Texas Fishing Forum

What's wrong with my Nav Lights? Help!

Posted By: YankHardReelFast

What's wrong with my Nav Lights? Help! - 05/11/14 08:22 PM

This is on a 2009 Champion.

Yesterday morning we were fishing a main lake flat and took a wave over the front. I THINK that's when the problem started. On both the bow and console button panels there are 2 lights to indicate if your bow and stern lights are on. Riot to the wave none of these lights were on. After the wave the bow lifht indicator on both panels was flashing and couldn't be turned off. Also the bow light came on and could NOT be turned off. Even when the main power switch was turned off the bow light remained on.

The bow light does have a continuos hot wire running to it and I feel like it shorted across to the other wire somehow but I can't find where if it did.

Now to complicate things, after fishing today, the main power switch wouldn't turn off. I had to disconnect it from the battery to get it to go off.

Anyone else had this happen? I'm hoping the flashing indicator light meant something and one of y'all know what.
Posted By: SKEETER '96

Re: What's wrong with my Nav Lights? Help! - 05/11/14 08:28 PM

This is common in older boats that sit outside un covered. Bad grounds will drive you crazy.

Re: What's wrong with my Nav Lights? Help! - 05/11/14 08:33 PM

Boat has always been in a garage or shop. Even when it's going to/from lake it's covered.

Not saying it can't a bad ground, but it's definitely weathered.
Posted By: Donald Harper

Re: What's wrong with my Nav Lights? Help! - 05/11/14 10:46 PM

Things got wet. Not a short. Just a glitch in the computer.

Now that you have disconnected from the battery the computer will reset. I bet when you hook it back up all will work just fine.

Hope I am right; but it could be something else. Not a mechanic. Just had it do the same thing on my 2009 Skeeter. That is what the mechanic did.
Posted By: Capt Craig

Re: What's wrong with my Nav Lights? Help! - 05/12/14 12:14 AM

Freshwater doesn't make a circuit and shouldn't short anything out. Sounds like you have an electrical issue else where.
Posted By: gary purdy

Re: What's wrong with my Nav Lights? Help! - 05/12/14 11:39 AM

Sounds like a touch pad problem.

Re: What's wrong with my Nav Lights? Help! - 05/12/14 12:04 PM

So I got home last night, reconnected the hot wire to the battery and everything works like a champ. If rather find a problem rather than kinda not knowing what a entry wrong, but as of now I'm all good.

Thanks for everyone's help and opinions.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum