Texas Fishing Forum

Alabama Rig Line?

Posted By: Bryce612

Alabama Rig Line? - 02/18/14 04:14 AM

What's the best type of line and what pound test?
Posted By: Lake Fork Guide

Re: Alabama Rig Line? - 02/18/14 04:19 AM

65# Powerpro in or around cover

20# Seaguar InvisX in open water
Posted By: Bissett

Re: Alabama Rig Line? - 02/18/14 01:06 PM

I use 25lb big game mono
Posted By: Lee in Texas

Re: Alabama Rig Line? - 02/18/14 01:09 PM

Wow!! That's some heavy stuff. Even for the smaller rigs ?
Line breakage for anything less?
I have never used one but, just purchased two but good Lord....I will have to re-rig a reel with some very heavy line to do what ya'll are recommending...
fish
Posted By: brennansgrandpa

Re: Alabama Rig Line? - 02/18/14 01:52 PM

Heavy line and a rod that can handle the weight or you will not fish it for very long. They can give you quite a work out if the combo is not right for the task. Light line equals lost rigs
Posted By: upside

Re: Alabama Rig Line? - 02/18/14 02:17 PM

Heavy line for heavy rod and bait.
Posted By: mac3

Re: Alabama Rig Line? - 02/18/14 03:22 PM

Heavier the better. They hit a bait thats connected to a WIRE so i wouldnt worry about lite line.
Posted By: Bissett

Re: Alabama Rig Line? - 02/18/14 03:24 PM

The only Arig I throw is the yumbrella flash mob jr. with 1/8 oz heads. Never anything bigger or never anything smaller. 25lb mono seems to do the trick for me. In Missouri I use the one with only 3 wires since you can only have three hooks and 20 would probably work okay for that one
Posted By: J C Outdoors

Re: Alabama Rig Line? - 02/18/14 03:32 PM

65# Power Pro Braid

No reason to go lighter as its a reaction bait and with all the wires and hardware attached to those baits line shyness is not an issue. Hold tight because the strikes are violent. If you hang on a stump you can straighten the hooks if needed.
Posted By: manhunter

Re: Alabama Rig Line? - 02/18/14 03:49 PM

My partner throws it a lot and he uses 20 pound flouro most of the time. I throw it with 17 P-Line CXX and 60 pound Power Pro braid in heavy cover. I think it really comes down to preference in line.
Posted By: Wayne P.

Re: Alabama Rig Line? - 02/18/14 03:55 PM

Paul Elias won the first big time tournament on Guntersville using the Alabama rig that started the craze recommends at least 80# test superline.
Posted By: Lake Fork Guide

Re: Alabama Rig Line? - 02/18/14 04:14 PM

The heavy line is incase you hang up, you can normally straighten a hook to retrieve your $20-30 rig

It's not going to keep you from getting bit as they are eating 3-5 wires

The normal rig you can't cast like say a blade it's more if a lob

A big splash isn't bad either as it simulates bait activity on the surface and draws attention
Posted By: Ryan Somerville

Re: Alabama Rig Line? - 02/18/14 05:08 PM

I throw my rigs on Toray Bawo finesse braid I use the 66lb which gives me lots of play. I also use Power Tackles 7'11 Mag swimbait rod or there old 8'0 swimbait rod
Posted By: SoCal Tom

Re: Alabama Rig Line? - 02/18/14 05:12 PM

I use 65 or 80 pound Power Pro. Good for straightening hooks and not losing an entire rig on a snag.
Posted By: Outdoordude

Re: Alabama Rig Line? - 02/18/14 05:43 PM

Originally Posted By: Lake Fork Guide-Cody Malone
65# Powerpro in or around cover

20# Seaguar InvisX in open water

Ding ding.

I seem to get more bites on fluoro and it's easier to cast. But, that's just my experience.
Posted By: 90 5.0

Re: Alabama Rig Line? - 02/18/14 05:46 PM

You don't need a expensive reel for this big heavy bait either,

I throw mine on an old 5500c with 65lb power pro on an 8' Xh rod.

Re: Alabama Rig Line? - 02/18/14 07:00 PM

Hmmmmmm.......ok, I have an, I guess old now, original Lews BB-1 that I have braid on, but darn, not that heavy. 5' Ugly Stick....guess I'll upgrade the braid to at least 20-25LB....just bought the 'small flash mob' ...with 2" baits, 5 baits I think.
Will try that. Thanks guys
fish
Posted By: SoCal Tom

Re: Alabama Rig Line? - 02/18/14 07:34 PM

I use a 7'6" rod. Bigger is better for casting distance
Posted By: Spike7444

Re: Alabama Rig Line? - 02/18/14 07:50 PM

You need basically a broom stick to throw these things.
Posted By: Bass_Bustin_Texan

Re: Alabama Rig Line? - 02/18/14 07:53 PM

If you use braid watch out the rig will snap the line if you backlash...watch your rig soar new heights! smile

I lost a couple and took the braid off. Went to heavy flouro. I just watch out and try not to lay into a tree. You can shake the rig free "most" of the time by getting over the top of it.
Posted By: Bryce612

Re: Alabama Rig Line? - 02/18/14 11:29 PM

I had that happen with braid once. I didn't backlash but the braid had dug down in the spool and that caused it to come to a dead stop and snap my a-rig right off. That's the only problem I have with braid.

Re: Alabama Rig Line? - 02/18/14 11:44 PM

Originally Posted By: Spike7444
You need basically a broom stick to throw these things.
rolfmao I'd probably do just as well...
Posted By: Todd Ivins

Re: Alabama Rig Line? - 02/19/14 12:24 AM

you have to have a wide spool, that will cut down on the backlash. And if you over umph braid it will make you pay. The longer rod creates more speed at the end and you use lever force, not muscle. That way you don't have to break your back trying to heave 4-5oz of bait all day. Listen to these guys Lee. Also, 50 - 65 lb braid power pro

Re: Alabama Rig Line? - 02/19/14 12:33 AM

Thanks pardner. Hey, I REALLY like your tag line.....never figured that out myself either.... rolfmao
Originally Posted By: JT Jerkbait
you have to have a wide spool, that will cut down on the backlash. And if you over umph braid it will make you pay. The longer rod creates more speed at the end and you use lever force, not muscle. That way you don't have to break your back trying to heave 4-5oz of bait all day. Listen to these guys Lee. Also, 50 - 65 lb braid power pro
Posted By: Todd Ivins

Re: Alabama Rig Line? - 02/19/14 12:59 AM

lol, I need to change that to "most" women.
Posted By: Happykamper

Re: Alabama Rig Line? - 02/19/14 02:34 AM

Last year I was fishing Texoma, had a brand new state of the art A-rig with 7 of the prettiest baits you ever seen, very first cast I backlashed and the braid snapped, the rig went flying about 60 yards out into the lake, I was so pissed off, that was about a 30 dollar lure.
Posted By: David Medler

Re: Alabama Rig Line? - 02/19/14 03:47 AM

I use 65lb Power Pro or 25lb Berkley Trilene fluorocarbon on an 8' Abu Garcia Volatile rod with the Winch.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum