Texas Fishing Forum

What people fail to realize - something I have noticed on the TFF

Posted By: Bass_Bustin_Texan

What people fail to realize - something I have noticed on the TFF - 03/12/14 08:01 PM

Okay, this is merely a statement or some things I have noticed about the forum. (Been around here for over 10 years eeks )

Forum is a great place to learn, spend some "downtime" at work, or look for some drama banana.

BUT when people ask a question (for instance the kid asking about Fork) don't get bent out of shape. Either post a reply or move along.

I have recently gotten back into fly fishing for trout (taking the year off bass tournaments due to baby).

I have realized I know about 1% of the tactics, equipment, ect in fly fishing. I feel dumb as can be. I have found the fly fishing section to very useful in my learning. I have been on You Tube watching Beginner Fly Fishing Tips(which seem silly). I have learned a ton in a month. There have been some very helpful guys in the fly fishing section.

Now personally I would feel silly asking those questions in the bass section. (How to rig a wacky worm) For one I feel like I know "most" everything about bass, equipment, ect. I don't get much "new" information....but someone that doesn't know "bass" would find it very useful posting such questions.

So please realize everyone that uses this forum is not a veteran of the bass tournaments and is possibly here to learn something new.

So enjoy yourself and keep it civil. Life is so much more enjoyable that way! smile

If you know everything pick up a new hobby or fish, you will most likely feel humbled. smile
Posted By: capt grumpy

Re: What people fail to realize - something I have noticed on the TFF - 03/12/14 08:05 PM

Great post
Posted By: Fish Killer

Re: What people fail to realize - something I have noticed on the TFF - 03/12/14 08:06 PM

thumb
Posted By: Lee in Texas

Re: What people fail to realize - something I have noticed on the TFF - 03/12/14 08:06 PM

thumb
Posted By: hookedon

Re: What people fail to realize - something I have noticed on the TFF - 03/12/14 08:09 PM

Well said..... thanks
Posted By: Brian McCarty

Re: What people fail to realize - something I have noticed on the TFF - 03/12/14 08:15 PM

Very good advice..
Posted By: manhunter

Re: What people fail to realize - something I have noticed on the TFF - 03/12/14 08:18 PM

Live, learn, die, forgot it all. Pass the knowledge on so that others can do the same...
Posted By: Okhissa2

Re: What people fail to realize - something I have noticed on the TFF - 03/12/14 08:19 PM

Best post in a While. Thanks
Posted By: Big Red 12

Re: What people fail to realize - something I have noticed on the TFF - 03/12/14 08:20 PM

Well said.
Posted By: Douglas J

Re: What people fail to realize - something I have noticed on the TFF - 03/12/14 08:21 PM

I have started to notice more and more younger anglers posting here also.
When someone is asking a question seeking real advice, it's a compliment that the TFF is a place that one can seek advice and get some good information.

I have learned a lot about fishing and other things here, though I rarely ask many questions, I learn more through reading.

There are several things I have picked up that have indeed made me a better angler.
Posted By: InTheClear

Re: What people fail to realize - something I have noticed on the TFF - 03/12/14 08:22 PM

I agree, alot of pro's on here but you wouldn't see a real pro be condescending towards a 12 year old wanting a fishing report!
Posted By: InTheClear

Re: What people fail to realize - something I have noticed on the TFF - 03/12/14 08:23 PM

Originally Posted By: Okhissa2
Best post in a While. Thanks

+1
Posted By: Lee in Texas

Re: What people fail to realize - something I have noticed on the TFF - 03/12/14 08:24 PM

Originally Posted By: Doug R.
I have started to notice more and more younger anglers posting here also.
When someone is asking a question seeking real advice, it's a compliment that the TFF is a place that one can seek advice and get some good information.

I have learned a lot about fishing and other things here, though I rarely ask many questions, I learn more through reading.

There are several things I have picked up that have indeed made me a better angler.

thumb
Posted By: Bass98

Re: What people fail to realize - something I have noticed on the TFF - 03/12/14 08:30 PM

Awesome post!
Posted By: Beast From The East

Re: What people fail to realize - something I have noticed on the TFF - 03/12/14 08:39 PM

Well said!
Posted By: dradkins

Re: What people fail to realize - something I have noticed on the TFF - 03/12/14 08:48 PM

AMEN, Sometimes I don't even post a question bc I don't won't to deal with all the smart [censored] comments you will get
Posted By: Donald Harper

Re: What people fail to realize - something I have noticed on the TFF - 03/12/14 08:48 PM

Excellent.. welcome the young guys and teach them some of the old ways; for they are doing pretty good with the new tech. stuff.

I saw a offer to take a kid fishing today to help get him off the bank. I know that was a much appreciated gesture.
Posted By: GarySHO

clap
Posted By: Bissett

Re: What people fail to realize - something I have noticed on the TFF - 03/12/14 09:00 PM

Good words
Posted By: FlippinMad

Re: What people fail to realize - something I have noticed on the TFF - 03/12/14 09:07 PM

Excellent post BBT!!
Posted By: texasbass1

Re: What people fail to realize - something I have noticed on the TFF - 03/12/14 09:11 PM

Great post. I'm always amazed at how people looking for information about a lake or a technique are talked too. It is surprising they ever come back. But it is easier to be rude and condocending when it is anonymous. Some people forget that they to had to learn from someone. How would they like being treated the way they treat newbies.
Posted By: GRUMPS

Re: What people fail to realize - something I have noticed on the TFF - 03/12/14 09:23 PM

Thank you!
Posted By: RayBob

Re: What people fail to realize - something I have noticed on the TFF - 03/12/14 09:34 PM

I agree BBT. There are a lot of smartalecs and those filled with keyboard bravado here. Save that stuff for the OT.
Posted By: J.P. Greeson

Re: What people fail to realize - something I have noticed on the TFF - 03/12/14 09:36 PM

Excellent post!
Posted By: BassSAT

Re: What people fail to realize - something I have noticed on the TFF - 03/12/14 09:44 PM

Good point...!
Posted By: 521Rangerman

Re: What people fail to realize - something I have noticed on the TFF - 03/12/14 09:45 PM

Great post! thumb
Posted By: TX Basser

Re: What people fail to realize - something I have noticed on the TFF - 03/12/14 09:47 PM

Originally Posted By: dradkins
AMEN, Sometimes I don't even post a question bc I don't won't to deal with all the smart [censored] comments you will get

Amen to that. I feel the same way most of the time.
Posted By: Flyer

Re: What people fail to realize - something I have noticed on the TFF - 03/12/14 09:55 PM

I agree with you.

I'll go a step further and elaborate what I think you're saying.

I hate it when someone posts, 'Use the SEARCH button.' That adds NOTHING to the conversation or topic.

To me that takes the purpose of the board away. At that point, google is as good as you need. Forums are for communication. That search button doesn't talk back or communicate worth a flip.

Just saying ...
Posted By: Bass_Bustin_Texan

Re: What people fail to realize - something I have noticed on the TFF - 03/12/14 09:55 PM

Originally Posted By: TX Basser
Originally Posted By: dradkins

Amen to that. I feel the same way most of the time.

Post away, maybe we can start a "new" trend. smile

Here is one of my "silly" questions in the fly fishing section.

http://texasfishingforum.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/9731384/1/Fly_line_to_leader_knot?

Posted By: CesarG

Re: What people fail to realize - something I have noticed on the TFF - 03/12/14 09:56 PM

great post.
Posted By: HARD WORKN HAROLD

Re: What people fail to realize - something I have noticed on the TFF - 03/12/14 09:58 PM

clap
Posted By: Rockie Martin

Re: What people fail to realize - something I have noticed on the TFF - 03/12/14 10:00 PM

cheers
Posted By: Lil' Louie

Re: What people fail to realize - something I have noticed on the TFF - 03/12/14 10:03 PM

I dont necessarily mind letting a kid know how to search for something on here but dont be a DB about it! Especially to a kid.... But at all is rediculous. Check the ego's and being MR Coolguy at the door and help if you want or don't. If not then STHU. Nobody wants to hear it. This aint HS and nobody cares how cool you think you are....

Carry on...
Posted By: The fish whisperer

Re: What people fail to realize - something I have noticed on the TFF - 03/12/14 10:05 PM

Glad somebody else sees things similarly to the way i do. Well done BBT. I joined TFF to try & learn from anglers who are willing to share their knowledge.
Posted By: Kay Dyson

Re: What people fail to realize - something I have noticed on the TFF - 03/12/14 10:10 PM

Great post B_B_T...you da man cheers flehan
Posted By: Dr JL

Re: What people fail to realize - something I have noticed on the TFF - 03/12/14 10:12 PM

Yup!
Agree good post
Posted By: 2strike

Re: What people fail to realize - something I have noticed on the TFF - 03/12/14 10:20 PM

A really good post. If we don't help the young how to fish we will wake up in a couple of years and lose fishing. Once again a really good post.
Posted By: feedman

Re: What people fail to realize - something I have noticed on the TFF - 03/12/14 10:20 PM

Great Post BBT. Most of us don't get to fish everyday, every week, or even once a month. A little help from our friends on here goes a long way to our enjoyment the next time on the lake. We are not looking to rob someones honey hole, but just some good info on what the fish tend to be doing. But when you know you are going to get hammered for asking a question or telling someone you did good on a lake, it takes the fun out of this forum. I read the forum quite a bit, but you can tell by how much I post I am a little apprehensive about asking questions. Hope this post sinks in and helps the forum.
Posted By: AgSellers04

Re: What people fail to realize - something I have noticed on the TFF - 03/12/14 10:33 PM

Good observation but I don't believe anyone is failing to realize anything. They just can't resist the urge to be smarta**es. Especially when the person (9 times out of 10 a complete stranger) isn't sitting right beside them to gut punch them when they smart off. Much easier to pull keystroke punches. Kind of like that kid in school that likes to run his mouth but then cries like a baby and runs away when you sock him one.

Thanks for bringing this out in the open. We don't do that enough around the forum.
Posted By: roblo101

Re: What people fail to realize - something I have noticed on the TFF - 03/12/14 11:02 PM

Bravo!!
Glad to see this is being discussed.
People like myself, really enjoy reading HONEST answers an opinions from
fellow anglers.
Keep up the good work guys, y'all help more people than you realize, young an old!
Posted By: Skeeter443

Re: What people fail to realize - something I have noticed on the TFF - 03/12/14 11:14 PM

I agree and this post needs to go into the TFF Hall Of Fame posts!!
Posted By: Joe D

Re: What people fail to realize - something I have noticed on the TFF - 03/12/14 11:18 PM

If you can locate an Orvis dealer they hold beginners flyfishing seminars.
Posted By: Gilbert M.

Re: What people fail to realize - something I have noticed on the TFF - 03/12/14 11:28 PM

Exactly!

rockon
Posted By: HappyFisherman

Re: What people fail to realize - something I have noticed on the TFF - 03/12/14 11:33 PM

Good post... When we stop learning, we Stop, the end, its all over, etc. I wonder if there is Bass in Heaven?
smile
Posted By: ColoradoTransplant

Re: What people fail to realize - something I have noticed on the TFF - 03/12/14 11:41 PM

Bass_Bustin_Texan -- of course you are absolutely right, but I have one thing to add... Next time you see someone acting that way, go view their posts. I do that out of curiosity, and 9 times out of 10, that individual is the type that almost exclusively posts rudely.

I am all for a good zinger here and there, but you gotta keep it light hearted if you are gonna do it. And my personal forum posting montra is "if I don't have anything nice to say, then I am not saying anything at all."

Sometimes people tee it up for ya to rip em on something that 99% of the world would think is stupid, but like you mentioned, there are alot of inexperienced folks that visit here, and acting rudely toward them might even discourage them from participating in the sport of Bass fishing all together.

As much as I love getting out there and even just feeling a fish bite my bait, I never wanna discourage someone from learning to love my hobby!
Posted By: ToadHooker

Re: What people fail to realize - something I have noticed on the TFF - 03/12/14 11:43 PM

Well said.
Posted By: El Skeeter

Re: What people fail to realize - something I have noticed on the TFF - 03/13/14 12:09 AM

Amen, how quickly, We forget we all started off as Zeros.
Posted By: horseplaydvm

Re: What people fail to realize - something I have noticed on the TFF - 03/13/14 12:49 AM

thumb
Posted By: Lil joe

Re: What people fail to realize - something I have noticed on the TFF - 03/13/14 12:55 AM

Originally Posted By: hookedon
Well said..... thanks

Amen to that!!!!! clap
Posted By: Old Man Skeeter

Re: What people fail to realize - something I have noticed on the TFF - 03/13/14 02:04 AM

Great post.
Posted By: Dubber

Re: What people fail to realize - something I have noticed on the TFF - 03/13/14 02:08 AM

great observation and fine thread
Posted By: "Ol Spookin

Re: What people fail to realize - something I have noticed on the TFF - 03/13/14 02:08 AM

Hats off to Mr. BBT, and everyone that has replied to his post. Great observations!!.... To make a long story short. I'm not a novice fisherman, or anywhere close to tournament level.. Back in the late 80's, through the mid 90's, the wife and had a beautiful spot down at Mustang resort, and bass fished every chance we had...She became terminally ill, and one thing lead to another.... To make financial ends meet,.. with the Dr's bills and hospital stays, along with the cost of medications, I gave up our spot,.. sold the trailer!!,.. sold the bass boat!!,.. sold everything, but my sole!!.. She passed in '05... needless to say,.. I not only lost her,.. but lost my sprit as well... After a few years past, I wanted to find a way back to fishing,... Thanks to some great folks on the PFF, out of P'cola Fl... I got into some awesome gulf coast fishing,.. But it wasn't before being the blunt end, of a few smart a$$ comments, for asking questions about fishing in their back yard.. I was just asking general questions, (colors, lures),..But I guess some of them thought I was heading for Grandpaws favorite gps cords.....A couple of years have passed sense I've been down to the coast,.. and I found myself with a bad case of cabin fever this winter,.. so I ask a good friend of mine, that fish's some local tourny stuff,.. and is always going to Lake Fork, if I could catch a ride in the back seat this spring, and maybe do some bass fishing....No hesitation, he said heck yeah!!...so I went on to ask if he knew of any good boats for sale... once again, no hesitation, you need to get on the TFF, and you can find some good boats, and always some good people and good information about fishing around here, there's some really good folks on there.....So I trolled the depths of the TFF throughout the winter, only to find, no matter how great 99% of people on this forum are, at offering there knowledge to a complete stranger,.. regardless of anyone's skill level,... once again there is that 1% DB, that is lacking in testicular fortitude, and feels the need to give their worthless $.02...especially to kids...kids now days,. are only a reflection of ourselves.. if we don't take time to help with our knowledge,.. then what can we expect from them down the road!! .... And yes, I am so out of tune with todays style of bass fishing, ..I also have been skeptical of posting myself and asking questions...not scared,.. but just don't want to hear the nonsense.... So thank you Mr. BBT, and the rest of you!! ..Great bunch of guys in the TFF!! .. God Bless & tight lines!!
Posted By: tiantian

Re: What people fail to realize - something I have noticed on the TFF - 03/13/14 02:11 AM

Well said. thumb
Posted By: Dubber

Re: What people fail to realize - something I have noticed on the TFF - 03/13/14 02:16 AM

Spookin, that was from the heart !! Fine comment in regards to the 2%.
Posted By: Samuel Ragle

Re: What people fail to realize - something I have noticed on the TFF - 03/13/14 02:30 AM

thumb
Posted By: xanadu

Re: What people fail to realize - something I have noticed on the TFF - 03/13/14 03:05 AM

Great post. I saw one a few days ago when someone asked about a brand of medium priced rods and got replies along the lines that if you buy that rod, you know nothing about fishing. Makes you want to say some really loud words that will just get you banned. Lots of that lately saying that if you don't own the most expensive gear on Earth, then you can't fish.
Posted By: Jeff Gilbert

Re: What people fail to realize - something I have noticed on the TFF - 03/13/14 03:28 AM

Originally Posted By: texasbass1
Great post. I'm always amazed at how people looking for information about a lake or a technique are talked too. It is surprising they ever come back. But it is easier to be rude and condocending when it is anonymous. Some people forget that they to had to learn from someone. How would they like being treated the way they treat newbies.

This is why I appreciate posters who put their name on their post and own it, as opposed to hiding behind the screen name and throwing out chicken poop remarks or even worse- taking comments and bolding something out of context and posting it. There are a couple of those out there also who have no sense of pride in helping someone, or are probably just miserable in life in general. The good thing is that guys like JP, Perry, Red Skeeter and others do a great job of keeping most of those children off the playground. It's part of the reason this site is a great info hotline for both new anglers and veterans looking for quick info.
Posted By: SkeeterNucks

Re: What people fail to realize - something I have noticed on the TFF - 03/13/14 03:34 AM

Agree 100%....pretty sure we all love the same thing...
Posted By: bigfishtx

Re: What people fail to realize - something I have noticed on the TFF - 03/13/14 04:08 AM

Right on target BBT!

cheers
Posted By: Hoss Holding

Re: What people fail to realize - something I have noticed on the TFF - 03/13/14 04:35 AM

Heck I say just tell them to take a hike and go and tag a bridge or something, smile What am I saying, even the most novice of fishermen would need there head examined to ask me for advice the way I am fishing right now:)

In all seriousness, I have all ways found it a lot easier to always be polite, kind and respectful to anyone who has a question on something or just in everyday living, life is just way to short to be rude and it usually makes one have a bad day if one chooses to act that way. This was a good post and great responses throughout,
Posted By: MARK PACK

Re: What people fail to realize - something I have noticed on the TFF - 03/13/14 04:37 AM

Great post.
Posted By: Grant bell

Re: What people fail to realize - something I have noticed on the TFF - 03/13/14 05:07 AM

thumb
Posted By: bknightg

Re: What people fail to realize - something I have noticed on the TFF - 03/13/14 05:09 AM

Amen! By the way, it's not just this forum. It's bass fishing in general. I grew up bank/bait fishing, but was only introduced to bass fishing at the age of 18. I found it VERY difficult to glean much information from the old salty sticks. The vast majority of them didn't care to waste time with a dumb kid that didn't know a buzzbait from a helicopter lure. So...I read everything I could get my hands on and learned by trial, error and time on the water. Nowadays I try to always take the chance to help a newcomer or anyone else out if I can. Karma baby...
Posted By: hopalong

Re: What people fail to realize - something I have noticed on the TFF - 03/13/14 07:06 AM

okay skipping over all the pages but read the op.

I always try to help as best I can, if I don't know I either won't say anything or will reference someone or something that I think will help.
I will throw in some humor or a smart arse remark but only in good fun if I feel it works for the situation (see wind on fork thread for instance).
life is too dam short to be worried about "your honey hole" or what lure you used, how you set things up.
the best way to become better at anything is to ask questions and get answers, the fastest way I know to make new friends is to help someone with a problem.

I will never have a problem posting info if asked or if I happen across a thread I can offer something on, it is a personal pay it forward thing for me as a lot of people through the yrs have helped me in a lot of ways.

just my .02 worth.

Re: What people fail to realize - something I have noticed on the TFF - 03/13/14 07:10 AM

Originally Posted By: Spookin
Hats off to Mr. BBT, and everyone that has replied to his post. Great observations!!.... To make a long story short. I'm not a novice fisherman, or anywhere close to tournament level.. Back in the late 80's, through the mid 90's, the wife and had a beautiful spot down at Mustang resort, and bass fished every chance we had...She became terminally ill, and one thing lead to another.... To make financial ends meet,.. with the Dr's bills and hospital stays, along with the cost of medications, I gave up our spot,.. sold the trailer!!,.. sold the bass boat!!,.. sold everything, but my sole!!.. She passed in '05... needless to say,.. I not only lost her,.. but lost my sprit as well... After a few years past, I wanted to find a way back to fishing,... Thanks to some great folks on the PFF, out of P'cola Fl... I got into some awesome gulf coast fishing,.. But it wasn't before being the blunt end, of a few smart a$$ comments, for asking questions about fishing in their back yard.. I was just asking general questions, (colors, lures),..But I guess some of them thought I was heading for Grandpaws favorite gps cords.....A couple of years have passed sense I've been down to the coast,.. and I found myself with a bad case of cabin fever this winter,.. so I ask a good friend of mine, that fish's some local tourny stuff,.. and is always going to Lake Fork, if I could catch a ride in the back seat this spring, and maybe do some bass fishing....No hesitation, he said heck yeah!!...so I went on to ask if he knew of any good boats for sale... once again, no hesitation, you need to get on the TFF, and you can find some good boats, and always some good people and good information about fishing around here, there's some really good folks on there.....So I trolled the depths of the TFF throughout the winter, only to find, no matter how great 99% of people on this forum are, at offering there knowledge to a complete stranger,.. regardless of anyone's skill level,... once again there is that 1% DB, that is lacking in testicular fortitude, and feels the need to give their worthless $.02...especially to kids...kids now days,. are only a reflection of ourselves.. if we don't take time to help with our knowledge,.. then what can we expect from them down the road!! .... And yes, I am so out of tune with todays style of bass fishing, ..I also have been skeptical of posting myself and asking questions...not scared,.. but just don't want to hear the nonsense.... So thank you Mr. BBT, and the rest of you!! ..Great bunch of guys in the TFF!! .. God Bless & tight lines!!

heck any time ya wanna come to fork and fish with an old dude bring it, I live at fishermans cove and got the boat. always got room in back for someone that wants to go if not already claimed.

Re: What people fail to realize - something I have noticed on the TFF - 03/13/14 07:18 AM

let me also post an open invite to the off topic section for those that feel the need to be sarcastic and or a smart arse, we welcome you there (but be aware it is no holds barred and we take no prisoners). snicker
Posted By: Peepaw on Fork

Re: What people fail to realize - something I have noticed on the TFF - 03/13/14 07:21 AM

Mama always said "stupid is as stupid does". Give and you shall receive. I fish tournaments but I still help people if they ask. I guarantee that there isn't anyone on this forum that has fished a hole on Fork that someone else hasn't already fished. There are no secret holes!
Posted By: silverZX225

Re: What people fail to realize - something I have noticed on the TFF - 03/13/14 12:49 PM

If your old like me...
We should really hope the 'young guns' will seek to learn something from us, we have plenty of knowledge to share.

My 27 year old son is fishing like I used too and I have been involved with the HS Trail this past year...THIS STUFF MAKES A 'FISHHEAD' PROUD

EAT, SLEEP, FISH..........
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum