Texas Fishing Forum

Where to start at lake austin??

Posted By: Spro86

Where to start at lake austin?? - 12/09/13 01:43 PM

I want to fish Lake Austin This weekend, I have never been there. Where do I put in? Where is the best place to start? What should I throw? Any and all advise is appriciated!
Posted By: josez

Re: Where to start at lake austin?? - 12/09/13 02:40 PM

Talk to andy at ttz. He will give you great tips. Lol
Posted By: crowsie14

Re: Where to start at lake austin?? - 12/09/13 02:41 PM

360 bridge Ramp, $12 launch, then head to the north end. Crank baits, plastics, jigs; with this last front water temps dropped, good luck

Re: Where to start at lake austin?? - 12/09/13 02:58 PM

I hope the bass will have settled into their winter pattern, Slow and sluggish. I going to try the lucky craft cross blade jerk bait, and twitching a wacky and straight senko.
Posted By: riverdogbone

Re: Where to start at lake austin?? - 12/10/13 04:18 AM

Originally Posted By: Spro86
I hope the bass will have settled into their winter pattern, Slow and sluggish. I going to try the lucky craft cross blade jerk bait, and twitching a wacky and straight senko.
good choices!
Posted By: Falcon Native

Re: Where to start at lake austin?? - 12/10/13 05:13 AM

Originally Posted By: riverdogbone
Originally Posted By: Spro86
good choices!

+1
Posted By: awin

Re: Where to start at lake austin?? - 12/10/13 02:28 PM

I haven't fished Austin in the daytime in a long while and most of my fishing is in the evenings during our weeknight tournament hours so this info is pretty generic.

Right now I'd focus on rock and the grass north of Quinlan. There are scattered small rock piles and rock slides along the deeper bluff walls and in some creek mouths. Also, Austin is a fairly shallow fishing lake so any drain, depression or hump has the potential to hold groups of fish, and if you find one fish "off shore" not beating the bank there are usually more in the area this time of year.

Also, what most people don't realize is the single most important factor to catching big fish, and lots of them, is whether or not LCRA is releasing water downstream. Austin is a river lake and even the slightest movement of water triggers the bite to turn on. Baitfish start setting up along current breaks and the fish follow and begin gorging themselves.

Good luck!

Re: Where to start at lake austin?? - 12/10/13 08:33 PM

Thanks for the ideas! Im A complete Newbie to this lake. I have heard that there are lot of docks. Is pitching a Jig advisable?
Posted By: Okie Poke

Re: Where to start at lake austin?? - 12/10/13 09:21 PM

Is the lake hard to run?
Posted By: bigbass94

Re: Where to start at lake austin?? - 12/11/13 03:19 AM

Originally Posted By: Andy N
I haven't fished Austin in the daytime in a long while and most of my fishing is in the evenings during our weeknight tournament hours so this info is pretty generic.

Right now I'd focus on rock and the grass north of Quinlan. There are scattered small rock piles and rock slides along the deeper bluff walls and in some creek mouths. Also, Austin is a fairly shallow fishing lake so any drain, depression or hump has the potential to hold groups of fish, and if you find one fish "off shore" not beating the bank there are usually more in the area this time of year.
Also, what most people don't realize is the single most important factor to catching big fish, and lots of them, is whether or not LCRA is releasing water downstream. Austin is a river lake and even the slightest movement of water triggers the bite to turn on. Baitfish start setting up along current breaks and the fish follow and begin gorging themselves.

Good luck!

Couldn't have said it better myself!
The remaining grass in Austin is big bass haven!
Posted By: crowsie14

Re: Where to start at lake austin?? - 12/11/13 04:06 AM

Originally Posted By: Okie Poke
Is the lake hard to run?

Nope, just watch out for the rocks upstream way upstream, this time of year no jet skis or wakeboard boats so no worries. Although there is usually a crazy one or two slalom skiing.
Posted By: MIssouri_Jay

Re: Where to start at lake austin?? - 12/13/13 04:02 AM

I have fished lake Austin a couple of times. I punched some heavy mats and flipped some docks in a little channel full of really expensive homes.

I had a hard time finding the ramp, though. If you can avoid pulling your boat through Austin rush hour traffic I would avoid it.

Good Luck,
J
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum