Texas Fishing Forum

When Nothing's Working...

Posted By: fishnbuds

When Nothing's Working... - 01/31/14 04:26 PM

...that should be working, what do you do? I'm on a 3-4 month slump on the lake I fish most often. I usually follow the "in the box" way of thinking based on time of year and water temps. Right now water temps have been in the 56-63 degree range. I've been fishing jigs predominately the last month or so with minor success. Flutter Spoons, jerkbaits, whacky rigs, spinner baits, senkos, flukes, have all seen ample time in the batters box too. Those techniques have pretty much yielded nothing.

So my confidence on what to do this weekend is non existent. My mind is a flutter spoon!! I fished a few hours last night and got skunked for the 3rd trip in a row! Temps at the upper end were 62, and 57 towards the lower end. I've marked fish mostly in the 10'-15' range in the last 10 days. I'm going tomorrow morning. What do you think my first 4 or 5 rigs on deck should be?
Posted By: RedRaider3933

Re: When Nothing's Working... - 01/31/14 04:33 PM

With that water temp Id go shallow with moving baits and try to cover a bunch of water. Trap, squarebill, spinnerbait. Slow down with a jig on isolated pieces of cover. Cover enough water and you'll find something eventually.
Posted By: SkeeterRonnie

Re: When Nothing's Working... - 01/31/14 04:36 PM

jerkbait and A-rig.. or else go crappie fishing.
Posted By: Blowing Up Skirts

Re: When Nothing's Working... - 01/31/14 04:41 PM

Have a slow slow presentation a lot of weather changes have not been good for us and the fish.It is that time of the year get five bites you miss that is it.It will come back to you catching again.
Posted By: Fish Killer

Re: When Nothing's Working... - 01/31/14 04:42 PM

All else fails I go back to the basics....

T-rig 6" purple/white tail
Posted By: Ban-D

Re: When Nothing's Working... - 01/31/14 04:49 PM

if the bites tough and ive tried it all ill set everything down and pick up a t rig with a blue flek power worm and grind it out. burning traps and t rig has been my go to here latley. last weekend we caught fish in 46* water temp in under 2' of water. also if water temps are 57* I would be fishing shallow personlly.
Posted By: fishnbuds

Re: When Nothing's Working... - 01/31/14 04:53 PM

God, I love the TFF! I'd much rather listen to your "voices" as opposed to the ones in my head right now. Thanks guys!!!
Posted By: Texascajun69

Re: When Nothing's Working... - 01/31/14 04:53 PM

With water in the 60+ deg range the bass this time of year will be pushing deep into the coves and up the creeks. Put on a red or orange rattletrap and crank it on the flats next to the creek bends and in the back of the coves. If you don't get any hits on this try a black/chrome or blue/chrome. I would not fish slow. Cover water, until you locate fish. In grassy areas a double willowleaf spinner bait in a blue back herring color or white/chartuese color. I caught bass last weekend on traps with 45 deg water temps in 3ft of water
Posted By: fishmagnet

Re: When Nothing's Working... - 01/31/14 04:58 PM

Chartreuse hand-grenades
Posted By: raveon

Re: When Nothing's Working... - 01/31/14 05:03 PM

My confidence has been shot all winter, winter has not been kind to this newbie. I am waiting for more days in a row of warmer weather. I have tried the jerk baits and rattletraps some with no luck. I think the bass are out of casting distance from the bank at my little pond. I will go today and check out some of my new livingston lures as I am curious how they run out of the box.
Posted By: manhunter

Re: When Nothing's Working... - 01/31/14 05:14 PM

I'd kill to have that water temp right. Spinnerbaits, chatterbaits and squarebills until my arm falls off. Have three different spinnerbaits tied on and get to work...And get shallow...
Posted By: Huckleberry

Re: When Nothing's Working... - 01/31/14 05:21 PM

Originally Posted By: raveon
My confidence has been shot all winter, winter has not been kind to this newbie. I am waiting for more days in a row of warmer weather. I have tried the jerk baits and rattletraps some with no luck. I think the bass are out of casting distance from the bank at my little pond. I will go today and check out some of my new livingston lures as I am curious how they run out of the box.

there right under your feet
Posted By: gonfshn

Re: When Nothing's Working... - 01/31/14 05:27 PM

Don't worry so much about WHAT you're throwing--just pick the bait that you excel at and have the confidence to stay with it. Focus on the presentation details, don't let your mind wander to other spots, other baits, etc. Stay in the moment, stay focused and listen to your instincts.
Posted By: COHLMEYER

Re: When Nothing's Working... - 02/02/14 12:20 AM

It's probably just the boat... Id sell it.

smile
Posted By: Lee in Texas

Re: When Nothing's Working... - 02/02/14 12:27 AM

+1 LOL
Originally Posted By: fishmagnet

Chartreuse hand-grenades
Posted By: Thad Rains

Re: When Nothing's Working... - 02/02/14 01:26 AM

Not really mentioned, but if the fish are finicky, why not try a drop shot or a shakey head? Those are slow presentations that the fish might not have seen in the 10-12' range. When things get tough, that is what I do. I agree with the rat-l-trap and cover water, though, too. If you find fish, a C-rig is also a good thing to try. Hope this helps.

Tight lines, keep safe and good luck.

Thad Rains
Posted By: CypressTXBass

Re: When Nothing's Working... - 02/02/14 02:06 AM

My 2014 is off to a horrible fishing start so I am not even going to try to give any advice, but will say that you are not the only one out there scratching his head. By the end of my recent trips my boat looks like a tackle store exploded. Keep going back thinking it will turn around but so far it is just not happening for me. Hang in there, hopefully warmer weather will bring more fish. I blame it on the darned Florida strain bass.
Posted By: Dr JL

Re: When Nothing's Working... - 02/02/14 02:08 AM

I obviously know all, so here is my sage advice- lol.
Doing the same thing and expecting different results....not good.
Try doing ALL new things- no rig or spot or technique like before- at least if you fail you get a little different perspective. All that other stuff above sounds pretty good as well- good luck man!
Posted By: Dr JL

Re: When Nothing's Working... - 02/02/14 02:10 AM

The weather has been total carp lately as well so hang in there, I can't wait for stable weather patterns!- it is Texas though...
Posted By: CCTX

Re: When Nothing's Working... - 02/02/14 02:54 AM

San Antonio's weather tomorrow looks tough once the northern front hits at 6am. Wind will start coming out of the north with rising air pressure.

If you can be on the water at early before the front hits, things could be good.

With the clouds, wind, and rain My top five would be:

1. Safety first--if there's lightening, hold off until it passes
2. Donald Harper Halloween spinner bait- I don't have his, but a widely available War Eagle spinner bait in the same colors with an orange Colorado blade and gold Willow blade (Walmart has them)

Halloween Spinner Bait review

3. Lipless crank bait
4. A rig
5. Jerkbait
6. Bladed swim jig

I chose all search baits. With the forecast, I'd anticipate bass huddling up together. When you find them, stay there.

Posted By: Jake Shannon(Skeet4Life)

Re: When Nothing's Working... - 02/02/14 03:25 AM

If no luck out deeper head shallow any cover with chatter bait or square bill if that yields nothing small t-rig bait or a shakey head
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum