Texas Fishing Forum

Texas Tech Vs. Arkansas

Posted By: Bassin till I die

Texas Tech Vs. Arkansas - 08/29/13 10:26 PM

I am transferring school next year, but refuse to go anywhere I cannot fish. I was wondering if you guys have fished near either of these universities and if so, how was it? What was the closest lake?
Posted By: BanjoMinnow

Re: Texas Tech Vs. Arkansas - 08/29/13 10:29 PM

I go to tech and fish atleast twice a week. The closest decent lake is 45 minutes, but it's not bad. And comparing the schools, Tech is definitely worth coming to. You will know what I mean after your first 5 minutes walking around campus.
Posted By: CDubSmith2

Re: Texas Tech Vs. Arkansas - 08/29/13 10:57 PM

If you wanna fish mud puddles go to tech. Bunch of sand, wind, and tortilla throwing fools. You wanna do some fishing central/east Tx is your best bet. Texas A&M is your spot.

Gig Em!

Re: Texas Tech Vs. Arkansas - 08/29/13 11:01 PM

I just left SFA, had great areas to fish, but the school just wasnt for me!
Posted By: Cheesehead Wes

Re: Texas Tech Vs. Arkansas - 08/29/13 11:03 PM

Originally Posted By: Wayne S
If you wanna fish mud puddles go to tech. Bunch of sand, wind, and tortilla throwing fools. You wanna do some fishing central/east Tx is your best bet. Texas A&M is your spot.

Gig Em!

I live in Lubbock. He is right! But our girls are wayyyyyy hotter! It's insane!
Posted By: scumfrogg

Re: Texas Tech Vs. Arkansas - 08/29/13 11:20 PM

Arkansas way hotter girls and way better fishing. Not even close Lubbock sucks
Posted By: Der Vorsteher

Re: Texas Tech Vs. Arkansas - 08/29/13 11:22 PM

Girls come and go, you need to concentrate on hitting the books and getting a great education and doing a little fishing. Don't let these guys tell you that hot girls are all that important.

sarcastic
Posted By: Bissett

Re: Texas Tech Vs. Arkansas - 08/29/13 11:23 PM

I went to college about an hour west of Feyetville in Tahlequah, OK. There are a ton of lakes in that region and they are great! you can catch about as many smallmouth as largemouth. You may not be able to cath the size as you could down in Texas. And U of A has a better fishing team than Tech lol. and the landscape is a lot nicer than Lubbock. I'll stop there haha
Posted By: scumfrogg

Re: Texas Tech Vs. Arkansas - 08/29/13 11:27 PM

Tech = flat and windy and in the middle of nowhere. Fayettville has several awesome lakes nearby and one of the best college campuses you will find.
Posted By: a-mac

Re: Texas Tech Vs. Arkansas - 08/29/13 11:30 PM

TCU! 8:1 girls to guys. Oh, and there are only like a dozen lakes within 1.5 hrs. Fork is 2hrs away too.
Posted By: Der Vorsteher

Re: Texas Tech Vs. Arkansas - 08/29/13 11:47 PM

Originally Posted By: a-mac
TCU! 8:1 girls to guys. Oh, and there are only like a dozen lakes within 1.5 hrs. Fork is 2hrs away too.

And way more expensive.
Posted By: David Burton

Re: Texas Tech Vs. Arkansas - 08/29/13 11:58 PM

Dozen near TCU??? Subtract two: Bridgeport and Granbury don't count!

banana
Posted By: Vinsanity

Re: Texas Tech Vs. Arkansas - 08/30/13 01:35 AM

I went to Tech and my son just graduated Arkansas. I loved tech but sold my boat before I went knowing I wouldn't be fishing for 5 yrs. glad I didn't go to Arkansas I would have flunked out. Great fishing and beautiful campus. I would have to pick Arkansas over my alma mater. But as coach says get an education first and enjoy college life. It will be the best time of your life!
Posted By: RedRaider3933

Re: Texas Tech Vs. Arkansas - 08/30/13 01:40 AM

I fished for Tech for two years. I will say you do have to travel a good ways most of the time just because of location but when you fish lakes like Ivie, Amistad, and Falcon it is well worth it. You also have the little gems like Sweetwater and Oak Creek that are awesome lakes too. There are a lot of really good lakes in Arkansas but how many are there where you can go out a pop a 30+ pound bag and have a shot at an absolute monster fish? Not that many.

Re: Texas Tech Vs. Arkansas - 08/30/13 02:04 AM

Originally Posted By: CoachWhite34™
Originally Posted By: a-mac

And way more expensive.

Yes, This! If I could afford TCU I would have me a sick skeeter right now!

Re: Texas Tech Vs. Arkansas - 08/30/13 02:06 AM

Alright, guess I need to go spend some time at Arkansas and make sure the classes themselves are going to be whats right for me! Just would hate to go somewhere I cant do something I am passionate about. Thanks guys!
Posted By: Deputy T

Re: Texas Tech Vs. Arkansas - 08/30/13 02:10 AM

+ 1 on Arkansas! Pig Sooie!
Posted By: spacityjason

Re: Texas Tech Vs. Arkansas - 08/30/13 02:10 AM

Razorbacks all the way. The campus has changed a lot since my time(1996), for the better. It's grown tremendously. Also, the UofA has a pretty stout collegiate fishing program. As far as comparing fishing waters, I have never fished around the pan handle, but in the NW Arkanasas, you have more water than you can fish. Home water would be Beaver Lake. You also have Table Rock, Bull Shoals, Grand Lake, Arkansas River, etc. all within shouting distance. Plus, several more smaller lakes in western Ar. Just image yourself doing the Hog Call....its a beautiful thing!
Posted By: Deputy T

Re: Texas Tech Vs. Arkansas - 08/30/13 02:15 AM

I love calling the hogs in.....Bought tickets today!!!!
Posted By: Douglas J

Re: Texas Tech Vs. Arkansas - 08/30/13 02:18 AM

Woo Pig Sooie!!!!!!
Posted By: largemouthokie

Re: Texas Tech Vs. Arkansas - 08/30/13 02:18 AM

Arkansas! Northwest part of Arkansas has very good lakes. Plus Grand lake is not to far in Oklahoma. Also have Ark river with many pools to fish. Every university has pretty ladies.
Posted By: hawgcaller

Re: Texas Tech Vs. Arkansas - 08/30/13 02:20 AM

University of Arkansas would be my pick. Of course I am prejudiced, look at my dual purpose screen name. Go Hogs! Woo Pig Sooie!!
Posted By: Caymas Cx 21

Re: Texas Tech Vs. Arkansas - 08/30/13 02:20 AM

Gig Em!

I'd rather be a tortilla throwing fool than go to a place where the men are proud to be cheerleaders and the corp boys kiss each other. Gag'em Aggies
Posted By: HoldemHook68

Re: Texas Tech Vs. Arkansas - 08/30/13 02:23 AM

Whats your major? UAH is an engineering school and 45 minutes from smallmouth heaven Pickwick, 1 hour away from Guntersville, 1.5 hours away from the spotted bass factory known as smith lake. with Weiss, wheeler, and Wilson thrown in for good measure, ROLL TIDE
Posted By: WTXHooker

Re: Texas Tech Vs. Arkansas - 08/30/13 02:34 AM

Gig Em!

Must not have had enough sheep lately.... frkazoid
Posted By: craigfish

Re: Texas Tech Vs. Arkansas - 08/30/13 02:43 AM

"I've been to every major campus in the US & TTU girls are the hottest group I have ever seen...." Colin Cowherd ESPN Sports.
It's unbelievable Man.
Posted By: WPS

Re: Texas Tech Vs. Arkansas - 08/30/13 02:53 AM

My handle is WPS...Woooo Pig Sooooooieeeee!!!
I live in Fayetteville and would highly recommend it. Within an hour to an 1 1/2 hour drive you have Beaver (closest but hardest to fish), Grand, Table Rock (very fun lake to fish) and the Arkansas River. A little further is Bull Shoals another good lake and Lake Dardanelle (part of the AR river), probably my favorite to fish. There's lots of variety here to learn a lot of different techniques. There are also plenty of cool mountain streams to cool off in the summer and catch some smallmouths. Beautiful scenery as well. What do you plan on majoring in? That should factor in on your decision at least a little bit;).
Posted By: PEDRO H.

Re: Texas Tech Vs. Arkansas - 08/30/13 02:59 AM

Go to TECH!!
Posted By: Brocephus

Re: Texas Tech Vs. Arkansas - 08/30/13 04:56 AM

Lake Meredith up by Amarillo has smallmouths, right?

GO TO TECH!!!!
Posted By: Fish AKA Jerry

Re: Texas Tech Vs. Arkansas - 08/30/13 11:37 AM

There is no comparison. ARKANSAS. It has 1000% more to offer in the way of fishing.
Posted By: a-mac

Re: Texas Tech Vs. Arkansas - 08/30/13 01:46 PM

Originally Posted By: WPS
My handle is WPS...Woooo Pig Sooooooieeeee!!!
I live in Fayetteville and would highly recommend it. Within an hour to an 1 1/2 hour drive you have Beaver (closest but hardest to fish), Grand, Table Rock (very fun lake to fish) and the Arkansas River. A little further is Bull Shoals another good lake and Lake Dardanelle (part of the AR river), probably my favorite to fish. There's lots of variety here to learn a lot of different techniques. There are also plenty of cool mountain streams to cool off in the summer and catch some smallmouths. Beautiful scenery as well. What do you plan on majoring in? That should factor in on your decision at least a little bit;).

Dardanelle is a great lake to fish!
Posted By: Rog

Re: Texas Tech Vs. Arkansas - 08/30/13 02:20 PM

Tech alum 88 with engineering degree. Great school and fun times. Yes the women and people in general are the greatest. The ugliest woman at Tech would be the prettiest at a&m........ do not listen to any aggie they are just jealous. Fishing is limited in west texas but that may be a blessing if you are ate up as I was at that age. Visit both and pick the school that fits you and offers the most pay back in the field you chose for the investment you are able to make Wreck em!!!
Posted By: dustinj707

Re: Texas Tech Vs. Arkansas - 08/30/13 02:29 PM

All this hate and untrue stories about A&M is just funny. I guess if you cant be them you might as well talk bad about them. As far as beautiful girls, Tech and UA talk a lot but per capita I bet SFA has them beat hands down, and they have a good fishing team.

Better go with the best school for your major though. Engineering (TAMU), Business (UT), Tortilla Throwing (TECH), Hillbilly Life (UA). All kidding aside, they are all great schools, one will just fit you better.
Posted By: dustinj707

Re: Texas Tech Vs. Arkansas - 08/30/13 02:31 PM

Just as a follow up, went to A&M and it was great but a little too big for my liking. Ended up graduating from SFA and loved the school, campus, women. What can I say, I am a pinney woods east texas boy at heart.
Posted By: Turf Dawg

Re: Texas Tech Vs. Arkansas - 08/30/13 02:57 PM

Originally Posted By: Bissett
I went to college about an hour west of Feyetville in Tahlequah, OK. There are a ton of lakes in that region and they are great! you can catch about as many smallmouth as largemouth. You may not be able to cath the size as you could down in Texas. And U of A has a better fishing team than Tech lol. and the landscape is a lot nicer than Lubbock. I'll stop there haha

Go NSU Riverhawks

I was there Sunday for the football meet and greet. You are right about there being some nice lakes.

Is the out of state tuition for Hog Sooie going to be more expensive than a new boat?
Posted By: J.H.S.

Re: Texas Tech Vs. Arkansas - 08/30/13 03:31 PM

Originally Posted By: RedRaider3933
I fished for Tech for two years. I will say you do have to travel a good ways most of the time just because of location but when you fish lakes like Ivie, Amistad, and Falcon it is well worth it. You also have the little gems like Sweetwater and Oak Creek that are awesome lakes too. There are a lot of really good lakes in Arkansas but how many are there where you can go out a pop a 30+ pound bag and have a shot at an absolute monster fish? Not that many.

Agreed. I go to Angelo State and Sweetwater and Oak Creek can be nasty at time. And Ivie, well no explanation needed. Also Amistad is 2 and a half hours away. 30+ lb bags down in these parts are a possibility on any day it seems like.
Posted By: PKfishin

Re: Texas Tech Vs. Arkansas - 08/30/13 03:32 PM

Go visit NW Arkansas and stop by Beaver lake. Once you see that super clear water where visibility is over 10 feet, you'll easily make a decision. If you want to fish, you can't beat that area.

Tech is a good school but west Texas is not know for its water.
Posted By: T54

Re: Texas Tech Vs. Arkansas - 08/30/13 03:34 PM

Having spent a ton of time in both Lubbock and Bentonville/Rogers/Fayetteville, I would say that hands down it would be Arkansas...beautiful part of the country with a ton of water, good economy, and nice people.
Posted By: Tiltman

Re: Texas Tech Vs. Arkansas - 08/30/13 03:37 PM

My Kid is at Tech now, love that place but if Fishing were the deal breaker I think I'd even go to Ark.

Re: Texas Tech Vs. Arkansas - 08/30/13 04:19 PM

no, arkansas has a "border pact" with texas, so texas students get a greatly discounted price on tuition, and the same goes for Arkansas students in texas. However, I was also awarded a scholarship to make my tuition just below what normal instate is. Tech is still a tad cheaper, but I just cant seem to find a good reason to live in Lubbock, so it looks like Arkansas for me next year unless somewhere else gives me big $$$!!

Re: Texas Tech Vs. Arkansas - 08/30/13 04:29 PM

University of Arkansas also has a well organized college fishing team, at least they did a few years ago.

Re: Texas Tech Vs. Arkansas - 08/30/13 04:38 PM

well, Tech does too...
Posted By: TTU_fisherman

Re: Texas Tech Vs. Arkansas - 08/30/13 05:31 PM

Went to Tech from DFW area and still live in Lubbock. I dont care where you go and I dont know much about Arkansas, but there are a few things to note about Tech.

Fishing - I would guess I probably caught more 10+ lb fish while at Tech than 99% of people in AK caught combined during that time. Yes there is not a lot of water close by, but if you are a big bass chaser, you will likely be better off.

The school/town - Hard to beat. Low traffic, good atmosphere, good people, same college stuff to do, low cost.

Like others said. Visit both and see which one impresses you more.
Posted By: Tyler_Woods

Re: Texas Tech Vs. Arkansas - 08/30/13 05:47 PM

SFA....... nuff said!
Posted By: borntofish1

Re: Texas Tech Vs. Arkansas - 08/31/13 05:06 AM

You cant go wrong with Univ of AR. Went there. Graduated with the best education. The school is the heart of the area. Education first. More and more elite/FLW tourneys are going there. Not too many coming to Lubbock.. You make the decision..
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum