Texas Fishing Forum

H2O Mettle Reel Drag Issue

Posted By: Texasangler14

H2O Mettle Reel Drag Issue - 12/01/13 02:54 AM

Hey guys, i am having a hard time with the drag on these reels. It seems i really have to have it set really tight to not have the spool reverse on me when setting the hook, like more than other reels. Has anyone else noticed this?
Posted By: Fish Killer

Re: H2O Mettle Reel Drag Issue - 12/01/13 03:01 AM

Sounds like the anti reverse bearing is either dirty or bad

If its new take it back
If its been used you may want to pull it and flush it and reinstall
Posted By: Bigron119

Re: H2O Mettle Reel Drag Issue - 12/01/13 03:33 AM

Mettle has an over the counter replacement. Take it back for exchange. Is it a problem with just one reel or all? Or are you using braid and not running it through the holes in the middle when you tie it on?
I just bought 5 more on sale and have not had any problems with allllllll the others I have.
Posted By: Cass Caldwell

Re: H2O Mettle Reel Drag Issue - 12/01/13 03:35 AM

Easy fix...take it back. No questions will be asked.
Posted By: BCJ

Re: H2O Mettle Reel Drag Issue - 12/01/13 03:37 AM

Agreed. Take it back. I have 7 rods with kettles, never had that issue.

Re: H2O Mettle Reel Drag Issue - 12/01/13 05:34 AM

Thanks guys, i think i didnt really convey what my issue is, it just seems that on ALL my mettles, bought at different times. I have 8, just seems i have to really tighten it down and fish rarely take drag because it is so tight. but if i loosen it up i tend to slip. It actually doesnt happen on braid, but on copoly and fluoro. I always use the holes in the spool.
Posted By: fishmagnet

Re: H2O Mettle Reel Drag Issue - 12/01/13 02:53 PM

Are these the $29 Mettles?

Re: H2O Mettle Reel Drag Issue - 12/01/13 06:54 PM

Originally Posted By: fishmagnet
Are these the $29 Mettles?

yes
Posted By: "Old School"

Re: H2O Mettle Reel Drag Issue - 12/01/13 07:08 PM

Like others have said, "take it back, they will replace it , IF it's in stock."

I'm not trying to be rude but what do you really expect from a reel you pay $29 for? It's not going to last for years like Abu's and Shimanos.
Posted By: fishmagnet

Re: H2O Mettle Reel Drag Issue - 12/01/13 09:05 PM

Good point!
A $29 reel probably has $9 worth of parts in it at production.
Then it has to take an expensive boat ride across the big pond before it finally ends up at an Academy store.
I'm sure they are fine reels, just like BIC makes a fine disposable lighter. fish
Posted By: Mark Perry

Re: H2O Mettle Reel Drag Issue - 12/01/13 09:59 PM

Originally Posted By: CrappyBassfishindude

I'm not trying to be rude but what do you really expect from a reel you pay $29 for? It's not going to last for years like Abu's and Shimanos.

Great point. not trying to bash them but its not gonna fish like a more expensive reel nor will it last. it is more than serviceable though and a hell of a value.
Posted By: z7x374

Re: H2O Mettle Reel Drag Issue - 12/01/13 10:07 PM

Originally Posted By: Mark Perry

Great point. not trying to bash them but its not gonna fish like a more expensive reel nor will it last. it is more than serviceable though and a hell of a value.

This. Never had an issue with any of mine.
Posted By: B_Thomas

Re: H2O Mettle Reel Drag Issue - 12/02/13 12:55 AM

Great point. not trying to bash them but its not gonna fish like a more expensive reel nor will it last. it is more than serviceable though and a hell of a value. [/quote]

Yeah. I have four of them. I bought them just to give me a couple extra rods and reels on the deck until I can afford to buy better equipment. I take them apart at least once a year and clean them. I have had some of them for five years with no problems. I do like my lews and curados better, but they are good in my opinion. I have not had the drag problem, but I think a good cleaning should help.
Posted By: YankHardReelFast

Re: H2O Mettle Reel Drag Issue - 12/02/13 01:02 AM

Originally Posted By: Bigron119
Or are you using braid and not running it through the holes in the middle when you tie it on?

Educate me here. If you have a full spool you shouldn't have to run it through the holes, should you? Or does braid not wrap tight enough on the spool to create a "pinch"?

I've always run it thru the holes cuz it's easier but I didn't know that was the right way.
Posted By: TallBaldCypress

Re: H2O Mettle Reel Drag Issue - 12/02/13 01:05 PM

Originally Posted By: fishmagnet
Good point!
A $29 reel probably has $9 worth of parts in it at production.
Then it has to take an expensive boat ride across the big pond before it finally ends up at an Academy store.
I'm sure they are fine reels, just like BIC makes a fine disposable lighter. fish

I agree. But I feel a helluva lot worse when I pay $200 for a name brand reel, made in China, with $9 worth of parts than I do when I pay $29. Maybe those name branders come across the pond in climate controlled containers? laugh

Re: H2O Mettle Reel Drag Issue - 12/02/13 01:13 PM

Originally Posted By: YankHardReelFast
Originally Posted By: Bigron119
Or are you using braid and not running it through the holes in the middle when you tie it on?

Educate me here. If you have a full spool you shouldn't have to run it through the holes, should you? Or does braid not wrap tight enough on the spool to create a "pinch"?

I've always run it thru the holes cuz it's easier but I didn't know that was the right way.

If you don't use a mono backing you should always run the braid through the spool holes. Braid will slip regardless of the amount of braid.

Re: H2O Mettle Reel Drag Issue - 12/02/13 01:17 PM

I have replaced all of my ABU's and Diawa's with them. I have paid $150 for Diawa's and they not lasted 1 year. (I have a Diawa Viento for sale really cheap!) I have ABU's that did not survive lake Falcon but my Mettles are still alive! One of the best values on the market.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum