Texas Fishing Forum

LED Navigation lights

Posted By: csbrad58

LED Navigation lights - 02/22/14 12:29 AM

Alright I am about to put some green and red LED lights on my rub rail in the front and was talking to a buddy and he said game wardens have been giving heck about them? Are they illegal? Anybody else had problems?
Posted By: Lee in Texas

Re: LED Navigation lights - 02/22/14 12:34 AM

I am giving thought to do exactly the same thing, so I too will follow the thread.
Thanks for posting.
fish
Posted By: YankHardReelFast

Re: LED Navigation lights - 02/22/14 12:51 AM

I just installed mine Wednesday night. We shall see.

Just FYI - they are super easy to install. The hardest part is cutting the run rail straight and neat. Cut it a tad smaller than the light if you can so you have to wedge it in there. That makes it look better.

Re: LED Navigation lights - 02/22/14 12:53 AM

OK, further question: How did you conceal power wiring? Drill two holes in behind rubrail (one on each side)? First bass boat and really afraid of drilling holes in it anywhere for any reason......LOL chalk it up to 'newbie'
fish
Originally Posted By: YankHardReelFast

Just FYI - they are super easy to install. The hardest part is cutting the run rail straight and neat. Cut it a tad smaller than the light if you can so you have to wedge it in there. That makes it look better.
Posted By: fly_on_a_xpress

Re: LED Navigation lights - 02/22/14 01:07 AM

read here on tff about led navigation lights.

Re: LED Navigation lights - 02/22/14 01:09 AM

Originally Posted By: Lee in Texas
OK, further question: How did you conceal power wiring? Drill two holes in behind rubrail (one on each side)? First bass boat and really afraid of drilling holes in it anywhere for any reason......LOL chalk it up to 'newbie'
fish

You are correct. Drill one hole about the size of a match stick for each light. Do NOT drill it directly behind the light (it won't push in flush if you do). Drill it about an 1/2" from the end of the light. You'll have to pull the rail out to do this but it's not hard.

Re: LED Navigation lights - 02/22/14 01:29 AM

OK, last question:
Who makes or who do ya'll recommend led strip lighting that will fit in a bass boat rub rail EXACTLY. I'm not sure but it looks as if mine is in a 'c' type channel while it may be glued, it looks as if its kinda 'pinched' into the channel.
Lord I hope that makes sense...
fish
fish

You are correct. Drill one hole about the size of a match stick for each light. Do NOT drill it directly behind the light (it won't push in flush if you do). Drill it about an 1/2" from the end of the light. You'll have to pull the rail out to do this but it's not hard.

Re: LED Navigation lights - 02/22/14 01:45 AM

Here is the link to where I bought mine. They only have 15 bulbs in each strip. They are plenty bright.
http://www.bluewaterled.com/catalogdetails.php?id=64
If you have the rail that has to pinch in then it'll work fine. Trust me, I was plenty nervous cutting into it! You don't actually cut the rail into two parts. It's just a notch out of the center of it.

Re: LED Navigation lights - 02/22/14 01:46 AM

lOL, is there a 'link' there???
I know I'm old, and have to wear glasses.....LOL, but forgive me, I CAN'T SEE IT!!!
Here is the link to where I bought mine. They only have 15 bulbs in each strip. They are plenty bright.

If you have the rail that has to pinch in then it'll work fine. Trust me, I was plenty nervous cutting into it! You don't actually cut the rail into two parts. It's just a notch out of the center of it.

Re: LED Navigation lights - 02/22/14 02:01 AM

I edited it. hammer

Re: LED Navigation lights - 02/22/14 02:01 AM

There's a video on YouTube of a guy putting LED strips in his boat and all he did was cut out the size of the strip and drill one hole and used 3m double side tape under the strip to make it even out so it doesn't look funky. He wired it up and used silicon to seal it up.. The strips he used he ordered from somewhere and don't remember the name but you can get the same strips from autozone. Looked really good to!

Re: LED Navigation lights - 02/22/14 02:03 AM

LOL, it happens.
Thanks....looks GOOD!!!
fish
I edited it. hammer

Re: LED Navigation lights - 02/22/14 02:09 AM

Posted By: Fish Killer

Re: LED Navigation lights - 02/22/14 02:13 AM

I mounted mine just below the rub rail and never had an issue
Had them for over a year
Posted By: Mark Perry

Re: LED Navigation lights - 02/22/14 02:17 AM

Lowe's has some true black silicone that is not transparent. Its solid black and will fill in any gaps around the lights very well. Its waterproof as well. Go back with you finger and smooth the silicone and you can make it look factory if you take your time. Very easy install. Measure twice and cut once though.

Re: LED Navigation lights - 02/22/14 02:26 AM

Posted By: Bruce Johns

Re: LED Navigation lights - 02/22/14 02:34 AM

Those look great...much better than the old-school light on-a-steek.
But the bottom line is, are they legal or not?

Re: LED Navigation lights - 02/22/14 02:36 AM

Originally Posted By: Bruce Johns
Those look great...much better than the old-school light on-a-steek.
But the bottom line is, are they legal or not?

If a game warden is gonna write you for the lights then you can probably bet you were gonna get a ticket for something anyway. I wired mine so that my bow light assembly still works just in case someone griped. So far no one has said a word and I have passed by a game warden in them.
Posted By: Alex Finch

Re: LED Navigation lights - 02/22/14 02:51 AM

I agree with Mark on this one. I bought mine from HooDoo Electronics and was told they have a letter from the Coast Guard approving them for use. I saw a picture of Boom Boom's boat with them on it. Considering that he fishes BASS and travels all over the country, I'm guessing they are legal.

Re: LED Navigation lights - 02/22/14 03:04 AM

I've fished a ton of BASS sanctioned event with no problems

Re: LED Navigation lights - 02/22/14 03:31 AM

Well, judging from the pictures I am seeing, they do look great.
It would be hard to argue that the standard pole mounted light system is in any way equal to this very simple LED strip light set that sure seems a LOT brighter.
I don't know in 'lumens' (how light brightness is measured) but, it can in no way be comparable.
LOL, OMG forgive me, the now retired 'Safety Pro' in me coming out...
fish
Posted By: nitroslim

Re: LED Navigation lights - 02/22/14 03:38 AM

I did mine recently. Look pretty cool. I didn't flush them up, wanted a little protection for the lights. From bumping against stuff. My nav pole is still wired just in case
Posted By: BrandoA

Re: LED Navigation lights - 02/22/14 03:42 AM

Check out SuperNovaFishinglights . His lights are the best and he stands behind them.
Posted By: outfishdya

Re: LED Navigation lights - 02/22/14 04:31 AM

Can you see them for 360 degrees? I thought that is the law.?

Re: LED Navigation lights - 02/22/14 04:38 AM

Originally Posted By: outfishdya
Can you see them for 360 degrees? I thought that is the law.?

You can't see the pole type nav lights from 360 degrees as most have a black cover on the backside to keep from blinding you when you run. I can assure you that you can see the LEDS world's better than the traditional type. Mine are mounted almost at the bow tip on either side so when in front or from side it shows up just as my pole light would. Only way BRIGHTER.
Posted By: Walls

Re: LED Navigation lights - 02/22/14 06:23 AM

Pretty awesome to night fish docks with em on as well. Have a buddy who had them in the rub rail on the bow and the stern. Made it very easy to see pitching at night.

Re: LED Navigation lights - 02/22/14 12:16 PM

If I am not mistaken, the law reads that the rear white Navigation light is the only one that is required to be able to be seen from a 360 degree angle.
The front bow Navigation lights red/green are not required to meet that same requirement.
The laws regarding boating are posted on the Texas Parks and Wildlife Department TPWD. Just Google that and TPWD site will lead you on to the regulations.
fish
Posted By: hopalong

Re: LED Navigation lights - 02/22/14 12:47 PM

simple definition of the legallity: all the new boats come with them pre installed, would they do this if it were not approved?

all the coast guard/tpwd says is red/port, green/starboard and an arc of visibility requirement, there is no hard requirement on what light to use.

put mine just above the rub rail (new rub rail with rope insert, too hard to keep from fraying).

Re: LED Navigation lights - 02/22/14 12:59 PM

Looks good Hoppy! LOL, I haven't looked at any new boats.....can't torture myself looking at something I don't want to put that much money in...
The picture you posted, is that your rig Hop?
I want to put some on my rig but, not sure how long of a LED 'strip' ???
6" ??
fish
Originally Posted By: hopalong
simple definition of the legallity: all the new boats come with them pre installed, would they do this if it were not approved?

all the coast guard/tpwd says is red/port, green/starboard and an arc of visibility requirement, there is no hard requirement on what light to use.

put mine just above the rub rail (new rub rail with rope insert, too hard to keep from fraying).

Re: LED Navigation lights - 02/22/14 01:51 PM

6 would work but 8 is better (at least that is what she said) grin

mine are actually 2 on each side, got them at auto zone.

Re: LED Navigation lights - 02/22/14 02:31 PM

Really? Auto Zone. OK, you said 'two'....two inches? rolfmao Help me out here Hopalong..
PLEASE
fish
6 would work but 8 is better (at least that is what she said) grin

mine are actually 2 on each side, got them at auto zone.

Re: LED Navigation lights - 02/22/14 04:25 PM

I bought a set each of red and green that had 2 4" strips in each package, my thinking is if one goes out the other should still work (theory mind you).

they cost 19.00 a set I believe. good quality and made of the same lights as a lot of others use.

Re: LED Navigation lights - 02/22/14 05:31 PM

Thanks Hopalong!!! That sounds pretty reasonable... will check my Auto Zone in Azle..
Good idea about two. Unlikely BUT, sure don't want to get caught if I make the change with a non-working navigation light!! thumb
fish

Re: LED Navigation lights - 02/22/14 09:15 PM

Mine are 12"

Re: LED Navigation lights - 02/22/14 10:24 PM

At autozone they come in a pack of two and there is regular LED lights that are a ft long and there 19.99 or you can get the max LED same length for 29.99 and there pretty dang bright!

Re: LED Navigation lights - 02/22/14 10:53 PM

Originally Posted By: csbrad58
At autozone they come in a pack of two and there is regular LED lights that are a ft long and there 19.99 or you can get the max LED same length for 29.99 and there pretty dang bright!

got a pr of the max on the bow (white) to replace some that got torn up replacing the rubrail, I can see about 50 yds in pitch black on the water with them. great for night fishing

Re: LED Navigation lights - 02/22/14 11:43 PM

Hahaha..... rolfmao don't laugh now. I don't go at night because Hop, I don't think I could see to recover and load the dang boat!!

This getting older stuff is NOT for the feint of heart....I'm holding out for the 'Golden Years' part of this deal to kick in.... rolfmao
fish

got a pr of the max on the bow (white) to replace some that got torn up replacing the rubrail, I can see about 50 yds in pitch black on the water with them. great for night fishing

Re: LED Navigation lights - 02/22/14 11:45 PM

Forgot, my bad AGAIN, boat looks GREAT with the lighting you have added. Like that.
Hahaha..... rolfmao don't laugh now. I don't go at night because Hop, I don't think I could see to recover and load the dang boat!!

This getting older stuff is NOT for the feint of heart....I'm holding out for the 'Golden Years' part of this deal to kick in.... rolfmao
fish

© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum