Texas Fishing Forum

Rod for 0.5 crankbaits

Posted By: Jig-N-Spoon

Rod for 0.5 crankbaits - 05/02/14 11:22 AM

Need rod recommendations for the small 1/4 oz squarebill cranks thrown on 8-10 lb line. My problem is not so much throwing them but keeping them buttoned when hooked. Have upgraded to #5 hooks but still loose too many good fish. I am currently using an old All Star 7' PRM popping rod and it is OK but I have very little control when fighting fish it is so limber. Your thoughts? 'spoon
Posted By: Ban-D

Re: Rod for 0.5 crankbaits - 05/02/14 11:51 AM

For kvd 1.0s I use a med action 13omen 6'10" and 15lb mono swap the hooks with #6 kvd tripplegrips. I can cast one a mile.keeping a fish buttoned has to do with how well they eat it and how the angler fights the fish.
Posted By: "Old School"

Re: Rod for 0.5 crankbaits - 05/02/14 12:48 PM

I'm thinking you should be using a medium action rod. That popping rod doesn't have a good backbone to set the hook. I love throwing the 1.5's and have never had an issue with loosing them.
Posted By: billclay

Re: Rod for 0.5 crankbaits - 05/03/14 11:16 PM

I throw that size cranks on a ML spinning rod with ten pound flourocarbon.
Posted By: baitmonkey

Re: Rod for 0.5 crankbaits - 05/05/14 02:06 PM

For small to midsize crankbaits, medium power, moderate action, around 7'. St Croix Rage rods are pretty nice, also the Avid. My brother said the same thing about loosing fish, once he went to medium action, that stopped.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum