Texas Fishing Forum

Lake Fork Guide Recommendation….Here is my choice….Sorry for the Long Read

Posted By: madermu

Lake Fork Guide Recommendation….Here is my choice….Sorry for the Long Read - 11/30/13 03:30 AM

It seems like every week there is a post made for a lake fork guide recommendation. There are a lot of replies to that question, but very little information is provided on why a person should select that particular guide. So, I thought I would share my recommendation and day on the water with Jason Hoffman and my 9 year old son.

First off, I'm a simple guy. I break people into two categories, guys that give a dang and guys that don't. Jason Hoffman gives a dang and it showed before, during, and after our trip.

Prior to our trip, I explained to Jason I didn't really care if I fished that much, but was hoping my son could fish and I could learn more about using electronics. First off, Jason was awesome with my son. While my son does well casting on his own, it was freezing and we were throwing big baits and it was obvious that my boy was not comfortable casting on his own. Jason made every single cast for my kid. At one point, he had two rods going at the same time. Jason was all over that boat, whether he was unhooking fish, retying baits, or getting us ready for the next stop. Jason works his tail off to put you on fish and make sure you have a fun trip.

I know everyone wants to know how many fish we caught. We had 7 largemouth and all the white bass you could want. Now I know that you don't go to fork to catch white bass, but I wanted to learn some structure fishing and where we marked bass, the whites were there also. I know that 7 LM doesn't sound like a lot, but it was actually a great day on the water considering I didn't fish much and Jason didn't fish at all. My son also caught his pb of 5.5 lbs on this trip. And, I know we would have caught more fish had Jason fished with us.

I know there may be guides that catch more fish, but I'd be willing to bet there is not another guide on the planet that works as hard as Jason to make sure you have a great time. He had us rolling all day, just a good dude to be around.

At the ramp we used, there were several guides that launched from that ramp. We were there before them and we were the last boat to come in. I know that some of those guys could have been on a half day trip, but I know we were out longer than the typical full day trip. There was no clock watching with Jason, in fact, I had to tell him it was time to go, that was pretty refreshing. Like I said, the dude gives a dang. He wanted my boy to catch a biggun before we left.

As we ended the day, I ended up giving him everything I had in my wallet, lol. I gave him well over the standard guide fee and well over the typical tip amount (if there is one). I gave him everything I had because I felt that he gave me and my son everything he had. I've been on other guide trips, where the guide is watching the clock or talking on the phone, or bad mouthing other guides on the lake. This will not happen on your trip with Jason.

As Jason pulled out of the parking lot, my boy said, "that guy was a beast" lol.

Hey Jason, we really appreciate the effort.

Posted By: kcbass

Re: Lake Fork Guide Recommendation….Here is my choice….Sorry for the Long Read - 11/30/13 03:34 AM

great report always nice to hear good news
Posted By: Mark Perry

Re: Lake Fork Guide Recommendation….Here is my choice….Sorry for the Long Read - 11/30/13 03:43 AM

I bet your sides were hurting from laughing as well.
Posted By: ChanceHuiet

Re: Lake Fork Guide Recommendation….Here is my choice….Sorry for the Long Read - 11/30/13 03:47 AM

Jason is a great guy. That a basscat he running?

Re: Lake Fork Guide Recommendation….Here is my choice….Sorry for the Long Read - 11/30/13 03:50 AM

Jason runs a RangerZ521. He may have fished out of madermu's boat though.
Posted By: Skeeter_1

Re: Lake Fork Guide Recommendation….Here is my choice….Sorry for the Long Read - 11/30/13 03:53 AM

Jason is one of the best and I am glad to call him my friend. He definetly works his tail off. Great guy.
Posted By: bsouth401

Re: Lake Fork Guide Recommendation….Here is my choice….Sorry for the Long Read - 11/30/13 03:59 AM

Jason is a class act, for sure! thumb thumb
Posted By: ChanceHuiet

Re: Lake Fork Guide Recommendation….Here is my choice….Sorry for the Long Read - 11/30/13 04:02 AM

Originally Posted By: Mark Perry
. I thought he ran a 521. Why I asked. Was scratching my head on that one. Thought he mighta went to the dark side as I call it haha!
Posted By: z7x374

Re: Lake Fork Guide Recommendation….Here is my choice….Sorry for the Long Read - 11/30/13 04:12 AM

Awesome write up! Looks like I know who to talk to about a trip!
Posted By: Shaun Lowe

Re: Lake Fork Guide Recommendation….Here is my choice….Sorry for the Long Read - 11/30/13 04:20 AM

That's great...Thanks for sharing!
Posted By: BCJ

Re: Lake Fork Guide Recommendation….Here is my choice….Sorry for the Long Read - 11/30/13 04:54 AM

Great report!

Re: Lake Fork Guide Recommendation….Here is my choice….Sorry for the Long Read - 11/30/13 05:06 AM

Originally Posted By: ChanceHuiet
. I thought he ran a 521. Why I asked. Was scratching my head on that one. Thought he mighta went to the dark side as I call it haha!

Yep, we fished out of my boat.
Posted By: Matt1212

Re: Lake Fork Guide Recommendation….Here is my choice….Sorry for the Long Read - 11/30/13 05:15 AM

Good to hear some good, positive posts like this one. I will look this guy up next time!

Re: Lake Fork Guide Recommendation….Here is my choice….Sorry for the Long Read - 11/30/13 05:19 AM

For sure....he's got a great attitude and sense of humor. Just a dang good time with conditions that were less than ideal.

Re: Lake Fork Guide Recommendation….Here is my choice….Sorry for the Long Read - 11/30/13 05:21 AM

Originally Posted By: adamat
Good to hear some good, positive posts like this one. I will look this guy up next time!

And he's an Oklahoma boy too, but don't hold that against him, lol.
Posted By: Ken Starling

Re: Lake Fork Guide Recommendation….Here is my choice….Sorry for the Long Read - 11/30/13 05:25 AM

Jason is a great guy. I meet him on here, he was looking for someone to trade some electrical work for a trip. Well me being a electrician and having a boy that loves to fish, it was a no brainer. That was like 5 years ago and to this day I can call him up and chit chat like we have known each other a lot longer. Great with kids. Not to say others aren't. Just saying he is.

Great write up also
Posted By: Fish Killer

Re: Lake Fork Guide Recommendation….Here is my choice….Sorry for the Long Read - 11/30/13 05:32 AM

Great post!!!

This is the kind of trip we all want !
Posted By: Lake Fork Guide Marc Mitchell

Re: Lake Fork Guide Recommendation….Here is my choice….Sorry for the Long Read - 11/30/13 10:59 AM

Good Friend and Very Good Guide ! Glad you and the boy had a great time that in it self is priceless !
Posted By: Rick61

Re: Lake Fork Guide Recommendation….Here is my choice….Sorry for the Long Read - 11/30/13 11:25 AM

The smile on your kids face is what is priceless. There are actually quite a few guides on Fork that take a lot of pride in there job and Jason is one of those that is at the top of the list.
Posted By: Lynn

Re: Lake Fork Guide Recommendation….Here is my choice….Sorry for the Long Read - 11/30/13 12:59 PM

Awesome pics! The smile on your son's face says it all.

Jason is a great guide and an even better person.
Posted By: John Anderson

Re: Lake Fork Guide Recommendation….Here is my choice….Sorry for the Long Read - 11/30/13 01:26 PM

Great write up and good pics. This post definitely will help others when looking forward for a trip on Fork. A Father of 1 year old twins now realizes how much we will put our wants or needs aside to provide / and see them have a good time.

Good Job Jason Hoffman
Posted By: Fishspanker

Re: Lake Fork Guide Recommendation….Here is my choice….Sorry for the Long Read - 11/30/13 01:34 PM

One thing about Lake Fork. Lots of great guides to choose from.
Posted By: DuctsZX250

Re: Lake Fork Guide Recommendation….Here is my choice….Sorry for the Long Read - 11/30/13 02:02 PM

madermu

Could not agree with you more. Took a similar trip with Jason in August. He was great with my boy and his buddy all day long and work his tail off from start to finish.

Don't want to hijack your post but here is a link to our trip with him.

http://texasfishingforum.com/forums/ubbt...cho#Post9258791
Posted By: Karl Dietz

Re: Lake Fork Guide Recommendation….Here is my choice….Sorry for the Long Read - 11/30/13 02:47 PM

Always nice to read a positive post!

Good trip, good guide, good fish!!!
Posted By: Fish AKA Jerry

Re: Lake Fork Guide Recommendation….Here is my choice….Sorry for the Long Read - 11/30/13 04:15 PM

I can't remember the quote exactly or who said it.

A man never stands so tall as when he stoops to help a child.

Sounds like Jason is a very tall guy! Good job by both Jason and Dad .
Posted By: Okie Poke

Re: Lake Fork Guide Recommendation….Here is my choice….Sorry for the Long Read - 11/30/13 05:11 PM

Originally Posted By: madermu
Originally Posted By: adamat

And he's an Oklahoma boy too, but don't hold that against him, lol.

Maybe that's why Jason is such a great dude.....OKLAHOMA ROOTS!! I've been guided by Jason and I will agree he is one the best out there. Had a great time with him. I'm glad you and your son's experience was so good. It's all about the kids and it sounds like you've got all that figured out.
Posted By: senko9S

Re: Lake Fork Guide Recommendation….Here is my choice….Sorry for the Long Read - 11/30/13 06:34 PM

Jason is a class act for sure, congrats! cheers
Posted By: BassinBilly

Re: Lake Fork Guide Recommendation….Here is my choice….Sorry for the Long Read - 11/30/13 11:32 PM

Jason is a cut above !!!!
Posted By: love my skeeter

Re: Lake Fork Guide Recommendation….Here is my choice….Sorry for the Long Read - 11/30/13 11:58 PM

Awesome write up on apparently a great guide. Congrats on the pb !
Posted By: jcarring99

Re: Lake Fork Guide Recommendation….Here is my choice….Sorry for the Long Read - 12/01/13 02:45 AM

For sure....he's got a great attitude and sense of humor. Just a dang good time with conditions that were less than ideal.

That is awesome! Just remind me of Jason when I take my two knot heads out there sometime! Looks like great times!

Re: Lake Fork Guide Recommendation….Here is my choice….Sorry for the Long Read - 12/01/13 02:52 AM

Hell he and I are supposed to snaek over to another East Texas lake and throw some swimbaits on top of the grass this winter.

Re: Lake Fork Guide Recommendation….Here is my choice….Sorry for the Long Read - 12/01/13 03:26 AM

Originally Posted By: Coach JC

That is awesome! Just remind me of Jason when I take my two knot heads out there sometime! Looks like great times!

Joel, you and your boys will have a ball. Go ahead and get that trip booked.
Posted By: jcarring99

Re: Lake Fork Guide Recommendation….Here is my choice….Sorry for the Long Read - 12/01/13 03:34 AM

I need to book it when I know we will catch some. Mine probably aren't as patient as yours!

Re: Lake Fork Guide Recommendation….Here is my choice….Sorry for the Long Read - 12/01/13 03:42 AM

Originally Posted By: Ken Starling
Jason is a great guy. I meet him on here, he was looking for someone to trade some electrical work for a trip. Well me being a electrician and having a boy that loves to fish, it was a no brainer. That was like 5 years ago and to this day I can call him up and chit chat like we have known each other a lot longer. Great with kids. Not to say others aren't. Just saying he is.

Great write up also

Hey ken, no doubt about that. Prior to our trip, I would send him screen shots via text from my hds units to see if I was on the right track. He would respond immediately while I was on the water. It was a huge help. In the beginning, I was way off, he would then send me a pic of what I should be seeing on my graph. After the trip we just took, my boy can tell ya whether you need to stop and fish or not.

Just a heckuva deal.

Re: Lake Fork Guide Recommendation….Here is my choice….Sorry for the Long Read - 12/01/13 03:49 AM

Originally Posted By: Coach JC
I need to book it when I know we will catch some. Mine probably aren't as patient as yours!

Lol, your boys are awesome and they will be fine. If you go, you are gonna catch some fish.

I think temperature would be pretty important. When it's that cold, you better love to fish, lol. My hands were killing me, lol.
Posted By: Jason Hoffman -- Lake Fork Guide

Re: Lake Fork Guide Recommendation….Here is my choice….Sorry for the Long Read - 12/01/13 02:17 PM

Thank you ALL for the very kind words!

Madermu, thoroughly enjoyed having you guys. It was great seeing your son having such a good time. He has an unbelieveable hookset for a 9 yr old! I can't wait to see him as he grows up. HE is going to be the beast!!!

Looking forward to next time!!! Thanks again!
Posted By: papamark

Re: Lake Fork Guide Recommendation….Here is my choice….Sorry for the Long Read - 12/01/13 02:27 PM

Nice JOB Jason, will have to have you show me how to catch big bass
Posted By: mattm

Re: Lake Fork Guide Recommendation….Here is my choice….Sorry for the Long Read - 12/01/13 10:54 PM

I can't count how man people I've tried to explain to what a great person and guide Jason Hoffman is. I've never managed to do it as well as you. Great post!
Posted By: AndrewG - Lake Fork Guide

Re: Lake Fork Guide Recommendation….Here is my choice….Sorry for the Long Read - 12/04/13 01:22 AM

What a great post! I am proud to call Jason my friend.
Posted By: Skeeter443

Re: Lake Fork Guide Recommendation….Here is my choice….Sorry for the Long Read - 12/04/13 02:40 AM

great story of a awesome fishing trip.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum