Texas Fishing Forum

Slot Lake (Hopefully NEW) Question

Posted By: David Burton

Slot Lake (Hopefully NEW) Question - 04/01/14 02:30 PM

OK, here is one I don't think has been asked before...

On a slot lake, with a one over possession/bag allowance:

Are you legally able to possess an over fish after you have possessed and "Released" a previous over in a Tournament holding tank?

Yes, I am looking at the Ford MegaBass, I just wasn't sure when a fish is legally released in tournaments like that. Similar question regarding bag limits since technically one could weigh 7 fish.

I am sure I won't have to worry about this, but it was something I was just curious about.
Posted By: Matt Jackson

Re: Slot Lake (Hopefully NEW) Question - 04/01/14 02:33 PM

Good question. I don't know the answer but my guess would be once it is out of your possession you could retain another over. The. Again there are daily bag limits to think about. I'm sure someone has a solid answer.
Posted By: JG ZX250

Re: Slot Lake (Hopefully NEW) Question - 04/01/14 02:36 PM

I would assume that since the fish has been handed over to tournament officials, and is no longer in your possession, that you are legal to catch as many fish as you want.
Put it this way. When you go fun fishing, you may catch and release way more fish over your daily bag limit. As long as they are not in your possession, there is no problem.
Posted By: fouzman

Re: Slot Lake (Hopefully NEW) Question - 04/01/14 02:44 PM

Originally Posted By: David Burton

Are you legally able to possess an over fish after you have possessed and "Released" a previous over in a Tournament holding tank?

Yes, I am looking at the Ford MegaBass, I just wasn't sure when a fish is legally released in tournaments like that. Similar question regarding bag limits since technically one could weigh 7 fish.

I am sure I won't have to worry about this, but it was something I was just curious about.

Yes.
Posted By: Jeezy

Re: Slot Lake (Hopefully NEW) Question - 04/01/14 02:46 PM

Whatever fouzman says.
Posted By: Lake Fork Guide Zach Hughes

Re: Slot Lake (Hopefully NEW) Question - 04/01/14 02:48 PM

Yes because you are not in pocession of the previous one!
Posted By: UTDmiller

Re: Slot Lake (Hopefully NEW) Question - 04/01/14 03:32 PM

Originally Posted By: fouzman
Originally Posted By: David Burton

Yes.
+1, so when you catch an over weigh it immediately. Hasnt happened to me, but im sure it would be a bummer to catch an over when you already have one in the well
Posted By: bigcat85

Re: Slot Lake (Hopefully NEW) Question - 04/01/14 03:38 PM

i have asked this question to bass champs and the answer is yes. you just cant retain 2 overs and weigh back to back. catch one then weigh then catch another.
Posted By: Nutman

Re: Slot Lake (Hopefully NEW) Question - 04/01/14 03:44 PM

So when I am fishing in the MEGA and I have caught my over & I cast again and catch another over I have to cull one before I go to the weigh in site ?
Dang, I was hoping to weigh in overs in back to back hours.

Question: to someone that fished and weighed in this tournament last year ---- on "average", what is the wait in line to weigh in a fish ?
Posted By: ChampionDon (SkeeterDon)

Re: Slot Lake (Hopefully NEW) Question - 04/01/14 03:45 PM

Originally Posted By: bigcat85
i have asked this question to bass champs and the answer is yes. you just cant retain 2 overs and weigh back to back. catch one then weigh then catch another.

If I weigh one in one hour and then by chance catch another the next hour, and it is legit, why can't you weigh it? Retain 2 overs I agree, that is illegal. but catch them separately after you have already weighed in one and weight it the next hour I would bet that is legal.

so you weigh one in between 1-2, you head back out and by chance catch another one and weight it in 2-3. You should be allowed to weight the second one as well. However, you will be taking the polygraph for sure, because while the possibility does exist the chance is slim.

Good topic though.

Re: Slot Lake (Hopefully NEW) Question - 04/01/14 03:49 PM

Originally Posted By: SkeeterDon

If I weigh one in one hour and then by chance catch another the next hour, and it is legit, why can't you weigh it? Retain 2 overs I agree, that is illegal. but catch them separately after you have already weighed in one and weight it the next hour I would bet that is legal.

so you weigh one in between 1-2, you head back out and by chance catch another one and weight it in 2-3. You should be allowed to weight the second one as well. However, you will be taking the polygraph for sure, because while the possibility does exist the chance is slim.

Good topic though.

you can my wording was bad. you just cant retain two at once. possion limit is one over. what i ment was cant have 2 overs in livewell.

Re: Slot Lake (Hopefully NEW) Question - 04/01/14 03:52 PM

btw if you were to catch an over i would not just go weigh it in right when the scales open. i would stand in line and wait. the last thing you want is to get bumped when your fish might win the next hour.
Posted By: David Burton

Re: Slot Lake (Hopefully NEW) Question - 04/01/14 04:44 PM

Excellent discussion fellas!!! Thanks a lot!
Posted By: UTDmiller

Re: Slot Lake (Hopefully NEW) Question - 04/01/14 06:11 PM

btw if you were to catch an over i would not just go weigh it in right when the scales open. i would stand in line and wait. the last thing you want is to get bumped when your fish might win the next hour.

Yes, play the game. But i would go directly to the weigh in area after catching an over and figure out what the weights are for that hour
Posted By: Hanley

Re: Slot Lake (Hopefully NEW) Question - 04/01/14 07:20 PM

TPWD site states that only 1 bass 24" or greater may be retained each day. With it being stated as each day, I could see it possible to find one in violation until you are sure the first retained fish is returned to the actual lake. They may make an exception with the holding tanks being there to limit mortality due to stress on these trophy fish, but I would be a lot more comfortable to have a law official make a statement in regards to the particular tournament.
Posted By: Ken A.

Re: Slot Lake (Hopefully NEW) Question - 04/01/14 09:31 PM

Originally Posted By: Nutman
So when I am fishing in the MEGA and I have caught my over & I cast again and catch another over I have to cull one before I go to the weigh in site ?
Dang, I was hoping to weigh in overs in back to back hours.

Question: to someone that fished and weighed in this tournament last year ---- on "average", what is the wait in line to weigh in a fish ?

Yes you would have to cull one. You cannot retain more than one at a time.

If you weigh a fish that wins the hour you will also have to take a polygraph immediately after the hour closes. That takes a bit too. Then they will want to interview you for BC TV show. When I won in 2012 I was off the water for about two hours total.
Posted By: buggsboy

Re: Slot Lake (Hopefully NEW) Question - 04/01/14 11:30 PM

There is usually a game warden or two on site at the larger tournament weigh-ins. I would ask them for clarification on this just to make sure. I would hate to have to forfeit the first prize, plus the second prize, plus pay a fine if I got it wrong.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum