Texas Fishing Forum

Amistad bad trend

Posted By: 374 Trigger

Amistad bad trend - 02/14/15 04:43 PM

The lake has been on a slow rise for the past few months, real slow just what it has been needing. It reached -29.15 on Wednesday then Thursday it had dropped back to -29.16 today it's fell to 29.18. That is falling faster than it has been rising and now with spawn right on us this ain't good news. Hope this isn't the start of another draw down. Amistad needs a break and so do the small business folks depending on fishermans dollars
Posted By: Der Vorsteher

Re: Amistad bad trend - 02/14/15 09:51 PM

Dem farmers don't care. They need their irrigation water.
Posted By: Frank the Tank

Re: Amistad bad trend - 02/14/15 10:36 PM

If the draw down is due to farmers watering their crops so they can supply food to people, then I'm fine with that. When lakes get drawn down so Jerruh can water his estate, that is bunk.
Posted By: 6BOOMER

Re: Amistad bad trend - 02/14/15 10:42 PM

Mexico owns 47 or 48% of the water rights on the lake. When they need it they take it. The lake is at 1087.88, the high point was 1087.95 this weds. Don't see it falling fast.
Posted By: STEVE B

Re: Amistad bad trend - 02/14/15 11:20 PM

Just watched flw weigh in online. Sure looks like the people that said the fish were just deep not dead were right. Denny was talking crazy deep on where he thought most fish were. 80-120ft? Crazy..
Posted By: Happykamper

Re: Amistad bad trend - 02/15/15 01:12 AM

Originally Posted By: Frank the Tank
If the draw down is due to farmers watering their crops so they can supply food to people, then I'm fine with that. When lakes get drawn down so Jerruh can water his estate, that is bunk.

Who is Jerruh ??
Posted By: Frank the Tank

Re: Amistad bad trend - 02/15/15 01:15 AM

Jerry Jones
Posted By: snickers

Re: Amistad bad trend - 02/15/15 01:24 AM

The fish are still in the lake it just needs grass. They are very deep and you just need to start fishing 60 plus feet. Some are shallow in the bushes and I think in a couple weeks the fishing will get much better. I had a very good practice shallow. I was the only person I saw fishing shallow for the first 3 days and 14 to 17 pounds was easy until the cold front on Friday. so you Amistad guys just hang in there your lake is not dead by no means.
Posted By: leethefishking

Re: Amistad bad trend - 02/15/15 02:43 AM

Snickers , how did you do ?
Posted By: Happykamper

Re: Amistad bad trend - 02/15/15 03:13 AM

Originally Posted By: Frank the Tank
Jerry Jones

Oh, I guess you singled him out because he owns the Cowboys, I did not know that he had water pumped from Amistad to Dallas.
Posted By: hairball

Re: Amistad bad trend - 02/15/15 04:20 AM

If you ever get a chance to fish El Salto in April you will see how little the falling water matters. That thing drops like a toilet flushing. You can see hundreds of beds exposed and the fish just keep on going. They will be fine.

Re: Amistad bad trend - 02/15/15 12:35 PM

38 th had a great time . the north wind shut my fish down but they fired back up at 12.30 on day two and bailed me out of a bad finish My fish were all about 56 degrees water temp. when it cracked that temp it was on I weaved a A rig in and out of bushes in 2 to 4 feet of water and they would not hit it until it got to the boat. very exciting
Originally Posted By: leethefishking
Snickers , how did you do ?
Posted By: Lil joe

Re: Amistad bad trend - 02/15/15 12:45 PM

If the lake fell from 29.16 to 29.18, isn't that going up?
Posted By: grout-scout

Re: Amistad bad trend - 02/15/15 02:08 PM

Originally Posted By: Joel c
If the lake fell from 29.16 to 29.18, isn't that going up?

It's usually -29.16 and -29.18 would be lower, he prob assumed everybody knew that.
Posted By: Lil joe

Re: Amistad bad trend - 02/15/15 02:12 PM

oh, the minus sign, sorry
Posted By: Mr. Greensides

Re: Amistad bad trend - 02/15/15 04:56 PM

cheers Great info.
Posted By: fishnfireman

Re: Amistad bad trend - 02/15/15 06:38 PM

Originally Posted By: STEVE B
Just watched flw weigh in online. Sure looks like the people that said the fish were just deep not dead were right. Denny was talking crazy deep on where he thought most fish were. 80-120ft? Crazy..

Especially when there was a whopping total of two anglers caught a 3 day limit.

Only nine had two day limits... (out of that much talent)?????

Re: Amistad bad trend - 02/15/15 07:21 PM

How many people do you know that fish 80 foot deep ? just curious
Originally Posted By: fishnfireman

Especially when there was a whopping total of two anglers caught a 3 day limit.

Only nine had two day limits... (out of that much talent)?????

Re: Amistad bad trend - 02/15/15 07:29 PM

I know a lot who have tried it...With little to no success.
Even Denny said "my deepest fish came from a little more than 30 feet"

I figure the next few months you should see some decent numbers caught.
But NOTHING compared to before they pulled 60+ feet of water off and killed the Hydrilla.

Re: Amistad bad trend - 02/15/15 07:35 PM

It is because it is not easy. I did not even waste my time. But I did however graph some crazy size schools in 50 plus feet . I think if the lake rises and you get some good grass them big fish you think is gone will re appear. but that is just my opinion . I sure would not give up hope
Originally Posted By: fishnfireman
I know a lot who have tried it...With little to no success.
Even Denny said "my deepest fish came from a little more than 30 feet"

I figure the next few months you should see some decent numbers caught.
But NOTHING compared to before they pulled 60+ feet of water off and killed the Hydrilla.

Re: Amistad bad trend - 02/15/15 07:52 PM

I hope your right about those deep fish. The results from the last three years just show otherwise.... I'm not sure how many of those fish we see on the graph in that deep water are Black Bass!! I figure if they were as many good fisherman as there are around there they would have it figured out. Including Denny he has spent a LOT of time on that lake in the last few years. JMO.

Re: Amistad bad trend - 02/15/15 08:12 PM

I don't know if you remember but I am sure you do it was like 2006 or 2007 and the lake filled up due to a dam break up in mexico and you may correct me if I am wrong but the lake nearly doubled in size and all of a sudden 30 lb bags were common . no way the fish grew that size that fast it went from 12 lb bags to 30 like over night.
Posted By: 361V

Re: Amistad bad trend - 02/15/15 08:41 PM

This same dam problem that caused Mexico to release so much water filled Falcon up past full for the first time in MANYyears and started the epic fishing that people are still talking about.

Re: Amistad bad trend - 02/15/15 08:51 PM

you are correct
Originally Posted By: 361V
This same dam problem that caused Mexico to release so much water filled Falcon up past full for the first time in MANYyears and started the epic fishing that people are still talking about.

Re: Amistad bad trend - 02/15/15 09:12 PM

For some the fishing was Epic way before that fish
Trust me the there were tournaments back in the late 90.s and early 2000 that you better have 25 pounds if you wanted a check..
Posted By: Gilbert M.

Re: Amistad bad trend - 02/15/15 09:48 PM

Talking about deep fish, I caught my fish in 12ft or less for 16.21 with big bass of 6.10 on day 2. So there are good fish shallow on Amistad. The winner caught his fish shallow.

Re: Amistad bad trend - 02/15/15 10:22 PM

All we have is theories, nobody knows for sure. I just cant believe all the damn fish died overnight. It it what it is. Us west texas boys dont have alot of choice anyway , most of our lakes suck or dont have water these days.
Posted By: capt grumpy

Re: Amistad bad trend - 02/15/15 10:53 PM

Gilbert congrats on your 2nd place co-angler

Re: Amistad bad trend - 02/15/15 11:52 PM

we are talking about the 30 lb sacks that use to be common 16 pound bags in 2007 was 2 fish
Originally Posted By: Gilbert M.
Talking about deep fish, I caught my fish in 12ft or less for 16.21 with big bass of 6.10 on day 2. So there are good fish shallow on Amistad. The winner caught his fish shallow.
Posted By: pil,b

Re: Amistad bad trend - 02/15/15 11:54 PM

Better than Ute. peep

Re: Amistad bad trend - 02/16/15 12:37 AM

Originally Posted By: pil,b
Better than Ute. peep

Not so much the last 3 years.. violin

Re: Amistad bad trend - 02/16/15 12:38 AM

Congrats on your finish and thank you for your service and thank you for fishing FLW Good Job
Originally Posted By: Gilbert M.

Re: Amistad bad trend - 02/16/15 12:49 AM

Well, I don't know much but if Ray is the winner and he only had what he had (45 ish pounds right) then I'd say something is different and it's not the deep fish.

Isn't Jeff Kriet an offshore/deeper water fisherman?

Re: Amistad bad trend - 02/16/15 01:11 AM

Denny was saying most fish were between 80 and 120ft dp, not sure anyone can catch em if that is true..

Re: Amistad bad trend - 02/16/15 01:12 AM

Denny was saying most fish were between 80 and 120ft dp, not sure anyone can catch em if that is true..

Aaron Martens, the man is a deep water machine.

Re: Amistad bad trend - 02/16/15 01:19 AM

Ive never been a drop shot guy, nearly have to be to get em that deep, im assuming,.
Originally Posted By: grout-scout

Aaron Martens, the man is a deep water machine.
Posted By: John Anderson

Re: Amistad bad trend - 02/16/15 01:36 AM

Say the fish were in 90 to 120 ft. cloudy conditions, cold front, and wind and trying to fish that 30 to 40ft cone on Day 1 under the boat that the fish may be at is no easy task.

Also no guarantee they are going to eat your bait. There was multiple anglers saying that the could feel there bait being moved but no bites.

I may be over thinking it...
Posted By: B.K.S.

Re: Amistad bad trend - 02/16/15 01:49 AM

I believe all lakes go through cycles of great and not so great fishing,we had a cycle of great fishing at lakes like Amistad,Falcon and some of our other lakes like Ivie and Hubbard Creek.Someone always finds some fish, but except for Falcon I don't know if normal is 30 lb stringers or not.Mabey we just remember the great years better.JMHO.
Posted By: coyotebass

Re: Amistad bad trend - 02/17/15 11:26 PM

i fish alot of deep water there. Amistad always has had a large population of "deep" fish that were fairly consistent to bite. i think the difference now from a few years back is those deep schools arent as tight as they used to be and spend more time kinda wandering. before they would school up tight and be in the general area and easy to mark. now days, you can find them, then gone the next day. IMO
honeslty, these days, if i see 7-8 fish on the graph deep, Im gonna fish em. years back I wouldnt have even made a cast for a small group like that.

Re: Amistad bad trend - 02/18/15 12:02 AM

Looked at the chart today and shows a straight line. fish

Re: Amistad bad trend - 02/18/15 02:43 AM

Originally Posted By: pil,b
Looked at the chart today and shows a straight line. fish

What??? Your EKG chart.. cheers
You be around next week ?

Re: Amistad bad trend - 02/18/15 02:56 AM

Amistad rec. site, Want be there and don't think any one from down this way will. Hope the feds don't close it down. Good luck to you'all. Ketch um up. fish
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum