Texas Fishing Forum

Looking for a Good Jig

Posted By: Black Bass Blake

Looking for a Good Jig - 10/21/13 10:03 PM

I say this every year around this time. I always have the best intentions of becoming a good jig fisher but just don't have the confidence in them to make myself fish them. This Fall will be different. What's a good Fall color and size to build some confidence. When do the crawfish molten? And what water temp is idea for jig fishing? Thanks for any help.

Mark Perry have any jigs for sale?
Posted By: ColoradoTransplant

Re: Looking for a Good Jig - 10/21/13 10:09 PM

What kinda jig you talkin about? football jig? or just jig head with softplastic on it?

Re: Looking for a Good Jig - 10/21/13 10:13 PM

Hey Colorado any kind of jig that will build confidence, football, finesse, stand up, but I do want a skirted jig. I can flip pegged T-rigs with craw plastics and catch fish just can't seem to get the bites with a skirted jig.
Posted By: Donald Harper

Re: Looking for a Good Jig - 10/21/13 11:24 PM

My Baby Doll Jig Prototypes are available.
Shoot me a PM. for the Link.

Comes with:
12 mm. Rattling eyes.
6.0 Gami. hook in 3/4 oz.
Living Rubber hand tied skirt in 3 different colors.
Skirts are tabs with Minnow Powder poured in the tabs.
3 trailers (twin tails, Floating Craw Claws and Speed Craw Jr.) Hand poured with Night Crawler Scent.
6 hot capsules and keepers to give the jig a Heat Signature.
Posted By: ColoradoTransplant

Re: Looking for a Good Jig - 10/21/13 11:44 PM

Ive been having the best luck with white powergrubs on a jig head these past few trips... I was fishing moving water in a river, and still water as well

I am admittedly an amatuer at best, but I fish mine two ways... first way I do it is kinda like a jerk bait with a twitch pause twitch pause movement, and they usually hit it either on the fall, or right when you twitch, and you kinda wanna let em turn with it before setting the hook in an upward motion

The second way I do it is to just swim em... varying my retrieval speed -- again I am an amatuer with jigs... I am more of a crankbait / spinnerbait kinda guy
Posted By: Jake Shannon(Skeet4Life)

Re: Looking for a Good Jig - 10/21/13 11:45 PM

Get ya a 3/8 or half ounce black and blue jig put a plack and blue x-cite raptor craw trailer on it and start fishing it you will get bit eventually. Ever lake is a good lake for a jig but Ray Bob.
Posted By: Lynn

Re: Looking for a Good Jig - 10/21/13 11:46 PM

Give Joey Watts a shout at Flatlands Custom Tackle, www.flatlandscustomtackle.com. He knows how to build a jig and will customize them to your specs.

I've had good luck recently on his finesse jigs and his swim jigs.

Good luck!
Posted By: armadillo joe

Re: Looking for a Good Jig - 10/21/13 11:50 PM

Mark Pack's Awesome jigs are just great I haven't been able to hang one up in grass yet he has a real different weed guard.
Posted By: Hookset Brother- Martin

Re: Looking for a Good Jig - 10/22/13 12:06 AM

All you need is a 3/16 santone finesse jig in #96 river bream. Best jig
Posted By: D Thomas

Re: Looking for a Good Jig - 10/22/13 12:17 AM

Originally Posted By: Lynn
Give Joey Watts a shout at Flatlands Custom Tackle, www.flatlandscustomtackle.com. He knows how to build a jig and will customize them to your specs.

I've had good luck recently on his finesse jigs and his swim jigs.

Good luck!

^^^ He makes great jigs and some killer bladed swim jigs too! Not sure if he still makes the bladed swim jigs, but they were awesome on Fork in the spring. Hot Craw was the color.
Posted By: Bruce Johns

Re: Looking for a Good Jig - 10/22/13 12:32 AM

I don't think the perfect jig has ever, and maybe never will, be invented. Try some different shapes in an aquarium and prepare to be unimpressed. The ones that hold a craw, for instance, in a slightly upright position have a head that is too wide and can many times just slip right out of a fish's mouth. The fish has the thing in it's mouth sideways...and the hook just misses. A jig that won't do that, allows the bait to rock over on it's side...nothing in nature does that. There are some with split weedguards that may be a slight improvement...but not much.
While I'm on a roll....whoever first thought it was was a good idea to put colored weedguards on a jig? Are the fish supposed to not notice it? Surely there are fibers that are just as suitable in clear. Why are they limited to swim jigs?
My 2 cents.
Posted By: Carrot Stix

Re: Looking for a Good Jig - 10/22/13 12:37 AM

Go buy a handful of strike king tour grade 3/4 oz green pumpkin football jigs , throw a strike king rage craw in summer craw color on the back , drag it slow and send me pics !!! I promise if you fish it enough you will be blown away
Posted By: meallenjr

Re: Looking for a Good Jig - 10/22/13 12:45 AM

Check out Kustom Kicker Jigs at www.kustomkickerjigs.com
Posted By: Chase-N-Bass

Re: Looking for a Good Jig - 10/22/13 12:46 AM

Check out Kustom Kicker Jigs, The Freak. The best jig I have ever used! kustomkickerjigs.com check them out

Re: Looking for a Good Jig - 10/22/13 12:50 AM

Originally Posted By: Bruce Johns
I don't think the perfect jig has ever, and maybe never will, be invented. Try some different shapes in an aquarium and prepare to be unimpressed. The ones that hold a craw, for instance, in a slightly upright position have a head that is too wide and can many times just slip right out of a fish's mouth. The fish has the thing in it's mouth sideways...and the hook just misses. A jig that won't do that, allows the bait to rock over on it's side...nothing in nature does that. There are some with split weedguards that may be a slight improvement...but not much.
While I'm on a roll....whoever first thought it was was a good idea to put colored weedguards on a jig? Are the fish supposed to not notice it? Surely there are fibers that are just as suitable in clear. Why are they limited to swim jigs?

My 2 cents.

Thanks Bruce, I can't tell a lot of blood sweat and research went into your findings. Makes sense
Posted By: Bruce Johns

Re: Looking for a Good Jig - 10/22/13 12:58 AM

My old friend that guides on Fork has a major jig manufacturer as a sponser but if you go fun fishing with him...you'll never see him tie on a jig. This is what he taught me...He uses a pegged tungsten flippin bullet weight (the kind with the little skirt keeper)...a skirt (of course), and an offset weighted swimbait hook....he grinds/sands/files the bottom of the weight on the swimbait hook flat, so it sits on the bottom flat and t-rigs his bait. You essentially have a jig without weedguards, strange-shaped heads, and other jig problems. Works for me but mileage may vary. Good luck.
Posted By: Mark Perry

Re: Looking for a Good Jig - 10/22/13 01:14 AM

Blake,

Actually got a new jighead I have been messing with. Will be happy to build a few jigs for you.
Posted By: Hoghunter36

Re: Looking for a Good Jig - 10/22/13 01:18 AM

The weed guard for me does make a difference I use them as part of my color scheme . For instance I have a perch colored jig I make the skirt material stays the same color but for clear water ill use a black weed guard wich will give the appearance of a dark backed perch in stained water ill use a olive color wich matches the pale back of dirty water perch. Some people will say that is going to far but I truly believe it makes a difference.

As far as a good jig my favorite by far is a plain ole boss swim jig head it works for me in most cover. I like a pale colored watermelon with a black accent( won't give up my exact colors) with this color you can use a trailer to change profiles of a jig. Add a zoom watermelon swim chunk die a little bit of the tails chartreuse and you have a perch . Put on a green pumpkin or watermelon craw flip the skirt and you have a craw fish color that will be in range of most lakes.

Other than that learning how to fish the jig the way the fish want it on a particular day or lake will be the most important.

Once you get used to jig fishing you will be hard pressed to give it up.
I use a jig about three quarters of the time I fish and believe I can catch at least a few fish anywhere anytime of year on one.

Good luck on the jig fishing!! Once you get used to that jig thump you'll be hooked.

Re: Looking for a Good Jig - 10/22/13 01:29 AM

Thanks Mark, I'll take you up on that. I'll shoot you a PM.

Hog Hunter I'm an old school Crappie man that went to the dark side so I know I love the thump. I can fish a vertical suspending jig with ease, it's just when that jig hits the bottom I lose my confidence in working it the way it should be worked, main reason is I don't know if it's laying on it's side looking like a fool or if it is working like a champ smile. Thanks for your input. This is an interesting topic for sure.
Posted By: David Medler

Re: Looking for a Good Jig - 10/22/13 02:43 AM

www.elkriverjigs.com, quality hand tied jigs, great selection or custom made
Posted By: Smash-Tech Custom Baits

Re: Looking for a Good Jig - 10/22/13 03:05 AM

If you want to gain confidence in jigs and get lots of bites try the Santone finesse jig in river bream with a green pumpkin speed craw trailer. Use it almost every time I fish and seldom don't catch a fish on it.
Posted By: Joel McBride

Re: Looking for a Good Jig - 10/22/13 03:07 AM

Originally Posted By: Jake Shannon
Get ya a 3/8 or half ounce black and blue jig put a plack and blue x-cite raptor craw trailer on it and start fishing it you will get bit eventually. Ever lake is a good lake for a jig but Ray Bob.

OK

Re: Looking for a Good Jig - 10/22/13 03:11 AM

Originally Posted By: Heath Taylor
If you want to gain confidence in jigs and get lots of bites try the Santone finesse jig in river bream with a green pumpkin speed craw trailer. Use it almost every time I fish and seldom don't catch a fish on it.

Thanks Heath I saw you flipping those tire reefs on Honeyhole with those.
Posted By: Darren Heavner

Re: Looking for a Good Jig - 10/22/13 03:17 AM

Originally Posted By: OUTLAWMEDLER
www.elkriverjigs.com, quality hand tied jigs, great selection or custom made

+1

Fantastic jigs, fantastic people!!
Posted By: Bass-N-Buck Master

Re: Looking for a Good Jig - 10/22/13 03:27 AM

ok might be little expensive but i wouldn't worry with color just buy (x)amount of jigs that you wanna try out preferably whatever size u fish most and what trailer you use the most and put them all in a glass fish tank if u have one, if not if possible look for a cheap one then decide which one looks the best to you stands up straight may even want to put it on some line and pop it up and down see which ones look most realistic...
otherwise you will get (x)amount of opinions on here and leave you second guessing which one you want...
Just my .02

I've never been much of a jig fisherman but used one alot in february and caught fish with them and built my confidence up...
Posted By: ZX 250

Re: Looking for a Good Jig - 10/22/13 04:02 AM

Bass assault jigs
www.bassassualt.com.
Posted By: Joefishin

Re: Looking for a Good Jig - 10/22/13 01:52 PM

I agree with Heath. The best way to learn a jig for someone without confidence in them is a finesse jig. YOu will get more bites on one and jigs catch bigger fish in general even finesse. Stick with a natural green color or black/blue. Don't worry about other color variations till you gain confidence in the drop rate and feel of the jig. Worrying about color right now will only lessen your confidence.
Posted By: bus driver

Re: Looking for a Good Jig - 10/22/13 02:02 PM

Yep!
Posted By: WTXHooker

Re: Looking for a Good Jig - 10/22/13 04:48 PM

Originally Posted By: Jake Shannon

Haha False. Ray Bob is a good jig lake.
Posted By: SkeeterRonnie

Re: Looking for a Good Jig - 10/22/13 06:10 PM

Ray Bob is one of the best for jigs!

Heath T said all you need to know to start out. Santone is the best out there, IMO!

I use 3 colors. Black/blu, watermelon colored blend, and white ice.
Posted By: LWP

Re: Looking for a Good Jig - 10/22/13 06:17 PM

Try Joey Watts at Flatlands custom baits. Tell him exactly what you want and the colors and he will fix it up. His jigs are some of the very best I have ever used anywhere. He makes up football , finesse
swim or any kind of jig you could want including bladed jigs.

Re: Looking for a Good Jig - 10/22/13 06:18 PM

Originally Posted By: Black Bass Blake

Thanks Heath I saw you flipping those tire reefs on Honeyhole with those.

Anyone have a link to that episode?
Posted By: BThomas

Re: Looking for a Good Jig - 10/22/13 08:14 PM

Originally Posted By: R.M.

HoneyHole with Heath
Posted By: jcarring99

Re: Looking for a Good Jig - 10/22/13 08:21 PM

Originally Posted By: BThomas

HoneyHole with Heath

dammit
Posted By: fish-n-golf-n

Re: Looking for a Good Jig - 10/22/13 08:35 PM

Originally Posted By: Coach JC
Originally Posted By: BThomas

HoneyHole with Heath

dammit

man, was ready to watch a little Honey Hole fishin at work.... that's just mean and wrong... I'm taking my ball and going home!!!

Re: Looking for a Good Jig - 10/23/13 12:04 AM

thanks Blake grin

Figured out we had it on the DVr. Didn't know about one spot. Too cool
Posted By: lamoon78

Re: Looking for a Good Jig - 10/23/13 12:25 AM

+1 for Santone jigs but like others said keep the colors simple till you get confidense in a jig and it takes time and alot of patients to figure the jig bite out. I used to hate throwing a jig now I will throw it till my arm falls off.

Re: Looking for a Good Jig - 10/25/13 03:42 AM

Just wanted to thank Kathy with Santone Jigs. She PM'ed me and is going to send me a couple of jigs that Heath Taylor uses to try out.. Thanks Santone and to you Kathy smile . You have a new customer.
Posted By: Hookset Brother- Martin

Re: Looking for a Good Jig - 10/25/13 05:04 AM

#96 river bream santone is the best out there hands down. I add a watermelon zoom ultra vibe crawl and its fantastic! !
Posted By: Mark Perry

Re: Looking for a Good Jig - 10/25/13 05:31 AM

Originally Posted By: Black Bass Blake
Just wanted to thank Kathy with Santone Jigs. She PM'ed me and is going to send me a couple of jigs that Heath Taylor uses to try out.. Thanks Santone and to you Kathy smile . You have a new customer.

Trust me Santone builds a MUCH better jig than I ever thought about. Good people with great products. Hard to go wrong there.
Posted By: kjp

Re: Looking for a Good Jig - 10/25/13 01:15 PM

Where do you find santone jigs at? Online or in stores?
Posted By: SouthTexasFishermen

Re: Looking for a Good Jig - 10/25/13 01:42 PM

Kathy did the same for me and they are AMAZING!!! Santone is the obvious the way to go!
Posted By: Smash-Tech Custom Baits

Re: Looking for a Good Jig - 10/25/13 01:45 PM

Originally Posted By: kjp
Where do you find santone jigs at? Online or in stores?

The links below and also lots of tackle shops in N and NE Texas. Fun N Sun and Anglers Pro Tackle I believe both stock them.
Posted By: fouzman

Re: Looking for a Good Jig - 10/25/13 01:47 PM

Santone!!! Or Mpack Jig.
Posted By: Happykamper

Re: Looking for a Good Jig - 10/25/13 01:49 PM

I like a Santone jig but I also like the NUTech jig as well.
Posted By: Gregg R

Re: Looking for a Good Jig - 10/25/13 08:27 PM

Hey Nitroman what line size do you use with your finesse jigs?
Posted By: Mrs. fouzman

Re: Looking for a Good Jig - 10/27/13 12:27 AM

Mark Pack jigs are awesome! Check them out at Oak Ridge or Lake Fork Marina.
Posted By: ezbassin

Re: Looking for a Good Jig - 10/27/13 01:58 AM

I have been hearing about Mark Packs new jig. I will have to check them out.
Posted By: bassdoode

Re: Looking for a Good Jig - 10/27/13 02:03 AM

the best time of year to build confidence with jigs is in spring time during spawn. my favorite color is a brown and orange jig with a alabama color Zoom speed craw, because that's what i built my confidence on. santone is good and V&M are good too and can be found on: www.tacklewarehouse.com
Posted By: Brian McCarty

Re: Looking for a Good Jig - 10/27/13 02:15 AM

V&M Pacemaker Magic Craw 3/8
Posted By: sarcazmo

Re: Looking for a Good Jig - 10/27/13 03:23 AM

Dont really use much other than nutech nujigs anymore. When they come out with their football design I'll probably use them exclusively.

Will still make my own skirts though.
Posted By: Big Red 12

Re: Looking for a Good Jig - 11/02/13 02:48 PM

Elk River. Hand tied. Those are the best.
Posted By: AndrewG - Lake Fork Guide

Re: Looking for a Good Jig - 11/02/13 07:08 PM

You should try Mark Pack's jig too. To answer your questions, I use two primary colors, either a type of greenpumpkin or black/blue. 1/2 or 3/4oz. Football head for deeper structure and pitching style head for heavy cover.

Re: Looking for a Good Jig - 11/03/13 02:33 PM

Ok here is my report on my intended day of nothing but jig fishing yesterday. I couldn't really ever graph fish on the bottom and they seemed to be scattered and somewhat suspended.
I caught a nice 3 pounder on a Santone Finesse jig with River Bream color with a pumpkin/black Aircraw trailer.
I ended up catching 10 fish, most on C-rigs with a long leader with an Aircraw.
Posted By: ModGuy56

Re: Looking for a Good Jig - 11/03/13 05:41 PM

Just don't give up on the jig, I was the same way and now it's hard for me to put it down, the big bites will come to u

Re: Looking for a Good Jig - 11/03/13 06:58 PM

Oh I'm not if anything I'm more determined than ever.

Re: Looking for a Good Jig - 11/10/13 05:24 PM

Another on a Santone 1/2 oz.Yesterday @ RC
Posted By: Cheesehead Wes

Re: Looking for a Good Jig - 11/10/13 05:28 PM

Elk river/rock crawler
Posted By: gene30

Re: Looking for a Good Jig - 11/11/13 03:35 PM

Does anyone know where I can but some od Mark Pack's Jigs?
Posted By: armadillo joe

Re: Looking for a Good Jig - 11/11/13 03:59 PM

Lake Fork Marina or Oakridge both have them.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum