Texas Fishing Forum

New boat considerations

Posted By: DEFMP

New boat considerations - 06/09/14 12:06 AM

I'm soon to be in the market for a new(used) boat. I'm not trying to start a debate on which engine is better, but I find myself limited with knowledge with Yamaha engines. I've owned boats before, but with a Merc EFI and Pro XS. My fishing friends have always encouraged me to stay away from Yamaha for various reasons: guzzle more gas than Merc, uses more oil, less reliable, etc. Can anybody add insight, confirm these rumors or tell me more about how they're incorrect? I'm finding my boat search limited because I'm avoiding Yamaha's. Not looking to SHOs, a little too new and out of my price range. Thanks!
Posted By: Rodney2100

Re: New boat considerations - 06/09/14 12:42 AM

Go with a Johnson...let it ride
Posted By: patriot07

Re: New boat considerations - 06/09/14 02:44 AM

I've got a 17-year-old Evinrude that's never left me stranded. Couldn't recommend anything more than a Johnson/Evinrude.
Posted By: ChanceHuiet

Re: New boat considerations - 06/09/14 02:51 AM

There isn't a bad motor made now days. Personally I love the pro xs but the Yamaha SHO is unmatched in the amount of torque. But since you ruled that out, I would go with whatever the best/closer dealer around you works on. Don't be scared of an E-Tec also. They are great motors.
Posted By: bush hog

Re: New boat considerations - 06/09/14 02:51 AM

It's not your intent but you will start a debate with that question. I have found Yamaha to be a very reliable engine and I would not hesitate to buy a Mercury either. Remember, they are just machines and are apt to break at anytime or anywhere and it doesn't matter whose name is on the cowling nor does it matter if it's new or used. When you find the boat you want and if you're unsure about the motor have a good mechanic look it over. Good luck to you.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum