Texas Fishing Forum

Lake Hamilton Hot Springs--Bass Fishing

Posted By: Cass Caldwell

Lake Hamilton Hot Springs--Bass Fishing - 06/25/13 01:35 AM

We are taking a little family vacation to Hot Springs and staying on Lake Hamilton, so I'm going to drag my boat up there. I know it's not known to be a great bass fishery, but just wondering if any of you have fished it? I've never been on it and was just wondering how it is? Hopefully, I can catch a few.

Thanks.
Posted By: Phoenix 920 Pro xp

Re: Lake Hamilton Hot Springs--Bass Fishing - 06/25/13 01:39 AM

tough lake. go to lake ouachita everything is better

Re: Lake Hamilton Hot Springs--Bass Fishing - 06/25/13 01:49 AM

Thanks.
Posted By: TwoRangers

Re: Lake Hamilton Hot Springs--Bass Fishing - 06/25/13 02:12 AM

I live on it and it is tough right now.....I would recommend DeGray or Ouachita. Hamilton is a pretty good lake until summertime when all the recreation boaters hit the water. DeGray or Ouachita would be a better bet. I like DeGray better myself and fish there a lot this time of year.

You and the family will probably have a nice time. There is a lot of stuff to do and good places to eat and such at Hot Springs. Nice place to visit and also live.
Posted By: Tex20

Re: Lake Hamilton Hot Springs--Bass Fishing - 06/25/13 02:13 AM

Hamilton is shallow compared to Ouachita and the fishing is not as good. I was on Hamilton a couple of weeks ago and the water temps had fallen quite a bit due to all the water being moved from Ouachita. The water is cold year round on the Ouachita end. The lake is beautiful and still worth giving a shot, but if you get a chance drive next door to Ouachita.

Re: Lake Hamilton Hot Springs--Bass Fishing - 06/25/13 02:18 AM

Thanks for the info, maybe I'll focus on putting my son on some bluegill or whites then.

How long does it take to get to Ouachita?
Posted By: Tex20

Re: Lake Hamilton Hot Springs--Bass Fishing - 06/25/13 02:20 AM

Only a few minutes.
Posted By: spacityjason

Re: Lake Hamilton Hot Springs--Bass Fishing - 06/25/13 03:09 AM

I live on Hamilton as well. This time of year, especially during the day, you are taking your life in your own hands. Way to much pleasure traffic. You will cross over DeGray on your way to HS, coming up HWY 7. I was out until 2:30 AM this morning fishing on DeGray and it was tough. Water temp about 88 deg., and the bite was deep on soft plastics. If your really want to have some fun, go to Ouachita with your son, take a tube of crickets, and you can catch bream all day long. Early and late you may could find some breakers. But, keep this mind, the closer to the 4th of July you get, all of these Diamond Lakes will be crowded. C'mon and enjoy the Spa City, but the lakes will be crowded. Also, from HS, you are only about 25-30 min. from Ouachita. Crystal Springs will probably be your best bet. Its mid lake, and easy to get to. Brady Mountain is nice, but about 7 miles of winding road to get there. Mountain Harbor is the biggest, but another 15-20 min West. Give a shout if you have more ?'s. I'll help if I can.

Re: Lake Hamilton Hot Springs--Bass Fishing - 06/25/13 04:43 PM

Thanks for the info. Is the bream fishing not even good on Hamilton?

Originally Posted By: spacityjason
I live on Hamilton as well. This time of year, especially during the day, you are taking your life in your own hands. Way to much pleasure traffic. You will cross over DeGray on your way to HS, coming up HWY 7. I was out until 2:30 AM this morning fishing on DeGray and it was tough. Water temp about 88 deg., and the bite was deep on soft plastics. If your really want to have some fun, go to Ouachita with your son, take a tube of crickets, and you can catch bream all day long. Early and late you may could find some breakers. But, keep this mind, the closer to the 4th of July you get, all of these Diamond Lakes will be crowded. C'mon and enjoy the Spa City, but the lakes will be crowded. Also, from HS, you are only about 25-30 min. from Ouachita. Crystal Springs will probably be your best bet. Its mid lake, and easy to get to. Brady Mountain is nice, but about 7 miles of winding road to get there. Mountain Harbor is the biggest, but another 15-20 min West. Give a shout if you have more ?'s. I'll help if I can.
Posted By: spacityjason

Re: Lake Hamilton Hot Springs--Bass Fishing - 06/25/13 06:11 PM

Bream fishing is better on Ouachita, simply because of the cover. Ouachita has some grass coming back, Hamilton doesn't have any. Also, Ouachita gives you a better chance to hide from the crowd. Don't get me wrong, I'm not down playing Hamilton, but it's truly a play lake this time of year. Not that Ouachita isn't, but it's bigger and you can generally find a place to hide.
Posted By: Phoenix 920 Pro xp

Re: Lake Hamilton Hot Springs--Bass Fishing - 06/26/13 06:03 AM

good to hear the grass is coming back on ouachita
ouachita has some huge bream and make sure u go early for largemouth
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum