Texas Fishing Forum

Flipping reel

Posted By: dradkins

Flipping reel - 08/23/13 11:34 AM

Looking to get a new flipping rod and reel. I know which rod I want but can't decide on a reel. I usually fish with Lews or chronarchs but was wondering if I could get something less expensive since I won't be casting. Suggestions?
Posted By: 361V

Re: Flipping reel - 08/23/13 11:52 AM

I flip, cast, pitch, chunk, throw, heave....all with the same reels...the ones I like! Honestly, with the exception of a smaller reel for light weight finesse type fishing I use the reels I like for all applications. For me it's the Revo STX, for you it's whatever you like now. I do not think you will be happy getting a cheap reel simply because you will be "making shorter casts". I actually find I need the smoothest reel for short distance flipping/pitching otherwise you will be fighting backlashes the whole time. Just my two cents(I'll take a penny for them)! :-)
Posted By: Bryanmc57

Re: Flipping reel - 08/23/13 12:23 PM

Shimano Castaic if you can find one.
Posted By: dradkins

Re: Flipping reel - 08/23/13 12:43 PM

That's kind of what I was thinking 361v, flipping is new to me bc the lakes I fish never really needed to so I was curious everyone's thoughts.

Thanks again
Posted By: Bassin2win

Re: Flipping reel - 08/23/13 01:50 PM

Abu Garcia STX in the 8.0:1 gear ratio. Awesome reel for flipping and pitching. It gets those fish out of that cover in a hurry!
Posted By: senko 10lb

Re: Flipping reel - 08/23/13 06:11 PM

Shimano chronarch 200e7 nice reel you can buy new and used for 150-160 all day. My personal fav is the core, light and one bad a$$ reel !
Posted By: lamoon78

Re: Flipping reel - 08/23/13 11:16 PM

Lews
Posted By: GrantJ

Re: Flipping reel - 08/23/13 11:28 PM

Best bang for your buck would be a

Lews Tournament MG 7.1:1 Gear ratio.

14lbs of Drag, Long 95mm aluminum handle and a deep spool for big line. Can be had on ebay for like 95 bucks
Posted By: CrankBait1007

Re: Flipping reel - 08/23/13 11:40 PM

i say this find a reel you like....(i personally like a reel with a flipping switch)and super tune it!
Posted By: fitter2259

Re: Flipping reel - 08/23/13 11:41 PM

For me its something light and fits your hand comfortably since your going to be working the wrist and arm a lot you don't want to wear yourself out. Even if your not casting with it your still going to want a smooth action. Was the Ardent XS 1000 until about 2 months ago but I'm starting to like the Lews BB1 just as much.
Posted By: MagFluker

Re: Flipping reel - 08/24/13 09:14 PM

Originally Posted By: 361V
I flip, cast, pitch, chunk, throw, heave....all with the same reels...the ones I like! Honestly, with the exception of a smaller reel for light weight finesse type fishing I use the reels I like for all applications. For me it's the Revo STX, for you it's whatever you like now. I do not think you will be happy getting a cheap reel simply because you will be "making shorter casts". I actually find I need the smoothest reel for short distance flipping/pitching otherwise you will be fighting backlashes the whole time. Just my two cents(I'll take a penny for them)! :-)

+1. Love my Revo STX for flippin, then when in doubt, cast it out!
Posted By: Lee in Texas

Re: Flipping reel - 08/24/13 09:22 PM

Originally Posted By: CrankBait1007
i say this find a reel you like....(i personally like a reel with a flipping switch)and super tune it!
thumb
Posted By: Fish AKA Jerry

Re: Flipping reel - 08/24/13 10:31 PM

I bought a Johnny Morris at BPS and its really a pretty good reel and its priced right. I use it all the time.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum