Texas Fishing Forum

"Rayburn Red"

Posted By: Clark Reehm

"Rayburn Red" - 01/09/15 03:47 AM

What color is "Rayburn Red"?

I'm not talking about one of the lipless knockoffs that are out on the market now. I was having a conversation with an old timer the other day about trapping on Sam Rayburn and between the both of us we couldn't figure out which one of the numerous Bill Lewis color schemes is officially "Rayburn Red"?
Posted By: ToadSnatcher14

Re: "Rayburn Red" - 01/09/15 03:55 AM

This is what I always thought or knew.

Posted By: txmasterpo

Re: "Rayburn Red" - 01/09/15 03:57 AM

X caliber - "Rayburn red"
Posted By: txmasterpo

Re: "Rayburn Red" - 01/09/15 04:00 AM

Dark green back....rust red/orange....gold flecks......I have Rayburn gold too.....black back.....more red....more and bigger gold accents
Posted By: Bigron119

Re: "Rayburn Red" - 01/09/15 04:03 AM

Originally Posted By: Clark Reehm

I'm not talking about one of the lipless knockoffs that are out on the market now. I was having a conversation with an old timer the other day about trapping on Sam Rayburn and between the both of us we couldn't figure out which one of the numerous Bill Lewis color schemes is officially "Rayburn Red"?

Gonna be almost as bad as "Brown Eye" Color! roflmao
Posted By: ToadSnatcher14

Re: "Rayburn Red" - 01/09/15 04:05 AM

Maybe I got played. Lol.
Posted By: K.D.

Re: "Rayburn Red" - 01/09/15 04:14 AM

I can't find a Bill Lewis color chart that shows a Rayburn Red. I have found a Rayburn Red Zombie that is a newer color with a fish scale pattern. However, the Superspot did have an official Rayburn Red color.

I think Rayburn Red traps were a nickname for the one pictured up top. But I think it was called red shad on the color charts
Posted By: David Burton

Re: "Rayburn Red" - 01/09/15 05:22 AM

This is the one I buy, not Bill Lewis, though. Is it supposed to match SHAD colors CRAW colors of something else?

It seems close to the Rayburn Red Craw that Rat-L-Trap has now:

Posted By: Rocky Robison

Re: "Rayburn Red" - 01/09/15 08:12 AM

Originally Posted By: Clark Reehm

Cordell Super Spot was the original "Rayburn Red" and was used more frequently than the Red Craw Trap back in the day. It was used mainly because it would run a little higher on 20lb line than the Trap, and just tick the grass, before we learned how effective ripping the Trap was.
Posted By: redskeeter190

Re: "Rayburn Red" - 01/09/15 11:09 AM

Its been my experience....these reaction baits are moving so fast....bass don't notice all the small details....they don't grab them...look at them...and say..."yum....I think I'll eat this"....they see something red and react...Years ago..I use to make my own spinnerbaits with very intricate paint schemes....then I changed to, either, one color bodies or at the most two color combos....I couldn't tell the difference in catching fish.....however....the pretty baits do catch fishermen.....IMO

Re: "Rayburn Red" - 01/09/15 01:08 PM

Originally Posted By: redskeeter190
Its been my experience....these reaction baits are moving so fast....bass don't notice all the small details....they don't grab them...look at them...and say..."yum....I think I'll eat this"....they see something red and react...Years ago..I use to make my own spinnerbaits with very intricate paint schemes....then I changed to, either, one color bodies or at the most two color combos....I couldn't tell the difference in catching fish.....however....the pretty baits do catch fishermen.....IMO

roflmao
Makes sense, HOWEVER real world applications don't follow that. I've seen times when we had to manually paint the white Zombie Stripes on our Traps to make them bite. And it had to be a specific Red Trap with the Gold Back too! I don't know if they had "Calibrated" eyeballs but it made the difference. Same with other colors also. The Brown Eye was a very specific color too. Different shade or different stripe made a difference. But I LIKE your THINKING! It would help me to lighten my boat load.
Posted By: BMCD

Re: "Rayburn Red" - 01/09/15 02:15 PM

I have come to the conclusion its the red colored bait that catches fish on rayburn. My dad has a bait he calls rayburn red. I have a box of rayburn red baits.
Posted By: fouzman

Re: "Rayburn Red" - 01/09/15 02:22 PM

http://www.nativeoutdoors.com/cotton-cor...fg#.VK_jzNLF-So

This
Posted By: TexFisher91

Re: "Rayburn Red" - 01/09/15 02:48 PM

Dad had an old Rayburn red from the 80s and I have one from a few years back. They are supposedly the same color "Rayburn red" but they aren't. If they are hitting that color that day he usually catches a few more.
Posted By: Spiderman

Re: "Rayburn Red" - 01/09/15 02:56 PM

While specific lines may not matter, the color of red/orange will definitely effect your catch rates in different colored water.

Sometimes it needs to be bright red, sometimes a rust colored red, and sometimes orange is what they want.

Lol, it's bass fishing, I don't think your going to be able to buy one lure that will always be "the Deal".
Posted By: Neches

Re: "Rayburn Red" - 01/09/15 03:56 PM

The one Fouzman posted is it from what I was told many many years ago
Posted By: Kay Dyson

Re: "Rayburn Red" - 01/09/15 04:02 PM

$ 1.99 --- dang 20 bucks will get you a sack full.. I'd say Rock was right on... thumb

Re: "Rayburn Red" - 01/09/15 04:02 PM

This is the original Bill Lewis in Rayburn Red. At least that is what I was told years ago.

Re: "Rayburn Red" - 01/09/15 04:10 PM

But I have caught way more fish on this. Till I tried to cover up the scratches with some finger nail polish, I swear I think they quit wanting it as much after I did that. That Hot Spot has caught one or two fish over the years.

Re: "Rayburn Red" - 01/09/15 04:15 PM

Or maybe Rayburn fish just don't eat red traps like they used to. grin
Posted By: Jarrett Latta

Re: "Rayburn Red" - 01/09/15 04:51 PM

There has to be enough fish to eat them first...
Posted By: Rudy Lackey

Re: "Rayburn Red" - 01/09/15 05:54 PM

Originally Posted By: K.D.
I can't find a Bill Lewis color chart that shows a Rayburn Red. I have found a Rayburn Red Zombie that is a newer color with a fish scale pattern. However, the Superspot did have an official Rayburn Red color.

I think Rayburn Red traps were a nickname for the one pictured up top. But I think it was called red shad on the color charts
Cordel Super Spot I like the 3/4 oz. Works great on Ray Roberts.
Posted By: Troutnout

Re: "Rayburn Red" - 01/09/15 06:00 PM

SMH.... Funny post...

Re: "Rayburn Red" - 01/09/15 08:35 PM

Here is what the Bill Lewis Site has listed BUT these are the NEW Colors.

Rayburn Red Craw

Rayburn Red Zombie

I honestly do not remember there being a SPECIFIC Color associated with the Rattle Trap Name. I think it was just a generic wording for a "Red" lipless bait.
Posted By: Clark Reehm

Re: "Rayburn Red" - 01/09/15 10:35 PM

You guys are proving my point. Same conversation with that old timer Rayburn Veteran.
Posted By: ezbassin

Re: "Rayburn Red" - 01/10/15 01:52 PM

Originally Posted By: txmasterpo

X caliber - "Rayburn red"

That looks like fried green tomato.

Re: "Rayburn Red" - 01/10/15 01:57 PM

Originally Posted By: Bigron119

roflmao
Makes sense, HOWEVER real world applications don't follow that. I've seen times when we had to manually paint the white Zombie Stripes on our Traps to make them bite. And it had to be a specific Red Trap with the Gold Back too! I don't know if they had "Calibrated" eyeballs but it made the difference. Same with other colors also. The Brown Eye was a very specific color too. Different shade or different stripe made a difference. But I LIKE your THINKING! It would help me to lighten my boat load.

I agree with Bigron. Years ago I was catching fish on a chrome blue back rattle trap that had black tiger stripes on the side. Fish after fish after fish. Then I thought I would experiment so I tied on a plain chrome blue back rattle trap, same size, and fished. It still caught fish but not as many, so I switched back and the catch rate went up again. On that day the black stripe on the side made a difference.

Re: "Rayburn Red" - 01/10/15 02:00 PM

I carry an assortment of red, orange, and brown in various different brands of lipless baits in late winter,early spring. You never know which one they will like best that day.
Posted By: Dr. Crank

Re: "Rayburn Red" - 01/10/15 02:37 PM

Let me find my tournament box from the 70's.....the best I can remember it is not even red. The old timers know.......
Posted By: KB1953

Re: "Rayburn Red" - 01/10/15 07:25 PM

Milo!!!

Re: "Rayburn Red" - 01/10/15 08:04 PM

Milo....now that's a bait I haven't heard in years. That thing would catch them though
Posted By: 361V

Re: "Rayburn Red" - 01/10/15 08:26 PM

Rattling Milo! Buddy was throwing a red rattling Milo one winter day on Fork and putting on a clinic compared to my red rattletrap. Finally gave me one and my day got way better. Can't explain why but that day it was just what they wanted. Fork guide gave a couple to him.
Posted By: Nutman

Re: "Rayburn Red" - 01/11/15 03:10 PM

Those may be "Rayburn Red", but where I fished yesterday, those fish would have nothing to do with anything Rayburn Red😉
Crank bait or trap
Posted By: Big Red 12

Re: "Rayburn Red" - 01/11/15 03:44 PM

Rayburn Red has a slight Orange tint with the Green back. Looks like a crawfish pattern.

Re: "Rayburn Red" - 01/11/15 03:50 PM

Rayburn red always works.....
Posted By: Nutman

Re: "Rayburn Red" - 01/11/15 03:57 PM

Originally Posted By: Jaret Latta
Rayburn red always works.....

In the right hands ....... I can make any lure any color NOT WORK on Sam Rayburn.
Posted By: balazs

Re: "Rayburn Red" - 01/11/15 06:50 PM

Originally Posted By: Bigron119

roflmao

There is truth to what both of you are saying. Sometimes burning a bait at high speeds with a simple paint scheme is the ticket. However, there are times i work traps [on a gravel bottom] like a jig or deadstick them on the bottom and lift them like a spoon. When I do this, extremely realistic lures make a difference. I also think that some of these tweaked and intricate baits work better because of confidence they can give an angler.
Posted By: bobrfishes

Re: "Rayburn Red" - 01/11/15 09:32 PM

Put short shank hooks on them and you can go to a larger hoop without them tangling
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum