Texas Fishing Forum

Shad spawn

Posted By: Mark Perry

Shad spawn - 04/19/14 03:01 AM

Gonna be a later shad spawn I assume as well with water temps still hovering in the 60 degree range in a lot of lakes. Poor bass will be spawning into late June the way we are going. Bluegill spawn will be even later and shad spawn is on schedule for September I think..... rolfmao
Posted By: YankHardReelFast

Re: Shad spawn - 04/19/14 03:02 AM

And Santa won't come see 'em til March!
Posted By: Mark Perry

Re: Shad spawn - 04/19/14 03:06 AM

I am curious for the guys that keep logs just how far off the water temp is right now than the same time in previous years. seems we are having heck getting over 65 and staying there water wise.
Posted By: bradnitro175

Re: Shad spawn - 04/19/14 03:41 AM

It needs to hurry up I keep hitting spots in the memory bank and there's nothing there
Posted By: Evan O'Brien

Re: Shad spawn - 04/19/14 04:42 AM

Originally Posted By: Mark Perry
I am curious for the guys that keep logs just how far off the water temp is right now than the same time in previous years. seems we are having heck getting over 65 and staying there water wise.

I'd be interested in that as well..
Posted By: BanjoMinnow

Re: Shad spawn - 04/19/14 05:24 AM

Originally Posted By: Evan O'Brien
Originally Posted By: Mark Perry

I'd be interested in that as well..

+1
Posted By: DKennimer

Re: Shad spawn - 04/19/14 05:31 AM

Gizzard shad usually spawn when water temps are between 65- 70 on a warming trend, thread fin a little later about 70. I'm sure you already knew this though. I think this years spawn is about 3 weeks behind. But, fish are cold water creatures and will adapt... This weeks weather might put the water temps where they need to be to get things started. I'm curious what a marine biologist in this area would have to say...
Posted By: Bayou Burner

Re: Shad spawn - 04/19/14 06:24 AM

Yes sir, the weather has been crazy this year. Conroe's main lake temp 3 days ago-64/65. Today 69 and rising fast. Shad should be spawning on the banks here any time now.
Posted By: FMJshooter

Re: Shad spawn - 04/19/14 01:26 PM

All spawns are cancelled this year!

Water is warming fast Belton was good to me yesterday found some 67-68 degree surface temps good black and sand bass bite.
Posted By: bighead

Re: Shad spawn - 04/19/14 01:47 PM

Seems like that month behind stuff we had going on last year is still with us
Posted By: EM-Steve

Re: Shad spawn - 04/19/14 01:57 PM

Mark or someone else can you expand on the "typical" spawn of baitfish? As a fairly new angler I am still trying to figure that out. I understand most is based on the water temps.

Can you break down an avg year in chronological order? Something like below would help me tremendously. Thanks!!

Gizzard Shad--May,June Water temp 70
Shad--?? Water temp 65-70
Bluegill--July? Water temp?
Bream--July?
Posted By: Jarrett Latta

Re: Shad spawn - 04/19/14 02:23 PM

Saw a good shad spawn on Toledo last weekend. Like stated above, I think the fish adapt and the spawns will catch up to normal. But overall its definitely a couple weeks behind.
Posted By: Hard Rain

Re: Shad spawn - 04/19/14 02:30 PM

Certainly seems later this year than last on Grapevine.
Posted By: PTGfish

Re: Shad spawn - 04/19/14 06:20 PM

I saw shad spawning on Waco this morning. Did not see or catch a bass around them though.
Posted By: Kenny MaC

Re: Shad spawn - 04/19/14 06:53 PM

I seem to remember from past experience the shad spawn usually takes place when the bass are in post spawn (under normal conditions). We used to catch lots of bass gourging on pods of spawning shad. Throwing spinnerbaits and having shad bumping up against the blades is a tell tell sign the shad are doing their thing.
Posted By: timwins31

Re: Shad spawn - 04/19/14 07:08 PM

I have 64-68 degrees logged for a year ago this past week on Lewisville for the most part. On Tuesday I was still seeing 55 and 56 degree water in the morning. 57 and 58 on Fork early Thursday, the warmest I ended up seeing was 62.5. Insane for this late in the year. And brutal. We had 1 fish before lunch thursday, caught a few after including an 8-10 off of a bed. No moving bite to speak of. . .all caught on beds or fished reel slow.
Posted By: CCTX

Re: Shad spawn - 04/19/14 08:43 PM

Don't know if they were spawning, but saw plenty of gizzard shad shallow today at White Rock, swimming around in circles in some rocks by a north end boat ramp.
Posted By: Jeezy

Re: Shad spawn - 04/19/14 08:52 PM

I went bow fishing Thursday night and saw a bunch of bluegills and bass on beds.
Posted By: Delvec

Re: Shad spawn - 04/19/14 09:34 PM

I'm sure its got something to do with global warming, call Al Gore for info. banana
Posted By: Jake Shannon(Skeet4Life)

Re: Shad spawn - 04/19/14 10:11 PM

Cedar creek is 68-72 lake always warms quickly in spring guess because it's more stained than other east tx lakes
Posted By: 361V

Re: Shad spawn - 04/19/14 10:15 PM

The Mosquitoes seem to not be behind any! :-(
Posted By: Brech

Re: Shad spawn - 04/20/14 02:18 AM

I called Al, he said fish don't spawn anymore because the use of fossil fuels have caused the planet's average temperature to rise to the boiling point of water. JK Al is a moron!
Posted By: Big Red 12

Re: Shad spawn - 04/20/14 02:26 AM

rolfmao
Posted By: Tennessee_Fisherman

Re: Shad spawn - 04/20/14 01:40 PM

Shad spawn is happening now. Only a few area. This year has been strange I caught bed fish 55 degree water which is first for me. Mark more up in the creeks . They 're their and the sandbass. I had my son with me and we found up shallow yesterday evening.
Posted By: salex

Re: Shad spawn - 04/20/14 02:00 PM

Shad are spawning and thick at Cedar Creek.
Posted By: CUTriton

Re: Shad spawn - 04/20/14 02:32 PM

In a normal year I would transition production from pre-bed-post spawn into the shad spawn but they're overlapping this year all over the South. Really interesting for me to view all of the different sub-species of shad ie...

should've noted I made these for someone in Texas this week.
Posted By: Tiltman

Re: Shad spawn - 04/20/14 02:47 PM

Those will not work Curtis no eyes everyone knows a bait with no eyes is useless since bass will look them in the eye before eating them
Posted By: fishortalk

Re: Shad spawn - 04/24/14 03:12 PM

Originally Posted By: Brech
I called Al, he said fish don't spawn anymore because the use of fossil fuels have caused the planet's average temperature to rise to the boiling point of water. JK Al is a moron!

I am not sure why we are worrying about the earths surface temp rising one degree when according to Al the Earth's Core is Several Million Degrees. It is closer to 9000 degress but with Al Math that is pretty close....haha
http://newsbusters.org/blogs/noel-sheppa...million-degrees
Posted By: fouzman

Re: Shad spawn - 04/24/14 03:18 PM

Mark, there was quite a large shad spawn going on at Fork last weekend. Something to see. Shad, bass, gar and carp all spawning in the same location at the same time.
Posted By: criglizard

Re: Shad spawn - 04/24/14 03:25 PM

Yes, huge shad spawn in certain areas of Fork over the last two weeks. Perch are spawning too. Topwaters...
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum