Texas Fishing Forum

ray roberts running..

Posted By: Tyler.Woods

ray roberts running.. - 04/04/14 02:04 AM

We're putting in at the marina and planning on fishing around the Indian/Buck creek area. I've never been so is it safe to stay on pad all the way to Indian? or do you shut down due to timber?
Thanks, Tyler.
Posted By: adam_p

Re: ray roberts running.. - 04/04/14 02:06 AM

Not if you want to keep your lower unit.
Posted By: slim 285

Re: ray roberts running.. - 04/04/14 02:09 AM

Put the hammer down and take a video.
Really when you see timber you better start idilling
Posted By: Bassin2win

Re: ray roberts running.. - 04/04/14 02:09 AM

You're good up until you get to Wolf Island. Past that, I would take your time if this is your first time on the lake. Lots and lots of timber up in Indian and Buck.
Posted By: moto382

Re: ray roberts running.. - 04/04/14 02:28 AM

Me I'm running all the way you being first time follow somebody!!
Posted By: fishmagnet

Re: ray roberts running.. - 04/04/14 02:57 AM

Put the hammer down!
Posted By: chickenman

Re: ray roberts running.. - 04/04/14 03:04 AM

Buck had a stretch where you could run wide open but thats long gone. Idle for sure. Main lake to Wolf is clear.

The open area north of the stumps just west of the RR bridge in Buck gets shallow quick. I found that out on Friday eeks
Posted By: redskeet100

Re: ray roberts running.. - 04/04/14 01:12 PM

You would be better off putting in at Jordan Park if you are going to fish Indian and the Buck creek area. There is also the Buck Creek ramp. That is a long boat ride from the marina. Like others have said, get off plane from Wolf island going north. Just because it looks open, doesn't mean it is.
Posted By: Jumpin J

Re: ray roberts running.. - 04/04/14 02:39 PM

Same as always, the telephone poles mark the mouths of the major creeks, the Corp cleaned up to them, past that, you better know what your doing.
Posted By: Jake Shannon(Skeet4Life)

Re: ray roberts running.. - 04/04/14 04:22 PM

Hahaha you will die if you run on pad past wolf island seriously if u don't know don't try it. If u wanna fish Indian/buck launch and the buck creek ramp if it's still usable
Posted By: txbassman2019

Re: ray roberts running.. - 04/04/14 04:25 PM

Originally Posted By: Jake Shannon(Skeet4Life)
Hahaha you will die if you run on pad past wolf island seriously if u don't know don't try it. If u wanna fish Indian/buck launch and the buck creek ramp if it's still usable

Its easy to run! Just keep your motor trimmed up violin
Posted By: Ranger Z21

Re: ray roberts running.. - 04/04/14 06:19 PM

It's not easy to do and at this lake level and your first time do yourself a favor and put in at buck or Jordan then you better idle unless you have a death wish.

Re: ray roberts running.. - 04/04/14 07:03 PM

Hahaha not easy to do!!! Pffff.... Anyone want to follow to see come on out but for your first time be safe and idle!!
Posted By: DedShort

Re: ray roberts running.. - 04/04/14 07:37 PM

You can run it wide open in an air boat, but that would be risky. There is no way I would run past wolf island. Heck, I start idling when I get near the island. That part of the lake scares me too much.
Posted By: falcontech

Re: ray roberts running.. - 04/05/14 12:12 AM

Can you still use the courtesy dock at Jordan Park?
Posted By: adam_p

Re: ray roberts running.. - 04/05/14 12:43 AM

Originally Posted By: falcontech
Can you still use the courtesy dock at Jordan Park?

Yeah all the ramps are fine. The dredged jordan a few weeks ago
Posted By: dlot08

Re: ray roberts running.. - 04/05/14 03:46 AM

Def want to know the lake if your comma run anywhere
Up toward pilot point. Fish it 4 times a week and I'm
Still careful..
Be safe good luck!!!
Posted By: Rob Lay

Re: ray roberts running.. - 04/05/14 02:10 PM

trust me as someone that never ran past wolf and has been there recently. just because old timers think they can run it based on memories, they can't. every 3-6 inches the lake changes makes what you can run different. A month ago I took the trolling motor from Wolf all the way to bridge back of Indian. It took 4 hours, but at that water level I knew exactly where I could run and couldn't. There were about 5 spots I would have to idle, but could still make that run in under 15 minutes. The water is another 6 inches lower since I did that and unfortunately I might have to troll most of it again to be 100% sure. You need clear water and be on the front trolling motor to see what all is under the surface. it is scary and time consuming, but once you do it then you can be confident and not lucky.
Posted By: Rudy Lackey

Re: ray roberts running.. - 04/05/14 02:23 PM

Yeah all the ramps are fine. The dredged jordan a few weeks ago [/quote]

Re: ray roberts running.. - 04/05/14 02:53 PM

I'll be running the lake today....
Posted By: gonfshn

Re: ray roberts running.. - 04/10/14 02:09 AM

Don't use the far west lane at the Jordan ramp--it needs dredged a little more...not quite enough depth to float a boat. You can still run north of Wolf Island IF you know exactly where you're going. But one mistake and you'll be buying a new lower unit.
Posted By: cd

Re: ray roberts running.. - 04/10/14 12:48 PM

Yep I don't think the insides even got dredged.

Re: ray roberts running.. - 04/10/14 03:51 PM

No problems running wolf, Indian, sand or going from sand to buck creek. It's safe if you no where your going. But if your not familiar with the lake then don't run it unless your following someone
Posted By: furim2

Re: ray roberts running.. - 04/10/14 07:28 PM

The same thing at Jordan as back in the nineties. They dredge the ramp, then stockpile it right next to the ramp. First rain washes it right back down the ramp.
I assume it must be the TPWD; the Corps would never do anything that stupid...like putting the elevation of the spillway feet above the lake level where water goes over US 377 and the Texas & Pacific railroad track.
Posted By: cd

Re: ray roberts running.. - 04/10/14 07:41 PM

Haha those steps at Buck Creek weren't level and held frozen water puddles during winter, had to redo those then there was the black tar.
Posted By: bccougar

Re: ray roberts running.. - 04/16/14 03:57 PM

there was a bolder of some sort at the jordan courtesy dock. a few weeks ago. not sure if it has been moved but i would watch out. If you dont know how to run to indian the I would idle the whole way. There are a lot of stretches you can run, but I dont know anyone runnig the whole way to the back. When in doubt IDLE!
Posted By: Rudy Lackey

Re: ray roberts running.. - 04/16/14 06:23 PM

Originally Posted By: cd
Haha those steps at Buck Creek weren't level and held frozen water puddles during winter, had to redo those then there was the black tar.

Tar all over carpet, that was 0 fun.
Posted By: TIM CLINE

Re: ray roberts running.. - 04/16/14 06:26 PM

Originally Posted By: furim2
The same thing at Jordan as back in the nineties. They dredge the ramp, then stockpile it right next to the ramp. First rain washes it right back down the ramp.
I assume it must be the TPWD; the Corps would never do anything that stupid...like putting the elevation of the spillway feet above the lake level where water goes over US 377 and the Texas & Pacific railroad track.

That sounds like somone on a survey crew had a bust while running their levels and did some fuzzy math to cover it up!!!
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum