Texas Fishing Forum

Replacing stock trebles on a 3XD, 5XD

Posted By: SpiderJig

Replacing stock trebles on a 3XD, 5XD - 12/26/14 11:35 PM

I'm going to replace all the stock hooks on all my strike king cranks. What size trebles do I need?
Posted By: Nitro27

Re: Replacing stock trebles on a 3XD, 5XD - 12/27/14 12:02 AM

Stock size is: 3XD-6 and 5XD-4

Re: Replacing stock trebles on a 3XD, 5XD - 12/27/14 12:08 AM

Do you think it would mess with the way the bait runs if I didn't use stock sizes?
Posted By: Bradshuflin aka hunter'sdad

Re: Replacing stock trebles on a 3XD, 5XD - 12/27/14 12:11 AM

I run 4's on both, what size were you thinking of running?

Re: Replacing stock trebles on a 3XD, 5XD - 12/27/14 12:12 AM

I put 4's on some 3XD's. I think I'm going to use 4 on all of them

Re: Replacing stock trebles on a 3XD, 5XD - 12/27/14 12:16 AM

I hooked into about a 2lber today. I barely touched the hook with my hook remover and the treble fell apart. Can't have any of that business going on anymore.
Posted By: Spiderman

Re: Replacing stock trebles on a 3XD, 5XD - 12/27/14 12:33 AM

On the 3XD, I used the Mustad Triple Grips 6's. I'm usually fishing in brush and don't get hung up too often.

I don't have any problems with fish getting off.
Posted By: DKennimer

Re: Replacing stock trebles on a 3XD, 5XD - 12/27/14 02:10 AM

I like a #2 Owner ST41 on front and #4 on back.
Posted By: RiveraTackleCo.

Re: Replacing stock trebles on a 3XD, 5XD - 12/27/14 03:48 AM

Originally Posted By: DKennimer

X2.....
Posted By: Michael Ray

Re: Replacing stock trebles on a 3XD, 5XD - 12/27/14 04:38 AM

I always change my trebile hooks out, especially my Strike King baits. They are probably my favorite cranks but man those hooks are dull. I love throwing crankbaits and nothing gets me more than one coming unbuttoned. I either use Mustad or Gama's EWG hooks. Both are scary sharp and relatively inexpensive. I've used the Owner's as well, but are a little more expensive.
Posted By: Bradshuflin aka hunter'sdad

Re: Replacing stock trebles on a 3XD, 5XD - 12/27/14 06:49 AM

Hope you got some more hooks for your new 5 Xd

Posted By: Amberlamps

Re: Replacing stock trebles on a 3XD, 5XD - 12/27/14 01:38 PM

Originally Posted By: CarlosRivera
Originally Posted By: DKennimer

X2.....

X3

Re: Replacing stock trebles on a 3XD, 5XD - 12/27/14 02:03 PM

Originally Posted By: Bradshuflin aka hunter'sdad
Hope you got some more hooks for your new 5 Xd

Yes Sir I do. Beautiful work, just beautiful
Posted By: reinke

Re: Replacing stock trebles on a 3XD, 5XD - 12/27/14 04:40 PM

Like the bait hate the hooks. I do not always change them out and when I do not I always have one break. Very surprised Strike King has not addressed this problem yet. They have a very friendly customer service from my dealings with them.
Posted By: CENTEX Toad Hunter

Re: Replacing stock trebles on a 3XD, 5XD - 12/27/14 04:53 PM

One thing to consider doing is replacing your split rings with some double looped and knoted braid. This will limit the amount of leverage the fish has against a larger type crank bait. Some guys will add a split ring to alleviate the leverage, but adds length to the hooks getting them to tangle with each other, so using the heavy braid seems to be the better option.
Posted By: Lake Austin Fishing

Re: Replacing stock trebles on a 3XD, 5XD - 12/27/14 08:02 PM

Originally Posted By: reinke
Like the bait hate the hooks. I do not always change them out and when I do not I always have one break. Very surprised Strike King has not addressed this problem yet. They have a very friendly customer service from my dealings with them.

You don't necessarily have to use the "stock" hook sizes either. For instance, if you want a tighter wobble you can go one smaller or if you don't want quite as much wobble go one size larger. It's always good to experiment. If you are catching fish that are loaded up and then they stop eating, throw the same bait with different size hooks to see if it triggers them to bite again.

Not trying to bash Strike King but those hooks are made in China with subpar materials and horrible. If it doesn't have a Mustad or Owner treble, I change it immediately. I prefer the Mustad's because they rarely hang up when throwing in the trees.

Had MANY crank baits come back to the boat with a busted treble at Amistad, Choke, and Falcon from just hitting rocks.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum