Texas Fishing Forum

New Mercury Engine Announcement- Anything There For You?

Posted By: PhishWhisperer

New Mercury Engine Announcement- Anything There For You? - 02/12/15 05:22 PM

Well, Mercury just announced their new engines at the Miami International Boat Show: a whopper 350 Verado, a mega-whopper 400R racing Verado, and a huge stern drive. This didn't quite "change the game" for me! I was hoping to see some dramatic innovation in the everyman's horsepower range of, say, 150 to 250, and lighter four-stroke or cleaner two-stroke. I don't know how many customers Mercury sees for these big heavy machines, but I think they forgot about the rest of us!

Anybody want a 350 or 400R Verado on their bass boat?
Posted By: JIM SR.

Re: New Mercury Engine Announcement- Anything There For You? - 02/12/15 05:23 PM

yes I do,..!!
Posted By: Happykamper

Re: New Mercury Engine Announcement- Anything There For You? - 02/12/15 06:03 PM

There Pro XS engines are so good that it is hard to improve on perfection. clap
Posted By: Bullet210

Re: New Mercury Engine Announcement- Anything There For You? - 02/13/15 02:41 AM

^^^^ what he said!!
Posted By: Dubee

Re: New Mercury Engine Announcement- Anything There For You? - 02/13/15 02:48 AM

Any merc vs a yamaha slo.
Posted By: gary purdy

Re: New Mercury Engine Announcement- Anything There For You? - 02/13/15 04:44 PM

Very disappointing. The guy announcing was having problems to boot.
Posted By: fouzman

Re: New Mercury Engine Announcement- Anything There For You? - 02/13/15 04:56 PM

The larger engines are probably for the offshore market.
Posted By: Bass98

Re: New Mercury Engine Announcement- Anything There For You? - 02/13/15 05:22 PM

Originally Posted By: Happykamper
There Pro XS engines are so good that it is hard to improve on perfection. clap

Love mine so far!
Posted By: txmasterpo

Re: New Mercury Engine Announcement- Anything There For You? - 02/13/15 05:58 PM

Someone will mount that 400 on an unlimited HP bass boat hull I bet! I'm not riding in it though!! bolt
Posted By: adam_p

Re: New Mercury Engine Announcement- Anything There For You? - 02/13/15 09:20 PM

They need to knock about 100lbs off of them if they want to market to the bass boat crowd.

Rich at Hydrilla Gear did just rig up a Bullet 20cc with a 350 Verado though, it will be interesting to see what it will do. I doubt it is any better than a 300xs.
Posted By: BThomas

Re: New Mercury Engine Announcement- Anything There For You? - 02/14/15 12:50 AM

Definitely not an answer to the Evinrude G2. Complacency does not keep consumers.
Posted By: Lee in Texas

Re: New Mercury Engine Announcement- Anything There For You? - 02/14/15 01:10 AM

OMG.... roflmao 350 or 400 either one would SINK MY RIG~~~ frkazoid
God Bless

Re: New Mercury Engine Announcement- Anything There For You? - 02/14/15 02:20 AM

Originally Posted By: BThomas
Definitely not an answer to the Evinrude G2. Complacency does not keep consumers.

That's funny, the day Evinrude catches Mercury we will all be dead. banana
Posted By: BThomas

Re: New Mercury Engine Announcement- Anything There For You? - 02/14/15 02:25 AM

BRP has done some great things with Evinrude. Sad that you do not have much longer.

Re: New Mercury Engine Announcement- Anything There For You? - 02/14/15 02:55 AM

BRP has done some great things with Evinrude. Sad that you do not have much longer.

I guess we will see, I figure I have at least another 30 years, comparing Evinrude to Mercury is like comparing Lone Star beer to Budweiser
Posted By: HasBen

Re: New Mercury Engine Announcement- Anything There For You? - 02/14/15 02:56 AM

Evinrude has gone to the top of the list of ugliest motors ever made. As far as the Mercury, I have a 300 and on an unlimited horsepower boat and cannot imagine needing or wanting a 400. I do believe, at that level, weight and balance is going to limit the real extra speed you will get out of that extra 100 horsepower. I really would have liked to see Mercury introduce something more groundbreaking, as long as it was in black.

Re: New Mercury Engine Announcement- Anything There For You? - 02/14/15 03:32 AM

Originally Posted By: HasBen
Evinrude has gone to the top of the list of ugliest motors ever made. As far as the Mercury, I have a 300 and on an unlimited horsepower boat and cannot imagine needing or wanting a 400. I do believe, at that level, weight and balance is going to limit the real extra speed you will get out of that extra 100 horsepower. I really would have liked to see Mercury introduce something more groundbreaking, as long as it was in black.

Like I said, it is hard to improve on perfection. thumb
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum