipman11

Re: Best rod and Reel - 02/16/15 08:50 PM

I've been pretty happy with a Dobyns Savvy 735 paired with a Lews Tournament MG. Mostly used for flipping but will handle all those nicely. Although I will be getting the 734 for a dedicated trig rod. This combo should run right around $300
© 2020 Texas Fishing Forum