Texas Fishing Forum

Hubbard Creek

Posted By: Steve Mountain

Hubbard Creek - 02/17/14 03:20 PM

Hub City West Texas Anglers has a tournament scheduled in about three weeks at Hubbard Creek.
Has anyone fished there lately or can you even launch a a boat there?

Thanks in advance for any info.
Steve
Posted By: pil,b

Re: Hubbard Creek - 02/17/14 03:52 PM

Call Sandy creek marina at the lake and check, last I heard you can but they will know as they test run their boats. Their # 254 559 2815 & try to talk to Mike the mechanic.
Posted By: snmcc

Re: Hubbard Creek - 02/17/14 03:59 PM

I wanted to go there tomorrow, but I hear there is a rockpile behind the ramp? I do not know if this is true as I have not personal seen it.
Posted By: pil,b

Re: Hubbard Creek - 02/17/14 04:22 PM

snmcc,Mike told me he is using that ramp with the rock behind it and stays to one side of the rock ,this was 2 weeks ago and said it's the best one if your by your self.
Posted By: skeeteroneal

Re: Hubbard Creek - 02/17/14 04:31 PM

The ramp is useable. Stay on the east side and angle it in. The drop off the ramp isn't as bad that way. My dad launched there with his 20' Procraft yesterday with no problem. Going straight in you may hang your trailer coming out.
Posted By: pnewsom

Re: Hubbard Creek - 02/17/14 06:41 PM

My 21 foot would not go in with out falling off ramp
Posted By: 9094

Re: Hubbard Creek - 02/17/14 07:16 PM

Guys I would say you have a 80% chance of damaging your trailer right now. And if you launch off the old ramp and do get in just right watch out for the rock pile about 4" under the water when you back out, it will eat your prop and lower unit up. I am the last guy to say uncle but there is no way I would launch my 520 off either ramp.
Hopefully we get rain soon or they extend the ramps somehow.
The fishing is as tough there as anywhere else right now anyway. Temps in the mid 40's.
Posted By: TimeToWreckEM

Re: Hubbard Creek - 02/17/14 07:52 PM

Pray for rain!
Posted By: Stompy

Re: Hubbard Creek - 02/17/14 08:08 PM

Let me get my dove fields done this week, then it can rain for a month if it wants..By the way, I'm 10 minutes from HC and I ain't using the ramp. Your going to need some luck to hit it just right, and I'm usually not that lucky..
Posted By: snmcc

Re: Hubbard Creek - 02/17/14 08:22 PM

Yep PK for sure tomorrow, do not want to risk 80%.

Re: Hubbard Creek - 02/18/14 01:43 PM

Thanks for the info,,,,,sounds like we better find another lake to fish.
Is there ANY lake producing fish these days????
Posted By: gary purdy

Re: Hubbard Creek - 02/19/14 01:06 PM

Looking pretty grim. West Texas BLT has moved their Hubbard Creek tournament to PK and the other HC they have scheduled for May has its alternate sight as Leon. Running out of lakes.

Re: Hubbard Creek - 02/19/14 01:23 PM

Thanks Gary,
It also sounds like PK is fishing really slow too.....

Re: Hubbard Creek - 02/19/14 02:09 PM

Water is cold everywhere and the fish are pretty dormant.
I talked with the guys at sandy creek yesterday and they are working on a boat ramp solution.
They did put some bags of concrete at the end of the ramp where it dropped off so hopefully it can be used for a while without tearing your trailer up. I' going to try it later this week and ill report back.
Posted By: alumacfish

Re: Hubbard Creek - 02/24/14 07:25 PM

9094, did you get a chance to check out Hubbard Creek last week?

Re: Hubbard Creek - 02/24/14 07:28 PM

Originally Posted By: alumacfish

Just saw your post in the "west Texas lake conditions" forum. You say you are building the ramp extention and they may lay it down this week?
Posted By: redskeeter190

Re: Hubbard Creek - 02/24/14 10:21 PM

Originally Posted By: TimeToWreckEM
Pray for rain!

hurricane...plus cloud seeding......you older guys probably remember when they did that back in the early 80's....flooded Albany......filled Hubbard though.....

Re: Hubbard Creek - 02/24/14 10:28 PM

Originally Posted By: alumacfish

Went Sunday didn't get a bite. Water was still in the high 40s. I used my aluminum boat and launched from the shore. But I saw a couple of big boats on the lake. The guys at sandy creek put several full bags of on cement at the end of the new ramp to help the drop off problem. They said to back down the center of the ramp and you can launch if you are careful.
I don't know how long it will ate the water I strict to get the ramp out, they have to clean out the rocks and debris in water at the ramp before they can push it in. I will talk to them soon nd update.

Re: Hubbard Creek - 04/26/14 03:08 PM

any word on the ramp extension?

Re: Hubbard Creek - 04/26/14 11:07 PM

They have not put it in yet. Instead f cleaning out the out ramp they decided to build a new low water ramp.
Right now it is close to impossible to launch Miles's you have a smaller boat
Posted By: skeeteroneal

Re: Hubbard Creek - 04/27/14 03:03 PM

I believe They gave up on the new ramp. It would be a mess if it rained real hard. They cut out part of the ramp people were hanging up on and dumped rock at the end of the ramp. I launched my 18' Xpress without much problems. Watched a CC launch too without a lot of problems. It's a little rough but it works. Pray for rain!
Posted By: trickworm38

Re: Hubbard Creek - 04/28/14 02:35 PM

My uncle and I launched our 21' boat Saturday morning without any trouble at all. They have piled rocks below the concrete to help out and honestly we had no trouble at all but we are used to launching there.We caught several bass along with some white bass at the dam. Nothing bigger than 3 lbs on the blacks but had a couple of bruisers swim up at our spinner baits and just refused to hit them. I would say we caught around 50 fish. All in all a good morning but the lake is critically low.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum