Texas Fishing Forum

cranking rod

Posted By: bassnbshane

cranking rod - 02/15/15 03:17 AM

looking for a rod for square bills in the 100 to 150$ range any suggestions thanks
Posted By: Thad Rains

Re: cranking rod - 02/15/15 03:56 AM

Do you prefer glass, composite or graphite? They each have their own following. I prefer full graphite, as I know EXACTLY what the bait is doing. Some of the composite rods are the BPS Crankin' Stik, KVD Quantum stick and the Ethos (Academy) brand. Anywhere from $70 to $150 in that list. If you are looking at a newer glass rod, good luck with that price range. Older glass is the old Ugly Stick, good luck with that one, too. Graphite, LOTS of options there. Tell us a little more about what your doing with the square bill and we can get more specific. For intance, are you cranking in stumps, grass, brush, rip-rap? Or are you looking for something that will handle all of those? Just wondering. Hope this helps.

Tight lines, keep safe and good luck.

Thad Rains
Posted By: RiveraTackleCo.

Re: cranking rod - 02/15/15 03:56 AM

Duckett MicroPro 7m crank or Terex 7m Rojas crank special. Both excellent parabolic actions for square bills without feeling heavy. Lightweight and makes slinging cranks fun!
Posted By: SAKS

Re: cranking rod - 02/15/15 03:30 PM

If you are looking to try out a glass rod I seen on Tackle Warehouse under sale items a Lamiglas 7' glass. It is MH/moderate for $78.88. I have two Lamiglas spinning rods and like them just fine. They don't stand out but are nice rods. I use a Powell glass rod but personally I don't find it to be any better than my graphite rods for this technique. Graphite definitely gives you the most choices and chance of finding a rod you will like. I think you should focus more on action and tip(med/moderate) and not so much on brand. At your stated price range I think all brands are going to perform about the same. Just find one that feels and looks good to you.
Posted By: ogles824 (aka Lakewaydr50)

Re: cranking rod - 02/15/15 03:48 PM

Glass rods definitely....... they are stronger and usually cheaper. Medium action for sure. I only buy graphite rods for situations where feeling what the lure is doing is critical such as jig, worm, c-rig, finesse, etc. fishing and for those situations I spend as much as I can afford...........
Posted By: redskeeter190

Re: cranking rod - 02/15/15 05:31 PM

I'd get a Glass rod.....but...I'd get a med/heavy.....you'll be throwing around brush/lay downs...etc....you'll need the extra back bone to get the fish away from the cover.....IMO...
Posted By: Dan21XRS

Re: cranking rod - 02/15/15 05:40 PM

Go with the Falcon Cara Reaction T7 CCB-4-17MR Medium Cranker. Dan
Posted By: bassnbshane

Re: cranking rod - 02/15/15 11:19 PM

thanks for the replies
Posted By: largemouthokie

Re: cranking rod - 02/15/15 11:41 PM

veritas winch series. 100 bucks.
Posted By: Bissett

Re: cranking rod - 02/15/15 11:43 PM

Originally Posted By: Dan A
Go with the Falcon Cara Reaction T7 CCB-4-17MR Medium Cranker. Dan

^This
Posted By: ezbassin

Re: cranking rod - 02/16/15 01:49 AM

Originally Posted By: CarlosRivera
Duckett MicroPro 7m crank or Terex 7m Rojas crank special. Both excellent parabolic actions for square bills without feeling heavy. Lightweight and makes slinging cranks fun!

Good suggestions.
Posted By: Tristen

Re: cranking rod - 02/16/15 02:17 AM

I like my Shimano compre
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum