Texas Fishing Forum

Minn Kota or motor guide??

Posted By: Fishing man88

Minn Kota or motor guide?? - 04/21/14 04:38 PM

Just wondering which brand people like better?? Because I'm thinking about buying me a new foot controlled trolling motor??
Posted By: Huddleston

Re: Minn Kota or motor guide?? - 04/21/14 04:41 PM

I prefer the motorguide 109 thrust 36 volt. I'm not a big fan of plastic on my trolling motors. Everyone has there own opinions on which brand is better.
Posted By: bogey♂

Re: Minn Kota or motor guide?? - 04/21/14 04:47 PM

I like the foot pedal of the MK better. Either will be a good choice, kinda like Coke vs. Dr Pepper eeks
Posted By: Andrew Taylor

Re: Minn Kota or motor guide?? - 04/21/14 04:53 PM

Had three motor guides, always been good to me.
Posted By: Evan O'Brien

Re: Minn Kota or motor guide?? - 04/21/14 04:58 PM

I switched from the motorguide to MK a couple of months ago... I like the switch so far and I'm about to list my 36v motorguides.

If you're easy on your trolling motor and don't run up shallow and into a bunch of trees the motorguide will be fine. I only switched because I had to replace 4 shafts in the last 4 years and went to the darkside...
Posted By: slshaneus

Re: Minn Kota or motor guide?? - 04/21/14 05:29 PM

Motorguide!
Posted By: TallBaldCypress

Re: Minn Kota or motor guide?? - 04/21/14 05:36 PM

After 2 years the entire motor fell of my fortrex one day on conroe. Cost over $500 to fix it...ruined the motor because it filled with water. Supposedly, the shaft is threaded and the motor is loc-tited to the shaft per Minn Kota customer service so I have no idea how it happened but the shaft and motor threads were stripped. I called and was VERY disappointed that they wouldn't do anything to help me out on parts... not even a discount. That's my only experience with Minn Kota. Given the choice, on my next boat, it wont be Minn Kota.
Posted By: forkduc

Re: Minn Kota or motor guide?? - 04/21/14 05:39 PM

I've had both and prefer the Minnkota.
Posted By: Nutman

Re: Minn Kota or motor guide?? - 04/21/14 05:43 PM

Tomatoe / Tomaato
Patotoe / Pataato
Posted By: bwhatley

Re: Minn Kota or motor guide?? - 04/21/14 06:26 PM

MG just can't hang with MK when it comes to going through thick grass. Simply no comparison at all.
Posted By: Bissett

Re: Minn Kota or motor guide?? - 04/21/14 06:53 PM

Ford or Chevy? Ranger or Skeeter? Really though, it's hard to go wrong with either. I've used both and they are both really great.
Posted By: patriot07

Re: Minn Kota or motor guide?? - 04/21/14 08:18 PM

My Motorguide is about to turn 18 years old and still going strong.
Posted By: Bass98

Re: Minn Kota or motor guide?? - 04/21/14 08:29 PM

I like motor guide, had a good experience with BPS/MG (had to deal with both) when the glue on a screw came out. Replaced the entire motor for free and got me back on the water quick. I have had Min Kota and they do go threw grass better, but when the grass is really thick it's tough no matter what motor you have. I like the pedal on the MG better. I have put it through a lot of abuse and don't have any complaints so far.

Like Bissett said its a Ford vs Chevy.
Posted By: manhunter

Re: Minn Kota or motor guide?? - 04/21/14 09:15 PM

I like the foot control on the Kota better. As far as performance they are about the same. Just get one powerful enough to do what has to be done and you'll be fine.
Posted By: Lee59

Re: Minn Kota or motor guide?? - 04/21/14 09:55 PM

Had them both MK is much better will never own another motorguide
Posted By: Jeremy S.

Re: Minn Kota or motor guide?? - 04/21/14 10:07 PM

Had them both, currently have a MK 101, next boat I'll probably go back to an MG. I just prefer the feel of the steering and the foot switch on the MK.

No performance issues with any I've had from either brand though and I will go ridiculously shallow certain times of the year looking for fish.
Posted By: TxFisherman03

Re: Minn Kota or motor guide?? - 04/21/14 10:17 PM

Ford vs. Chevy, Ranger vs. Skeeter, Quantum vs. Abu, Coke vs. Dr.Pepper, 4wd vs. 2wd, Quality vs. Quantity.

To each their own, everyone will have an opinion about each. Go out with someone that has each one of them and pick what you like the best.
MG all the way though......lol
Posted By: wormy1

Re: Minn Kota or motor guide?? - 04/21/14 11:16 PM

I've had both i live in and fish in the stumps. Forget where you are with MG bent shaft $60 to straighten if lucky more if new shaft.MK it hit stump nothing still going. broke one shaft with MK but hit a wake forty mph winds trolling came down while running cracked MK free replacement but down time for replacement. hooked
Posted By: Ban-D

Re: Minn Kota or motor guide?? - 04/21/14 11:24 PM

I don't like minkota foot pedals. They put the button on the wrong side.
Posted By: Lil joe

Re: Minn Kota or motor guide?? - 04/21/14 11:29 PM

Originally Posted By: forkduc
I've had both and prefer the Minnkota.

+1 thumb
Posted By: DKennimer

Re: Minn Kota or motor guide?? - 04/22/14 02:03 AM

They are both great product or they wouldn't be in business for as long as they both have been. I prefer MinnKota. The only complaint I have is bending the outer tube on the shaft. I bend at least one every year.
Posted By: Chuck N. Wind

Re: Minn Kota or motor guide?? - 04/22/14 02:34 AM

I firmly believe that Minn Kota is a superior product.

I replaced a still working 40 year old Minn Kota with a new Minn Kota.

Customer Service is beyond helpful. Parts are readily available if ever needed. Lifetime composite shaft warranty. The Weedless Wedge props shred grass. The foot control is comfortable and easy to use barefoot or with any footwear.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum