Texas Fishing Forum

Small Lakes around DFW

Posted By: Tristen

Small Lakes around DFW - 05/01/14 07:09 PM

Anyone know of any smaller lakes around dfw? I just put a deck on my 14' Jon boat and looking for places without a lot of boaters to get accustomed to it. By small I mean 1,000 acres or less, and hopefully an hour from fort worth at the most. Any suggestions will help.
Posted By: K.D.

Re: Small Lakes around DFW - 05/01/14 07:10 PM

Check out www.privatewaterfishing.com. you will love it with that boat.
Posted By: Jersey Dan

Re: Small Lakes around DFW - 05/01/14 07:11 PM

Bachman Lake. Try to break the champs lake record.
Posted By: Phototex

Re: Small Lakes around DFW - 05/01/14 07:18 PM

If you can launch, Weatherford might work, too.

Re: Small Lakes around DFW - 05/01/14 07:39 PM

Originally Posted By: K.D.
Check out www.privatewaterfishing.com. you will love it with that boat.

Unfortunately i don't have that kind of money to spend, wish i did. Thanks though

Re: Small Lakes around DFW - 05/01/14 07:42 PM

Originally Posted By: Jersey Dan
Bachman Lake. Try to break the champs lake record.

I've fished bachman from the bank. Never thought of putting a boat in, do they allow it?
Posted By: Heron

Re: Small Lakes around DFW - 05/01/14 07:59 PM

Mineral Wells S.P., Lake Palo Pinto (?-never been), Pat Cleburne (also, never fished there), Benbrook (also never fished there), Graham Lake, Alvarado, Bridgeport and there's a new city park lake down by Glen Rose that you might look up. I think you've got plenty of good options. Some of those may be bigger than 1,000 ac. but due to drought conditions, are smaller now and harder to get large boats into.
Posted By: FW_Tom_H

Re: Small Lakes around DFW - 05/01/14 08:02 PM

Yes, but there is a horsepower limit of 10.5 HP at Bachman (and White Rock). You can launch any size motor there, but can only use the electric trolling motor if your outboard is >10.5.
Posted By: bigbass87

Re: Small Lakes around DFW - 05/01/14 08:07 PM

Wheeler Branch, if you have a trolling motor.
Posted By: Brandon Potter

Re: Small Lakes around DFW - 05/01/14 08:10 PM

Purtis Creek

Re: Small Lakes around DFW - 05/01/14 08:20 PM

Originally Posted By: Brandon Potter
Purtis Creek

I plan on going to Purtis Creek here in a couple weeks. It sounds like a Jon boat's paradise, even though it's a little far.

Re: Small Lakes around DFW - 05/01/14 08:30 PM

Originally Posted By: Heron
Mineral Wells S.P., Lake Palo Pinto (?-never been), Pat Cleburne (also, never fished there), Benbrook (also never fished there), Graham Lake, Alvarado, Bridgeport and there's a new city park lake down by Glen Rose that you might look up. I think you've got plenty of good options. Some of those may be bigger than 1,000 ac. but due to drought conditions, are smaller now and harder to get large boats into.

Thanks for all the suggestions. Only place I've been on that list is benbrook. I'll have to check some of the others out
Posted By: Rudy Cortinas

Re: Small Lakes around DFW - 05/01/14 08:45 PM

Originally Posted By: FishyMan
Yes, but there is a horsepower limit of 10.5 HP at Bachman (and White Rock). You can launch any size motor there, but can only use the electric trolling motor if your outboard is >10.5.

FYI
Bachman Lake :From TPW web-site
Fishing Regulations

All species are currently managed under statewide regulations. This lake has a 5-horsepower limit on boat motors; anglers may use electric trolling motors.

https://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/fishboat/fish/recreational/lakes/bachman/

White Rock Lake :from TPW site
Fishing Regulations

All species are currently managed under statewide regulations. This lake has a 9.9-horsepower limit on boat motors; anglers may use electric trolling motors.

https://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/fishboat/fish/recreational/lakes/white_rock/
Posted By: Ban-D

Re: Small Lakes around DFW - 05/01/14 08:45 PM

Originally Posted By: Tristen Rodriguez
Originally Posted By: Heron

Thanks for all the suggestions. Only place I've been on that list is benbrook. I'll have to check some of the others out
good luck launching cleburne. I had to get out to get the boat on he trailer last month and it's just gotten lower. Alvarado has become heavily pressured but is small. Very steep boat ramp too.cleburne state park is good for numbers. Wheeler branch but you have to pay to fish it.
Posted By: RiveraTackleCo.

Re: Small Lakes around DFW - 05/01/14 10:02 PM

Marine creek....

Re: Small Lakes around DFW - 05/01/14 10:14 PM

Originally Posted By: CarlosRivera
Marine creek....

Been fishing marine creek the last week. I've only caught dinks around the grass, it's been a great learning lake though.
Posted By: Hard Rain

Re: Small Lakes around DFW - 05/01/14 10:54 PM

My vote would be Lake Clark in Ennis.
Posted By: CCTX

Re: Small Lakes around DFW - 05/01/14 11:09 PM

PM sent
Posted By: manhunter

Re: Small Lakes around DFW - 05/01/14 11:09 PM

Mill Creek in Canton, Lake Clark in Ennis, Lake Waxahachie in Waxahachie and South Lake in Farmersville, just to name a few more.

Re: Small Lakes around DFW - 05/02/14 02:29 AM

Thanks for the input everyone.
Posted By: Bardwell

Re: Small Lakes around DFW - 05/02/14 03:03 AM

Hey let's keep it quiet about lake Clark and Waxahachie smile
Posted By: Douglas J

Re: Small Lakes around DFW - 05/02/14 03:16 AM

Mountain Creek
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum