Texas Fishing Forum

Fishing on Memorial Day Weekend? Crowds ?

Posted By: Lee in Texas

Fishing on Memorial Day Weekend? Crowds ? - 05/20/14 10:19 AM

Man there are going to be a 'swarm' of folks out on the lakes, was wondering how many of ya'll were going to go fishing in all that?
I'm retired so, not for me but I know and remember working for a living, many have to use what time off they have, crowds or not.
Just curious..
God Bless
Posted By: Undertaker56

Re: Fishing on Memorial Day Weekend? Crowds ? - 05/20/14 11:01 AM

Going to Coleto this weekend only time I have...yep gonna be busy..

Re: Fishing on Memorial Day Weekend? Crowds ? - 05/20/14 11:04 AM

Hey man, completely understand. You do what you have to when you have to, make a living but there are probably going to be a 'ton of folks' out at the lakes.
Good luck pardner. Hope you catch your new PB!!!
God Bless
Originally Posted By: Undertaker56
Going to Coleto this weekend only time I have...yep gonna be busy..
Posted By: gene30

Re: Fishing on Memorial Day Weekend? Crowds ? - 05/20/14 11:05 AM

Memorial Day July 4, Labor Day stay home. Not worth the trouble.
Posted By: SkeeterMarine

Re: Fishing on Memorial Day Weekend? Crowds ? - 05/20/14 11:49 AM

Will probably get out on the water on Monday, but will be on the water at daylight and off by 10am. Shouldn't be too bad during that time.
Posted By: petro

Re: Fishing on Memorial Day Weekend? Crowds ? - 05/20/14 12:27 PM

I used to go too richland chambers every memorial day. Fishing is awesome and only see 5 boats all day.
Posted By: throwback

Re: Fishing on Memorial Day Weekend? Crowds ? - 05/20/14 12:36 PM

I only wish we had enough water in our lakes out here to have to make the decision as whether to go or not.
Posted By: Salty_Addict

Re: Fishing on Memorial Day Weekend? Crowds ? - 05/20/14 12:38 PM

I really want to but around here, there aren't many lakes with open ramps so there will be a lot of traffic on all the available lakes. I'll be staying home.

Re: Fishing on Memorial Day Weekend? Crowds ? - 05/20/14 12:40 PM

Man, I hate to hear that! It doesn't look good for us here west of Fort Worth and further. The predictions are for a DRY year.
Man I hope they are wrong.
God Bless
Originally Posted By: throwback
I only wish we had enough water in our lakes out here to have to make the decision as whether to go or not.
Posted By: fouzman

Re: Fishing on Memorial Day Weekend? Crowds ? - 05/20/14 12:45 PM

I'll venture out on Fork during the long weekend. Perhaps after the sun goes down.
Posted By: Lil joe

Re: Fishing on Memorial Day Weekend? Crowds ? - 05/20/14 12:46 PM

I will be fishing but on a private lake where we won't have to deal with the chaos grin

Re: Fishing on Memorial Day Weekend? Crowds ? - 05/20/14 12:48 PM

LOL, 'Chaos'....good choice of words!!! Probably the best definition of what will be happening on the area lakes....
Good luck my friend
God Bless
Posted By: TxAgfisher

Re: Fishing on Memorial Day Weekend? Crowds ? - 05/20/14 12:56 PM

We make a trip to a different lake each year. As long as you don't go to a population center (Lake Conroe, Travis when it has water in it etc) it really isn't that bad.
Posted By: Undertaker56

Re: Fishing on Memorial Day Weekend? Crowds ? - 05/20/14 12:57 PM

Thank you mr. Lee in Texas fish
Posted By: Ranger64

Re: Fishing on Memorial Day Weekend? Crowds ? - 05/20/14 01:13 PM

My format for holiday fishing, on the water at daylight, off by 10am. Then get a few of your favorite beverage and a lawn chair and go sit by the boat ramp and watch all the "twice a year" boaters launch and load. It is the best comedy act of the year and its FREE!

Re: Fishing on Memorial Day Weekend? Crowds ? - 05/20/14 01:19 PM

LOL, hadn't thought of that one! Might be fun.......
God Bless
Originally Posted By: tidecraft94
My format for holiday fishing, on the water at daylight, off by 10am. Then get a few of your favorite beverage and a lawn chair and go sit by the boat ramp and watch all the "twice a year" boaters launch and load. It is the best comedy act of the year and its FREE!
Posted By: four blade

Re: Fishing on Memorial Day Weekend? Crowds ? - 05/20/14 01:21 PM

Yes sir !! Sit and watch just how much a family of 4 can pack onto a pontoon boat , all while sitting on the ramp . Then watch Mom try to back it down , with Dad hollering at her the whole time ! It's crazy out there !!
Posted By: Jeezy

Re: Fishing on Memorial Day Weekend? Crowds ? - 05/20/14 01:24 PM

Most spots on Palestine you can avoid pleasure boaters and fish uninterrupted. I will avoid Tyler like black death.
Posted By: Razorback

Re: Fishing on Memorial Day Weekend? Crowds ? - 05/20/14 01:49 PM

We had a club tournament on Cedar Creek last Memorial Day weekend. I saw a wakeboard boat go by, at least 1/3 of a mile away, and never gave it another thought. A minute later I looked up and four or five enormous walls of water were coming toward me. The first one would have thrown me off the deck if I hadn't seen it coming. The second, third, and fourth ones came over the bow and swamped me.

I think I want to get a giant boat that emits skunk scent behind me as I make way down the lake. I'm sure everyone else on the water won't mind. LOL.

This weekend I plan to get in the thickest timber I can find. They'll have to run over a forest to get to me.
Posted By: Happykamper

Re: Fishing on Memorial Day Weekend? Crowds ? - 05/20/14 02:29 PM

I think I will go fish the dam at Lewisville Saturday afternoon, should be plenty of wave action to keep the water oxygenated woot
Posted By: SkeeterNucks

Re: Fishing on Memorial Day Weekend? Crowds ? - 05/20/14 02:41 PM

I mostly fish Fork so not sure there is ever a weekend that there is not a huge crowd from January to June. Everybody be safe.
Posted By: YankHardReelFast

Re: Fishing on Memorial Day Weekend? Crowds ? - 05/20/14 05:32 PM

Man, yall can put a negative spin on anything, can't ya?

You realize there are solutions, right?

1) Fish a stumpy, less recreational lake.
2) Fish the stumpy, less "ski-able" area of your own lake.
3) Fish very early and after dark.
4) Stay in coves away from the more popular recreational type areas.
5) Fish right in the middle of everything and simply enjoy the opportunity to be out on the water and not at home in a wheel chair, hospital bed, etc.

Just go enjoy it. It's not hard. Go out with the right mindset and keep in mind, all those other people are there to enjoy their weekend, too. It's not just all about us fishermen.
Posted By: Stump jumper

Re: Fishing on Memorial Day Weekend? Crowds ? - 05/20/14 05:45 PM

I have camped and fished on Texoma on Memorial day weekdend for 30 years. I rarely miss one. This year I cancelled because of low water and went to Beavers Bend last week end instead. BB is one place you will not find me this weekend. Twice I cancelled becasue of high water. On Texoma I only ventured on the lake to fish early and late. Crowds were never much of a problem for me.
Posted By: scott01

Re: Fishing on Memorial Day Weekend? Crowds ? - 05/20/14 05:59 PM

If I was planning on fishing a stump-filled lake, I wouldn't worry about the crowds so much since "most" jet skis and ski boats won't venture into those areas. I would probably skip the deep structure bite on the main lake unless I fish it before noon. On non-stumpy lakes like Grapevine, the key is to get there early and leave before noon, maybe even 11:00 am. That seems to be about the time the nuts wake up and start showing up, lol. Sunday and Monday AM will be better than Sat AM as far as crowds are concerned early in the AM. A lot of the party crowd will be hung over on those days and get up a little later.

Wherever you decide to go, be careful, take extra precaution by watching out for the idiots, especially when running the main lake and in and around the ramp areas.

I'll be skipping the fishing this weekend though.
Posted By: scott01

Re: Fishing on Memorial Day Weekend? Crowds ? - 05/20/14 06:02 PM

If all else fails, fish a lake like Lewisville and head to Party Cove later in the morning and hang out all day, lol. If you beat 'em, join 'em! At least the view will be good.

Re: Fishing on Memorial Day Weekend? Crowds ? - 05/20/14 06:33 PM

It was NOT a negative 'spin'. It was/is a question - period.
I won't comment any further than that on this, good grief!
God Bless

Originally Posted By: YankHardReelFast
Man, yall can put a negative spin on anything, can't ya?

You realize there are solutions, right?

1) Fish a stumpy, less recreational lake.
2) Fish the stumpy, less "ski-able" area of your own lake.
3) Fish very early and after dark.
4) Stay in coves away from the more popular recreational type areas.
5) Fish right in the middle of everything and simply enjoy the opportunity to be out on the water and not at home in a wheel chair, hospital bed, etc.

Just go enjoy it. It's not hard. Go out with the right mindset and keep in mind, all those other people are there to enjoy their weekend, too. It's not just all about us fishermen.
Posted By: Douglas J

Re: Fishing on Memorial Day Weekend? Crowds ? - 05/20/14 06:40 PM

I will be on Hubbard 2 out of the 4 days from 8am-10pm, working...

It's always fun to watch the circus, hopefully we won't have any business this year.

cool

Re: Fishing on Memorial Day Weekend? Crowds ? - 05/20/14 06:42 PM

Man, I hope you don't either! I hope your bored to tears and laughing at the 'lakers'!
God Bless
Originally Posted By: Doug R.
I will be on Hubbard 2 out of the 4 days from 8am-10pm, working...

It's always fun to watch the circus, hopefully we won't have any business this year.

cool
Posted By: Bass98

Re: Fishing on Memorial Day Weekend? Crowds ? - 05/20/14 11:27 PM

I'm either going for the daylight to 10 slot, or going to a small stump filled lake and fishing all day. Haven't decided yet.
Posted By: Kenny aka (rodbender1)

Re: Fishing on Memorial Day Weekend? Crowds ? - 05/20/14 11:55 PM

Originally Posted By: CoachCBA
I will avoid Tyler like black death.

please do your self a favor, save your gas money, your time, and your sanity, stay off of Tyler on this day.
Posted By: outfishdya

Re: Fishing on Memorial Day Weekend? Crowds ? - 05/21/14 12:10 AM

Originally Posted By: scott01
If all else fails, fish a lake like Lewisville and head to Party Cove later in the morning and hang out all day, lol. If you beat 'em, join 'em! At least the view will be good.

Where else can you fish at a topless bar? And ya dont even need the wad of dolla bills......
Posted By: wagonwheel

Re: Fishing on Memorial Day Weekend? Crowds ? - 05/21/14 01:29 AM

I will probably fish Monday since my son is off work that day. I was thinking of going to Fork, my son loves to go there. It may be crowded, but at least it will be other fisherman. Their usually a pretty good bunch!

Re: Fishing on Memorial Day Weekend? Crowds ? - 05/21/14 04:32 AM

Hey, spending time with your son/Dad is important, crowds or no crowds. I would too were I in your shoes. My son lives in Houston....ya'll go ..just be careful. There will be MANY out who are NOT!!
God Bless
Originally Posted By: wagonwheel
I will probably fish Monday since my son is off work that day. I was thinking of going to Fork, my son loves to go there. It may be crowded, but at least it will be other fisherman. Their usually a pretty good bunch!

Re: Fishing on Memorial Day Weekend? Crowds ? - 05/21/14 03:31 PM

Only 'timber' around here is Lake Worth. Man, it gets 'SHALLOW'!!!

Re: Fishing on Memorial Day Weekend? Crowds ? - 05/22/14 12:02 PM

Sounds like it's a pretty 'mixed' crowd electing to go fish or not.
With the warming weather am sure the 'Jet Ski' crowd will be out in numbers.
Well, if ya'll go, just watch for the high powered boat 'dummies' who give little or no thought to others let alone fishermen!
God Bless
Posted By: Phototex

Re: Fishing on Memorial Day Weekend? Crowds ? - 05/22/14 12:18 PM

My answer? I fly to Alaska tomorrow for 11 days. Halibut, salmon, pike, and Dolly Varden can be fun, too. No crowds. I hope you guys stay safe, catch some good ones, and watch out for the drunks.

Re: Fishing on Memorial Day Weekend? Crowds ? - 05/22/14 12:22 PM

Originally Posted By: phototex
My answer? I fly to Alaska tomorrow for 11 days. Halibut, salmon, pike, and Dolly Varden can be fun, too. No crowds. I hope you guys stay safe, catch some good ones, and watch out for the drunks.
frkazoid Yep, that would to it. ONLY one thing wrong with that: IT'S COLD THERE....LOL
Posted By: Phototex

Re: Fishing on Memorial Day Weekend? Crowds ? - 05/22/14 12:25 PM

Lee, the highs are forecast to be up into the high 60s and 70s while we're there. Even if it's cold, though, we'll enjoy it. I hope you hit the water somewhere and catch a new PB!
Posted By: Jigfish

Re: Fishing on Memorial Day Weekend? Crowds ? - 05/22/14 12:51 PM

I will be on fork but won't leave Mustang
Posted By: TBassYates

Re: Fishing on Memorial Day Weekend? Crowds ? - 05/22/14 06:06 PM

Back when I was fishing all of the time Memorial weekend was when I started my night fishing. Some of my favorite memories were of spending Friday, Saturday and Sunday nights on Fork fishing all night. Some of the most incredible trips ever and no crowds to deal with.
Posted By: texasbass1

Re: Fishing on Memorial Day Weekend? Crowds ? - 05/22/14 06:50 PM

I usually stay home on the long weekends but this weekend I'll be on Ray Roberts and loving it.

If you go to LL or Hubbard be careful the nut cases have been out for a couple of weeks now
Posted By: Slade

Re: Fishing on Memorial Day Weekend? Crowds ? - 05/22/14 07:17 PM

I will be visiting family this weekend in Sulphur Springs, so I might head to Fork or Cypress Springs. There are alot of lakes out there, I would rather go to the least crowded one and I know that won't be Fork but I don't know where I will go. Any suggestions?
Posted By: Stax®

Re: Fishing on Memorial Day Weekend? Crowds ? - 05/22/14 07:19 PM

I would rather kiss a rattlesnake than fish "some" of these local lakes during Memorial day....Just saying...I ain't that mad at'em!

Re: Fishing on Memorial Day Weekend? Crowds ? - 05/22/14 08:46 PM

Originally Posted By: Stax®
I would rather kiss a rattlesnake than fish "some" of these local lakes during Memorial day....Just saying...I ain't that mad at'em!
frkazoid too funny.
Well, I remember back when had to work before retirement, that's when you go people/speed boats/skiers/jet skis and all....only time you had off to do those things.
Like the earlier poster, when was younger, remember family reunions and such, heat/crowds and all.
But, older now - Lord am I and I chose to fish through the week and almost never on the holidays.
Let the younger crowd have the lakes...
God Bless
Posted By: silverZX225

Re: Fishing on Memorial Day Weekend? Crowds ? - 05/22/14 10:39 PM

Agree with the on/off early.......
middle of the day goes like "Here I am DRUNK AGAIN" and driving a boat!!!!!!!
Posted By: Frank the Tank

Re: Fishing on Memorial Day Weekend? Crowds ? - 05/22/14 11:47 PM

I too have become a huge fan of a lawn chair by the boat ramp about an hour before Sundown on RayHub. It is pretty much unrivaled comedy. Last year, I saw: a guy scream at his wife in front of hundreds as if he had lost his mind, a dude pull his pontoon onto the trailer so hard he broke one of the bunks on the trailer, someone got arrested for under age intox, a dude forgot to trim his motor up and dragged it all the way up the ramp & about a quarter mile down the road before he stopped....... Sparks flying/skeg grinding, another dude beached a brand new skeeter into the rocks really hard, the list goes on. Fish early, enjoy the day, head to lake with lawn chair & a couple cold ones at about 8...... You can thank me later.

Re: Fishing on Memorial Day Weekend? Crowds ? - 05/22/14 11:51 PM

Originally Posted By: Frank the Tank
I too have become a huge fan of a lawn chair by the boat ramp about an hour before Sundown on RayHub. It is pretty much unrivaled comedy. Last year, I saw: a guy scream at his wife in front of hundreds as if he had lost his mind, a dude pull his pontoon onto the trailer so hard he broke one of the bunks on the trailer, someone got arrested for under age intox, a dude forgot to trim his motor up and dragged it all the way up the ramp & about a quarter mile down the road before he stopped....... Sparks flying/skeg grinding, another dude beached a brand new skeeter into the rocks really hard, the list goes on. Fish early, enjoy the day, head to lake with lawn chair & a couple cold ones at about 8...... You can thank me later.
frkazoid I'll sure bet for those folks 'AFTER', it wasn't so funny. Man the things people do.
You enjoy for us.....hopefully it's just a comedy of errors.
God Bless

Re: Fishing on Memorial Day Weekend? Crowds ? - 05/24/14 01:29 AM

Man, am sure there will be a LOT of this. Exactly the best reason to, as Frank said, grab a lawn chair/a cold one/ go to the boat launch and watch the show!
Mmmmm...I hope I'm wrong and not much happens. scared
God Bless
Originally Posted By: silverZX225
Agree with the on/off early.......
middle of the day goes like "Here I am DRUNK AGAIN" and driving a boat!!!!!!!
Posted By: eggs'isled

Re: Fishing on Memorial Day Weekend? Crowds ? - 05/24/14 02:18 AM

Opening day for the rookies, nope always sit this one out...great weekend to get the yard in shape and do wife things...have the rest of the year to hit the water...God Bless America and all the fallen troops and their family's !!!...
Posted By: mak123

Re: Fishing on Memorial Day Weekend? Crowds ? - 05/24/14 02:39 AM

I will be on eagle mountain at sun up.
Posted By: carlots

Re: Fishing on Memorial Day Weekend? Crowds ? - 05/24/14 02:48 AM

well Lee in Texas fish dog and I took care of our holiday fishing today 5-23-14. where were you??? you need to put up your computer and pick up your sticks. Ha! Ha! see my post in sandbass section. 12 blacks and 72 sandies. had a blast. have a great holiday.
Posted By: Ole Yeller

Re: Fishing on Memorial Day Weekend? Crowds ? - 05/24/14 03:10 AM

+1
Posted By: Baszin

Re: Fishing on Memorial Day Weekend? Crowds ? - 05/24/14 03:12 AM

Im headeed to ray bob in the morning for a few hours

Re: Fishing on Memorial Day Weekend? Crowds ? - 05/24/14 03:18 AM

Originally Posted By: KCFISH'N
Opening day for the rookies, nope always sit this one out...great weekend to get the yard in shape and do wife things...have the rest of the year to hit the water...God Bless America and all the fallen troops and their family's !!!...
thumb flag texas
Posted By: mak123

Re: Fishing on Memorial Day Weekend? Crowds ? - 05/24/14 03:18 AM

Should be a good morning. Slight breeze and a bit overcast. I can't pass up.

Re: Fishing on Memorial Day Weekend? Crowds ? - 05/24/14 03:34 AM

Other than LOTS of others, should be good fishing. Hope ya'll get some good ones.
Be careful
God Bless
fish flag
Posted By: Strait1277

Re: Fishing on Memorial Day Weekend? Crowds ? - 05/24/14 04:45 AM

Originally Posted By: Lee in Texas
LOL, hadn't thought of that one! Might be fun.......
God Bless
Originally Posted By: tidecraft94

Ya!!!

Re: Fishing on Memorial Day Weekend? Crowds ? - 05/24/14 11:19 AM

LOL, boat is in the shop getting a 'facelift'. Seats/Carpet/Bunks and detailing. Sounds like you had a ball.
BTW: I went to Academy, bought some of those baits!
Thanks Shipmate, sorry I missed you two on the water
God Bless
Originally Posted By: carlots
well Lee in Texas fish dog and I took care of our holiday fishing today 5-23-14. where were you??? you need to put up your computer and pick up your sticks. Ha! Ha! see my post in sandbass section. 12 blacks and 72 sandies. had a blast. have a great holiday.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum