Texas Fishing Forum

Alabama Rig...won't fish it again

Posted By: TxAg08

Alabama Rig...won't fish it again - 06/15/14 12:13 AM

You all know how much is invested in this set up. This one in particular totaled around $25. Second cast....hangs in a tree and I end up breaking it off of 30lb braid. I felt like even though there was some cover in the area it wasn't bad enough that it was unreasonable to throw the A rig around it. Guess I found a hungry stump. Anyway, I'll be posting a skeet Reese Alabama rig rod for sale soon haha!
Posted By: djones03

Re: Alabama Rig...won't fish it again - 06/15/14 12:16 AM

I lost my A- rig on the third or 4th cast, tied another one on, and I ve used it for 3 months now, they are surprisingly easy to get unstuck, assuming you are on a boat. Make sure you don't dig that hook in and troll the boat right over the hang and normally as you go over the top it pops off, sometimes I have to try to reach down with the rod tip, but Ive only ever lost the first one.

PS after I lost it, I caught my PB 30 minutes later

Re: Alabama Rig...won't fish it again - 06/15/14 12:21 AM

I guess I do have one question for those who fish it quite a bit. Do you typically retrieve it closer to the surface or let it fall? I realize this will depend on where the fish are oriented but in the interest of not losing it do you guys prefer to fish it higher in the water column?
Posted By: Douglas J

Re: Alabama Rig...won't fish it again - 06/15/14 12:22 AM

I bet I have lost 50 of them in past couple years. It's like losing 30 dollar crankbaits, the more you lose the less it burns!

Nobody like a Quitter!
Posted By: bigcat85

Re: Alabama Rig...won't fish it again - 06/15/14 12:22 AM

65# braid. 30# is for a fairy wand.
Posted By: Okhissa2

Re: Alabama Rig...won't fish it again - 06/15/14 12:26 AM

65 lb line
Posted By: MikeSouza

Re: Alabama Rig...won't fish it again - 06/15/14 12:27 AM

I like to throw it on 65lb braid. If I hang up, I'll bend a hook or break off a wire before the line breaks.
Posted By: T Bird

Re: Alabama Rig...won't fish it again - 06/15/14 12:28 AM

Knock on wood. I've fish the Yum Flash Mob Jr. straight out the box on 50lb. Power Pro Braid. Hung it a bunch, but have not broke one off yet. The light wire hooks that come with the Jr. can handle big fish yet when hung bad you can straighten the hook using the 50lb. braid and get your rig back.

Re: Alabama Rig...won't fish it again - 06/15/14 12:30 AM

Ha! I wouldn't call not wanting to fish a certain rig a quitter lol. Wow. You should consider yourself fortunate to be able to have an apparently extensive fishing budget. As for me, I'm blessed to just be able to get on the water. I have my own obligations and know the limitations of my fishing budget. I could provide plenty of examples in my life of not being a quitter but that's a separate conversation and frankly nobody cares lol

I tried straightening the hook but wouldn't work. But upgrading the braid is probably a wise decision! Thanks guys!
Posted By: Jarrett Latta

Re: Alabama Rig...won't fish it again - 06/15/14 12:39 AM

Definitely 65lb braid
Posted By: Douglas J

Re: Alabama Rig...won't fish it again - 06/15/14 12:44 AM

Originally Posted By: TxAg08
Ha! I wouldn't call not wanting to fish a certain rig a quitter lol. Wow. You should consider yourself fortunate to be able to have an apparently extensive fishing budget. As for me, I'm blessed to just be able to get on the water. I have my own obligations and know the limitations of my fishing budget. I could provide plenty of examples in my life of not being a quitter but that's a separate conversation and frankly nobody cares lol

I tried straightening the hook but wouldn't work. But upgrading the braid is probably a wise decision! Thanks guys!

I was joking about being a quitter. Heck PM me your address and I will send you some I bought that I don't throw, I have a few in my shop that I am not going to use.

And use at least 65lb braid!
Posted By: hookinbass

Re: Alabama Rig...won't fish it again - 06/15/14 12:48 AM

60+ braid and lure retriever
Posted By: WAWI

Re: Alabama Rig...won't fish it again - 06/15/14 01:33 AM

65 pound braid and you won't lose many.
Posted By: Rob Lay

Re: Alabama Rig...won't fish it again - 06/15/14 01:55 AM

Originally Posted By: whatsaweighin
65 pound braid and you won't lose many.
Posted By: Greg Latta

Re: Alabama Rig...won't fish it again - 06/15/14 02:04 AM

65 pound braid, let it fall to the bottom, slow roll it. thumb
Posted By: Mark Perry

Re: Alabama Rig...won't fish it again - 06/15/14 02:07 AM

I use 25lb Big Game or 55-70lb braid.
Posted By: timwins31

Re: Alabama Rig...won't fish it again - 06/15/14 02:38 AM

I've been using 50lb Power Pro and its more than strong enough to straighten a hook or break off an arm. But I wouldn't use any less than that.
Posted By: reeltexan

Re: Alabama Rig...won't fish it again - 06/15/14 03:29 AM

Yeah. 30 lb. braid ain't really 30 lb.
Go 65.
Posted By: Hoss Holding

Re: Alabama Rig...won't fish it again - 06/15/14 09:03 AM

When I throw one where there are a lot of trees, I use a # 4 or #5 Trokar hook and Texas rig my swim baits, you can drag it right through a tree, u can usually swim it through some pretty thick stuff without losing your bait
Posted By: Lee in Texas

Re: Alabama Rig...won't fish it again - 06/15/14 11:44 AM

LOL, enjoy!!
God Bless
Posted By: Jeezy

Re: Alabama Rig...won't fish it again - 06/15/14 01:11 PM

I quit throwing them too. Bought one, bought the braid and Skeet Reese rod and threw it 4 times before I kicked it off the deck and into the bottom of Lake Fork. Haven't had the itch to do it again yet.
Posted By: TOMCAT21

Re: Alabama Rig...won't fish it again - 06/15/14 01:26 PM

From what I have read many pros throw 80lb. braid on their umbrella rigs.
Posted By: gwl2

Re: Alabama Rig...won't fish it again - 06/15/14 02:15 PM

I had a fishing partner break three Arigs off in one trip on 50 lb. I have never broke one off on 65.
Posted By: ezbassin

Re: Alabama Rig...won't fish it again - 06/15/14 02:37 PM

Originally Posted By: bigcat85
65# braid. 30# is for a fairy wand.

Totally correct. I drop shot with 30 pound braid. I wouldn't even think about throwing an A-rig on 30# braid, even the little 3 wire mini one. Academy sells a lure retriever for the A-rig also.

The A-rig is a good fish catcher.
Posted By: CrankBait1007

Re: Alabama Rig...won't fish it again - 06/15/14 04:58 PM

Originally Posted By: Lee in Texas

LOL, enjoy!!
God Bless

hahaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
Posted By: Ban-D

Re: Alabama Rig...won't fish it again - 06/15/14 05:11 PM

Why would you use 30lb braid to throw an a rig? I lost a 13omen, lews speed spool with 65lb braid, and an a rig at Monticello but I'm still going to throw it and buy rods and reels.
Posted By: rkcdvm

Re: Alabama Rig...won't fish it again - 06/16/14 02:23 PM

What all of these guys said. I have yet to lose one. If it gets hung up I just get the boat over it and if possible reel down to the bait and push it right off. While they are expensive, under good conditions it's a bad ma'mma jamma
Posted By: fit2btide

Re: Alabama Rig...won't fish it again - 06/16/14 04:00 PM

You gotta find that happy medium. hooks strong enough to handle 50lb + braid, but light enough to bend out on wood.
Posted By: fouzman

Re: Alabama Rig...won't fish it again - 06/16/14 04:07 PM

Why the heck would you throw an ARig on 30# braid? 65# braid is what you want.
Posted By: Fish hunter 59

Re: Alabama Rig...won't fish it again - 06/16/14 05:53 PM

Originally Posted By: MikeSouza
I like to throw it on 65lb braid. If I hang up, I'll bend a hook or break off a wire before the line breaks.

+1
Posted By: roblo101

Re: Alabama Rig...won't fish it again - 06/16/14 06:07 PM

Lee, that cracks me up every time I see it!
It's so true too!
Posted By: Hookem

Re: Alabama Rig...won't fish it again - 06/16/14 06:22 PM

I've caught an A-rig on 14# line.

It is the only A-rig I own.
Posted By: 10lberfork

Re: Alabama Rig...won't fish it again - 06/16/14 06:46 PM

Just ask papamark who can sail arig thru the skies nobody can beat that lol
Posted By: Jedfish

Re: Alabama Rig...won't fish it again - 06/20/14 05:25 PM

Originally Posted By: T Bird
Knock on wood. I've fish the Yum Flash Mob Jr. straight out the box on 50lb. Power Pro Braid. Hung it a bunch, but have not broke one off yet. The light wire hooks that come with the Jr. can handle big fish yet when hung bad you can straighten the hook using the 50lb. braid and get your rig back.

Same here. Have even bent and broken hooks on the Berkeley powerbait swimbaits with the internal jig head and stopped the boat I was in (even pulled the boat back to the hangup once...12 foot flat bottom in 30+ mph wind) with a stock Flash Mob Jr and 50 lb Power Pro Super 8 Slick.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum