Texas Fishing Forum

One of the most overlooked technique for bass.

Posted By: BUBBAJ 115

One of the most overlooked technique for bass. - 03/15/14 11:48 PM

Been bass fishing on Joe Pool past couple of weeks with mixed results. Was catching a few but nothing over 3lbs. Decided today to put a whoopin on the crappie. Well I did catch one crappie but all the rest were bass. So the technique would be light rod, light line and some crappie jigs. Great technique for this time of year for bass. Pic is my buddy with the biggest of the day.
Posted By: Lee in Texas

Re: One of the most overlooked technique for bass. - 03/15/14 11:51 PM

thumb Nicely done!
Posted By: bassanator

Re: One of the most overlooked technique for bass. - 03/15/14 11:52 PM

Thanks for the info thumb
Posted By: Bugzout10

Re: One of the most overlooked technique for bass. - 03/16/14 01:25 AM

After this winter I've become a fan of light tackle using a spinning rod with hair jigs and finesses worms
Posted By: ogles824 (aka Lakewaydr50)

Re: One of the most overlooked technique for bass. - 03/16/14 02:10 AM

I bought a 500 piece crappie jig kit from BPS several years ago; don't think they even sell such a kit anymore, just for that reason. I used the bigger jigs on Fork in a vertical presentation with 8 pound test line on a medium light spinning set up. I didn't exactly tear them up but I could get bit when it was so cold they come to the surface like a piece of drift wood.........
Posted By: Lil joe

Re: One of the most overlooked technique for bass. - 03/16/14 02:59 AM

I caught this spawned out 6-2 today on a cane pole and minner while we were crappie fishin. Also had one about 5, and a couple 4s. Not one crappie!
Posted By: Big Red 12

Re: One of the most overlooked technique for bass. - 03/16/14 03:05 PM

Saw a crappie guy with about a 4# on at Fork on Friday.
Posted By: Bruce Johns

Re: One of the most overlooked technique for bass. - 03/16/14 10:16 PM

Don't tell anyone but an old favorite for picking up 5 keepers when things are tough....especially early in the day....is 1/32 and 1/16 oz dark-colored roadrunners on riprap. I don't think they make them in black anymore so you have to tie them yourself, but it's served me well through the years on many different lakes.
Posted By: senko9S

Re: One of the most overlooked technique for bass. - 03/17/14 12:29 AM

also known as robby rosin it...
Posted By: Marooned

Re: One of the most overlooked technique for bass. - 03/17/14 02:49 AM

I have a friend in NE Texas who caught a 12.1 lb. largemouth on a 1/16 oz.jig while crappie fishing. And wasn't the Texas state record LMB (18.18 I think at Fork) caught on a crappie jig while crappie fishing?
Posted By: Peepaw on Fork

Re: One of the most overlooked technique for bass. - 03/17/14 02:51 AM

A minnow
Posted By: Samuel Ragle

Re: One of the most overlooked technique for bass. - 03/17/14 04:49 AM

That guy on Fork caught a SAL crappie fishing 515 right?
Posted By: TogiakTerror

Re: One of the most overlooked technique for bass. - 03/17/14 12:25 PM

Originally Posted By: bass catcherman
I caught this spawned out 6-2 today on a cane pole and minner while we were crappie fishin. Also had one about 5, and a couple 4s. Not one crappie!
do you have your boat in a neighborhood pond?
Posted By: Lil joe

Re: One of the most overlooked technique for bass. - 03/17/14 03:01 PM

[/quote]do you have your boat in a neighborhood pond? [/quote]

HaHa! No sir, its a secret, very difficult place to get to on a public lake, that few know about! rolfmao
Has been inaccessible for 3 or 4 years because of the low water but can get there now. It used to be all woods around here but now its a subdivision.
Posted By: Ken A.

Re: One of the most overlooked technique for bass. - 03/18/14 12:57 PM

Originally Posted By: Marooned
I have a friend in NE Texas who caught a 12.1 lb. largemouth on a 1/16 oz.jig while crappie fishing. And wasn't the Texas state record LMB (18.18 I think at Fork) caught on a crappie jig while crappie fishing?

There have been several giant bass caught at Fork on a crappie jig using ultralight tackle. The current state record, 18.18 was caught on a minnow while crappie fishing by a man from Sulphur Springs, Barry St. Clair.
Posted By: squirrelhunter09

Re: One of the most overlooked technique for bass. - 03/20/14 08:54 PM

bass catcherman, I think I know where your secret spot is. if it's the lake i'm thinking of my dad and i dragged our boat across it as a kid well before it was a subdivision. glad to know it's still producing!
Posted By: Big C

Re: One of the most overlooked technique for bass. - 03/20/14 10:18 PM

I like small 4" lizards with 1/8th oz or less and Tiny Traps. Works well in cold weather or really hot weather as well.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum