Texas Fishing Forum

As a BOATER, what would you prefer from your CO-ANGLER?

Posted By: TallBaldCypress

As a BOATER, what would you prefer from your CO-ANGLER? - 02/26/14 12:43 PM

Would you rather them give you $50 or 1/2 of their winnings, if they finish in the money? You can't have both though and the offer would be made the night before.
Posted By: Rob Lay

Re: As a BOATER, what would you prefer from your CO-ANGLER? - 02/26/14 12:54 PM

Originally Posted By: B. Dill
Would you rather them give you $50 or 1/2 of their winnings, if they finish in the money? You can't have both though and the offer would be made the night before.

As a Coangler EVERY pro will say $50 because they can still front-end them. laugh The only ones that say half are rookies or some of the older guys I see that aren't chasing a rainbow, they are there for fun and unless they are in top 30-40 they usually dump their fish back and give the Co all the water last couple hours. shocked
Posted By: Donald Harper

Re: As a BOATER, what would you prefer from your CO-ANGLER? - 02/26/14 12:59 PM

I guess it depends on the level you are fishing. Even in the individual tournaments I have always wanted my co-angler to feel it is a team effort for us to place first and second. They have alway got half of my winnings and I got half of his.
Posted By: forkduc

Re: As a BOATER, what would you prefer from your CO-ANGLER? - 02/26/14 08:29 PM

In our bass club the co angler is required to pay $40 towards expenses, and we split the winnings.
Posted By: JJ4MEL

Re: As a BOATER, what would you prefer from your CO-ANGLER? - 02/26/14 08:44 PM

When I was younger I fished tourneys I gave $$ towards expenses up front and winnings were split 60/40. More to the boat owner due to other expenses like boat insurance and maintenance.
Posted By: Jay Kendrick

Re: As a BOATER, what would you prefer from your CO-ANGLER? - 02/26/14 08:44 PM

Are you talking about a draw style tournament, such as BFL and weekend series?
I would never expect my Co to split his winnings with me, and I highly doubt any Co would expect his boater to split his winings with them.
I don't expect much for gas and expenses in these style of tournaments. $20-30 is plenty most of the time.
In team style tournaments, I split everything 50/50 with my partner.

Re: As a BOATER, what would you prefer from your CO-ANGLER? - 02/26/14 08:49 PM

Originally Posted By: JayKendrick
I would never expect my Co to split his winnings with me, and I highly doubt any Co would expect his boater to split his winings with them.
I don't expect much for gas and expenses in these style of tournaments. $20-30 is plenty most of the time.

Yes. Draw like BFL.
Posted By: 374 Trigger

Re: As a BOATER, what would you prefer from your CO-ANGLER? - 02/26/14 08:56 PM

Here's a monkey in the wrench, fished international team tourny in Mexico my partner and I always spilt everything winnings and expense.after we got down there they split us up,each had to fish with a Mexican and none of us could understand what the other was sayin.we had pulled my boat down so I was able to go where I wanted but dale was at the mercy of his Mexican partner. Anyway I placed 4th got pretty good check but split with my Mexican coangler then split the other half with Dale and he didn't get in the money.sure didn't end up with much
Posted By: LipRippinLanders -BryanLanders

Re: As a BOATER, what would you prefer from your CO-ANGLER? - 02/26/14 09:07 PM

I fished as a co-angler in BFL last year mainly because I didn't know Toledo Bend and it would not have been fair for a guy to draw me there with me not knowing the lake.

I always gave $40-$50 to my boater and I usually did it before we left the ramp because I wanted him to know I wasn't going to stiff him.

I am fishing the Weekend Series on Rayburn on March 8th as a boater and I would never dream of asking the co-angler to split his winnings with me. If he catches a nice sack from the back of the boat he deserves 100% of what he wins.

I won't try to prevent him from catching fish so he will have access to the same water I'm fishing and if he outfishes the other co-anglers who were fishing in the same scenario he was, then he gets to keep his prize money.

I do hope my co-angler helps with the gas/oil expenses, however. I don't expect them to pay for half of my expenses during my prefishing day(s), but half of the tournament day's expenses I believe is justifiable.
Posted By: COHLMEYER

Re: As a BOATER, what would you prefer from your CO-ANGLER? - 02/26/14 09:19 PM

Half of their winnings is obsurd... Unless they win 100 bucks.
Posted By: Steve187 (A.K.A. GETFISHED )

Re: As a BOATER, what would you prefer from your CO-ANGLER? - 02/26/14 09:22 PM

If I'm team fishing we split winnings 50/50. If it's my boat I let my co angler decide how he wants to do expenses. I'm using my boat usually and I'm not gonna sweat or pressure anyone for a few bucks. The 30-50 they might contribute is fine but I don't look for it. I never take any of the co anglers earnings.
Posted By: Lake Fork Guide Zach Hughes

Re: As a BOATER, what would you prefer from your CO-ANGLER? - 02/26/14 09:31 PM

In a draw deal, I don't expect any amount of money! Just like said above, I'm trying to catch my limit while he is trying to catch his! I'm gonna fish whether he is there or not so I don't even make them pay for gas. Just something you got to bite the bullet on if you are a boater!
Posted By: NitroUSAF

Re: As a BOATER, what would you prefer from your CO-ANGLER? - 02/26/14 09:35 PM

What Jay said! There is a huge difference between a draw and a team tournament.
Posted By: YankHardReelFast

Re: As a BOATER, what would you prefer from your CO-ANGLER? - 02/26/14 09:38 PM

Before yall go crazy on the OP, he is fishing the BFL this weekend as a coangler. He was just asking what was kosher as far as giving his boater. I think a lot of yall are assuming he's a boater and was going to put the heat on his coangler for 50%. LOL
Posted By: Gilbert M.

Re: As a BOATER, what would you prefer from your CO-ANGLER? - 02/26/14 10:06 PM

I fish the BFL and a couple buck for gas is good enough, I don't expect them to front the bill. I'm fishing regardless. I've never hear of splitting winnings in draw tournaments, team events are different.
Posted By: Fish Killer

Re: As a BOATER, what would you prefer from your CO-ANGLER? - 02/26/14 10:07 PM

Here is a post I made about Boater/Co-angler ethics several years ago.

I think it still holds true on both sides of the equation...

Co-Angler Ethics

Re: As a BOATER, what would you prefer from your CO-ANGLER? - 02/26/14 10:09 PM

Originally Posted By: YankHardReelFast
Before yall go crazy on the OP, he is fishing the BFL this weekend as a coangler. He was just asking what was kosher as far as giving his boater. I think a lot of yall are assuming he's a boater and was going to put the heat on his coangler for 50%. LOL

Exactly.

I guess the question should read like this:

"If you were the boater in a draw format would you rather have $50 from your co angler or 1/2 of what your co-angler wins if he/she earns a check, given the opportunity to choose before launch?"

Posted By: YankHardReelFast

Re: As a BOATER, what would you prefer from your CO-ANGLER? - 02/26/14 10:14 PM

Originally Posted By: B. Dill
Originally Posted By: YankHardReelFast

Exactly.

I guess the question should read like this:

"If you were the boater in a draw format would you rather have $50 from your co angler or 1/2 of what your co-angler wins if he/she earns a check, given the opportunity to choose before launch?"

And my answer to that question would be that I'd rather gamble and take 50% of winnings, BUT I would not ever expect that or ask for it.
Posted By: beeflover

Re: As a BOATER, what would you prefer from your CO-ANGLER? - 02/26/14 10:21 PM

I don't think I care as long as they don't dribble pee on the side of my boat or leave cigarette burns in the carpet on the back deck!
Posted By: Neches

Re: As a BOATER, what would you prefer from your CO-ANGLER? - 02/26/14 11:43 PM

Every year these Co Angler posts pop up. The problem is there seems to be a big number of people that don't know the difference in a Co Angler and a Partner. A Co Angler is somebody a boater draws in a draw tournament like ABA or BFL/FLW or BASS Opens. A partner is the other guy or gal in your boat that is fishing for the same outcome you are in a team tournament. If you are in a team format and calling your partner a co angler you are probably screwed from the get go. Cause your probably trying to out fish him.
Posted By: John Anderson

Re: As a BOATER, what would you prefer from your CO-ANGLER? - 02/26/14 11:48 PM

I would never ask a coangler to split his winnings... If he feels like chipping in for some fuel that's fine.
Posted By: Douglas J

Re: As a BOATER, what would you prefer from your CO-ANGLER? - 02/26/14 11:49 PM

a shot at his old lady if she is hot or "semi" hot

if she is ugly or "East Fork" sized then respect for my boat and $50 for gas will work
Posted By: Matt Jackson

Re: As a BOATER, what would you prefer from your CO-ANGLER? - 02/26/14 11:54 PM

Originally Posted By: Doug R.
a shot with his old lady if she is hot or "semi" hot

Haha, hey Doug want to go fishing?
Posted By: Douglas J

Re: As a BOATER, what would you prefer from your CO-ANGLER? - 02/26/14 11:56 PM

Originally Posted By: Matts1254
Originally Posted By: Doug R.
a shot with his old lady if she is hot or "semi" hot

Haha, hey Doug want to go fishing?

yes in my boat though, lol
Posted By: WAWI

Re: As a BOATER, what would you prefer from your CO-ANGLER? - 02/27/14 12:03 AM

When they have to take a dump off the back of the boat that they actually hit the water and not the back deck. That is what I prefer.
Posted By: beeflover

Re: As a BOATER, what would you prefer from your CO-ANGLER? - 02/27/14 01:35 AM

yeah watt I think thats very reasonable, no poop on the boat, do you hide the coangler toity roll under the extra lifejackets like I do? The bad part of this thread is that some of these people are not just children!
Posted By: WAWI

Re: As a BOATER, what would you prefer from your CO-ANGLER? - 02/27/14 01:50 AM

Originally Posted By: beeflover
yeah watt I think thats very reasonable, no poop on the boat, do you hide the coangler toity roll under the extra lifejackets like I do? The bad part of this thread is that some of these people are not just children!

I provide wipies for my backseaters, nothing but the best. I want them to feel comfortable and fresh.
Posted By: Lee in Texas

Re: As a BOATER, what would you prefer from your CO-ANGLER? - 02/27/14 01:54 AM

Originally Posted By: whatsaweighin
Originally Posted By: beeflover

I provide wipies for my backseaters, nothing but the best. I want them to feel comfortable and fresh.
rolfmao SHORE CALL!!!!
Posted By: DedShort

Re: As a BOATER, what would you prefer from your CO-ANGLER? - 02/27/14 04:47 AM

I have fished both ways, and I always try to pay 40 or 50 for gas when in the back seat. As a boater, I always feel guilty accepting money. I figure I was going to fish whether they were there or not. The guys that I regularly fish team tournaments with also have their own boats, so we have an agreement that it all evens out in the long run.
Posted By: UTDmiller

Re: As a BOATER, what would you prefer from your CO-ANGLER? - 02/27/14 07:23 AM

As a non-boater fishing tournaments i try to have 50-60 with me to give to the boater, but ive been lucky and boaters have said 10-20 is fine when i was willing to give more. Like stated earlier, they are gonna fish whether i am there or not, but i still like to help out any way i can. Especially when the boater does what he can to help you get fish, i see it as a learning experience and try to pick up on what the boater does. Pretty much getting a fishing lesson while the opportunity to be competitive, hard to beat that
Posted By: Big C

Re: As a BOATER, what would you prefer from your CO-ANGLER? - 03/01/14 01:00 AM

Somewhat tangential to the point of the thread but as to being back boated, I saw a video the other day that was made by a guy who was a co with Rick Clunn. Clunn struck out but the co finished in the money. While I'm sure Clunn didn't back boat him, as fast and thorough as he fishes, kinda shows if you fish differently than your boater you can catch fish out of used water.
Posted By: GeneTX

Re: As a BOATER, what would you prefer from your CO-ANGLER? - 03/01/14 04:29 AM

I don't want a thing monetarily. Just stay out of the way and net my fish as good as I net yours.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum