Texas Fishing Forum

Texoma smallmouth tactics

Posted By: Bardwell

Texoma smallmouth tactics - 07/23/13 03:13 PM

Going to put in at Eisenhower or the dam Friday morning and I'm looking for some tips. I've fished that area before, but it's been a long time. Thinking about throwing medium running crankbaits along the dam and rocky points like Perot to Eisenhower. If anybody has had any success in that area lately, I would appreciate a little advice 😉
Posted By: David Medler

Re: Texoma smallmouth tactics - 07/23/13 03:22 PM

Try a finesse jig in brown/ amber with a Berkley chigger crawl trailer in green pumpkin. Work it fast and swim it some. Also try some drop shot stuff about half way across around the dam, ( couple 100 yds out from the shore) humps and rock piles. Study your map to locate those area. Good luck
Posted By: Craig K

Re: Texoma smallmouth tactics - 07/23/13 03:48 PM

I was out two weeks ago we were catching fish on wind blown points on the southern shore from the dam to eishenhower. The smallmouth we caught were on 1.5's, 2.5's dropshot, shakeyhead, and a couple on medium divers. Some of the fish we were catching were puking up shad fry so I wouldnt hesitate to try a smaller medium diving crankbait or a 1.0
Posted By: spectrumdeepv1

Re: Texoma smallmouth tactics - 07/23/13 04:20 PM

Hey Bardwell,
Try snap jigging with tube jigs combined with hair jigs. As Outlaw said the amber and browns work well. It's my go-to color also. Don't forget about the red hair ones though. Think crayfish. Combined with the white tube jigs with metal flake you have a recipe for shad imitation and increase your chances of hooking LMB and Stripers too. Just slide the tube jigs over the hair jig and punch only the eyelit thru the head of the tube jig from the inside. You can add pinch weights to the shaft of the tube jig as needed. This is a fun technique because you never know what's gonna to hit. You get either that slight doink thump or you get a freight train coming thru. It's what I consider my nailbiter approach. Like The Turtleman says, "Git You Suuuum."
Posted By: skeet skeet7

Re: Texoma smallmouth tactics - 07/23/13 06:51 PM

Originally Posted By: OUTLAWMEDLER
Try a finesse jig in brown/ amber with a Berkley chigger crawl trailer in green pumpkin. Work it fast and swim it some. Also try some drop shot stuff about half way across around the dam, ( couple 100 yds out from the shore) humps and rock piles. Study your map to locate those area. Good luck
I found that they wanted it slow this past sunday
Posted By: Bardwell

Re: Texoma smallmouth tactics - 07/24/13 12:51 AM

Thanks! That's good stuff. I wonder if my personal favorite (watermelon red baby brush hog) might work? Hoping this set up is close to what you're talking about on the jig?
Posted By: Bradshuflin aka hunter'sdad

Re: Texoma smallmouth tactics - 07/24/13 01:06 AM

That should work fine

Re: Texoma smallmouth tactics - 07/24/13 03:55 AM

Looks good Bardwell but if your not getting bit using the crazy legs try the chigger crawl, the pinchers are a little longer with better action.

Re: Texoma smallmouth tactics - 07/24/13 04:07 AM

I catch a lot of LM on that brush hog but not many SM, doesn't mean they won't hit it though. Give it a try. Let us know how it goes.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum