Texas Fishing Forum

I know this is Texas but who has fished Florida?...

Posted By: k9gee

I know this is Texas but who has fished Florida?... - 12/05/13 02:21 AM

Just found out today that after Korea I'm going to be in Florida in 2015. Im going to be stationed at Hurlburt Field which is near Pensacola so my question is has anyone fished that part of Florida i know its also close to Alabama, Mississippi, and Louisiana.
Posted By: armadillo joe

Re: I know this is Texas but who has fished Florida?... - 12/05/13 02:25 AM

Only places I have fished in Fla. has been Orange Lake and Lake Griffin but that was a lot of years ago. Did pretty good at Griffin the times I was there.
Posted By: bassbuddy

Re: I know this is Texas but who has fished Florida?... - 12/05/13 02:30 AM

Fished Lake Toho this last spring. It was awesome.
Posted By: HasBen

Re: I know this is Texas but who has fished Florida?... - 12/05/13 02:30 AM

http://www.flafishingforum.com/
Posted By: Bass_Bustin_Texan

Re: I know this is Texas but who has fished Florida?... - 12/05/13 02:35 AM

Good salt water fishing around there. Redfish, trout, and more.
Posted By: Joe D

Re: I know this is Texas but who has fished Florida?... - 12/05/13 02:50 AM

I have fished a lot of middle Florida lakes and streams/rivers. not much in the panhandle region.
Posted By: RCarter

Re: I know this is Texas but who has fished Florida?... - 12/05/13 02:54 AM

Nope only Harris Chain and Okeechobee.......
Posted By: TOMCAT21

Re: I know this is Texas but who has fished Florida?... - 12/05/13 03:26 AM

I used to be stationed at NAS Pensacola and fished club tourneys there. We fished the Tensaw River north of Mobile, the Alabama River, the Perdido River on the border between FL and AL, Apalachicola Bay, Lake Talquin, Lake Jackson and (my favorite) Lake Seminole. There are a lot of very diverse fisheries to choose from. Save your money in Korea and get yourself a boat when you get back and I bet you will have a great time there.
Posted By: Bayou Burner

Re: I know this is Texas but who has fished Florida?... - 12/05/13 03:37 AM

PCB has some killer Cobia/Ling fishing. Catch Red Snapper in the bays. Never fished any Freshwater around there.
Posted By: barryfish

Re: I know this is Texas but who has fished Florida?... - 12/05/13 04:46 AM

Msg etechjoe on here he was born and raised there.
Posted By: skeeter17584

Re: I know this is Texas but who has fished Florida?... - 12/05/13 10:33 AM

I was stationed at Moody AFB GA in the early 90's after returning from overseas. Joined a bass club and got to learn a lot from all the guys. Got to fish most of the lakes Tomcat21 had and then a few more like ST johns river, Eufaula Al, West point and of course Okeechobee. I think u would really enjoy some club events to get your feet wet and go from there. Built some great relationships with those guys and still get to fish with them some. Headed back to Okeechobee again for annual Christmas trip. The guys I fished with the most are all FLW Pros and Co-Anglers on the FLW Trails. Enjoy your Florida PCS and welcome Home! Thanks for your sacrifice while serving!!
Posted By: Troyz

Re: I know this is Texas but who has fished Florida?... - 12/05/13 12:35 PM

Originally Posted By: TOMCAT21
I used to be stationed at NAS Pensacola and fished club tourneys there. We fished the Tensaw River north of Mobile, the Alabama River, the Perdido River on the border between FL and AL, Apalachicola Bay, Lake Talquin, Lake Jackson and (my favorite) Lake Seminole. There are a lot of very diverse fisheries to choose from. Save your money in Korea and get yourself a boat when you get back and I bet you will have a great time there.

Was stationed in Pensacola back in the 80s. Fished all the places TOMCAT21 mentioned plus, Blackwater River in Milton, Lake Shelby at Gulf Shores. Lots of places to choose from that are relatively close to where you will be stationed. Endless saltwater locations to choose from.
Posted By: ssj3goten

Re: I know this is Texas but who has fished Florida?... - 12/05/13 01:18 PM

I lived near the pandhandle but never really fish there expect the blackwater river while canoeing and that is cool little river. I have fish Toho a few years ago
Posted By: CCTX

Re: I know this is Texas but who has fished Florida?... - 12/05/13 02:07 PM

Recently fished the Clearwater/Tampa area. Understanding that saltwater guide prices might be a bit higher, I was shocked at how much higher the average guide price was (more than double). We are fortunate to have such reasonable fishing guide prices here in Texas.
Posted By: Do-Nothin

Re: I know this is Texas but who has fished Florida?... - 12/05/13 02:21 PM

The fish in my sig are both from Talquin in December! I went to FSU and probably spent way too much time on that lake and not enough studying lol!
Posted By: stratoliner92

Re: I know this is Texas but who has fished Florida?... - 12/05/13 02:52 PM

Quote:
Save your money in Korea and get yourself a boat when you get back and I bet you will have a great time there.

Lived in Tallahassee for years and fished out of St.Marks. I ended up meeting people that turned me onto flats fishing and loved the salt.Sold my bass boat and got a bay boat so i could do it all.Tons of water inland also to explore.Around base you'll have offers to fish and figure out what types you like and boat that you want for it.
Posted By: heybaylor

Re: I know this is Texas but who has fished Florida?... - 12/05/13 02:52 PM

Check out the Blackwater river near Milton (about 30 miles N of Pensacola..
Also the tributaries into the bay at Destin..30-40 miles away.
Some great swamp fishing off the "beaten path"
Posted By: k9gee

Re: I know this is Texas but who has fished Florida?... - 12/05/13 04:28 PM

Thanks for all the input guys i was getting worried when i looked on google maps for a second i didnt see to many "lakes" out by there just rivers, and swamps. Seemed like everything was about a 3 hour drive. Guess i better start learning how to salt water fish too.
Posted By: Fishhound.com

Re: I know this is Texas but who has fished Florida?... - 12/05/13 05:51 PM

Same as the rest of these guys unfortunately. I have only fished in southern Florida. Think your best bet around is in water a shade saltier than we are used to.
Posted By: FlyGuy66

Re: I know this is Texas but who has fished Florida?... - 12/05/13 06:04 PM

That should be a good duty station.

There is a massive estuary system that flows down through a bunch of major freshwater swamps from the NE to SW that flows into the Gulf of Mexico. Very famous river system. Between there and Mobile Bay (on the W border) is extremely good beach and flats fishing for Redfish, Sea Trout, Pompano (probably best fishery in the country for them), Flounder, and False Albacore. Prepare to get salty!

The bass fishing is very good in fresh water in that region, and you'll be a stone's throw from Lake Seminole, which is a respectable fishery and has good duck hunting. Tallahassee and Mobile are the nearest "civilization." The Blue Angels are based in the area and train there regularly, providing free "shows" in the skies almost daily.

Kayak fishing is very popular in the Panhandle. Great beaches. Weather isn't tropical hot like south Florida. It's more like the rest of the Deep South. By the way, people in northern Florida have a saying:

What does someone from N Florida say to someone visiting from Miami?

Welcome to the South! It's that much more like GA, AL, MS, LA than it is like the rest of FL.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum