Texas Fishing Forum

For the ones who have sponsors

Posted By: YankHardReelFast

For the ones who have sponsors - 06/11/14 03:24 PM

This is directed towards the guys that wear jerseys, have wrapped boats/trucks and/or have a logo or website in your signature....

What do these companies pay or do for you? I'm posting this as a serious question. Maybe you guys are the smarter ones and us dummies that fish in t-shirts are missing out.

***this question is not directed towards anyone that actually owns the company they are advertising. I know the obvious reasons you're doing it if you own the company.***
Posted By: fouzman

Re: For the ones who have sponsors - 06/11/14 03:27 PM

I doubt anyone is going to tell you publicly what their deal is. I'd leave this topic alone. Too many get butt hurt over it.
Posted By: Lake Fork Guide Zach Hughes

Re: For the ones who have sponsors - 06/11/14 03:35 PM

99.9% of sponsorsip at any level besides touring pros is product sponsorship!
Posted By: Mark Perry

Re: For the ones who have sponsors - 06/11/14 03:39 PM

Not speaking about all the local level guys but I can say that I know a few that have some pretty damn nice situations they are in. I know some that get product as well as a check when working events etc. I also know some that have direct input on lure design and product development. Not with some small time company I am talking some industry heavy hitters.
Its all about your niche and what you can bring to the table. assuming all local guys are doing what they are doing for a bag of worms or a sticker is not always accurate. Sure lots are but there are some that do a lot more.
Like Fouz mentioned I doubt anyone will get on here and post deal parameters as its usally spelled out in the deal you sign if you are at a level that requires a contract/agreement.
Posted By: bigfishtx

Re: For the ones who have sponsors - 06/11/14 03:41 PM

I want a Whataburger jersey then! food

Re: For the ones who have sponsors - 06/11/14 03:46 PM

Just for fun I would love to do a boat wrap that is plain white with the word "bassboat" in plain black letters on each side. Then have a barcode on each side of boat near transom. Do a jersey the same way with just the word bass fisherman and a barcode. It would be like the old school generic stuff you used to buy at the grocery store.
Posted By: HatCamBass

Re: For the ones who have sponsors - 06/11/14 03:47 PM

Originally Posted By: bigfishtx

Yes, forget about what the fish like to eat...what about what WE like to eat?! wink

I'll take Taco Cabana or Golden Chick on my jersey please.

Re: For the ones who have sponsors - 06/11/14 03:50 PM

I bet you'd have tons of people shooting that bar code with their phones! The curiosity would force us to do so. I know I would! I wouldn't want to do it to see your sponsors, I'd do it to see what funny stuff was there cuz anyone that would do that would have to be a funny dude!
Posted By: Ban-D

Re: For the ones who have sponsors - 06/11/14 03:52 PM

This is my post from the locked post:

Red Bouy not only made me a jersy but sent me to tournaments, invitationals, even paid for bass club tourney entry fees. They gave me all the free products I wanted an in return asked me to wear the jersey and use the product.whats the difference in wearing a jersey and a long sleeve shirt that says kistler down the arms for example? It's funny to me that people will do it for 10% off or just wear random products and brands and sport the stickers on their boats but who are you to judge what people wear or do on the water? Like I said before name the bass section to "Women's locker room" .Due to divorce,selling my boat,personal and financial problems I just fun fish and an occasional working mans but If a company offered it to me again and I was fishing bigger trails I would take the offer in a heart beat. Who wouldn't want free stuff and money just to wear a jersey?Some of you guys just think you're to cool for school and you poo don't stink. Probably the same guys who have brand new boats with 10 hours on the motor and have to have the newest baddest products. I love it. I know this post was made as a joke but that's my 2 cents.
Posted By: SkeeterRonnie

Re: For the ones who have sponsors - 06/11/14 03:54 PM

Enough to not disclose any private information to anyone on here. Nobody will tell you their deals. I am taken care of very well, and within the sponsors I have- are other deals made from company to company. Meaning there are excellent deals through my sponsors with other companies. The industry is all intertwined into a magnificent web. Don't burn any bridges! (They all connect somehow to another)
And I have one company that pays me a check to work a couple events each year. And once again, through them other excellent deals are opened up.

Fyi- 10-15% off retail is NOT a sponsorship- that's a "sale".

I wear my jersey proudly- when the situation dictates. At shows, or in recorded tournaments. Also at the championship tournaments for our bass club. Otherwise, there's no need to wear it while fishing for fun or in 10 boat tournaments (to me that's just silly).

Re: For the ones who have sponsors - 06/11/14 03:55 PM

Originally Posted By: YankHardReelFast
I bet you'd have tons of people shooting that bar code with their phones! The curiosity would force us to do so. I know I would! I wouldn't want to do it to see your sponsors, I'd do it to see what funny stuff was there cuz anyone that would do that would have to be a funny dude!

I would love to see a self funded guy do it in the Elites or FLW. Never thought about making the bar code readable info wise. That would be awesome.
Hell if we can't laugh at ourselves in this crazy sport we will be in trouble. we all spend way too much money chasing silly liitle green fish.... woot
Posted By: Tristin Riddle

Re: For the ones who have sponsors - 06/11/14 03:55 PM

We get products, entree fees to tournaments and travel money. There is no way that I could do what I do without my sponsors!
Posted By: z7x374

Re: For the ones who have sponsors - 06/11/14 03:57 PM

Originally Posted By: Mark Perry
Not speaking about all the local level guys but I can say that I know a few that have some pretty damn nice situations they are in. I know some that get product as well as a check when working events etc. I also know some that have direct input on lure design and product development. Not with some small time company I am talking some industry heavy hitters.
Its all about your niche and what you can bring to the table. assuming all local guys are doing what they are doing for a bag of worms or a sticker is ludicrous. Sure lots are but there are some that do a lot more.
Like Fouz mentioned I doubt anyone will get on here and post deal parameters as its usally spelled out in the deal you sign if you are at a level that requires a contract/agreement.

This, its always hilarious seeing these "pro staffers" pushing product so hard like their life depended on it and only get 10% off purchase.

I used to be pro staff for a lot of companies when I fished tournaments really hard, I never bothered to push it on forums cause it wasnt worth it. I was only getting a a few boxes of product free everyother month after purchase of over $80 in product. Most of my deals were basically "free" advertising, we would put their company logo on our jersey and when we won, we would send that company a picture of us and winnings and they would cut us a check or product credit.

Best things were contingency programs, especially as a college student, I got $100 in costa product, $250 in Plano boxes, Boat US membership, cabelas cash, 25% big bite, etc.... stuff like that. Lots of discounts

I drove by a pond one weekend and just about died laughing at these guys wearing their logo covered jerseys rolfmao

IMHO, if you work your tail off and win, it would be a great opportunity to get extra cash to fund the addiction but if youre just some plain farmer joe that does not cash checks each tournament, youre wasting your breath.
Posted By: Bissett

Re: For the ones who have sponsors - 06/11/14 04:02 PM

10% off!

Re: For the ones who have sponsors - 06/11/14 04:04 PM

Originally Posted By: HatCamBass

Yes, forget about what the fish like to eat...what about what WE like to eat?! wink

I believe there is a guy on here sponsored by Tx Burger....Im jealous. food
Posted By: Douglas J

Re: For the ones who have sponsors - 06/11/14 04:06 PM

Just for fun I would love to do a boat wrap that is plain white with the word "bassboat" in plain black letters on each side. Then have a barcode on each side of boat near transom. Do a jersey the same way with just the word bass fisherman and a barcode. It would be like the old school generic stuff you used to buy at the grocery store.

This is an awesome idea!

Re: For the ones who have sponsors - 06/11/14 04:06 PM

Win tournaments, be a personable guy/gal, get your sponsors name out, sell their brand!!!!!

If you win enough people will start asking what and how! I promise!

Re: For the ones who have sponsors - 06/11/14 04:11 PM

We should go back to the old school patches on the vests!

Re: For the ones who have sponsors - 06/11/14 04:12 PM

Originally Posted By: z7x374

Nahhhh..getting tattoos of your sponsors shows real commitment. rolfmao
Posted By: Bass_Bustin_Texan

Re: For the ones who have sponsors - 06/11/14 04:15 PM

Too dang hot! smile

Re: For the ones who have sponsors - 06/11/14 04:22 PM

Nothing like a big ol Skeeter logo on your forehead to show you are pro staff thumb

Re: For the ones who have sponsors - 06/11/14 04:23 PM

Nothing like a big ol Skeeter logo on your forehead to show you are pro staff thumb

That would be TEAM Skeeter..... woot
Posted By: J.H.S.

Re: For the ones who have sponsors - 06/11/14 04:57 PM

Its crazy. All the people on here who have "sponsors", how come I never see you on TV fishing with the big boys? I bet the REAL pros would laugh at alot of people on here.
Posted By: Gilbert M.

Re: For the ones who have sponsors - 06/11/14 05:01 PM

Someone mentioned self funded pro angler, Steve Kennedy is self funded if I'm not mistaken and Gary Yamamoto.
Posted By: Jarrett Latta

Re: For the ones who have sponsors - 06/11/14 05:11 PM

Originally Posted By: J.S. ASU
Its crazy. All the people on here who have "sponsors", how come I never see you on TV fishing with the big boys? I bet the REAL pros would laugh at alot of people on here.

I know guys that are sponsored that would rather sleep in their own bed rather than fish with the "big boys". Just because you fish the tour doesn't mean you can fish...
Posted By: J.H.S.

Re: For the ones who have sponsors - 06/11/14 05:17 PM

And just because you wear a colorful shirt and put a sticker on your boat doesn't make you sponsored. Or a pro. To many wannabe's.

Re: For the ones who have sponsors - 06/11/14 05:22 PM

Originally Posted By: Jaret Latta

I know guys that are sponsored that would rather sleep in their own bed rather than fish with the "big boys". Just because you fish the tour doesn't mean you can fish...

This is very true! Very, very, very true.

Alot of the guys that fish the tour now, started out fishing the same thing everyone on here does and had sponsors then.

Sponsors help with product, entry fee's, gas, lodging, etc..... to help guys be able to afford to get to the next level!

Just a couple of examps.....

Takihiro slept in his truck at Lake Fork guiding and fishing lower level events while having sponsors!
Palunik worked his way up through federation using sponsors and his drive
Kernan fished the opens and won almost everything in Texas while having sponsors!

I will never clown on a guy trying to better his life by working hard! Promoting somebody's product could open a door you never would have seen if you didn't knock on it!
Posted By: Douglas J

Re: For the ones who have sponsors - 06/11/14 05:39 PM

Originally Posted By: Zeeter
Originally Posted By: Jaret Latta

This is very true! Very, very, very true.

Alot of the guys that fish the tour now, started out fishing the same thing everyone on here does and had sponsors then.

Sponsors help with product, entry fee's, gas, lodging, etc..... to help guys be able to afford to get to the next level!

Just a couple of examps.....

Takihiro slept in his truck at Lake Fork guiding and fishing lower level events while having sponsors!
Palunik worked his way up through federation using sponsors and his drive
Kernan fished the opens and won almost everything in Texas while having sponsors!

I will never clown on a guy trying to better his life by working hard! Promoting somebody's product could open a door you never would have seen if you didn't knock on it!

very well said thumb
Posted By: Lil' Louie

Re: For the ones who have sponsors - 06/11/14 06:04 PM

I just knew if I ever won a tournament sponsors would be blowing my phone up!!! Well they did sorta.... work called and wanted to know I was coming in afterwards....
Posted By: Stan Browning

Re: For the ones who have sponsors - 06/11/14 06:05 PM

Yankhardreelfast
why hide behind a fake name on a forum,why not post your real name for all to see,you seem to have an opinion about everything but yet you wont own your opinions because you hide behind a username,this is why your question wont be answered by me.And yes i have sponsors in my signature and yes my boat is wrapped,and yes i have logo's on my truck,but one thing i wont do is hide behind a screen name and constantly stir the pot.So if you want a real answer to the question at hand give us a real name not a character name.

Re: For the ones who have sponsors - 06/11/14 06:08 PM

Just caught this MASSIVE bass!!

#lakefork
#lftlures
#prostaff
#skeeterboats
#powerpole
#berkleyrods
#sharelunker

Remind yall of a few "Pro Staff" members on here? loco blablabla

Re: For the ones who have sponsors - 06/11/14 06:09 PM

Originally Posted By: Stan Browning
Yankhardreelfast
why hide behind a fake name on a forum,why not post your real name for all to see,you seem to have an opinion about everything but yet you wont own your opinions because you hide behind a username,this is why your question wont be answered by me.And yes i have sponsors in my signature and yes my boat is wrapped,and yes i have logo's on my truck,but one thing i wont do is hide behind a screen name and constantly stir the pot.So if you want a real answer to the question at hand give us a real name not a character name.

Fouzman was right. Some will be butt hurt.

I've put my name on several of my posts in the past. I'm not, nor have I ever, his behind a screen name. My name is Clint Wade. I live in Huntsville, TX.

Now hurry hurry. Google my name. LOL
Posted By: Peepaw on Fork

Re: For the ones who have sponsors - 06/11/14 06:15 PM

Everyone has a "sponsor". I work on an oil drilling rig and I'm " sponsored" by everyone that burns gas or uses oil. LOL

Re: For the ones who have sponsors - 06/11/14 06:16 PM

Haha I wish everyone would put their name on it. It would clear a lot up....

Re: For the ones who have sponsors - 06/11/14 06:17 PM

^^^

What would that do? You think people would be nicer?

Re: For the ones who have sponsors - 06/11/14 06:19 PM

Originally Posted By: YankHardReelFast

Fouzman was right. Some will be butt hurt.

I've put my name on several of my posts in the past. I'm not, nor have I ever, his behind a screen name. My name is Clint Wade. I live in Huntsville, TX.

Now hurry hurry. Google my name. LOL

Man, no kidding, what was the point of calling him out Stan? All he was doing as asking a question, you dont have to answer if you dont like it.

Re: For the ones who have sponsors - 06/11/14 06:22 PM

Yank enjoys stirring the kettle of hot water. Common trend.

Maybe Stan had enough of it?? I know I'm tired of seeing it.

Re: For the ones who have sponsors - 06/11/14 06:24 PM

Oh well, this thread had its fun, im betting itll be locked in the next few hours
Posted By: J.P. Greeson

Re: For the ones who have sponsors - 06/11/14 06:27 PM

I think Stan, like many others, just gets tired of the few on here who always have a negative attitude about everything. It's the same 5 or 6 guys on every post involving tournament jerseys talking about what a loser you are if you wear one. Of course you can find the same guys on almost any post they participate in with the same negative attitude.

We're all are here because we love to fish. Why spend so much time bashing your fellow anglers?
Posted By: KickerFish29

Re: For the ones who have sponsors - 06/11/14 06:29 PM

Originally Posted By: Bass_Bustin_Texan
Yank enjoys stirring the kettle of hot water. Common trend.

Maybe Stan had enough of it?? I know I'm tired of seeing it.

+1
Posted By: ZeroHour

Re: For the ones who have sponsors - 06/11/14 06:33 PM

Most contracts have a non disclosure clause. I know mine do. I can only say I dont work for product alone and never will.
Posted By: J C Outdoors

Re: For the ones who have sponsors - 06/11/14 06:39 PM

And just because you wear a colorful shirt and put a sticker on your boat doesn't make you sponsored. Or a pro. To many wannabe's.

I do not consider myself a "wannabe", more like a "gonnabe".

I am very grateful for my sponsors and the opportunity to fish behind some of the best bass fishermen in the world. This adventure began for me in the summer of 2010 and continues today.

When the time is right and the Lord has created the way I will take my shot at it. Until then I will humbly cast from the back deck and enjoy the learning experiences provided by my Pro Anglers.

Way to much Jersey Jealousy on here. How about we try supporting one another instead of wasting so much energy tearing others down.

Mark Howard
Posted By: Lil' Louie

Re: For the ones who have sponsors - 06/11/14 07:03 PM

Insecurities will sometimes get the best of folks. Good luck to ya Mark in whatever it is you're doing!
Posted By: BMCD

Re: For the ones who have sponsors - 06/11/14 07:05 PM

All I know is I wish I had more. And I'm working on it.
Posted By: outfishdya

Re: For the ones who have sponsors - 06/11/14 07:11 PM

I would love to have a Jersey, and be proud to sport it everywhere. I would only want logos of companies who went out of business or quit.
Team PROCRAFT
Striker Rods
Slug Go
Posted By: fouzman

Re: For the ones who have sponsors - 06/11/14 07:17 PM

Don't look now, but Lunker City is still in business. They make the Slug-Go.
Posted By: Lil joe

Re: For the ones who have sponsors - 06/11/14 07:23 PM

Originally Posted By: HatCamBass

We have come across the Shipley donuts wrapped truck and boat several times and we always get a laugh out of it. It makes me want some Shipley donuts. They are the best! Makes me hungry talkin about it now! rolfmao
Posted By: Bradshuflin aka hunter'sdad

Re: For the ones who have sponsors - 06/11/14 07:33 PM

My sponsors last year made it possible for me to redo my seats and carpet in my boat and also picked up some of my gas. That made it possible for me to fish more tournaments with less money out of pocket. I like the product they offer and enjoyed having the seats and carpet in my boat. Bass boat seats owner also told me he thought it was a great idea because I'm fishing smaller tournaments where the working man fishes and he would more than likely sell some seats. Unlike the pros that get new boats every year. I only have 2 sponsors on my jersey because they were the only ones offering to help me while I was helping them.
Posted By: Chasin Hogs

Re: For the ones who have sponsors - 06/11/14 07:44 PM

As much crying as there is
on here someone has to be sponsored
by Kleenex.

"Like to thank my sponsors
for allowing me to cry a river..."
Posted By: InTheClear

Re: For the ones who have sponsors - 06/11/14 08:21 PM

Freaking old soft white T-shirt can't be beat in the heat!

Re: For the ones who have sponsors - 06/11/14 08:22 PM

Originally Posted By: Bass_Bustin_Texan
^^^

What would that do? You think people would be nicer?

I don't care about nice. I just want to see who's hiding behind some of these comments.
Posted By: MikeSouza

Re: For the ones who have sponsors - 06/11/14 08:30 PM

There is even a complementary box of Kleenex on the deck for the whiners.
Posted By: WAWI

Re: For the ones who have sponsors - 06/11/14 08:32 PM

This gets an a+++++++ as a thread
Posted By: Chris Borden

Re: For the ones who have sponsors - 06/11/14 08:43 PM

Originally Posted By: whatsaweighin

I'm going with an F.Makes my stinkin head hurt.
Posted By: WAWI

Re: For the ones who have sponsors - 06/11/14 09:05 PM

Originally Posted By: Chris Borden
Originally Posted By: whatsaweighin

I'm going with an F.Makes my stinkin head hurt.

Don't be so negative Borden. There is a lot of good info here. Lol
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum