Texas Fishing Forum

Walter E. Long Lake

Posted By: C.J

Walter E. Long Lake - 12/12/13 07:29 AM

Was looking at different lakes to try. Is this lake worth a try?
Posted By: Chris Coufal

Re: Walter E. Long Lake - 12/12/13 02:21 PM

There are some toads in Decker (aka Walter E Long). It's getting right about time for the big girls to start biting out there. I was out there last week for about 3hrs. Had a limit in about an hour anchored with a 6lber. This time of year don't beat the reed banks.......find the off shore grass using your graph.
Posted By: GeorgiaBoy71

Re: Walter E. Long Lake - 12/13/13 07:49 PM

Hello Chris, never fished Decker successfully..Congrats on a great day on your outing last week!!..Question..What were you throwing when you went out? And in what general area? Any insight would help a fellow Bass Angler..Thanks, Dexter.
Posted By: DustyHartOutdoors

Re: Walter E. Long Lake - 12/13/13 10:57 PM

When you put the boat in at Decker (Walter E. Long) take a look 50 to 75 feet to the right (from the water) or left (standing on the dock) and fish what you see happening in the water with a shallow crankbait.
Posted By: Chris Coufal

Re: Walter E. Long Lake - 12/14/13 01:23 AM

This time of year I like to throw a lipless around the grass. I personally have better luck out there with brighter colors and IMO 1-knockers producer better than your standard rattles. Again, that's just my opinion and what I have confidence in out there. I like to throw the Xcalibur 1-knockers.

I also like to throw a lot of t-rigs on the deeper grass lines. Blue-Fleck power worms are always tied on and always produce....no matter the weather, temp or season.
Posted By: Rayzor

Re: Walter E. Long Lake - 12/15/13 01:30 AM

Originally Posted By: Chris Coufal
This time of year I like to throw a lipless around the grass. I personally have better luck out there with brighter colors and IMO 1-knockers producer better than your standard rattles. Again, that's just my opinion and what I have confidence in out there. I like to throw the Xcalibur 1-knockers.

I also like to throw a lot of t-rigs on the deeper grass lines. Blue-Fleck power worms are always tied on and always produce....no matter the weather, temp or season.

I love lipless crank baits in the Winter also. I especially like the Excalibur Xr75. I like the older ones with the multiple ball bearings over the One-Knocker. You can literally hear them coming to the boat while they are in the water. I also like the brighter colors with ox-bow being my favorite.
Posted By: ColoradoTransplant

Re: Walter E. Long Lake - 12/15/13 03:49 AM

Decker is a nice lake... wacky rigs are the ticket over there!

tons of great spots between the ramp and the warm water discharge. Even the lil ones over there are in the 14 inch range from what I have seen (and I got a buddy that has caught some big ones out of there)... definitely worth checking out for yourself, I doubt you will be disappointed.

(one note, the water is down to 51 degrees since the plant isn't running)
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum