Texas Fishing Forum

Hydrofoil or Not?

Posted By: badfishxD

Hydrofoil or Not? - 05/14/14 01:47 PM

I have a 2006 Stratos with a 150 xr6. It tops out around 65 mph, but starts to chinewalk. Really starting to consider a hydrofoil. I know it slows the boat down a few mph, but to have more control seems like a better option. What are your opinions?
Posted By: Karl Dietz

Re: Hydrofoil or Not? - 05/14/14 01:52 PM

Go to Steve's Props in Quitman and have him mount one of his HydroDynamic Rapid Jack Jackplates and raise the motor to approx. 3" below the pad
Posted By: HasBen

Re: Hydrofoil or Not? - 05/14/14 02:01 PM

Hydrofoils on bassboats are usually put on to fix a bad set up. I would look at prop selection, motor setback, motor height, motor tune, and weight distribution and leave the hydrofoil alone.
Posted By: Polly Gosh Lizard

Re: Hydrofoil or Not? - 05/14/14 02:14 PM

I have used them on 2 boats BUT they are for better hole shots. They are mostly out of the water while running at high speeds so that is not your problem.The height of your motor or weight distribution as HasBen said is probably more of the problem.

Mine cured a slow hole shot and will use them anytime where that is the problem.
Posted By: MWK

Re: Hydrofoil or Not? - 05/14/14 02:46 PM

Hydrofoil only stops mine from porpoising at 20 MPH and less. Motor height, prop selection and a little driver input and you'll be good.
Posted By: Fastest115GP100

Re: Hydrofoil or Not? - 05/14/14 03:47 PM

I agree with all in favor of getting a jackplate. It will help all aspects of performance.
Posted By: 90 5.0

Re: Hydrofoil or Not? - 05/15/14 12:50 AM

Hydrofoil is out of the water running at that speed, like others have said get your boat load at least semi close to balanced and work on the set-up and maybe some driving lessons from someone you know.

Hydro foil will help holeshot, but get a good one like an Allison style etc not one of the junk plastic ones.
Posted By: Mark Bisson

Re: Hydrofoil or Not? - 05/15/14 02:52 AM

I have a 19' stratos with a 200hp Johnson. I recently put a hydrofoil on the boat. The boat comes out of the hole really good now. I haven't noticed any speed loss, but it seems to use more fuel. Not 100% positive because it has always used a bunch of fuel. I like the hydrofoil on it. I used to have a hard time out of the hole with full tank of gas (40 gallons tank) and both live wells full, but now it comes out without any problem. I am glad I put it on. I would recommend it. I did go to Steves Prop shop. They reworked my raker prop also sold me a 4 blade prop. I like the 3 three blade raker better than the 4 blade for my boat.
Posted By: DKennimer

Re: Hydrofoil or Not? - 05/15/14 04:44 AM

I thought they were designed to keep the boat on plane at slower speeds...? popcorn2
Posted By: fitter2259

Re: Hydrofoil or Not? - 05/15/14 05:14 AM

Originally Posted By: DKennimer
I thought they were designed to keep the boat on plane at slower speeds...? popcorn2

They are...... but they also will/can improve a bad set-up to get on plane faster. Depending on hull design there can be more or less improvement in either or both. I have seen noticeable improvements in handling and stability in deep V ski and sport hulls.....bass boats not so much. You just don't really know until you have one installed and play with them a bit.
Posted By: hopalong

Re: Hydrofoil or Not? - 05/15/14 11:49 AM

the only one I would even look at is a bob's.

http://www.bobsmachine.com/True-Tracker-Stabilizer-Plates_c37.htm
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum