Texas Fishing Forum

Who here throws big swim baits frequently?

Posted By: CENTEX Toad Hunter

Who here throws big swim baits frequently? - 11/15/14 11:07 PM

Im looking for info about interest in swimbaits in Texas. This seems to be a big California bait. Would five and 7" baits do well this time of year? Looking for the big bite! Any suggestions?
Posted By: ChrisR

Re: Who here throws big swim baits frequently? - 11/15/14 11:11 PM

I'm throwing the Storm 9" swim bait on Fork.......it's about a 7oz bait...little hard to chunk but the bite is Good
Posted By: Mark Perry

Re: Who here throws big swim baits frequently? - 11/16/14 12:04 AM

5 and 7" are considered small in most cases.
Posted By: MagFluker

Re: Who here throws big swim baits frequently? - 11/16/14 12:15 AM

Originally Posted By: ChrisR
I'm throwing the Storm 9" swim bait on Fork.......it's about a 7oz bait...little hard to chunk but the bite is Good

7 oz! Dang! I thought the Huddleston Deluxe 68 was heavy, i just started throwing it the other day, we'll see how it does tomorrow.

Re: Who here throws big swim baits frequently? - 11/16/14 12:39 AM

Originally Posted By: Mark Perry
5 and 7" are considered small in most cases.
Yep! This is true. I guess the better question to ask is if anyone is familiar with Fringe Baits? https:// [img]http://www.dropbox.com/s/xji3klw9lv7lywh/2014-10-28%2020.33.51.jpg?dl=0 [/img] www.dropbox.com/s/xji3klw9lv7lywh/2014-10-28%2020.33.51.jpg?dl=0 https://www.dropbox.com/s/lfjk47falih0mt4/2014-11-04%2020.23.46.jpg?dl=0 [img]http://https://www.dropbox.com/s/lfjk47falih0mt4/2014-11-04%2020.23.46.jpg?dl=0[/img]

Re: Who here throws big swim baits frequently? - 11/16/14 12:43 AM

[img:left]http://www.dropbox.com/s/xji3klw9lv7lywh/2014-10-28%2020.33.51.jpg?dl=0 [/img]

Re: Who here throws big swim baits frequently? - 11/16/14 12:47 AM

[img]http://www.dropbox.com/s/xji3klw9lv7lywh/2014-10-28%2020.33.51.jpg?dl=0 [/img]
Posted By: Fishcharmer

Re: Who here throws big swim baits frequently? - 11/16/14 12:48 AM

Are you referring to the Storm bait with 2 hooks on the back.If so, I have had a couple of those for a while...you're right tough to throw and definitely a big bite. I have not thrown it in a while but after your comment I think I will tie it on...

Re: Who here throws big swim baits frequently? - 11/16/14 12:59 AM

Can anyone see the pictures I posted? Having trouble uploading them.
Posted By: Jarrett Latta

Re: Who here throws big swim baits frequently? - 11/16/14 01:05 AM

Typical line thru swimbaits, tons of them on tackle warehouse. They have a time and place like everything else

Re: Who here throws big swim baits frequently? - 11/16/14 01:18 AM

I thought so too, but the pourer says not to rig as a line thru. Suppose to use a 9/0 belly weighted hook. BTW, these baits are made in Austin.

Re: Who here throws big swim baits frequently? - 11/16/14 01:31 AM

Originally Posted By: Fishcharmer
Are you referring to the Storm bait with 2 hooks on the back.If so, I have had a couple of those for a while...you're right tough to throw and definitely a big bite. I have not thrown it in a while but after your comment I think I will tie it on...

Yes sir..... Deep water chunk it out.....let it hit bottom....10 cranks....free spool back to the bottom....repeat

This was my go to bait on Fork this year....caught several 3-4 pounders on this.....go figure
Posted By: Chris Coufal

Re: Who here throws big swim baits frequently? - 11/16/14 01:39 AM

Jeff at Fringe makes awesome baits. I have thrown his 5" version for years and caught lots of fish on them. They were rigged with an 8/0 Owner belly weighted beast hook. These new 7" will require a 10/0 weighted beast hook. I've held them and have a few on the way. They will be another great bait with lots of action. His 5" version has great tail kick and is pretty durable. You won't find anything else out there more realistic and allowing you to match the hatch.

Pick a few up.....you won't be disappointed. I have a few crappie headed my way.

Posted By: Chris Coufal

Re: Who here throws big swim baits frequently? - 11/16/14 01:42 AM

here's the 7" baby bass......

Posted By: Frank the Tank

Re: Who here throws big swim baits frequently? - 11/16/14 02:34 AM

In regards to the Storm baits, which already have a hook in them, do they sink to the bottom, or do they have a max depth on their own without help?

Re: Who here throws big swim baits frequently? - 11/16/14 02:39 AM

Thanks for posting theinfo and the pics Chris!

Re: Who here throws big swim baits frequently? - 11/16/14 03:39 AM

Yes the Storm baits are rigged and ready to go... 65lb Power Pro and go
Posted By: Bradshuflin aka hunter'sdad

Re: Who here throws big swim baits frequently? - 11/16/14 03:49 AM

OMG what rod you throwing that on?
Posted By: Frank the Tank

Re: Who here throws big swim baits frequently? - 11/16/14 03:53 AM

a piece of rebar

Re: Who here throws big swim baits frequently? - 11/16/14 04:20 AM

A Falcon Cara Swimbait rod,,,,,like I said its tuff to chunk them things
Posted By: Bradshuflin aka hunter'sdad

Re: Who here throws big swim baits frequently? - 11/16/14 04:45 AM

6.99 might have to order a couple of those, if nothing else I bet I can catch some nice hybrids on them.
Posted By: mjmfc

Re: Who here throws big swim baits frequently? - 11/16/14 05:28 AM

Heath Taylor here makes some real nice ones too
Posted By: Evan O'Brien

Re: Who here throws big swim baits frequently? - 11/16/14 06:12 AM

.. (chirp.. chirp)

Come on now... I know there are more baits than storm being thrown around here... Fess up!

popcorn
Posted By: Jarrett Latta

Re: Who here throws big swim baits frequently? - 11/16/14 10:22 AM

My sharelunker came on a storm 6" fished on the bottom. I use the Berkeley version now.
Posted By: JPeel

Re: Who here throws big swim baits frequently? - 11/16/14 02:43 PM

Originally Posted By: Evan O'Brien
.. (chirp.. chirp)

Come on now... I know there are more baits than storm being thrown around here... Fess up!

popcorn

yeah, I thought this was going to be a discussion of big swimbaits. I know a couple of Fork guides who are doing work with deps 250's, gliding gizzards, bull shads, and hudds among other big baits now.

Re: Who here throws big swim baits frequently? - 11/16/14 05:32 PM

Originally Posted By: JPeel
Originally Posted By: Evan O'Brien
.. (chirp.. chirp)

popcorn

yeah, I thought this was going to be a discussion of big swimbaits. I know a couple of Fork guides who are doing work with deps 250's, gliding gizzards, bull shads, and hudds among other big baits now.

Now we're talk'n! Lets get this thread kick started. popcorn2
Posted By: The finesse guru

Re: Who here throws big swim baits frequently? - 11/16/14 05:35 PM

I throw a roman made all the time looking for a big bite and it never fails to catch a 3lb fish haha seems even the big baits still catch 2-3lb fish.
Posted By: bblbasser

Re: Who here throws big swim baits frequently? - 11/16/14 05:37 PM

Depends on the lake and the forage to an extent and of course, CONDITIONS. I've had good success here in TX on 8" BBZ-1 (floater and slow sink), Cl8 bait (pronounce "CLATE "bait)bait clacker (it's 7"), a/c minnow 9", mattlures hard gill (5.5 inches), lunker punker (9"), "old school" 8" a/c plug, Savage Gear Line Through Trout (8 inches), as well as various paddle tail baits in the 5 inch range ( the havoc grass pig is the best for me by far). The biggest thing is to learn "when" to throw em. A good starting point is early/late in the day and in the dark.
Posted By: Fishspanker

Re: Who here throws big swim baits frequently? - 11/16/14 05:46 PM

Jackal Mikey Sr

Re: Who here throws big swim baits frequently? - 11/16/14 05:55 PM

Originally Posted By: Finesse guru
I throw a roman made all the time looking for a big bite and it never fails to catch a 3lb fish haha seems even the big baits still catch 2-3lb fish.

OH MOTHER!! How many times have you casted a truck payment in the water?

For those that are unfamiliar, The record holding Japanese 22lbs. bass was caught on a Roman Made Mother.

Go to www.romanmade.com and have a look around.

Re: Who here throws big swim baits frequently? - 11/16/14 06:16 PM

Sink like a rock...

Re: Who here throws big swim baits frequently? - 11/16/14 06:18 PM

Sink like a rock...
Posted By: Ken A.

Re: Who here throws big swim baits frequently? - 11/16/14 06:21 PM

Originally Posted By: CENTEX Toad Hunter
Originally Posted By: Finesse guru

For those that are unfamiliar, The record holding Japanese 22lbs. bass was caught on a Roman Made Mother.

Negative.. He caught it on a live bluegill.
Posted By: Ken A.

Re: Who here throws big swim baits frequently? - 11/16/14 06:29 PM

If you go back through all the articles written on the fish you will see where he told multiple people he caught the fish on a 10" live bluegill.

He plugs his sponsor by saying he also caught an 18# fish earlier on a Roman made swimbait.

Re: Who here throws big swim baits frequently? - 11/16/14 06:36 PM

I must be doing something wrong I only catch 2lb fish all day on it smh..
Posted By: ezbassin

Re: Who here throws big swim baits frequently? - 11/16/14 08:29 PM

That is a great rod for throwing swim baits. Another good one is an 8ft Salmon rod made by Loomis.

Re: Who here throws big swim baits frequently? - 11/16/14 08:34 PM

Originally Posted By: ezbassin

That is a great rod for throwing swim baits. Another good one is an 8ft Salmon rod made by Loomis.

Daiwa just released a swimbait specific line of rods at $99.95 to $109.95 that are amazing values. Well built, quality componenets and great actions. The MH and H versions are 2 that I will have a hard time keeping out of the boat. All 4 models are 8' as well with full cork. They go up XXH models. They are the DXSB Swimbait series.

I know some guys are leery about dropping a lot of money on a swimbait rod since some arer still figuring them out. This series is perfect to get a great rod with not much cash tied up in it.
Posted By: ChanceHuiet

Re: Who here throws big swim baits frequently? - 11/16/14 08:36 PM

I throw big swimbaits alot. Deps 250, Hudd 68 and lately a Roman Made Negotiater quite a bit. After spending a day with B.P. throwing the ROman I had to go buy a couple. Expensive yes but good lord they catch some fish.
Posted By: MikeSouza

Re: Who here throws big swim baits frequently? - 11/16/14 08:45 PM

I also throw big soft and hard swimbaits a lot. I rarely throw anything under 7" anymore.
Posted By: AMERICAN-TEXAN

Re: Who here throws big swim baits frequently? - 11/16/14 10:27 PM

I'm obsessed...it's a problem for sure...The worms and cranks have been getting dusty for a while now...

8in Hudds and 68's, 3;16 rising Sons to the "Hard Stuff", Deps SS 250,Fish30acre,7-10in TT,8-10in Bull Shads,Possums and Rats,anything BIG! 25-30lb line is a must, LowdownCustoms Rods(a Must),Abu Toro

The hand pours above look really nice...Good to know I'm not alone...
Posted By: Puma Jim

Re: Who here throws big swim baits frequently? - 11/16/14 11:03 PM

Good lord those Romans are over $100 a piece. I spend a ton on quality baits but I'll pass on that one no matter how many fish it catches. Lol

Re: Who here throws big swim baits frequently? - 11/17/14 01:08 AM

I have spent more on roman made baits then any other baits or brands on the market I have been wanting to try the new megabass swimbaits. anyone used them yet?
Posted By: Shawn Mead

Re: Who here throws big swim baits frequently? - 11/17/14 01:33 AM

What a swim bait?....lol

Re: Who here throws big swim baits frequently? - 11/17/14 01:35 AM

Originally Posted By: Shawn Mead
What a swim bait?....lol

Sadly a bait that catches small fish haha

Re: Who here throws big swim baits frequently? - 11/17/14 01:35 AM

Originally Posted By: The finesse guru
I have spent more on roman made baits then any other baits or brands on the market I have been wanting to try the new megabass swimbaits. anyone used them yet?

Actually have a couple of the I Slide 185s coming this week maybe. I am looking forward to trying them.

Re: Who here throws big swim baits frequently? - 11/17/14 01:39 AM

Hey are you swimbaits line through mark?

Re: Who here throws big swim baits frequently? - 11/17/14 01:41 AM

Originally Posted By: The finesse guru
Hey are you swimbaits line through mark?

I am probably biased.....but they seem to work well. Kinda got lucky and stumbled on a plastisol that allows them to be soft and have great action but still be durable. Gonna start pouring some with heavier inserts to get down to the super deep fish as well. Also gonna experiment with pouring some on jigheads too. cheers

Re: Who here throws big swim baits frequently? - 11/17/14 01:48 AM

I am honestly gonna go by apt this week and buy a few they are good looking baits and Id like some with heavier insert so you dont have to reel as slow.

Re: Who here throws big swim baits frequently? - 11/17/14 01:48 AM

I have a small collection of em....one word of advice is to not skimp on your rod and reel. They all have their time and place. Heath Taylor makes some good soft baits as does Mark Perry.

Re: Who here throws big swim baits frequently? - 11/17/14 01:53 AM

I have a 7'11 xx heavy with a fast tip and abu garica toro 65lb power pro will get the job done I hope anyways.
Posted By: 361V

Re: Who here throws big swim baits frequently? - 11/17/14 02:40 AM

Daiwa just released a swimbait specific line of rods at $99.95 to $109.95 that are amazing values. Well built, quality componenets and great actions. The MH and H versions are 2 that I will have a hard time keeping out of the boat. All 4 models are 8' as well with full cork. They go up XXH models. They are the DXSB Swimbait series.
Never actually bought a rod for less than my lure! :-)

Re: Who here throws big swim baits frequently? - 11/17/14 02:51 AM

Originally Posted By: 361V

I was pleasantly surprised with the DXSBs. I know local retailers are adding them soon. I bet they sell well. You will think it costs well above that when you see it and pick one up.

Re: Who here throws big swim baits frequently? - 11/17/14 02:59 AM

Originally Posted By: 361V

I hear that's how addicting big swim baits can be. Gotta get yer bite on!

Re: Who here throws big swim baits frequently? - 11/17/14 03:33 PM

I use 25-30 lb CXX P-Line in moss green.....and i never have a problem. Braid is notorious for digging into your spool and requires a lot of maintenance. I am not going to risk chunking $100-300 baits out there that don't float with the possibility of the braid digging in and snapping me off.

Re: Who here throws big swim baits frequently? - 11/17/14 04:27 PM

Originally Posted By: Shawn Mead
I use 25-30 lb CXX P-Line in moss green.....and i never have a problem. Braid is notorious for digging into your spool and requires a lot of maintenance. I am not going to risk chunking $100-300 baits out there that don't float with the possibility of the braid digging in and snapping me off.

Use power pro super slick its the best imo.
Posted By: BassFisher317

Re: Who here throws big swim baits frequently? - 11/17/14 04:48 PM

I got into big swimbaits last year and I love them. It's resulted in my PB. The Deps Slide Swimmer is by far my favorite. Big swimbaits require a lot of patience but if you put your head down, fish, and be patient, you'll be rewarded.
Posted By: Kent Meadows aka Team Hooligan

Re: Who here throws big swim baits frequently? - 11/17/14 05:17 PM

I throw swim baits quite often, I love the 3:16 line through soft plastic rising son. I must say that I have caught a lot more and better quality on the 6" size compared to the 8". Im currently throwing a 7" glide but will have to see how sluggish the fish have become after this last front. As far as topwater baits go I firmly stand behind the 9" MS Slammer...btw you can call up some really good winter time fish to hit this bait when worked correctly. I have no idea as to why these bigger style baits have not really taken off here in Texas...and quite frankly im glad that they have not. On ending note, starting around this time of the year every cast I make with one these larger baits I have every confidence that a teen sized fish will be caught...close but no cigar as of yet lol.
Posted By: Jpurdue

Re: Who here throws big swim baits frequently? - 11/17/14 09:33 PM

I've been throwing the regular Medusa swim bait. Cast out out, let them sink for a second or so, big side sweeping pull with your musky rod, rinse and repeat.
Posted By: Andrew Taylor

Re: Who here throws big swim baits frequently? - 12/01/14 04:59 PM

Glad I finally found this dead thread.. I wanted to ask if anyone had any luck throwing the floating big baits and catching?
Posted By: TexasHarleySales

Re: Who here throws big swim baits frequently? - 12/01/14 05:55 PM

I throw these monsters all the time...

My favorite is the 9" Dark Rainbow. Throw it early a.m. or late afternoon into the evening, or virtually all day on overcast days. I've been throwing these for over 20 years. The bites are few and far between but they work well! Fantastic wakebait.

Check them out AC Plug.
Posted By: Andrew Taylor

Re: Who here throws big swim baits frequently? - 12/01/14 06:13 PM

Thanks King, I was worried people wouldn't know the hardbaits i was referring to
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum