Texas Fishing Forum

Ray Roberts report?

Posted By: G_Mize93

Ray Roberts report? - 02/18/14 08:17 PM

Anybody been out there and recorded temps? Thinking of hitting the water sometime early this week. Any news on the shad kill and how it's effecting the fish? I went out on Sunday and the warmest I found was 43.
Posted By: bccougar

Re: Ray Roberts report? - 02/18/14 09:18 PM

how far north did you go?

Re: Ray Roberts report? - 02/18/14 09:28 PM

I went in my kayak on Sunday and the farthest north I went was up spring creek
Posted By: fishmagnet

Re: Ray Roberts report? - 02/18/14 10:15 PM

I'm going in April, temps should be in the high 50's by then!
Posted By: Barrett

Re: Ray Roberts report? - 02/18/14 11:42 PM

fishing is on fire. I know a guy that had a sharelunker today but decided not to turn it in.
Posted By: Delvec

Re: Ray Roberts report? - 02/19/14 12:18 AM

Originally Posted By: Barrett
fishing is on fire. I know a guy that had a sharelunker today but decided not to turn it in.

BBB ur nose is growing
Posted By: JAY SHIPE

Re: Ray Roberts report? - 02/19/14 03:51 AM

Went last weekend. Fish are on beds all over the north end. Spawn has started already, must be the moon phase. They were crushing F8 hags tornadoes!

Re: Ray Roberts report? - 02/19/14 03:55 AM

have seen them cruising... nothing locked
Posted By: Justin DuBose

Re: Ray Roberts report? - 02/19/14 04:16 AM

Y'all are all full of carp!
Posted By: WAWI

Re: Ray Roberts report? - 02/19/14 04:21 AM

There is a stretch in buck that has them stacked up. Easy run up there to.
Posted By: Evan O'Brien

Re: Ray Roberts report? - 02/19/14 04:23 AM

My plan is to trade a lead for a Denton seller to Barrett in exchange for up to date Champs info... bolt
Posted By: JAY SHIPE

Re: Ray Roberts report? - 02/19/14 04:40 AM

Originally Posted By: Justin DuBose
Y'all are all full of carp!

Everything you read here is completely true. Get out there before you miss the easy pickens!
Posted By: outfishdya

Re: Ray Roberts report? - 02/19/14 04:48 AM

I here a water main in town busted and filled the lake with 60 degree water last night. Lake is full and spawn is on.

Re: Ray Roberts report? - 02/19/14 05:27 AM

I don't know if you guys are just feeding my some [censored], or if your being serious. bang Lol either way I'm getting anxious to go out there!!! fish banana
Posted By: adam_p

Re: Ray Roberts report? - 02/19/14 05:44 AM

Originally Posted By: outfishdya
I here a water main in town busted and filled the lake with 60 degree water last night. Lake is full and spawn is on.

I still don't have any water pressure.
Posted By: Longeye

Re: Ray Roberts report? - 02/19/14 07:36 AM

Originally Posted By: G_Mize93
I don't know if you guys are just feeding my some [censored], or if your being serious. bang Lol either way I'm getting anxious to go out there!!! fish banana

Do yourself a favor and wait until April.
Posted By: Cstorm_19

Re: Ray Roberts report? - 02/21/14 03:39 PM

What color?
Posted By: scumfrogg

Re: Ray Roberts report? - 02/21/14 03:44 PM

I'm betting record number of zeros for champs
Posted By: Jake Shannon(Skeet4Life)

Re: Ray Roberts report? - 02/21/14 04:55 PM

Originally Posted By: scumfrogg
I'm betting record number of zeros for champs

Lol wouldn't surprise me.
Posted By: Robert Brock JR

Re: Ray Roberts report? - 02/21/14 05:10 PM

Not looking forward to champs next weekend at all.
Posted By: Lil' Louie

Re: Ray Roberts report? - 02/21/14 05:21 PM

nice big cold front on its way to juuuuuuust in time on Saturday! 29 at take off, 44 for the high 10-15 east winds all day... which really means 20-25. Woohoo!
Posted By: Mark Perry

Re: Ray Roberts report? - 02/21/14 06:34 PM

Someone is gonna catch them. I personally am excited for game day to get here. Gonna be fun to get the season started off. Conditions might suck but we are going down swinging no matter what.
Posted By: ez_4_u00

Re: Ray Roberts report? - 02/22/14 02:17 AM

Warmest water found today way 59.7 lots of water 52-55. Fished for three hours had 4 bites landed 3. Not so bad out there.

Re: Ray Roberts report? - 02/22/14 02:41 AM

Originally Posted By: ez_4_u00
Warmest water found today way 59.7 lots of water 52-55. Fished for three hours had 4 bites landed 3. Not so bad out there.

It can't stay tough forever though you found a lot warmer water than I did a couple of days ago. I saw 42-26 in a lot of places and saw 41 as the low and 48 as the high on Wednesday.
Posted By: Tejasbasshunter

Re: Ray Roberts report? - 02/22/14 05:23 AM

Found some 58 degree water today and lots of 49-51 degree water - no bites

Re: Ray Roberts report? - 02/22/14 10:32 AM

If your seeing water in the 50's, go have your temp gauges calibrated. They are reading wrong.

Re: Ray Roberts report? - 02/22/14 10:52 AM

I found 55 two days ago. It's there. All 3 different graphs read the same.
Posted By: cd

Re: Ray Roberts report? - 02/22/14 11:38 AM

Found 53 mid week on 2 graphs and 3 good keepers with lots of black spots, not a lot of fish up but enough.
Posted By: horseplaydvm

Re: Ray Roberts report? - 02/22/14 02:12 PM

There are some natural springs in Ray Bob that provide some warmer water areas in the winter.
Posted By: Rudy Lackey

Re: Ray Roberts report? - 02/22/14 02:27 PM

horseplaydvm,
I fish two natural springs on Roberts 53 degrees most of the time.
I keep them to my self. I don't mind sharing knowledge about the lake.
What bait how deep etc.
Posted By: Rockfisherman

Re: Ray Roberts report? - 02/22/14 04:18 PM

Weather bug long range
forecast is looking a little
better now. Maybe I can enjoy
a nice day on the water while
I zero.
Posted By: Mike Zachary

Re: Ray Roberts report? - 02/22/14 04:29 PM

Originally Posted By: Tejasbasshunter
Found some 58 degree water today and lots of 49-51 degree water - no bites

Sandbagger lol
Posted By: gatoreyes

Re: Ray Roberts report? - 02/22/14 05:05 PM

Can you launch at Buck Creek? I know there would be stumps in the channels.
Posted By: blackskeeter

Re: Ray Roberts report? - 02/23/14 01:49 AM

Fished last two days from daylight to dark and 0 bites. Water up to 57 deg in back of lick and sand. Fish from 30' deep brush piles to backs of creeks and everywhere in between.
Posted By: Rob Lay

Re: Ray Roberts report? - 02/23/14 01:54 AM

Originally Posted By: blackskeeter
Fished last two days from daylight to dark and 0 bites. Water up to 57 deg in back of lick and sand. Fish from 30' deep brush piles to backs of creeks and everywhere in between.

Finally some honesty!
Posted By: Fish Killer

Re: Ray Roberts report? - 02/23/14 02:22 AM

The lake sucked hard for me today
Found 51 degree water but most of the lake was 44-46

Had one "maybe/coulda been" all day
Also the water was pretty chalky looking from all the wind lately
Posted By: outfishdya

Re: Ray Roberts report? - 02/23/14 02:50 AM

Originally Posted By: gatoreyes
Can you launch at Buck Creek? I know there would be stumps in the channels.

Did last week. Did not find any stumps in the channel, I too am sure there is at least one
Posted By: airforcefishin

Re: Ray Roberts report? - 02/23/14 03:23 AM

Lake sucked for me today as well, water was 46-49 zero bites. And the bearing went out on my truck for more added glory to the day

Re: Ray Roberts report? - 02/23/14 04:02 AM

I talked to 8 boats today. Nobody caught a fish. Some of these guys are sticks on ray bob too. The lake honestly looks like it turned over. Water looks nasty everywhere. I have gone the last 18 hours without a bite on ray bob this week.
Posted By: bigfishtx

Re: Ray Roberts report? - 02/23/14 04:28 AM

Originally Posted By: airforcefishin
Lake sucked for me today as well, water was 46-49 zero bites. And the bearing went out on my truck for more added glory to the day

AFF, check your phone.
Posted By: Lake Fork Guide- Greg West

Re: Ray Roberts report? - 02/23/14 04:34 AM

I would be ok if champs never goes back to Roberts ...... In fact I would be ok never fishing that lake again.

Re: Ray Roberts report? - 02/23/14 10:28 AM

I talked to 8 boats today. Nobody caught a fish. Some of these guys are sticks on ray bob too. The lake honestly looks like it turned over. Water looks nasty everywhere. I have gone the last 18 hours without a bite on ray bob this week.

Dude your the only stick on Roberts smile If that water was in the 50's fishing would be a lot better, until that temp moves up it will be tough as a lake can get. If you would take me fishing I could show you how to fish that "Ole Girl" in the winter. thumb
Posted By: B-rader

Re: Ray Roberts report? - 02/23/14 11:54 AM

Im no stick but I have logged some serious hours over the last two weeks . My results are sickening . I agree on the water something happened over night , clear one day dirty the next
Posted By: Jigit

Re: Ray Roberts report? - 02/23/14 04:08 PM

I consider myself a stick on this lake. Have the plaques and tournament checks to prove it. In 20 years of fishing this lake I have never seen it as tough as it is right now. Spent 3 days on the lake this week for 3 fish. Barrett is absolutely right on the water color. Wednesday it was green and pretty water. Come back out Friday and it's brown. I'm sure someone has fond a few and will do good on during Champs but with a week of cold weather on its way I'm not too optimistic.

Re: Ray Roberts report? - 02/23/14 04:30 PM

Delvec,
I heard YOU were the stick on Roberts !

Re: Ray Roberts report? - 02/23/14 04:38 PM

I am about to walk out the door for one more trip out there till Champs. I agree its tough but still holding out that iy will get better and looking forward to next Saturday just the same. I agreed on the water color looking great on wednesday so I am curious to see what it is like now.
Posted By: Happykamper

Re: Ray Roberts report? - 02/23/14 04:42 PM

I quit fishing that lake early, about mid March is when I may start, maybe.
Posted By: Brad Dunn

Re: Ray Roberts report? - 02/23/14 04:43 PM

I was there Wednesday as well and the water looked great. Wonder what caused the change?

Re: Ray Roberts report? - 02/23/14 04:58 PM

Originally Posted By: Jigit
I consider myself a stick on this lake. Have the plaques and tournament checks to prove it. In 20 years of fishing this lake I have never seen it as tough as it is right now. Spent 3 days on the lake this week for 3 fish. Barrett is absolutely right on the water color. Wednesday it was green and pretty water. Come back out Friday and it's brown. I'm sure someone has fond a few and will do good on during Champs but with a week of cold weather on its way I'm not too optimistic.

Looks like two nights it gets pretty chilly but daytime and rest of the time it is gonna be at least decent. The report has changed a few times already but here it is as of 5 minutes ago.

http://www.weather.com/weather/tenday/Sanger+TX+USTX1218:1:US
Posted By: bobcat4118

Re: Ray Roberts report? - 02/23/14 10:39 PM

We fished HARD yesterday for 2 stinking bites! We fished from the backs of creeks to main lake points and rocks to mud! Yes the boat lanes are FULL of stumps and tree tops. I hope everyone uses their heads in champs, because Ray Bob is being really ugly right now...
Posted By: Slade

Re: Ray Roberts report? - 02/24/14 12:23 AM

Does everyone think that since we had such a long cold winter that it has hurt the bass or something? I haven't fished there much and won't be at the bass champs or anything but there is a small semi-private lake that I fish a lot and it's usually pretty good by now. Found water in the mid 50's last weekend, found water almost 60 today but I haven't had a bite. I don't understand. I read through this thread and I'm guessing it has to be that water around here just rarely gets this cold for so long. That even though water is warming up in the shallows those fish are still dug in deep and don't want to move and are very inactive. It may take a month of consistent warm weather to get things back to normal. It's frustrating right now for sure.

Re: Ray Roberts report? - 02/24/14 01:00 AM

Weather is frustrating.
Posted By: David Welcher

Re: Ray Roberts report? - 02/24/14 01:01 AM

This is the coldest winter in 30 years. The lake wasn't even opened up back then, these fish are in hibernation. Deep cold water. Just look on the positive side they'll be spawning when Bass Champs returns this year in June, I promise you that!
Posted By: David Burton

Re: Ray Roberts report? - 02/24/14 01:04 AM

Got one today midway point on a creek bend bouncing a Squarebill off the trees. He was just over 18", healthy, but lethargic. Good tug, but didn't want to go back in the cold water! It did warm up, found some 57-58. Main lake is getting near 50 (47-49).

I am not fishing the Champs event, so you can trust that my report is true. Also, interesting to note, in 60 degree water near the back of a creek and a dry pond dam, am sure I heard bed making going on...

bow_down

Re: Ray Roberts report? - 02/24/14 01:08 AM

Lookin for that one bite... Dream....

Re: Ray Roberts report? - 02/24/14 01:26 AM

Originally Posted By: Slade
Does everyone think that since we had such a long cold winter that it has hurt the bass or something? I haven't fished there much and won't be at the bass champs or anything but there is a small semi-private lake that I fish a lot and it's usually pretty good by now. Found water in the mid 50's last weekend, found water almost 60 today but I haven't had a bite. I don't understand. I read through this thread and I'm guessing it has to be that water around here just rarely gets this cold for so long. That even though water is warming up in the shallows those fish are still dug in deep and don't want to move and are very inactive. It may take a month of consistent warm weather to get things back to normal. It's frustrating right now for sure.

The fish are fine. It has been cold and it is still February. The fishing is nearly always tough out here in February. You just don't get many bites.

Re: Ray Roberts report? - 02/24/14 01:28 AM

Anybody find a go pro lol?
Posted By: WAWI

Re: Ray Roberts report? - 02/24/14 01:34 AM

Whether it be champs or ttt that lake is going to churn out some sacks pretty quick. It can go nuts in a hurry.

Re: Ray Roberts report? - 02/24/14 01:54 AM

As many boats as have been out here I'd bet somebody picked it up if it was still floating.
Posted By: TIM CLINE

Re: Ray Roberts report? - 02/24/14 01:59 AM

Was it in an orange case?
Posted By: Neches

Re: Ray Roberts report? - 02/24/14 02:15 AM

I consider myself a stick on this lake.

That's funny, I have never heard anybody actually say that about them self. Good ole TFF, never know what you are going to read.

Re: Ray Roberts report? - 02/24/14 02:17 AM

Managed one bite today but everyone I talked to was struggling as bad as I was out there. I got on the water late and I think I got bit by pure accident because it dang sure was not reproduceable.......good news is I know a lot more about the lake now than I did a few weeks ago. Found some good looking structure and lots of stuff to hit when it warms up.

Re: Ray Roberts report? - 02/24/14 02:31 AM

Two days on that lake and not a single bite, did find water 52 and wasn't all the way back in creeks so I'm sure they get warmer. I was going to fish champs but with the way prefishing went and this week not getting any warmer I think I'll just save my money lol

Re: Ray Roberts report? - 02/24/14 02:32 AM

Originally Posted By: TIM CLINE

Was it in an orange case?

lol yes and you know that because of FB
Posted By: Bass&More

Re: Ray Roberts report? - 02/24/14 02:43 AM

When Ray Roberts lake hits a solid 55 degrees she will start to come alive. Northwest creeks channels with slow rolled spinnerbaits. Until then it will be a scratch fest peep

Re: Ray Roberts report? - 02/24/14 02:45 AM

Originally Posted By: Bass&More
When Ray Roberts lake hits a solid 55 degrees she will start to come alive. Northwest creeks channels with slow rolled spinnerbaits. Until then it will be a scratch fest peep

I don't think they will eat live bait right now.

Re: Ray Roberts report? - 02/24/14 03:05 AM

Originally Posted By: Mark Perry

I don't think they will eat live bait right now.

bang rolfmao

I heard that
Posted By: Skeeter man ZX225

Re: Ray Roberts report? - 02/24/14 03:30 AM

Wrong! norther creeks are already over 55 degrees, too bad the fish did not agree with that temp. dont matter everyone will be doing the train in Isle Du Bois state park cove throwing square bills and jerk baits where all the action is right now. But there is an artic front moving in on Thursday, boy will this make things interesting.
Posted By: jfdawson

Re: Ray Roberts report? - 02/24/14 03:33 AM

Why all the fuss... Just watch this mornings episode of BassChamps Tv show. McCalmont really tore em up last weekend... :0)

Re: Ray Roberts report? - 02/24/14 03:43 AM

Originally Posted By: charger boat man
Wrong! norther creeks are already over 55 degrees, too bad the fish did not agree with that temp. dont matter everyone will be doing the train in Isle Du Bois state park cove throwing square bills and jerk baits where all the action is right now. But there is an artic front moving in on Thursday, boy will this make things interesting.

It will be cold at night but I don't see the water temps bottoming out. It should fall a few degrees but with the warm days we might see the same temps we saw today. I just don't think its gonna drop the water temps all that much if this forecast is accurate.

http://www.weather.com/weather/tenday/Sanger+TX+USTX1218:1:US
Posted By: Bass&More

Re: Ray Roberts report? - 02/24/14 03:43 AM

When and the lake hits a "solid" 55 degrees folks, still a few weeks out before the NW creeks will turn on bang I have been guiding and fishing the lake since it opened, just trying to help the original poster out geez peep
Posted By: B.Hollingshead

Re: Ray Roberts report? - 02/24/14 01:22 PM

Was out there yesterday caught 4 and lost 4, another friend said he caught 2..
Posted By: Okie Poke

Re: Ray Roberts report? - 02/24/14 05:25 PM

I had close to 16lbs yesterday.........and I don't consider myself a stick out there.
Posted By: B-rader

Re: Ray Roberts report? - 02/24/14 05:59 PM

You wish
Posted By: Spindletop

Re: Ray Roberts report? - 02/24/14 07:31 PM

Saturday went up Elm Creek no bites in the creek!
Posted By: Happykamper

Re: Ray Roberts report? - 02/24/14 08:15 PM

Well somebody has to win the tourney, just as well be one of you guys. wink
Posted By: Lee in Texas

Re: Ray Roberts report? - 02/24/14 08:25 PM

LOL, PLEASE, come over to Eagle Mountain Lake and so some fishing/research!!!
Little to no structure...cold water.....SUPER SHALLOW north end of lake...
It's a tough lake to fish

When and the lake hits a "solid" 55 degrees folks, still a few weeks out before the NW creeks will turn on bang I have been guiding and fishing the lake since it opened, just trying to help the original poster out geez peep
Posted By: Airborne1683

Re: Ray Roberts report? - 02/24/14 10:04 PM

fished all day sunday and had 4 bites on a slow rolling crankbait bumping it off some stumps and then went 30-40 ft water and fished deep ledges with a drop shot and caught one fish 18" but look distressed as hell good luck to everyone fishing this weekend its gonna be a tough tough bite but someone is gonna bring a sack
Posted By: Zman Z9

Re: Ray Roberts report? - 02/24/14 10:10 PM

Fished north of Wolf today. Water still cold on Main Lake, mostly in the 44 to 46 range. Did find some 50+ way back in Indian. I caught 4 fish all day and missed 2. Largest was around 3 lbs. Lake is very low and believe me running to Indian from the Jordan ramp is not safe on pad. I did see someone running on pad, but I wouldn't recommend it. The large tree tops and old telephone poles are solid enough to ruin a good lower unit. I'm not fishing champs so I will tell you everything came on a jig or chatterbait. I didnt mark any bait in back of the creeks, so I fished secondary points in the creeks out to the mouths. I fished mainly 15' and in but nothing shallower than 4'. I fished extremely slllloooooowwww. I hope this helps. To everyone fishing Champs, be safe and good luck.

Re: Ray Roberts report? - 02/26/14 05:55 PM

I had atleast 30 pounds on Sunday. Tree Bass were on fire! get a bait, any bait and throw it into a tree and BAM! Tree Bass will latch on. Not much of a fight and usually you have to go to them but man are they tough. I recommend the bare treble or perhaps an exposed T rig, but if that does not work the Arig is sure to catch a giant.
Posted By: Okie Poke

Re: Ray Roberts report? - 02/27/14 11:57 AM

Originally Posted By: bccougar
I had atleast 30 pounds on Sunday. Tree Bass were on fire! get a bait, any bait and throw it into a tree and BAM! Tree Bass will latch on. Not much of a fight and usually you have to go to them but man are they tough. I recommend the bare treble or perhaps an exposed T rig, but if that does not work the Arig is sure to catch a giant.

grill grill Can you eat tree bass? grill grill

Re: Ray Roberts report? - 02/27/14 03:38 PM

Heck yes you can eat tree bass. you have to soak them real good or they are kinda tough.
Posted By: SkeeterEater

Re: Ray Roberts report? - 02/28/14 04:23 PM

This should be fun!
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum