Texas Fishing Forum

Struggling on Grapevine

Posted By: Justin DuBose

Struggling on Grapevine - 02/12/15 03:27 PM

I gotta be honest....been to Grapevine 4 times in the last few weeks and haven't caught a fish:(
Posted By: J-2

Re: Struggling on Grapevine - 02/12/15 03:34 PM

They packed up and left town. On a related note they didn't stop at Lewisville either.
Posted By: Bovine

Re: Struggling on Grapevine - 02/12/15 04:01 PM

Sad to hear this. I was thinking of fishing grapevine for the first time on Saturday. Was hoping I'd have more luck there than Lewisville.
Posted By: Kevin Bryant

Re: Struggling on Grapevine - 02/12/15 04:03 PM

That's pretty sad. I used to love fishing that lake in the winter time. I cut my football jig teeth out there.
Posted By: JoshMan734

Re: Struggling on Grapevine - 02/12/15 04:35 PM

Ya last 3 trips I have had one bite and was so shocked/surprised I didn't even set the hook! Just felt him drop it! So sad this is the lake I grew up on and have never seen it so tough as the past 6 months
Posted By: JBellZX250

Re: Struggling on Grapevine - 02/12/15 04:57 PM

I always find Grapevine to fish terrible in the winter and early spring. I have noticed with myself I still go to the same spots to fish hoping they will be there but they just are not. My thought is that with everything high and dry I am use to they are grouped up in new areas none of us think to fish. May not be true but the only other theory I have is that they got sucked out of the gate this summer!
Posted By: Miker

Re: Struggling on Grapevine - 02/12/15 04:57 PM

Went Monday with a buddy, Caught 5, two were overs, not very fat though. Lost two others. Fish were caught on crank, jerkbait and trap, couldn't get bit on plastic or jig. Got on the lake around 8:45, no bites after 11. Hope this helps.

Re: Struggling on Grapevine - 02/12/15 05:19 PM

I've never done good on Grapevine, always a struggle and I don't know why. There was a time I went fishing with a fella named Clay Shipe.... He took me to a spot and said we are gonna catch 4 and 5 lbers here....10 cast I think we had a couple of 4 lbers and a 6 to 7 lber come off. smile
Posted By: J-2

Re: Struggling on Grapevine - 02/12/15 05:25 PM

Originally Posted By: Justin DuBose
I've never done good on Grapevine, always a struggle and I don't know why. There was a time I went fishing with a fella named Clay Shipe.... He took me to a spot and said we are gonna catch 4 and 5 lbers here....10 cast I think we had a couple of 4 lbers and a 6 to 7 lber come off. smile

The bromance is strong here.
Posted By: Clay Shipe

Re: Struggling on Grapevine - 02/12/15 06:05 PM

Don't be Jealous
Posted By: Lee in Texas

Re: Struggling on Grapevine - 02/12/15 06:17 PM

Think a LOT of us are suffering the same batting average here lately. The brief warm up we had, water temps warmed and well, many thought now is a good time.
Just hasn't worked out....your not alone. Many of us. My friend tried Alverado, we tried Arlington and I tried Lake Worth.... all Zeros. Frustration!!!
God Bless
Better days are coming.....sometime...
Posted By: MikeW07

Re: Struggling on Grapevine - 02/12/15 06:28 PM

Went to Lewisville last saturday - one bite (maybe) - then to Grapevine on Sunday - One slot fish and one really nice buffalo about 6 pounds. My usual team partner was also there had a nice 5# drum and I think 2 bass one slot and one under I think. Water was 46-49 degrees.

Just a note if you use the Meadowmere ramp its really steep right at the end - no problem launching but a little difficult to load especaially if your alone
Posted By: Scott in Flower Mound

Re: Struggling on Grapevine - 02/12/15 06:42 PM

I live 2 miles from Grapevine, and it's been bad for a while. I tried again about a month ago, and not one bite.
Posted By: JBellZX250

Re: Struggling on Grapevine - 02/12/15 06:54 PM

The new Meadowmere ramp is a joke! Why the decided to leave the flat spot at the end of the old section is just dumb. Loading a 20' boat with a 4 door truck makes it a beating. If they would have cut out 3' of the old and made it all 1 consecutive angle it would have been MUCH better.
Posted By: Okie Poke

Re: Struggling on Grapevine - 02/12/15 07:06 PM

It's a tough sucka out there right now. When temps get to 58 you'd better look out....they be jumpin in the boat just like that commercial.

Re: Struggling on Grapevine - 02/12/15 07:46 PM

I'm gonna head out there Saturday morning probably 8-11 and see what I can do. fish
Posted By: Drodge

Re: Struggling on Grapevine - 02/12/15 08:44 PM

Mud hole!!
Posted By: taylormade820

Re: Struggling on Grapevine - 02/12/15 11:08 PM

Welcome to the club haha
Posted By: pelican

Re: Struggling on Grapevine - 02/12/15 11:19 PM

I like the cold water at the Vine!

Re: Struggling on Grapevine - 02/13/15 12:21 AM

Gorgeous Smallie!!

Re: Struggling on Grapevine - 02/13/15 06:46 AM

I'm gonna go back and torcher myself mon or tue next week. I'm refusing to let the lake kick my rear end!
Posted By: Fishinkev

Re: Struggling on Grapevine - 02/13/15 12:15 PM

I grew up fishing grapevine. I would only take 3 rods. A crankbait rod, a jig rod, and a dropshot rod. I would target deep cliff banks and the dam until it warms up later in the day. If it warms up I would target marinas with the jig. Just my .02. Hope it helps.

Re: Struggling on Grapevine - 02/13/15 12:44 PM

Originally Posted By: Justin DuBose
I'm gonna go back and torcher myself mon or tue next week. I'm refusing to let the lake kick my rear end!

I'm the same as you Justin! I know it blows yet I still go out there and try to grind it out!
Posted By: stratos1760dv

Re: Struggling on Grapevine - 02/13/15 02:26 PM

It's got to get better.

Re: Struggling on Grapevine - 02/13/15 02:48 PM

Originally Posted By: stratos1760dv-Jeremy
It's got to get better.

It will. On warmer days try a suspending jerkbait on main lake and secondary points. Let sit still for as long as you can stand. I haven't seen many people throw jerkbaits out there, but it can be a killer technique when the water is below 55 degrees on the Vine.

Re: Struggling on Grapevine - 02/13/15 02:48 PM

You won't catch 'em Mon or Tues due to temp drop again, but if you go tomorrow, stay on the dam with a jerkbait and you may catch a very big smallie. Go to outermost main lake points, too. Stay with it all day and you have a good chance to post a good pic just like pelican did. If I was a bettin' man, I'd say he caught that on either a jerkbait or jig.....waddayasay, pelican?

Re: Struggling on Grapevine - 02/13/15 02:49 PM

We are on the same page Okie!

Re: Struggling on Grapevine - 02/13/15 02:55 PM

Originally Posted By: Kevin Bryant

When u taking me? My boat's in the shop.
Posted By: mac3

Re: Struggling on Grapevine - 02/13/15 03:05 PM

What ramps are open out there right now?

Re: Struggling on Grapevine - 02/13/15 03:32 PM

Originally Posted By: mac3
What ramps are open out there right now?

I know Twin Coves is for sure. $5 to launch

Re: Struggling on Grapevine - 02/13/15 03:35 PM

Thanks, Okie!

Re: Struggling on Grapevine - 02/13/15 03:39 PM

Lake view north is pretty decent! And silverlake but $10 there!
Posted By: Joey J.

Re: Struggling on Grapevine - 02/13/15 03:55 PM

I've had success in previous years on Rat L Traps during the winter months. Burn it, clank it off rocks or anything to get a reaction strike. Toledo gold is my preferred color. If that doesn't work...slow down a little. Cover as much water as possible. North shore usually produces better.

You could also try a red craw square bill like this one.

http://www.xcitebaits.com/xb-1/?fullSite=1

When you want to slow thing down a bit try 1/8 oz shakey head with a straight tail. I would keep the color simple like green pumpkin. Don't spike until spring. See link below

http://www.xcitebaits.com/slim-x/.

Use a full length. If you get no bites, cut it down to about 4.5".

Hope this helps you out.

Re: Struggling on Grapevine - 02/13/15 03:57 PM

Originally Posted By: Josh Fulton
Lake view north is pretty decent! And silverlake but $10 there!

Thanks for the info.

Re: Struggling on Grapevine - 02/13/15 04:11 PM

Originally Posted By: Okie Poke

So is my dads! Plus, I'm still in Midland. We definitely need to hit the Vine together again some day!

Re: Struggling on Grapevine - 02/13/15 04:17 PM

You won't catch 'em Mon or Tues due to temp drop again, but if you go tomorrow, stay on the dam with a jerkbait and you may catch a very big smallie. Go to outermost main lake points, too. Stay with it all day and you have a good chance to post a good pic just like pelican did. If I was a bettin' man, I'd say he caught that on either a jerkbait or jig.....waddayasay, pelican?

Yep, A Jig, you're good! and a jerk baits works just like you said also.

Re: Struggling on Grapevine - 02/13/15 04:21 PM

Okie, I have a open seat in my tandem kayak you're welcome to roflmao
I bet a bunch of people would love a photo of that!

Re: Struggling on Grapevine - 02/13/15 06:39 PM

Originally Posted By: pelican

Okie, I have a open seat in my tandem kayak you're welcome to roflmao
I bet a bunch of people would love a photo of that!

I'm in as long as I don't have to haunch you while casting!
Posted By: GrassProShop Jim

Re: Struggling on Grapevine - 02/13/15 08:35 PM

you guys probably don't want to see all the pictures of the good ones that Dillard and Shipe caught today on Grapevine!
Posted By: KidKrappie

Re: Struggling on Grapevine - 02/13/15 08:59 PM

Look in the marinas. I can't keep those green trash fish off my crappie jigs.

Re: Struggling on Grapevine - 02/13/15 09:17 PM

Originally Posted By: GrassProShop Jim
you guys probably don't want to see all the pictures of the good ones that Dillard and Shipe caught today on Grapevine!

Il believe it when I see it.
Posted By: Chasin Hogs

Re: Struggling on Grapevine - 02/13/15 09:28 PM

popcorn

Posted By: B.Hollingshead

Re: Struggling on Grapevine - 02/13/15 09:40 PM

Way to go you 2 always on them out there noidea
Posted By: Chasin Hogs

Re: Struggling on Grapevine - 02/13/15 10:47 PM

Oops forgot one. bannana2

Re: Struggling on Grapevine - 02/13/15 11:12 PM

clap

Re: Struggling on Grapevine - 02/14/15 12:26 AM

Im heading out there tomorrow around 8 planning to stay till noon or so. Gonna launch at twin coves and fish the marina with a white crank bait, will probably head to the damn and other marinas to fish the tires

Re: Struggling on Grapevine - 02/14/15 02:00 AM

Shipe and Dillard are lame

Re: Struggling on Grapevine - 02/14/15 02:46 AM

Now that's not a nice thing to say justin. Arent you selling your boat and quiting? We call you folks.... damaged goods.

Re: Struggling on Grapevine - 02/14/15 02:53 AM

I'm going to go buy me some latex gloves tomorrow.

Re: Struggling on Grapevine - 02/14/15 03:49 AM

I'm gonna have me a Shipe/Dillard sandwich. I think I know what needs to happen again before I sell my boat!

Re: Struggling on Grapevine - 02/14/15 04:05 AM

Dubose... I know tomorrow is Valentine's Day and all, but Dillard and I aren't interested in any sandwich action.
Posted By: Rob Lay

Re: Struggling on Grapevine - 02/14/15 03:55 PM

I don't get jealous often, but I always get jealous the number and quality of fish Clay and Brandon get on. I have had good fish on Grapevine, but usually breaks my heart.

Re: Struggling on Grapevine - 02/14/15 04:38 PM

Very nice fish.....love to see an abundance of smallies and they are definitely showing up these days!
Posted By: David Rush

Re: Struggling on Grapevine - 02/14/15 04:55 PM

Very nice! You guys can catch 'em! Dillard, how'd the surgical gloves work? I've heard they help.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum