Texas Fishing Forum

TM Plug almost caught fire. Always unplug.

Posted By: gonefishing51077

TM Plug almost caught fire. Always unplug. - 06/29/13 04:00 PM

I had my Motorguide TM plug start smoking while I was out fishing Thursday night. I noticed the smoke I unplugged it Right then. It was so hot I couldn't touch it. I had just turned all the cut off switches on my boat to ON before I left the house. I'm lucky this didn't happen while driving down the road. I used to leave everything hooked up with no cut off switches but added them after battery issues just incase I had something that was drawing them down. If I had everything hooked up like I used to this could have happened in my garage while I was gone.

Just a thought for you guys. Please consider unplugging your TM before you put your boat away each time. Or add cut of switches. Might save you a bunch of trouble or your life.

This was original plug. 8 years old never had an issue.

Posted By: Top Waters

Re: TM Plug almost caught fire. Always unplug. - 06/29/13 04:34 PM

I had a MK do that to me about 5 years ago. I was lucky my boat didn't burn. Always unplug now.
Posted By: Chuck N. Wind

Re: TM Plug almost caught fire. Always unplug. - 06/29/13 05:43 PM

It doesn't always have to be a short to cause issues. A loose connection will cause heat like that and could eventually lead to fire. It's a good idea to go over electrical connections and tighten as part of maintenance.
Posted By: Donald Harper

Re: TM Plug almost caught fire. Always unplug. - 06/29/13 05:44 PM

I have had the battery charger burn out switches on the trolling moter and mother board a couple of times with it plugged in while charging.
Posted By: AlabamaJack

Re: TM Plug almost caught fire. Always unplug. - 06/29/13 05:47 PM

that happened to me yesterday morning while I was on the lake...overheating and melting the plug...the motor just quit as I was trucking along...found out the reason it quit was the breaker threw...I straight-wired the TM to the plug wires...but I also have a big foot in the system too...

do you think I am risking too much straight wiring it like that?
Posted By: Chuck N. Wind

Re: TM Plug almost caught fire. Always unplug. - 06/29/13 05:55 PM

A circuit breaker (normally 60amp) should always be used on a TM. If it trips there is another problem. Likely a loose connection or a short that needs to be fixed. All other electrical should at least have fuses of the appropriate amperage. Never straight wiring unless temporary for testing. Safety first.
Posted By: T Bird

Re: TM Plug almost caught fire. Always unplug. - 06/29/13 07:13 PM

Corrosion on back side of plug can/will cause arching across plug terminals.
Posted By: hopalong

Re: TM Plug almost caught fire. Always unplug. - 06/29/13 08:02 PM

just flip your breaker when you get off the water, its one of my ready for the road items. just remember to flip it back on before launch and your good.
Posted By: Easy Fisherman

Re: TM Plug almost caught fire. Always unplug. - 06/29/13 08:37 PM

Ialways flip both breakers in the back while on the road & charging to keep that and the power poles from doing the same - I saw some power poles burn up the inside of the battery dept once also - turn the power off to everything once on the trailer
Posted By: stratos1760dv

Re: TM Plug almost caught fire. Always unplug. - 06/29/13 09:21 PM

Good advice here. I am going to start flipping switch
Posted By: gonefishing51077

Re: TM Plug almost caught fire. Always unplug. - 06/29/13 10:22 PM

AlabamaJack

I learned the hard way about straight wiring stuff when I was about 19. Hook up some lights on my truck straight off battery. long story short..one of the wires broke a year later and smoke started pooring into the cab while going down the road pulled over and popped the hood and the hot wire (I Think) had burned all the insulation off and was glowing red I grab my knife and pulled up to pop the wire which it did but the wire flew over the fender and was now swinging around and burning paint off my fender. Scared me big time. Could have been prevented with a 10 cent in line fuse.

always always use a fuse or circuit breaker. Better safe than sorry.
Posted By: Fishspanker

Re: TM Plug almost caught fire. Always unplug. - 06/30/13 12:47 AM

Most likely a corroded or lose connection while pulling current. Trolling Motors are fairly high amperage.
Posted By: Robert Anderson

Re: TM Plug almost caught fire. Always unplug. - 06/30/13 01:37 AM

If you will look at all Rangers from 2004 and up they dont use plugs, hard wire is only way to go. the female side of the plug has a drain hole in them and most are put upside down and dont drain. breaker are a must. go by a Ranger dealer and look at the way they are hooked up and the breaker you can turn off.
Posted By: Skeeterag99

Re: TM Plug almost caught fire. Always unplug. - 06/30/13 02:25 PM

hardwire only way to go. I have a 60 amp breaker on each battery as well is only thing in between battery and motor. Those plugs cant handle the new fortrex power especially. I burned mine up after trolling on 100 power for long period. hard wired and it has worked flawlessly. those plugs are junk IMO. and yes ranger did away wth the plug they straight hard wire them now. The more connection points the more problems you will have.
Posted By: Riptide103

Re: TM Plug almost caught fire. Always unplug. - 06/30/13 04:35 PM

Glad this was not more of a "memory" than it was. Thanks for the info and post.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum