Texas Fishing Forum

say your running 74 mph down the lake...

Posted By: Happykamper

say your running 74 mph down the lake... - 08/23/13 09:24 PM

and all of the sudden you encounter giant cruiser wakes, what do you do ? This happened to me a few weeks ago, I let off the throttle, it was not pretty, thought I was going to flip the boat. Should I have stayed in it ? Those cruiser wakes are hard to see until they are right on top of you, it was on Texoma, my wife was not very happy with me. grin
Posted By: Shawn Mead

Re: say your running 74 mph down the lake... - 08/23/13 09:27 PM

Been there before and it sucks big time. Liked to have swamped the boat.
Posted By: bccougar

Re: say your running 74 mph down the lake... - 08/23/13 09:36 PM

first hit the down trim asap. the last thing you want is to be air born. dont trim down all the way but atleast half. even 1 second on the trim down will help keep you in control and slow you down dramatically. second always try to cross the wave quickly so you can span it with your boat. if you go sideways the odds of capsizing are much greater.a 20' boat will span even the biggest yaht wake if pointed across the wake instead of with it. I used to live on conroe and this was a common situation.
Posted By: FX Dreamweaver

Re: say your running 74 mph down the lake... - 08/23/13 09:37 PM

vest,kill switch and a quick prayer
Posted By: bccougar

Re: say your running 74 mph down the lake... - 08/23/13 09:38 PM

after control is regained promptly turn around and go kick the [censored] out of the rich a hole who left the wake!!!!!
Posted By: Fish Killer

Re: say your running 74 mph down the lake... - 08/23/13 09:39 PM

Those battleships up on Texoma suck.
Posted By: JPost

Re: say your running 74 mph down the lake... - 08/23/13 09:41 PM

Really dangerous to rapidly throttle down when going 74. If too much boat catches water too fast get ready to get thrown out of the boat. Trim down, then throttle down.
Posted By: Txduckhunter

Re: say your running 74 mph down the lake... - 08/23/13 09:53 PM

I won't run full throttle except eary in the morning on Texoma just because of the monstor wakes. Thing that sux is that it can be totally flat and you run across a wake from a boat a mile up the lake..
Posted By: Ranger1

Re: say your running 74 mph down the lake... - 08/23/13 10:27 PM

Trim up a little more and gas it, Don't be scared Roger
Nothing like being air born in a bass boat
Posted By: Joe D

Re: say your running 74 mph down the lake... - 08/23/13 10:30 PM

I lost 4 rodnreel combos out of the rod n reel racks they used in the mid 80s to one of those cruisers.I installed the Rod Saver velcro strap sets to my current boat for back seat guests combos, it will take one heck of a wave to dislodge my gear or back seaters gear.
Posted By: Fish AKA Jerry

Re: say your running 74 mph down the lake... - 08/23/13 11:00 PM

When they sneek up on me like that I just scream like a little biatch as I go airborn.
Posted By: Bradshuflin aka hunter'sdad

Re: say your running 74 mph down the lake... - 08/23/13 11:06 PM

Hit one like that last year in a night tournament running about the same speed didnt even know what happened until i landed. Got a little scarry looking at the stars all of a sudden.
Posted By: MikeSouza

Re: say your running 74 mph down the lake... - 08/23/13 11:12 PM

I'm looking forward to November through March when they keep their big arse boats hibernated! Nothing worse then running wide open in glass and having a cruiser wake sneak up on ya!
Posted By: JoeyG

Re: say your running 74 mph down the lake... - 08/23/13 11:24 PM

Pucker Pucker
Posted By: furim2

Re: say your running 74 mph down the lake... - 08/23/13 11:26 PM

Been there, done that. Scarey. First one sent me airborn, completely jumped the second, back end hit first on the back side of the third. Felt like Evel Knievel. It's worse on a glass slick day. You don't see them till you're on top of them. Texoma is wide open body of water. You can see those cruisers from a mile away. Don't let it leave your mind, there's an enormous wake out there somewhere.

I'd like to know the answer to your question also.
Posted By: pil,b

Re: say your running 74 mph down the lake... - 08/23/13 11:38 PM

74 MPH at night, you got to be kidding,sounds like you have a death wish.
Posted By: Bass&More

Re: say your running 74 mph down the lake... - 08/23/13 11:41 PM

Originally Posted By: Fish AKA Jerry
When they sneek up on me like that I just scream like a little biatch as I go airborn.

clap peep
Posted By: Rickmb

Re: say your running 74 mph down the lake... - 08/24/13 12:15 AM

My wife and I hit one doing 60 something. She thought I saw it but I didn't see it in time. My only thought was, "This is not good." We hit it at an angle. We saw sky then water then sky then water. We came down slightly off line and the boat grabbed. I thought we were going out of the boat but we held on and I slammed back down on the Hotfoot and powered out of the rest. Then I let off and we idled, looked at each other and laughed. Then promptly decided it was time to go home.
There were hand prints indented in the steering wheel. I think it was clenching suction that held us down to the seats smile
Posted By: grout-scout

Re: say your running 74 mph down the lake... - 08/24/13 12:20 AM

I had a buddy that hit a wave made from the national park service boat at Amistad and it was so big his front pedestal and seat completely came out, went airborne and went over the entire boat.
Posted By: Douglas J

Re: say your running 74 mph down the lake... - 08/24/13 12:32 AM

The Zebra Mussel is karma for these boats. About 6 months of sitting still and most won't be usable!
Posted By: BVF_LoP_Guide

Re: say your running 74 mph down the lake... - 08/24/13 01:08 AM

Bass boats are getting so fast nowadays seems like we need 4 point harnesses in them now. Glad it turned out good for you man!
Posted By: Brandon Adamcik

Re: say your running 74 mph down the lake... - 08/24/13 01:33 AM

Hit one on the vine a couple months ago running into a setting sun. Looked over to see my partner hovering four feet off the seat. After a violent landing on his part, he complained about soar knee's and shins but he always complains so I blew it off. Next day I look at the passenger console and on each side of the oh sh-t handle are impact marks from both his knee's. Spider webbed the gel coat and broke fiberglass.

I blame him for his injuries. If he didn't bring so much [censored] he would have been holding the boat straps not a 100 lb tackle bag and 8 rods.
Posted By: Falcon Native

Re: say your running 74 mph down the lake... - 08/24/13 01:42 AM

Originally Posted By: XZ Dreamweaver
vest,kill switch and a quick prayer

+1
Posted By: krazy kris

Re: say your running 74 mph down the lake... - 08/24/13 02:01 AM

Hold my beer up a little higher and hit the Dixie horn
Posted By: Delvec

Re: say your running 74 mph down the lake... - 08/24/13 02:02 AM

Originally Posted By: Happykamper
and all of the sudden you encounter giant cruiser wakes, what do you do ? This happened to me a few weeks ago, I let off the throttle, it was not pretty, thought I was going to flip the boat. Should I have stayed in it ? Those cruiser wakes are hard to see until they are right on top of you, it was on Texoma, my wife was not very happy with me. grin

About the same as hitting one of the Pump House buoys @ 60 mph racing to get to a 10:00 pm weigh in, at a Lewisville Friday Niter. Put that Champion air born. And caused me to dooky my draws.
Posted By: Jeezy

Re: say your running 74 mph down the lake... - 08/24/13 02:31 AM

Happened to me on EM. Felt like we went ten feet in the air. I saw it in enough time to throttle down some and it was like a ramp. Sat down hard and never opened her up again that day.
Posted By: 9094

Re: say your running 74 mph down the lake... - 08/24/13 02:36 AM

I barrel rolled a skeeter wrangler on PK in 1980. Like a lot of boats back then I was over powered by 80 horses. Boat would run 80 on a speed gun. Hit big wave and rolled. Vividly remember the bottom of my partners tennis shoes as he sailed over my head out of the boat and I followed right after. Tore the console out with my knees.
My next boat was a monarch aluminum with a 50 Hp!
Posted By: Skeeter_Man1

Re: say your running 74 mph down the lake... - 08/24/13 04:46 AM

The second you see the wake trim down asap to keep from flying like a bird. Letting off the throttle will not help very much its all in the trim.
Posted By: FlatsFisher613

Re: say your running 74 mph down the lake... - 08/24/13 06:33 AM

Originally Posted By: Bradshuflin aka hunter'sdad
Hit one like that last year in a night tournament running about the same speed didnt even know what happened until i landed. Got a little scarry looking at the stars all of a sudden.

You got a big ole set on you to be running 74 at night man!
Posted By: Lee in Texas

Re: say your running 74 mph down the lake... - 08/24/13 10:26 AM

Originally Posted By: MikeSouza
I'm looking forward to November through March when they keep their big arse boats hibernated! Nothing worse then running wide open in glass and having a cruiser wake sneak up on ya!

thumb AMEN !!!
Posted By: JPeel

Re: say your running 74 mph down the lake... - 08/24/13 10:32 AM

Originally Posted By: krazy kris
thumb
Posted By: redraider4life

Re: say your running 74 mph down the lake... - 08/24/13 12:32 PM

I look forward to the day i have a boat that will run 74mph..

Re: say your running 74 mph down the lake... - 08/24/13 12:42 PM

I know to trim down but there was no time for it, the first wave sent me air born and I came down on top of the second or third, scared the [censored] out of me, I should have known better to run like that on a weekend on Texoma.
Posted By: eggs'isled

Re: say your running 74 mph down the lake... - 08/24/13 01:29 PM

we used to have all kinds of fun running the Ohio River with its commercial barge traffic...same thing running along at speed and then suddenly your air-born !...not much you can do when your boat leaves the water suddenly - your arse is out of the seat, then back in the seat, then outta the seat, then back in the seat...there is no time to hit the trim button down which first off is not a good idea cause you want the nose of your boat up so you don't plow into the next roller causing you to stop suddenly !!! thats a bad ride no matter how you look at it !...when ya get into that ride it's all ya can do to hold on and thank God you strapped down your rods and had your kill switch attached...weeeeee-doggies...LOL
Posted By: Ken A.

Re: say your running 74 mph down the lake... - 08/24/13 01:52 PM

Glad you're okay Roger (except for the bite outta ur butt) wink
Posted By: largemouthokie

Re: say your running 74 mph down the lake... - 08/24/13 01:58 PM

Rode with Roger this year, scared the heck out of me when there were no waves. I think if Roger did not fish, he could always try Nascar!

Re: say your running 74 mph down the lake... - 08/24/13 02:05 PM

I have two speeds, stop and go. If I get that new boat with a 300 XS on it I could be dangerous, maybe I will come to Broken bow for a fishing lesson.
Originally Posted By: largemouthokie
Rode with Roger this year, scared the heck out of me when there were no waves. I think if Roger did not fish, he could always try Nascar!

Re: say your running 74 mph down the lake... - 08/24/13 10:29 PM

If you get a 300, you can count me out! I'm not getting in that boat.
Posted By: ogles824 (aka Lakewaydr50)

Re: say your running 74 mph down the lake... - 08/24/13 10:40 PM

Did this on a river @ home in La. I rounded a bend in the river and hit the wake while I was banked at speed, still on plane I wound up knife edging my rig on the drivers side, thank God for kill switches and life vest. I landed without flipping or swamping my rig, but almost got thrown out and did get extremely wet. That's why I say there is never a time when operating a boat that a person should have all their safety gear on and functional. I've had few of these close in my life while running a bass rig and every time it was when I least expected it..........
Posted By: senko9S

Re: say your running 74 mph down the lake... - 08/24/13 10:59 PM

went airborn on texoma, knife edged the passenger side on the vine. just kept calm and rode it out.
Posted By: txwhitetail

Re: say your running 74 mph down the lake... - 08/24/13 11:05 PM

If you were going 74 guess you weren't in a ranger lol
Posted By: SnakeEyes

Re: say your running 74 mph down the lake... - 08/24/13 11:06 PM

so i have a question on this....

the Texas law states that each boater is responsible for his/her wake created by his/her own boat....so why cant these guys be fined???? if they cause damage they should be held responsible...

i have been on Texoma and had this happen as well. but i just trimmed down and went air born for a little but the cobra came down gentle so no harm but if it hadn't?
Posted By: 96speed

Re: say your running 74 mph down the lake... - 08/24/13 11:18 PM

Originally Posted By: krazy kris

LMAO.

Re: say your running 74 mph down the lake... - 08/24/13 11:25 PM

I have wondered the same thing SnakeEyes.
Posted By: lakeforkfisherman

Re: say your running 74 mph down the lake... - 08/24/13 11:39 PM

It's pretty scary till you learn to stay calm and use your trim. If its too late, its too late. Pucker up, hang on and hope for the best.
Posted By: fitter2259

Re: say your running 74 mph down the lake... - 08/24/13 11:53 PM

Originally Posted By: SnakeEyes

the Texas law states that each boater is responsible for his/her wake created by his/her own boat....so why cant these guys be fined???? if they cause damage they should be held responsible...

i have been on Texoma and had this happen as well. but i just trimmed down and went air born for a little but the cobra came down gentle so no harm but if it hadn't?

Im not sure but I believe this law is only applicable in "NO Wake" areas as designated by a governing body such as TP&W or law enforcement and only signs posted by a "municipality or government agency" can legally "designate" an area as No Wake. I don't believe your covered by this law running in open water in a bass boat doing 75 mph.

Re: say your running 74 mph down the lake... - 08/25/13 01:48 AM

Originally Posted By: fitter2259

Im not sure but I believe this law is only applicable in "NO Wake" areas as designated by a governing body such as TP&W or law enforcement and only signs posted by a "municipality or government agency" can legally "designate" an area as No Wake. I don't believe your covered by this law running in open water in a bass boat doing 75 mph.

check out this link

http://www.mctx.org/courts/justices_of_t...RKSWILDLIFE.pdf

EXCESSIVE SPEED CAUSING WAKE $110.00

Re: say your running 74 mph down the lake... - 08/25/13 01:51 AM

also from :

http://www.statutes.legis.state.tx.us/Docs/PW/htm/PW.31.htm

Sec. 31.098. HAZARDOUS WAKE OR WASH. No person may operate a motorboat so as to create a hazardous wake or wash.

Acts 1975, 64th Leg., p. 1405, ch. 545, Sec. 1, eff. Sept. 1, 1975.
Posted By: fitter2259

Re: say your running 74 mph down the lake... - 08/25/13 02:08 AM

So who creates a more hazardous wake a 32' pleasure boat doing 25mph or a bass boat doing 75 mph and who defines what the definition of what "hazardous" is. I think the larger boat obviously does but that's really beside the point. Are fisherman going to be so demanding as to demand that these larger boats be banned from the lakes..........Good luck in that endeavor. Do what you can to avoid the hazards and get to your spots as safely as possible just like we all do every time we go out.

Re: say your running 74 mph down the lake... - 08/25/13 02:10 AM

Bass boat on plane creates little wake...

Re: say your running 74 mph down the lake... - 08/25/13 02:12 AM

the point here is that the big boats are not being held accountable for their wake.

Re: say your running 74 mph down the lake... - 08/25/13 02:32 AM

Happykamper has no wake. The only thing in the water is the prop.
Posted By: Huckleberry

Re: say your running 74 mph down the lake... - 08/25/13 02:38 AM

If your in a 20' Bullet doing 90, don't slow down. I did this and hit the first wave of the wake and skipped the rest....unintentionally
Posted By: Cheesehead Wes

Re: say your running 74 mph down the lake... - 08/25/13 03:19 AM

the point here is that the big boats are not being held accountable for their wake.

The boats are made to throw a giant wake on purpose...why should they be held accountable?

Re: say your running 74 mph down the lake... - 08/25/13 03:22 AM

Should you get a ticket for littering every time you break off? The lake is made for all recreation....If you don't like the wake boats......Go home
Posted By: FlatsFisher613

Re: say your running 74 mph down the lake... - 08/25/13 03:46 AM

Originally Posted By: Cheesehead Wes
Should you get a ticket for littering every time you break off? The lake is made for all recreation....If you don't like the wake boats......Go home

+1, or just be there earlier. I hate to say it but the rec boats help keep the waters open too.
Posted By: fishmagnet

Re: say your running 74 mph down the lake... - 08/25/13 03:47 AM

Bam!
Posted By: Bass Buster I

Re: say your running 74 mph down the lake... - 08/25/13 03:59 AM

just like when there is a tournament on Alan Henry
all the pleasure boaters complain about the fishing boats
and next week school starts back that will knock about 1/2 the traffic off the lake
then Nov and Dec then the cold fronts hit then that will take the rest

cant wait till Nov and Dec.
Posted By: Bass Buster I

Re: say your running 74 mph down the lake... - 08/25/13 04:02 AM

Dont care for the Wake boats coming right by me and and have to sit down or be tossed over

any boat is responsible for their Wake
if something is damaged or lost due to ones Wake then that person is responsible

Re: say your running 74 mph down the lake... - 08/25/13 04:06 AM

I bet u get mad at 18 wheelers on the road bc they throw that big gust of wind at you... get those 18 wheelers off the road. They should be responsible for their own wind...

Re: say your running 74 mph down the lake... - 08/25/13 06:48 AM

guys get back on subj.. we are not talking about wake boats we are talking about being accountable for your wake.

there is a law.. if you cause damage you are accountable.

i understand that the rec boats have their place but when you capsize another boat because of your inability to consider another and cause damage or worse, you are liable. food for thought... think about that next time you "buzz another boat" ..

most wake boats dont bother me... but the 80ft monstrosities on texoma throw a 3-5ft roller and they just keep on going.
Posted By: joebass2

Re: say your running 74 mph down the lake... - 08/25/13 12:31 PM

Originally Posted By: FlatsFisher613

Or a lot less than that between the ears
Posted By: Steve187 (A.K.A. GETFISHED )

Re: say your running 74 mph down the lake... - 08/25/13 12:56 PM

I kinda think this boils down to one of the things that makes USA great and at the same time not so great. It's like two kids playing together. All is well as long as they are getting along. When that is no longer working then rules must be set down. No one wants more rules/laws but that is the only way unfortunately IMO to manage the use of freedom when to exercise it causes harm to others. Most lakes you can float and run a Carnival Cruiser if you can find a way to get it to a launch and launch it. Running 74 at night with passengers will also raise risk if not harm others. Where should we start with the rulemaking ? Would I run 74 at night with passengers on a lake I was familiar with ? I would like to say no , but I can't guarantee it ? I only hope reading this thread will give me pause to gather my priorities and then govern myself accordingly
Posted By: krawlin 47

Re: say your running 74 mph down the lake... - 08/25/13 01:09 PM

Lower the trim, stay steady on the gas and hold on....read the wake and it will all work out.

My wife wouldnt be happy with me if I was going 74 if she was in the boat to begin with! I will do that when alone or in a tournament ... not with my wife in the boat though.
Posted By: Fishspanker

Re: say your running 74 mph down the lake... - 08/25/13 01:21 PM

Sometimes you have to know when you should slow it down a little.

Re: say your running 74 mph down the lake... - 08/25/13 01:36 PM

The boats are made to throw a giant wake on purpose...why should they be held accountable?

Wes, I think most guys realize that all boats have a right to be on the water. The problem for bass fishermen is usually when they are not under power and a wake board boat or other large boat goes too close to you when you are obviously sitting still and they make a point to buzz you so they can show you how cool they are when there is a wide open lake with thousands of acres to run. One example would be if a fisherman is sitting at one end of a two mile long dam and a wake boat decides to run the entire two miles and wake you every time he passes. One would think that a mile and three quarters would be enough. But no, they want to run the entire two miles. Why? I would suggest that it is because they only think of themselves number one or are just plain arse holes number two or both. Can you think of a situation that bass fishermen intrude upon wake board waters and create problems for them? Thought not.
Posted By: ogles824 (aka Lakewaydr50)

Re: say your running 74 mph down the lake... - 08/25/13 02:37 PM

Originally Posted By: krawlin 47
Lower the trim, stay steady on the gas and hold on....read the wake and it will all work out.

My wife wouldnt be happy with me if I was going 74 if she was in the boat to begin with! I will do that when alone or in a tournament ... not with my wife in the boat though.
I ran out of Little Caney on Fork one day with my wife on board. I was approaching 72 mph when all of the sudden the boat paddle comes out of the rod box. From then on she was my chauffeur if she was with me. I had already taught her how to get it off and on the trailer so all I had to do was prep it and back it in so it worked out........
Posted By: Bradshuflin aka hunter'sdad

Re: say your running 74 mph down the lake... - 08/25/13 04:41 PM

Originally Posted By: joebass2
Originally Posted By: FlatsFisher613

Or a lot less than that between the ears

Guess you don't fish at night much

Re: say your running 74 mph down the lake... - 08/25/13 04:48 PM

Like I said earlier, I should have known better than to run that fast on Texoma, especially in the middle of the day, won't happen again, I hope.
Posted By: krawlin 47

Re: say your running 74 mph down the lake... - 08/25/13 05:50 PM

Like I said earlier, I should have known better than to run that fast on Texoma, especially in the middle of the day, won't happen again, I hope.

cheers
Posted By: hopefullythisworks

Re: say your running 74 mph down the lake... - 08/25/13 05:51 PM

bahahahahahahaha
Posted By: Lowly Net Boy

Re: say your running 74 mph down the lake... - 08/25/13 09:08 PM

Most likely the outcome ain't gonna be pretty could even get plum nasty, so my advise would be to go ahead and kick up a notch to about 80, go ahead and have some fun before you check out
Posted By: forkduc

Re: say your running 74 mph down the lake... - 08/25/13 09:35 PM

Probably should have been running 20 mph less.
Posted By: FiShYBoY

Re: say your running 74 mph down the lake... - 08/26/13 12:21 AM

Happened to a friend of mine last year fishing a tourney on Lewisville, nose of the boat pointed straight up at the sky and when they came down they were both ejected from the boat. Both ok, just a little sore for awhile. The Champion was totaled!

They did have jackets and kill switch engaged
Posted By: Toad Jerker

Re: say your running 74 mph down the lake... - 08/27/13 03:54 PM

I know that feeling well!! My dad and I came up on a boat wake only running about 50mph but had about a 25mph head wind and when we hit it the boat came out of the water and the wind kept the nose coming up and as all of the stuff in the trolling motor pedal tray came over our heads the back of the boat hit the water and got a nice shower from landing at such a steep angle that it sprayed water over us from the back of the boat. After it was all over the boats around us were yelling and cheering for us as it was obviously fun for them to watch. We also had the same thing happen in his 21' Baja on possum kingdom but we were running about 75mph that day.
Posted By: BMCD

Re: say your running 74 mph down the lake... - 08/27/13 05:48 PM

heck happened to me on Travis going bout 45, with my kids in the boat. Let off the throttle and trimmed down, hit the first wave just right to launch the boat, My middle daughter was always scared to ride with me after that.

Re: say your running 74 mph down the lake... - 08/27/13 06:08 PM

Sounds like Arron Martins had a similar situation the other day, broke the bolts off the motor and jack plate.
Posted By: the skipper

Re: say your running 74 mph down the lake... - 08/28/13 02:32 AM

Wes, I think most guys realize that all boats have a right to be on the water. The problem for bass fishermen is usually when they are not under power and a wake board boat or other large boat goes too close to you when you are obviously sitting still and they make a point to buzz you so they can show you how cool they are when there is a wide open lake with thousands of acres to run. One example would be if a fisherman is sitting at one end of a two mile long dam and a wake boat decides to run the entire two miles and wake you every time he passes. One would think that a mile and three quarters would be enough. But no, they want to run the entire two miles. Why? I would suggest that it is because they only think of themselves number one or are just plain arse holes number two or both. Can you think of a situation that bass fishermen intrude upon wake board waters and create problems for them? Thought not.

They probably think by fishing the dam you are intruding on them. Doesn't make it right.As for being responsible for wake, the argument would be if you slowed down their wake wouldn't cause damage. I'm not a fan of pleasure boaters but reality is, its just as much their lake. I try to fish where they don't go, timber and stuff, although its not always an option, and just slow down when there are a lot of boats out
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum