Texas Fishing Forum

7 ft rod

Posted By: godeepete

7 ft rod - 04/28/14 11:00 PM

Finally bought a seven ft rod and I really don't know what to throw what is your favorite bait on 7ft rods?
Posted By: stickum

Re: 7 ft rod - 04/28/14 11:11 PM

What action is the rod? I use a 7ft rod for a lot of different techniques.
Posted By: Ban-D

Re: 7 ft rod - 04/28/14 11:40 PM

Originally Posted By: stickum
What action is the rod? I use a 7ft rod for a lot of different techniques.
Posted By: NickHasty

Re: 7 ft rod - 04/28/14 11:41 PM

about the only thing i dont like at least a 7' rod for fishing jerkbaits, because my rod is pointed towards the water surface, and sometimes the tip contacts either the edge of the boat or the water.

I dont mind a shorter rod for vertical jigging or drop shotting, but 7' rods work well for that i think as well.

I like even longer rods for deep cranking, football jigs, and crigs....

7' is in my opinion a good all around length, for spinnerbaits, squarebills, traps, trigs, pitchin jigs, swim jigs/chatterbaits, swimbaits, etc. etc.
Posted By: godeepete

Re: 7 ft rod - 04/29/14 01:32 AM

Its a medium heavy rod and I put a GSX tournament pro reel on the rod. I have a skeet rease victory reel I may have to experiment a little bit.
Posted By: JPost

Re: 7 ft rod - 04/29/14 02:33 AM

Like said, you can effectively throw just about anything with it. If you like to use a weighted t-rig spool some 12 to 20 lb fluorocarbon and make it your primary bottom bouncer. Get use to the feel. 7 foot MH is the most versatile rod out there.
Posted By: ezbassin

Re: 7 ft rod - 04/29/14 03:16 AM

Everything. I only have 2 baitcasters that are shorter than 7ft. All the rest of my bait casters are 7ft and longer up to 8ft.
Posted By: timwins31

Re: 7 ft rod - 04/29/14 04:13 AM

Originally Posted By: ezbassin
Everything. I only have 2 baitcasters that are shorter than 7ft. All the rest of my bait casters are 7ft and longer up to 8ft.

Yup, me too. I have a 6'10 pitching rod and a 6'6 I use for pond fishing and tight quarters. The rest are 7 or longer. A 7' MH rod is about the most versatile rod you can own for bass fishing.
Posted By: Evan O'Brien

Re: 7 ft rod - 04/29/14 05:51 AM

Originally Posted By: godeepete
Its a medium heavy rod and I put a GSX tournament pro reel on the rod. I have a skeet rease victory reel I may have to experiment a little bit.

A MH (Medium Heavy) rod is versatile.. TX rigs, lighter c-rigs, spinnerbaits, chatterbaits, lighter jigs and smaller swimbats, etc. will mostly be covered with that rig.. cheers
Posted By: KSalcedo222

Re: 7 ft rod - 04/29/14 03:20 PM

Originally Posted By: Evan O'Brien
Originally Posted By: godeepete

A MH (Medium Heavy) rod is versatile.. TX rigs, lighter c-rigs, spinnerbaits, chatterbaits, lighter jigs and smaller swimbats, etc. will mostly be covered with that rig.. cheers

Gotta agree with Evan!
My favorites are TX Rigs, C-Rigs, and Spinnerbaits!
Posted By: catslayer

Re: 7 ft rod - 04/29/14 04:39 PM

Unless I am flipping docks I like a 7 foot at least, flipping/skipping docks I want like 6'8" it is SO much more maneuverable. But other than that I pretty much have 7 foot or more
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum