Texas Fishing Forum

Hip Waders - What to look for?

Posted By: Chuck N. Wind

Hip Waders - What to look for? - 12/26/13 04:04 PM

I'm thinking I'll get some hip waders to make launching my old boat a little easier and safer in the Winter. I figure if i keep doing the balancing act on the trailer, its only a matter of time until that goes horribly wrong.

So, what features should I look for? What makes one hip wader better than another?

The reason I ask is there seems to be a big price range, and a lot look similar to me.

I'd like to get one set that lasts and is comfortable to use.

Thanks for the input.
Posted By: Billy Blazer 300 HPDI

Re: Hip Waders - What to look for? - 12/26/13 04:26 PM

I can't comment on hip waders for loading a boat, but they come in handy using this website at times !!
Posted By: Donald Harper

Re: Hip Waders - What to look for? - 12/26/13 04:29 PM

If that is the only application you will use them for, then just get the cheap ones.

- non insulated; unless you are going to be duck hunting.
- non insulated also for pond fishing just to get off the bank a little distance to make those Spring time cast parallel with the bank.
- get 1/2 size larger for easy on and off unless you are going to be walking long distances.
Posted By: klockness

Re: Hip Waders - What to look for? - 12/26/13 07:09 PM

I would just go cheap if you're only loading your boat. Whatever you can get on and off the easiest since you'll only use it for a few minutes. The only thing about cheap rubber waders is that they will dry rot over a couple of years of bad storage. Hang them up they should last years.

You're normally paying more for comfort or something breathable. Things that won't matter if you aren't wearing them all day in the mud.
Posted By: Chuck N. Wind

Re: Hip Waders - What to look for? - 12/28/13 04:07 AM

Sounds like that covers what I wanted to know. Thanks for the info everyone.
Posted By: ring fry

Re: Hip Waders - What to look for? - 12/28/13 01:55 PM

I carry a pair of shin high rubber slip on boots in the tow vehicle just for that reason. $10.00 Haven't had the need for anything taller. I could see the need if you have a deep v or a low rider.

SE Kansas grass grower
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum