Texas Fishing Forum

Spooling a bait caster...

Posted By: Undertaker56

Spooling a bait caster... - 09/30/14 08:58 PM

When spooling a bait caster should you fill it all the way up? Seems like a waste of alot of line. Just curios of what yall think..
Thanks

Bobby
Posted By: bigbass94

Re: Spooling a bait caster... - 09/30/14 09:12 PM

I always fill mine up to the top. However, I put on about 30 yards or so of cheap mono for backing so I don't use so much line at once. I don't change my line after every trip and if I get a bad backlash, I can cut the line and still have enough to cast. Otherwise, I'd have to put more line on if If I cut too much off.
Posted By: ezbassin

Re: Spooling a bait caster... - 09/30/14 09:20 PM

I leave about 1/8 inch from being full and even less if i have on fluorocarbon line on my pitching reels. If you have too much line on the reel it seems to have loose coils more than if you have a little less line on the reel for pitching. For casting having more line on your reel isn't as critical as it is for pitching.
Posted By: Undertaker56

Re: Spooling a bait caster... - 09/30/14 09:21 PM

Great idea I never thought of that.. Most of my reels have flourocarbon on them!! I will try that many thanks!! clap
Posted By: CrankBait1007

Re: Spooling a bait caster... - 09/30/14 09:37 PM

doesn't matter what line you use back spooling is always a good way to not burn up a whole spool when putting new line on it. rule of thumb is about 1/8" from top of the spool. some do it more and some will cast with a 1/2 filled spool which will greatly effect your casting.
Posted By: sprigsss

Re: Spooling a bait caster... - 09/30/14 10:01 PM

That extra few wraps of line will make a huge difference in your casting distance. Won't have to work nearly as hard to throw at greater differences. I bought a Revo Winch for cranking since I loved my SXs so much. I was about ready to try and trade it straight up for an SX after my first trip with it. Added add'l line and the difference was amazing. I'd rather add a little too much when spooling and cut some off at the lake rather than trying to add more line once at the lake.
Posted By: Bobby Milam

Re: Spooling a bait caster... - 09/30/14 10:47 PM

Yes, spooling completely full should improve casting. What kind of reel do you have? I use Lews and they have a lip that is beveled to show where to stop the line.
Posted By: Big Red 12

Re: Spooling a bait caster... - 10/01/14 02:40 AM

Go at least a 1/3 of the way with backing (cheap line). Then fill to the top and save money.
Posted By: kuyatwo

Re: Spooling a bait caster... - 10/01/14 02:54 AM

I read somewhere you don't fill it all the way as that increases the chance of birdsnesting
Posted By: Fisher77

Re: Spooling a bait caster... - 10/01/14 03:04 AM

I stop about an 1/8th of an inch from the top of the spool.
Posted By: KMHendu

Re: Spooling a bait caster... - 10/01/14 03:32 AM

Yep about an 1/8 in from top
Posted By: CENTEX Toad Hunter

Re: Spooling a bait caster... - 10/01/14 04:16 AM

Two things to keep in mine as you spool. One is to ensure you don't overfill the spool. Watch the line, if it is touching the top of the reel, you are way over filled. This can happen quickly when using heavier line. When using light line, stop filling at the beveled edge. When using heavy line, 17lb. and up, stop filling 1/8 from the bevel. This should give you plenty of clearance.

Two is to strip your existing line back far enough that your connecting knot is well into the core, so that if you do break off, the knot doesn't expose itself. Knots are notorious for catching your line in mid flight and your lure ends up landing way short. The knot can also create back loops and backlashes. In cold weather, that connecting knot can slice your thumb if you are not careful. You don't want your connecting knot to be places on the side of the spool. This can create a pincher point if you backlash and become a real pain to straighten your line out. You don't want it dead center either. This will hamper your thumb pressure. Somewhere between the edge and a quarter is ideal. No knot to contend with is best.

Always backfill your spool, but doing correctly will save you money and hassle!
Posted By: WCLBASS

Re: Spooling a bait caster... - 10/01/14 10:51 AM

Ive had best results w/ 1/3 backing and 1/8" from full
Posted By: CrankBait1007

Re: Spooling a bait caster... - 10/02/14 07:19 AM

Originally Posted By: CENTEX Toad Hunter
Two things to keep in mine as you spool. One is to ensure you don't overfill the spool. Watch the line, if it is touching the top of the reel, you are way over filled. This can happen quickly when using heavier line. When using light line, stop filling at the beveled edge. When using heavy line, 17lb. and up, stop filling 1/8 from the bevel. This should give you plenty of clearance.

Two is to strip your existing line back far enough that your connecting knot is well into the core, so that if you do break off, the knot doesn't expose itself. Knots are notorious for catching your line in mid flight and your lure ends up landing way short. The knot can also create back loops and backlashes. In cold weather, that connecting knot can slice your thumb if you are not careful. You don't want your connecting knot to be places on the side of the spool. This can create a pincher point if you backlash and become a real pain to straighten your line out. You don't want it dead center either. This will hamper your thumb pressure. Somewhere between the edge and a quarter is ideal. No knot to contend with is best.

Always backfill your spool, but doing correctly will save you money and hassle!

+1 thumb
Posted By: Jigfish

Re: Spooling a bait caster... - 10/02/14 02:03 PM

Aaron Martin says to use braid for backing and that he gets more distance that way. about 20yrds
Posted By: 007.

Re: Spooling a bait caster... - 10/02/14 04:14 PM

Originally Posted by Jigfish
Aaron Martin says to use braid for backing and that he gets more distance that way. about 20yrds

I did not know that. Here is the video.

Posted By: CENTEX Toad Hunter

Re: Spooling a bait caster... - 10/04/14 10:05 PM

ttt
Posted By: Bassalong

Re: Spooling a bait caster... - 10/08/14 05:01 PM

Many of my reels give optimum performance with different levels of line. 1/8 from the top is as high as I go, but some have less. I have them adjusted with backing such that I get them to the optimum level of fullness when I use 50 yds of line. When I start getting down to the knot when I am casting, I refill. I use 50 yds of line because all the lines I use come spooled in multiples of 50 yds. I don't use more and reverse my line periodically because the line on the bottom of the spool gets all gnarly and does't cast as well after the line is reversed.
Posted By: FMJshooter

Re: Spooling a bait caster... - 10/08/14 05:55 PM

I guess as a backing you can put more braid on vs mono etc to add weight to the spool increasing momentum?
Posted By: GeoFisher

Re: Spooling a bait caster... - 10/08/14 06:10 PM

I cant believe no one has said anything about the rate of retrieve or gear ratio you lose if a baitcaster is not spooled fully. That 7 or 8:1 high speed reel becomes a 6:1 when its only 3/4 spooled.
Posted By: Bassalong

Re: Spooling a bait caster... - 10/08/14 07:16 PM

Originally Posted By: GeoFisher
I cant believe no one has said anything about the rate of retrieve or gear ratio you lose if a baitcaster is not spooled fully. That 7 or 8:1 high speed reel becomes a 6:1 when its only 3/4 spooled.

You will lose speed, but sometimes get better control on the cast. An 8:1 3/4 filled is a lot faster than a 6:1 3/4 filled. It'a a trade off.
Posted By: 10Killer

Re: Spooling a bait caster... - 10/08/14 08:58 PM

More than a cast is a waste.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum