Texas Fishing Forum

Arbuckle Lake, Ok...Tips??

Posted By: DaleMcCutchen

Arbuckle Lake, Ok...Tips?? - 04/08/14 01:50 PM

I am heading to Arbuckle tomorrow and will be fishing until maybe Saturday. Any tips for this lake?? I have only fished it once, but not this time of year. Im excited and ready to go!!
Posted By: heb-bass

Re: Arbuckle Lake, Ok...Tips?? - 04/08/14 03:47 PM

You'll either zero or be a hero. Tough lake!
Posted By: hopalong

Re: Arbuckle Lake, Ok...Tips?? - 04/08/14 04:14 PM

okay pay attn.

launch from guy sandie, west side of the lake. go straight out to the first point and start there. should be some good smallies on it. right across the cove is a grass bed (very big and shallow) try rippin red trap or white/chart chatterbait over the top. keep fishing that bank and concentrate on the coves there, good spawning area if they are moved up yet.
second is up the river from buckhorn, east side of the lake, go up and fish the south bank, worm/jigncraw/chatterbait/wghtlss fluke in watermelon and red fleck. the cove on the north side has had some really good fish in it this time of yr too, fish the bank back west from this cove as well.

the south bank from the river to the dam can have some big smallies on it, redeye shad in black and white or gizzard, hula grubs, chatterbaits all work too.

out around the exposed rock island on this bank is hit or miss for fish but try it.

north bank at the buckhorn campground has a pretty good stump field, all short and shallow so pay attn to the no wake bouys but fish it. worms and chatterbait.

let us know how it goes.
Posted By: okiebass

Re: Arbuckle Lake, Ok...Tips?? - 04/08/14 04:16 PM

Good luck! Like heb said hero or zero. Some good fish to be caught, but pain in the rear to catch unless you follow some one around that's on fish and gps the places they catch them at. Just sayin.
Posted By: Whitetailfever99

Re: Arbuckle Lake, Ok...Tips?? - 04/08/14 08:57 PM

I would try search baits around deep points. Look for the bait fish and fish however deep they are. Arbuckle is usually clear so use natural colors. I recommend throwing the Umbrella rig some, lots of big fish have been caught on that down there.
Posted By: MikeSouza

Re: Arbuckle Lake, Ok...Tips?? - 04/08/14 09:15 PM

Originally Posted By: heb-bass
You'll either zero or be a hero. Tough lake!

+1

I fish the lake a lot. Last Saturday I was everything but a hero, the lake took my number. Everyone throws an A-rig on the lake, only very few catch them on it. Save you arm and throw a crankbait or finesse gear. A 6" finesse worm on a drop shot or shakeyhead will put fish in the boat.
Posted By: fishnfanatic84

Re: Arbuckle Lake, Ok...Tips?? - 04/09/14 01:18 AM

What mike said...if u find fish bunched up, u might try the rig, but I would definitely stick with finesse.
Posted By: DaleMcCutchen

Re: Arbuckle Lake, Ok...Tips?? - 04/11/14 03:06 AM

WOw fishing is tough here right now. trying everything... Only 1 bass in a Day and a half!
Thanks to everyone for the tips!
Posted By: hopalong

Re: Arbuckle Lake, Ok...Tips?? - 04/11/14 09:39 AM

follow my advice up above?

fished that lake since it opened, it is tough but this time of yr those coves in the center should have some good fish in them.
chatterbait slow rolled if the bite is slow, black/blue with chart trailer or white, white/chart and chart or white trailer.

especially that grass field, fish the edge where it drops from 4' to 20' should be some staging on it now.
Posted By: Donegonefishin

Re: Arbuckle Lake, Ok...Tips?? - 04/11/14 01:34 PM

Originally Posted By: DaleMcCutchen
WOw fishing is tough here right now. trying everything... Only 1 bass in a Day and a half!
Thanks to everyone for the tips!

What were the water temps?
Posted By: Ryno

Re: Arbuckle Lake, Ok...Tips?? - 04/11/14 01:35 PM

very difficult lake to fish, i've been on it many times. not much to show for my efforts
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum