Texas Fishing Forum

Swimbait Hook Recommendation

Posted By: Big Swimbait

Swimbait Hook Recommendation - 05/08/14 06:57 PM

Just received my first order from Fringe Tackle & all I can say is wow! Which swimbait hook do you guys think works best with these baits? Search was not my friend. Thanks.
Posted By: BAJackson16

Re: Swimbait Hook Recommendation - 05/08/14 07:11 PM

1/8 oz. Owner Weighted Beast 4/0 Hook w/ Twistlock
Posted By: Undertaker56

Re: Swimbait Hook Recommendation - 05/08/14 07:15 PM

+1
Posted By: baitmonkey

Re: Swimbait Hook Recommendation - 05/08/14 07:19 PM

Originally Posted By: BAJackson16
1/8 oz. Owner Weighted Beast 4/0 Hook w/ Twistlock

This
Posted By: bigbass94

Re: Swimbait Hook Recommendation - 05/08/14 07:22 PM

+2
Posted By: CUTriton

Re: Swimbait Hook Recommendation - 05/08/14 07:46 PM

Originally Posted By: Big Swimbait
Just received my first order from Fringe Tackle & all I can say is wow! Which swimbait hook do you guys think works best with these baits? Search was not my friend. Thanks.

Real quick...keel weighted hooks came into being due to hollow belly and hollow body baits. There is a huge difference between those types of baits and line thru, line thru has planers on the sides to help stabilize the bait to keep it from rolling regardless of the retrieval speed. To counter balance a swimbait with no planer ie hollow belly requires a keel weight to perform as engineered. I don't get paid by Owner to tell anyone this but the 8/0 3/8 oz Beast is what I use and recommend, good balance with a wide gap and the weight gets it to where you want regardless of conditions and allows more control of the bait in the retrieval plus it will fly a country mile when you cast so you're covering a ton of water. Just make sure you look behind and below the bait when it gets close...but then there is nothing worse than seeing the dude and it sees you and turns away really stinks LOL but that's what throw backs are for.
Posted By: Rudy Lackey

Re: Swimbait Hook Recommendation - 05/08/14 07:55 PM

Originally Posted By: CUTriton
Originally Posted By: Big Swimbait

Real quick...keel weighted hooks came into being due to hollow belly and hollow body baits. There is a huge difference between those types of baits and line thru, line thru has planers on the sides to help stabilize the bait to keep it from rolling regardless of the retrieval speed. To counter balance a swimbait with no planer ie hollow belly requires a keel weight to perform as engineered. I don't get paid by Owner to tell anyone this but the 8/0 3/8 oz Beast is what I use and recommend, good balance with a wide gap and the weight gets it to where you want regardless of conditions and allows more control of the bait in the retrieval plus it will fly a country mile when you cast so you're covering a ton of water. Just make sure you look behind and below the bait when it gets close...but then there is nothing worse than seeing the dude and it sees you and turns away really stinks LOL but that's what throw backs are for.
Posted By: ChampionDon (SkeeterDon)

Re: Swimbait Hook Recommendation - 05/08/14 07:57 PM

Originally Posted By: CUTriton
Just make sure you look behind and below the bait when it gets close...but then there is nothing worse than seeing the dude and it sees you and turns away really stinks LOL but that's what throw backs are for.

You should almost always, at least at minimum, stop (pause) the bait before you see it (at some point before it gets to the boat, because by the time you see the fish, its too late). Get into the habit of doing this and you will see more hook ups and catches because of it.

Mark my word, you will start doing this and be consistent when doing it, then you will go through a drought (long period without a bite) and fall back into old habits and when you do, you will look down and see a 5+ lb'r following your bait and you will be kicking yourself in the a$$ because you got lazy.

Good Luck, oh and the Owner Beast hooks work perfect for their swimbaits. That is all I use.
Posted By: Bayou Burner

Re: Swimbait Hook Recommendation - 05/08/14 07:59 PM

Not to get off topic but, has anyone tried the Santone Swimbait Hook? Looks good, and has a 8/0 I believe. Not sure if the nose-weighted style would effect the action on a Hollow Belly as I've always used keel weighted. Thanks.
Posted By: CUTriton

Re: Swimbait Hook Recommendation - 05/08/14 08:01 PM

Last tip and get into the habit and Don spot on, if you can see them they can probably see you...last second jerk your rod to one side or the other...nothing compares to seeing it that close.. it's awesome and happens so fast...I got go fishing one of these days.
Posted By: Big Swimbait

Re: Swimbait Hook Recommendation - 05/08/14 08:06 PM

Thanks for the awesome tips & advice!
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum