Texas Fishing Forum

Which Lake?

Posted By: In2Deep

Which Lake? - 02/06/14 08:42 PM

I've been given a choice of spending a week fishing at one of the following lakes in late February or Early March.
I've never been to either. I'd be pulling my boat from Austin, and my non-fishing better half would be with me.

Sam Rayburn or Lake Conroe

Which lake would you recommend, for someone of average bass fishing skills, looking to have a decent chance to catch some fish over the course of a week -- and taking in some new scenery and nature?

Thanks for your ideas. I2D
Posted By: Jake Shannon(Skeet4Life)

Re: Which Lake? - 02/06/14 09:08 PM

Sam for sure pick a section of lake lets say fine fingers to veach basin u can fish allot of creeks and coves with good grass you will be able to focus on fishing 5-10ft deep with traps worms and c-rigs. Also Rayburn has great scenery!
Posted By: JPost

Re: Which Lake? - 02/06/14 09:17 PM

Originally Posted By: Jake Shannon(Skeet4Life)
Sam for sure pick a section of lake lets say fine fingers to veach basin u can fish allot of creeks and coves with good grass you will be able to focus on fishing 5-10ft deep with traps worms and c-rigs. Also Rayburn has great scenery!
+ 1. Also, Rayburn has so many coves and bays you can find somewhere to fish in almost any weather if you tow to the right ramp.
Posted By: bigbass94

Re: Which Lake? - 02/06/14 09:22 PM

Sam Rayburn
Posted By: 374 Trigger

Re: Which Lake? - 02/06/14 09:26 PM

big Sam in March look at CassellsBoykin ramp Popher Creek ,also Caney creek ramp and it's good creek too both these short runs out of march winds
Posted By: TX Basser

Re: Which Lake? - 02/06/14 10:57 PM

If the wife doesn't really like fishing etc she would like Conroe much better. Plenty of shopping and other things to do nearby.
Posted By: Bass98

Re: Which Lake? - 02/07/14 01:34 AM

From what I have heard Rayburn for sure. Cousin fishes it and does really well. Like said above there are a lot of coves so you can find your own water. As far as getting out in nature goes I would guess Rayburn would be more scenic just looking at where it is on a map.
Posted By: Lil joe

Re: Which Lake? - 02/07/14 02:03 AM

Rayburn for sure
Posted By: Gman72

Re: Which Lake? - 02/07/14 02:59 AM

Rayburn for sure if you want to catch fish. Conroe if you want to shop and eat.
Posted By: Bass-N-Buck Master

Re: Which Lake? - 02/07/14 04:09 AM

Rayburn no doubt and they have coves you can hide in if fishing gets kinda slow and have little quality time with your wife if you like woot
Posted By: Douglas J

Re: Which Lake? - 02/07/14 04:14 AM

Originally Posted By: Bass-N-Buck Master
Rayburn no doubt and they have coves you can hide in if fishing gets kinda slow and have little quality time with your wife if you like woot

bada bing bada boom boom thumb
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum