Texas Fishing Forum

Stolen Hummingbird 1199 CI SI At Splash

Posted By: BassLakeFork

Stolen Hummingbird 1199 CI SI At Splash - 04/28/14 02:20 AM

Had my Humminbird 1199 CI SI stolen last night at the Big Bass Splash.

Sick thing to wake up to.... Bought it few weeks ago.

S/N 14021203-0172

Report filed with Jasper police. Please contact them if you run into it for sale somewhere.

Thanks and god bless.
Posted By: YankHardReelFast

Re: Stolen Hummingbird 1199 CI SI At Splash - 04/28/14 02:46 AM

Dang it. Where were you staying when it was stolen?
Posted By: Donald Harper

Re: Stolen Hummingbird 1199 CI SI At Splash - 04/28/14 02:47 AM

I am ordering some cameras that will watch inside the truck and boat. It is two very small spy cams. that will be very well hidden. I have to order 200 to get a great price. Let me know if interested.
Posted By: blakeT414

Re: Stolen Hummingbird 1199 CI SI At Splash - 04/28/14 03:01 AM

Sucks!!! I had one wheel stolen off my truck at lake Athens! But I always take my graphs off and keep them in my hotel room. Just a good practice. Rods too!

Re: Stolen Hummingbird 1199 CI SI At Splash - 04/28/14 03:27 AM

Appreciate the comments.....

Was staying at the Econo Lodge. They pointed out multiple cameras this morning pointing to the parking lot.

The police department told me a detective would be assigned.

This is the first time I have ventured outside of Sealy's Fork events.

Will keep you posted.

Re: Stolen Hummingbird 1199 CI SI At Splash - 04/28/14 03:31 AM

Hopefully the cameras will show something.

Was it an in dash unit or one you added? I'm just curious how aggressive they were in stealing it. In other words, was it an easy target?
Posted By: Abilenehookset

Re: Stolen Hummingbird 1199 CI SI At Splash - 04/28/14 04:10 AM

Hate theifs
Posted By: timwins31

Re: Stolen Hummingbird 1199 CI SI At Splash - 04/28/14 04:31 AM

Good luck buddy. Maybe you'll get lucky and the cops will find the scumbag and beat his hands with a claw hammer.

Re: Stolen Hummingbird 1199 CI SI At Splash - 04/28/14 12:35 PM

I had both an 899 and an 1199 on the boat. The 899 was up front on a Ram mount - it was removed each night.

The 1199 was at the console. There was no room for a Ram mount, so I had the gimbal mount modified at a machine shop and mounted directly to the dash behind the wheel. Even with the modified mount, it was very tight. The wires fed through a large hole in the dash and had to be pushed on as the 1199 squeezed into place. I did have to pull it off once and it was stressing both the dash, bracket, and connections.

If I was not worried about damage it could have been ripped out fairly quickly.

Lesson learned..... If I cannot remove the electronics fairly easily then just do not take the boat. I definitely take some of the blame here for not protecting one of my prized possessions more carefully.
Posted By: Jmsteele

Re: Stolen Hummingbird 1199 CI SI At Splash - 04/28/14 01:28 PM

Man that sucks, we were staying at econo lodge also. We were in the Phoenix parked up front by the fountain. That place was pretty well lit with lots of people, I saw several people leaving their graphs on and even rods on deck. Hope they catch the guy.
Posted By: KB1953

Re: Stolen Hummingbird 1199 CI SI At Splash - 04/28/14 03:36 PM

Sorry for your loss, stayed down the street at the Jasper Inn and had people walking around all night that were not staying there along with cars coming in and out all day and night. Finally had to go to the lake to get some sleep and not worry about getting ripped off. I talked to the security guard Saturday night and he said well you know how young people are, got up at 12:00 A.M. and went to Big Sam!
Posted By: sktr300zx

Re: Stolen Hummingbird 1199 CI SI At Splash - 04/28/14 06:11 PM

that's Jasper for you. Had a friend of mine lost all of his electronics they same way! never found! BUT I'm sure the POS that got them enjoyed a good METH trip!
Posted By: JPost

Re: Stolen Hummingbird 1199 CI SI At Splash - 04/28/14 06:23 PM

Sorry about that.

Maybe this has already been tried but I always thought it would be a great idea to charge a bass boat surcharge and use the proceeds to pay for armed, onsite security. Wouldn't take much to pay offduty cops to patrol a parking area during the night.
Posted By: ogles824 (aka Lakewaydr50)

Re: Stolen Hummingbird 1199 CI SI At Splash - 04/28/14 08:08 PM

I was at a Honey Hole tournament way back in the days of Jerry Dean @ Axton's Bass City and this happened to some boats in broad daylight while the weigh in was going on. Most of the rigs were parked on the road next to the store going down to the boat ramp and camping area.
Posted By: Fish hunter 59

Re: Stolen Hummingbird 1199 CI SI At Splash - 04/28/14 08:18 PM

Hope it wasn't another fisherman, if so and caught would hate to be him! Plaster his name and face everywhere. Hope you get it back!
Posted By: ScottEdgar

Re: Stolen Hummingbird 1199 CI SI At Splash - 04/28/14 08:52 PM

I wonder if Hummingbird might have any way of tracking the units? Just a thought.

Re: Stolen Hummingbird 1199 CI SI At Splash - 04/28/14 09:12 PM

Originally Posted By: triton22ed
I wonder if Hummingbird might have any way of tracking the units? Just a thought.

With all of the technology in today's world, you think they'd come up with one of two things:

1) Put some sort of tracking device on them so they could track them like OnStar.
2) Put a password screen upon turning the unit on that would prevent anyone from passing that screen if they didn't know the password.
Posted By: slim 285

Re: Stolen Hummingbird 1199 CI SI At Splash - 04/28/14 10:27 PM

Sad deal for you. I would not be so sure it was a crack head. Could have very well been a competitor . I had a 100.00 dip net stole out of my boat by someone staying at a motel I was staying at.
Posted By: the skipper

Re: Stolen Hummingbird 1199 CI SI At Splash - 04/28/14 11:23 PM

Sorry man. They really come out when big tournies come to town. They steal off the boats while people are weighing in. I've got to where if I'm not in my boat, everything is locked up and removed unless its in my driveway. Then I still keep an eye out.

Re: Stolen Hummingbird 1199 CI SI At Splash - 04/28/14 11:45 PM

No word from the Jasper detective today. Will have to call them tomorrow to get copy of police report.

Anxious to see the video footage. Will post here if allowed.
Posted By: Pearlandtexan

Re: Stolen Hummingbird 1199 CI SI At Splash - 04/29/14 12:03 AM

That sucks! Only one good place on this earth for a thief!!! Hope they have a suspect after they watch the video!

Good luck!
Posted By: El Skeeter

Re: Stolen Hummingbird 1199 CI SI At Splash - 04/29/14 01:25 AM

Originally Posted By: Fish hunter 59
Hope it wasn't another fisherman, if so and caught would hate to be him! Plaster his name and face everywhere. Hope you get it back!

Doubt a fellow fisherman would steal, at weigh-in we leave high dollar rods & reels on deck, along
with our high dollar electronics in plain sight. Not to mention the weigh-in stage is quite a ways
from the ramp, obscured by trees. Or in the over flow parking lot even further away.
Its Our unwritten code of conduct.

Re: Stolen Hummingbird 1199 CI SI At Splash - 04/29/14 01:51 AM

Originally Posted By: El Skeeter

Doubt a fellow fisherman would steal, at weigh-in we leave high dollar rods & reels on deck, along
with our high dollar electronics in plain sight. Not to mention the weigh-in stage is quite a ways
from the ramp, obscured by trees. Or in the over flow parking lot even further away.

The sad part is it only takes one that doesn't read or understand that unwritten code and it spoils it for all of us. frown
Posted By: elkhartdom

Re: Stolen Hummingbird 1199 CI SI At Splash - 04/29/14 02:14 AM

Originally Posted By: YankHardReelFast
Originally Posted By: triton22ed

With all of the technology in today's world, you think they'd come up with one of two things:

1) Put some sort of tracking device on them so they could track them like OnStar.
2) Put a password screen upon turning the unit on that would prevent anyone from passing that screen if they didn't know the password.

man I like that idea, I know I had my computer start code changed the day I bought my ranger.
Posted By: Workfishngolf37

Re: Stolen Hummingbird 1199 CI SI At Splash - 04/29/14 02:41 AM

My question is who do the meth heads sell fishing equipment to? Shouldn't be hard for the law to figure it out as much it's been happening at lake fork. Meth heads aren't going to drive far. They will steal it off your boat and try to sell it back to you in the morning. They are selling it to other fishermen. So next time when you think your getting a good deal it's probably stolen. In fact I beat some of it is being sold on tff.
Posted By: Workfishngolf37

Re: Stolen Hummingbird 1199 CI SI At Splash - 04/29/14 02:52 AM

I'm like you slim285. Chances are its meth head but there's a chance it's a bass fishermen. Being a fishermen don't make you an honest person. If it did there wouldn't be no reason to Polygraph suspected tournament cheaters, or hear rants about how I was at that spot first. There can only be one first so that means someone was not telling the truth.
Posted By: Mark Perry

Re: Stolen Hummingbird 1199 CI SI At Splash - 04/29/14 02:52 AM

Fished a Media Super Teams a couple of years ago and even though we were 50-75yds from the parking lot in broad daylight a few boats got hit with us all standing there. We saw no lurkers or meth monkeys. It had to be other anglers. As much as it sucks you cannot leave anything you want to keep out in the open when you are not right there with it.
Posted By: kingwoodcat1

Re: Stolen Hummingbird 1199 CI SI At Splash - 04/29/14 02:56 AM

Man I cringe every time I hear of a bass fisherman getting something in his boat stolen. I had my whole rig stolen in September and it stung pretty bad. The only justice that I got out of the deal was that they caught the sorry SOB LAST month. He was stupid enough to still have my boat registration papers on him. Since insurance had already paid me, I couldn't recover any of my stuff. Hopefully they will catch the sorry sucker and you can recover your unit. Sorry you're having to deal with this...
Posted By: timwins31

Re: Stolen Hummingbird 1199 CI SI At Splash - 04/29/14 04:11 AM

Engraving your stuff helps. It's hard to sell something with another guys name on it or a big ground down spot. Yea it may effect resale for YOU, but I still do it.
Posted By: Fish hunter 59

Re: Stolen Hummingbird 1199 CI SI At Splash - 04/29/14 12:51 PM

Originally Posted By: Mark Perry

Fished a Media Super Teams a couple of years ago and even though we were 50-75yds from the parking lot in broad daylight a few boats got hit with us all standing there. We saw no lurkers or meth monkeys. It had to be other anglers. As much as it sucks you cannot leave anything you want to keep out in the open when you are not right there with it.

All good points, you hate to think its another competitor or angler, we've all heard of guys cheating in tourneys. Is there really a difference, cheating to win or stealing, your still taking something that's not yours!

Re: Stolen Hummingbird 1199 CI SI At Splash - 04/29/14 02:32 PM

Due to the times we live in, people need to be at high alert at all times whether it is fishing a tournament or going to the store. They tried to steal my truck last year during the Legend tournament at Lake Fork.
Posted By: LazyCatch

Re: Stolen Hummingbird 1199 CI SI At Splash - 04/29/14 03:23 PM

We will keep an eye out on Craigslist, eBay, and a few other local forums and let you know if anything pops up by chance. All too often criminals like this try to flip them online.
Posted By: North Rayburn Fishin'

Re: Stolen Hummingbird 1199 CI SI At Splash - 04/29/14 04:09 PM

This happened to a guy on BBC and he contacted Humminbird with his serial number and the guy that bought the stolen equipment tried to register the unit and the local PD showed up at his door. I would contact Humminbird and let them know that the unit was stolen and open the serial number up so whoever ends up with it can register it in there name and they will have a name and address for the new owner.
Posted By: Darrel

Re: Stolen Hummingbird 1199 CI SI At Splash - 04/29/14 06:40 PM

That stinks man...but you can never trust anyone when it comes to stuff like that!! Way too many thieves out there. Always remove your electronics from your boat...better to be safe than sorry!
Posted By: InTheClear

Re: Stolen Hummingbird 1199 CI SI At Splash - 04/29/14 07:53 PM

thieves should be shot, survivors should be shot again for good measures!

Re: Stolen Hummingbird 1199 CI SI At Splash - 04/30/14 12:17 PM

+1

Re: Stolen Hummingbird 1199 CI SI At Splash - 05/01/14 01:44 AM

Spoke with the detective yesterday and went over exactly where in the Econo Lodge lot at the boat was located.

They are reviewing the video. No word back yet today.

He is also pursing other methods to identify the people involved.

Appreciate some of the creative suggestions listed here.
Posted By: Bruce Johns

Re: Stolen Hummingbird 1199 CI SI At Splash - 05/01/14 01:57 AM

That sux.
Maybe notify the Lufkin, and Jasper if they have one, pawn shops to be on the lookout.
Hope ya catch the jerk.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum