Texas Fishing Forum

Follow Up To Mark Perry - What Technique Will You Focus On Next Year?

Posted By: TexBbq

Follow Up To Mark Perry - What Technique Will You Focus On Next Year? - 11/18/14 02:53 AM

I will continue to improve on deep water ... structure, ledges and deep points with jigs, spoons and large t - right worms.
Posted By: Duck_Hunter

Re: Follow Up To Mark Perry - What Technique Will You Focus On Next Year? - 11/18/14 03:13 AM

Heavy cover jigs.
Posted By: Worm Dunk

Re: Follow Up To Mark Perry - What Technique Will You Focus On Next Year? - 11/18/14 03:21 AM

I will continue to explore more deep structure techniques
Posted By: Bradshuflin aka hunter'sdad

Re: Follow Up To Mark Perry - What Technique Will You Focus On Next Year? - 11/18/14 03:24 AM

Originally Posted By: Worm dunk
I will continue to explore more deep structure techniques

This for me will spend more time learning a swimbait this next year too
Posted By: Mark Perry

Re: Follow Up To Mark Perry - What Technique Will You Focus On Next Year? - 11/18/14 03:28 AM

I honestly don't know. Not trying to sound like a smart arse when I say hopefully back to cashing checks and fishing better. The lakes we are fishing next year are gonna take a solid effort each day to do well and gonna have to catch them different ways. Looking forward to it and should be on the water more than I have in the last 2 years so that should help too. This past year it just felt like I was always a step behind in the tournaments we fished and with less time on the water I had little to contribute at times. Just never found my rhythm. I have no natural ability so I have to be on the water a lot to do well.
Posted By: Brent S

Re: Follow Up To Mark Perry - What Technique Will You Focus On Next Year? - 11/18/14 03:37 AM

Gonna try to improve on deep water fishing. My confidence is little to none passed 15 ft.
Posted By: SkeeterRonnie

Re: Follow Up To Mark Perry - What Technique Will You Focus On Next Year? - 11/18/14 03:40 AM

Throw more variety of colors in jigs.. and throw more stoopid crankbaits!
Posted By: Bass98

Re: Follow Up To Mark Perry - What Technique Will You Focus On Next Year? - 11/18/14 03:44 AM

I'm going to try to focus on deep cranking and fishing a jerkbait deep. I have the confidence in a jerkbait, I just have to find the fish deeper. So that would be the other thing, finding deep fish. I need to improve on fishing deeper. I end up in the 0-12ft range way too much.
Posted By: CENTEX Toad Hunter

Re: Follow Up To Mark Perry - What Technique Will You Focus On Next Year? - 11/18/14 03:46 AM

Im looking to spend more time throwing deep water swim baits, both plastic and hard.
Posted By: rbspots

Re: Follow Up To Mark Perry - What Technique Will You Focus On Next Year? - 11/18/14 11:46 AM

I'm going to expand on what I did this year. Time management on the water. I only get about 15 hours per month to go fishing. Just try to get better and not wasting time. Pick the best areas before you get to the lake,keep the trolling motor down and don't make bad cast. Also keeping that MB I-slide in my hands more
Posted By: Phototex

Re: Follow Up To Mark Perry - What Technique Will You Focus On Next Year? - 11/18/14 12:16 PM

Dropshots, both finesse and for punching.
Posted By: CCTX

Re: Follow Up To Mark Perry - What Technique Will You Focus On Next Year? - 11/18/14 01:20 PM

Jerkbait over the winter--told myself I was gonna do it last year, but stopped throwing it after two fishing trips

I focused this year way too much on quantity instead of quality--I was hurried all the time, chasing a pattern.
Spend more time finding a good deeper structure area, anchoring and fishing with more patience, more simplicity, and way slower.
Posted By: Lee in Texas

Re: Follow Up To Mark Perry - What Technique Will You Focus On Next Year? - 11/18/14 01:24 PM

Originally Posted By: Mark Perry
I honestly don't know. I have no natural ability so I have to be on the water a lot to do well.

That pretty much says it all for this one as well!
More time on the water, God willing....
Posted By: patriot07

Re: Follow Up To Mark Perry - What Technique Will You Focus On Next Year? - 11/18/14 01:26 PM

Had our 2nd kiddo this year and my time on the water has been very limited. So that's my answer as well. But if I had to pick a technique I'd really like to focus more on, it would probably be deep cranking.
Posted By: petro

Re: Follow Up To Mark Perry - What Technique Will You Focus On Next Year? - 11/18/14 01:31 PM

I honestly don't know. I have no natural ability so I have to be on the water a lot to do well.

Dont sell yourself short mark. We have fished alot together thru the years and you have ability. Were gonna catch em'.
Posted By: ezbassin

Re: Follow Up To Mark Perry - What Technique Will You Focus On Next Year? - 11/18/14 01:47 PM

Originally Posted By: CENTEX Toad Hunter
Im looking to spend more time throwing deep water swim baits, both plastic and hard.

Same here. I have a bunch of them so I might as well throw them. I also plan on finding more deep water fish.
Posted By: pinesaddict

Re: Follow Up To Mark Perry - What Technique Will You Focus On Next Year? - 11/18/14 02:39 PM

I was forced to get better at frogs this year.I did work on swim jigs and swim baits. My plan is to continue learning more about swim jigs.
Posted By: Billy McCord

Re: Follow Up To Mark Perry - What Technique Will You Focus On Next Year? - 11/18/14 02:39 PM

Finding and catching in cold water
Posted By: UTDmiller

Re: Follow Up To Mark Perry - What Technique Will You Focus On Next Year? - 11/18/14 03:12 PM

Continue to improve on cranks and continue to soak up knowledge as a non boater. Also need to stick to my strong points more during tournaments
Posted By: Slade

Re: Follow Up To Mark Perry - What Technique Will You Focus On Next Year? - 11/18/14 03:26 PM

Learn more about using my electronics and finding fish on deeper structure, I love a good frog bite, but fishing deeper water and trying to learn what I'm seeing on my electronics has to be the most fascinating part about fishing to me. It can make for some long days between bites, but I keep thinking if I can figure this out, I will have more opportunities to catch some big fish.
Posted By: forkduc

Re: Follow Up To Mark Perry - What Technique Will You Focus On Next Year? - 11/18/14 03:35 PM

Jig fishing with M Pack jigs!
Posted By: JTB

Re: Follow Up To Mark Perry - What Technique Will You Focus On Next Year? - 11/18/14 03:53 PM

I guess I am going to have to put the crankbait rods down and learn to work 10" worms, stupid Biffle Bugs, and Jigs God know I have bought enough of them. But I guess you have to throw them in order for them to work
Posted By: Lee in Texas

Re: Follow Up To Mark Perry - What Technique Will You Focus On Next Year? - 11/18/14 04:11 PM

Originally Posted By: JTB
I guess I am going to have to put the crankbait rods down and learn to work 10" worms, stupid Biffle Bugs, and Jigs God know I have bought enough of them. But I guess you have to throw them in order for them to work
woot Not a real 'fisherman' yet, trying but I do know, whatever your chosen bait........they don't work too well still in the tackle boxes.... roflmao
Posted By: Marooned

Re: Follow Up To Mark Perry - What Technique Will You Focus On Next Year? - 11/18/14 04:21 PM

Force myself to throw cranks and jerkbaits in cold water months along with my confidence baits (jigs and worms).
Posted By: ssj3goten

Re: Follow Up To Mark Perry - What Technique Will You Focus On Next Year? - 11/18/14 05:34 PM

I would say a jig finally but I know I would be lying so drop-shotting it is!
Posted By: rkcdvm

Re: Follow Up To Mark Perry - What Technique Will You Focus On Next Year? - 11/18/14 05:43 PM

Fishing fast when needed. I fish pretty slow compared to my fishing partner. When he has the trolling motor we boogy pretty fast, when I have it we fish slow. Work on crankbaits and jigs. I dont have confidence in either. Was the same way with a jerkbait and now its my favorite bait.
Posted By: fishnfireman

Re: Follow Up To Mark Perry - What Technique Will You Focus On Next Year? - 11/18/14 05:49 PM

I honestly don't know. Not trying to sound like a smart arse when I say hopefully back to cashing checks and fishing better. The lakes we are fishing next year are gonna take a solid effort each day to do well and gonna have to catch them different ways. Looking forward to it and should be on the water more than I have in the last 2 years so that should help too. This past year it just felt like I was always a step behind in the tournaments we fished and with less time on the water I had little to contribute at times. Just never found my rhythm. I have no natural ability so I have to be on the water a lot to do well.

Sounds like me the last two years.. I used to think I could fish.. Now it's hit or miss. But I KNOW I have not put the time in that I used to and it's showing in my T results. scared

Mark what T's are you fishing ?
Posted By: Mark Perry

Re: Follow Up To Mark Perry - What Technique Will You Focus On Next Year? - 11/18/14 06:00 PM

Originally Posted By: fishnfireman

Sounds like me the last two years.. I used to think I could fish.. Now it's hit or miss. But I KNOW I have not put the time in that I used to and it's showing in my T results. scared

Mark what T's are you fishing ?

Petro and I are fishing Champs East and then I am hitting some of the BOSS events in La.
Posted By: SoCal Tom

Re: Follow Up To Mark Perry - What Technique Will You Focus On Next Year? - 11/18/14 06:03 PM

I'm still going to try and focus on the jig more. I caught some good fish on it this year but I need it to be a real confidence bait for me. Practice, practice, practice...
Posted By: Fishcharmer

Re: Follow Up To Mark Perry - What Technique Will You Focus On Next Year? - 11/18/14 06:57 PM

glide baits... They're killing fish on I'm out west but you gotta have some dollars to play. Prices from $20 each all the way up to 60 and above.the fish around here haven't seen them yet.
Posted By: Legend08

Re: Follow Up To Mark Perry - What Technique Will You Focus On Next Year? - 11/18/14 08:11 PM

I will throw more A-rig In cold water. Caught my largest 2014 bass on it last Jan.
Posted By: Jake Shannon(Skeet4Life)

Re: Follow Up To Mark Perry - What Technique Will You Focus On Next Year? - 11/18/14 11:29 PM

Swim baits and A-Rigs
Posted By: Dosser

Re: Follow Up To Mark Perry - What Technique Will You Focus On Next Year? - 11/19/14 12:40 AM

Anything that allows me to wet a line. Only got out 3 times this last year and it is killing me!
Posted By: Delvec

Re: Follow Up To Mark Perry - What Technique Will You Focus On Next Year? - 11/19/14 12:43 AM

Crankbaiting, since I have had elbow surgery and my shoulder rehab'd. I can cast all day with out my arm falling off from pain now.

PD
Posted By: Bois d'arc

Re: Follow Up To Mark Perry - What Technique Will You Focus On Next Year? - 11/19/14 02:09 PM

Crankbaits... Spent the past summer painting baitfish patterns for use on my favorite lake. Discovered there's a lot more to crankbait fishing than "don't thank, just throw and crank". Really got interested on deep cranking structure, what lure to use where and when....and how to work lures thru brush and timber without losing one on every cast.
Posted By: BassSAT

Re: Follow Up To Mark Perry - What Technique Will You Focus On Next Year? - 11/19/14 02:19 PM

Get away from shallow water bank's..!
Posted By: cegrace

Re: Follow Up To Mark Perry - What Technique Will You Focus On Next Year? - 11/19/14 03:50 PM

I'm going to try to put the Spro Frog away and throw a Ribbit, Swim Jig, or Chatterbait. If I get bit on the frog, I like fishing it so much, I won't put it down.
Posted By: lconn4

Re: Follow Up To Mark Perry - What Technique Will You Focus On Next Year? - 11/19/14 04:35 PM

Originally Posted By: forkduc
Jig fishing with M Pack jigs!

I've been reading about them for a while, they have my interest too. cheers
Posted By: Michael Curbow

Re: Follow Up To Mark Perry - What Technique Will You Focus On Next Year? - 11/19/14 05:42 PM

Focused on Arig last year so guess I should go complete opposite and try drop shot.
Posted By: hopefullythisworks

Re: Follow Up To Mark Perry - What Technique Will You Focus On Next Year? - 11/19/14 05:52 PM

jig for sure. never boated a bass using one. but then again i fished it maybe 1% of my time.
Posted By: krawlin 47

Re: Follow Up To Mark Perry - What Technique Will You Focus On Next Year? - 11/19/14 06:47 PM

anything that catches fish on Tablerock!
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum