Texas Fishing Forum

Best set up and bait for walking the dog

Posted By: Slade

Best set up and bait for walking the dog - 04/29/14 06:52 PM

What is your favorite set up & bait for walking the dog?

Zara Spook is all that I have ever used, and usually on a 6'6" or 7' MH on 15lb mono - Just looking for other opinions, I'm going to focus on this a little more this year.

Thanks
Posted By: BassFisher317

Re: Best set up and bait for walking the dog - 04/29/14 07:24 PM

I throw mine on a 7ft medium with an extra fast tip paired up with a high speed reel and 20lb braid. My favorites are a Lucky Craft Gun Fish, a Lucky Craft Sammy and a KVD Sexy Dawg.
Posted By: KB1953

Re: Best set up and bait for walking the dog - 04/29/14 07:44 PM

You have the proper set up for your spook. It's all in the presentation and finding bait fish.
Posted By: Lil joe

Re: Best set up and bait for walking the dog - 04/29/14 07:48 PM

They are marketed to the saltwater crowd but the mirro lure she dogs and he dogs have great walk the dog action also. I love them in saltwater and have used them some for schooling fish in freshwater. The really good thing about them is they will cast a mile.
Posted By: Jedfish

Re: Best set up and bait for walking the dog - 04/29/14 10:48 PM

I also like a saltwater bait for walking the dog. Try the Bomber Ba-Donk-A-Donk...it is fun to fish.
Posted By: RiverAssassin512

Re: Best set up and bait for walking the dog - 04/29/14 11:04 PM

Livingston Lures Pro Sizzle jr. Wins my vote!
My set up would be a 6'8 MH Dobyns champion rod with 15 pound Big Game.
Posted By: Ban-D

Re: Best set up and bait for walking the dog - 04/29/14 11:04 PM

6'10" med action with 15lb big game is what I use.
Posted By: Ban-D

Re: Best set up and bait for walking the dog - 04/29/14 11:05 PM

Originally Posted By: Jedfish
I also like a saltwater bait for walking the dog. Try the Bomber Ba-Donk-A-Donk...it is fun to fish.
I found one of those bad boys haha it looks like baby bass color but I guess it's not.
Posted By: Donald Harper

Re: Best set up and bait for walking the dog - 04/29/14 11:10 PM

My favorite set up is the spook fished on a 6.5 med. Heavy rod. A AllStar will do.
- Line is 25# Stren Mono. Original - It has the fewest polymers, it floats better.

My spook techniques are much different than most. I have only caught one huge bass walking the bait in 30 years and I snagged her in the top of the head doing a figure 8 beside the boat. All my big bass have come while it is sitting or making it do 180 degree turns in one spot.

It all comes down to the area holding the fish. Very calm water with lots of vegetation to put the spook up beside and learning what to do when a blow-up occurs but no hook up.

Go here for the techniques:

http://texasfishingforum.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/9017115/Sharing_Spook_Techniques
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum