Texas Fishing Forum

10,000 Hours

Posted By: Andrew Taylor

10,000 Hours - 03/08/14 09:56 PM

They say it takes 10,000 hours to become a expert/pro, at anything you do. Do you think you've fished that much?
Posted By: Rob Lay

Re: 10,000 Hours - 03/08/14 10:04 PM

that might be a good number to throw out, but in many fields some reach a top level quicker and some are never capable.
Posted By: HasBen

Re: 10,000 Hours - 03/08/14 10:12 PM

"They" say a lot of things. Most are wrong....like this one.
Posted By: 374 Trigger

Re: 10,000 Hours - 03/08/14 10:18 PM

That figures 200 hour a year for me so I past 10000 long ago but I consider Pro as one who does something as a profession for a living I don't. But I sure have fun doin it
Posted By: Big C

Re: 10,000 Hours - 03/08/14 10:19 PM

Originally Posted By: Rob Lay
that might be a good number to throw out, but in many fields some reach a top level quicker and some are never capable.

This is correct. Originally the term was (pretty much made out of thin air). It was originally from a book called "The Sports Gene" and the "theory" has been widely criticized. ............. The SPorts Gene
Posted By: COHLMEYER

Re: 10,000 Hours - 03/08/14 10:20 PM

Who are "they" these they say lots of ignorant things haha.

I've probably fished more than 10000 hours. I can't barely spell PRO.
Posted By: xanadu

Re: 10,000 Hours - 03/09/14 12:14 AM

"They" must be really smart. "They" once said that it takes 1,000,000 repetitions to be perfect at something but I still trip and fall every now and then when walking.
Posted By: LakeForkLodge

Re: 10,000 Hours - 03/09/14 12:25 AM

Yes and still not an expert.
Posted By: Bruce Johns

Re: 10,000 Hours - 03/09/14 12:57 AM

The whole "pro" fisherman thing brings up an image that is sometimes incorrect. I've known folks, every lake has em, that jackpot local tournaments on the lake they have confidence in, it's their only means of income....fish out of 20-yr-old boats...and clear between 12k and 20k yearly. Many are happy as pigs in, well...happy pigs. Anyway, they are very much "professional" bass fishermen.

Re: 10,000 Hours - 03/09/14 05:03 AM

Originally Posted By: Bruce Johns
The whole "pro" fisherman thing brings up an image that is sometimes incorrect. I've known folks, every lake has em, that jackpot local tournaments on the lake they have confidence in, it's their only means of income....fish out of 20-yr-old boats...and clear between 12k and 20k yearly. Many are happy as pigs in, well...happy pigs. Anyway, they are very much "professional" bass fishermen.

I would bet that there are a few that are on the "real" pro circuits who, without a little luck, aren't far from that figure either.
Posted By: Big Red 12

Re: 10,000 Hours - 03/09/14 06:59 PM

I don't know about being an expert, but I have logged in that many hours at least in my lifetime.
Posted By: eggs'isled

Re: 10,000 Hours - 03/10/14 12:41 AM

its all in your head...king Solomon said it best..."vanity, all is vanity"...
Posted By: timwins31

Re: 10,000 Hours - 03/10/14 03:25 AM

Pro and expert are not the same thing. A pro is just someone who gets paid to do something. Expert implies something beyond professional status.
Posted By: Lee in Texas

Re: 10,000 Hours - 03/10/14 03:39 AM

OMG The numbers ya'll are talking, I don't think I'll still be around.
But, I do enjoy it each and every time....preferably when I catch SOMETHING!
Posted By: superfamous

Re: 10,000 Hours - 03/10/14 04:22 AM

Originally Posted By: Big C

This is correct. Originally the term was (pretty much made out of thin air). It was originally from a book called "The Sports Gene" and the "theory" has been widely criticized. ............. The SPorts Gene

Actually, the 10K hours "rule" wasn't pulled out of thin air, it came from the early 2000s published studies of master violin students by Dr. Anders Ericsson, an FSU psychologist and adopted by many publications since. It's a pretty decent indicator of how long it takes to raise your game to the "expert" level in anything, but as others have mentioned, it's not an exact science (with the endless variables involved in this discussion, no amount of hours could ever cover everything).

He also stated that 10K hours of practice alone wouldn't make anyone an expert, but that it took "deliberate practice" with constant improvements and tweaks to truly master any particular activity. He stressed that 10K hours of practicing terrible technique would only serve to yield terrible results. Learning from mistakes and constantly pushing yourself over time at your activity is more important than any arbitrary amount of hours.
Posted By: barryfish

Re: 10,000 Hours - 03/10/14 06:35 AM

Is this a google number? if so it must be true.
Posted By: bigbass94

Re: 10,000 Hours - 03/10/14 03:46 PM

I don't think I'm quite there yet! Haha.
Posted By: Scott Anderson

Re: 10,000 Hours - 03/10/14 05:39 PM

I have played a lot of hours of golf. However there are young kids that can beat me and they have only been playing a few years.

Re: 10,000 Hours - 03/10/14 10:59 PM

Originally Posted By: superfamous

Actually, the 10K hours "rule" wasn't pulled out of thin air, it came from the early 2000s published studies of master violin students by Dr. Anders Ericsson, an FSU psychologist and adopted by many publications since. It's a pretty decent indicator of how long it takes to raise your game to the "expert" level in anything, but as others have mentioned, it's not an exact science (with the endless variables involved in this discussion, no amount of hours could ever cover everything).

He also stated that 10K hours of practice alone wouldn't make anyone an expert, but that it took "deliberate practice" with constant improvements and tweaks to truly master any particular activity. He stressed that 10K hours of practicing terrible technique would only serve to yield terrible results. Learning from mistakes and constantly pushing yourself over time at your activity is more important than any arbitrary amount of hours.

Actually, had you read my link, you would have noted to the very article you cited. I also said it has been widely criticized and it has.

Re: 10,000 Hours - 03/10/14 11:04 PM

Also, in actual sports, the genetic component far surpasses any amount of practice. I could practice (focused and the most thorough practice possible) and I simply do not have the genetics to hit a baseball 450 ft. Roughly only one. In a million do.
Posted By: bo james

Re: 10,000 Hours - 03/11/14 12:09 AM

interesting number, 10,000 hours. i passed that hourly mark long ago. but, some of us remain merely insane, as we keep repeating things over and over expecting different results laugh. i keep going all the time. still love it though crazy or not grin.

bo
Posted By: coachallentca

Re: 10,000 Hours - 03/11/14 12:13 AM

yes I am an expert on how not to catch fish..
Posted By: superfamous

Re: 10,000 Hours - 03/11/14 12:19 AM

Originally Posted By: superfamous

Actually, had you read my link, you would have noted to the very article you cited. I also said it has been widely criticized and it has.

Your link mentions the original study, but your post claimed it was originally from the book and the 10k theory was pulled out of "thin air". It's arguing semantics. Definitely an interesting discussion though - too many variables to dial in with a blanket "number".

I agree with you on genetics taking precedence over practice time in most sports though. Some things you just need to be born with...
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum